axi0m's 6-Week Challenge 2

axi0m

Hello random internet community. 

This will be my 2nd 6-week challenge and hopefully one I succeed at this time ;-)

Race: Dúnedain

Class: Ranger

goals

=====

fitness/diet

1. bench press 3x150lb

2. run 5k

3. 3x10 underhand pull-ups

4. meditate more than once a week

plan

======

1. weight train at least 3 days a week, getting enough sleep and nutrients to maintain the weight

2. begin with interval training, increase the duration slowly (note: since my goal is not to go hard 6 days a week I'll probably have days where I do some weight training and interval cardio at beginning of workout, some days I'll do just cardio when I'm not lifting)

3. I've been meeting with my local Zen Meditation Center each Tuesday night, but I'd like to very gradually begin increasing my time spent meditating for 20 minutes or more throughout the week. 

Overall I recognize several takeaways from my goal setting over the past year. For me to be successful I require flexibility in my the amount of time spent and routine. Although I enjoy structure in many other aspects of my life, I cannot be successful at anything unless I truly want to do the activity and can automate my reactions. 

Updating: I will be reminded via alerts to update this post with weekly required updates, I may post sooner but I doubt it. 

Feedback: Please if you have any feedback to the goals I've set or to the methods I'm using, please feel free to share, I enjoy criticism. 

I created a group that is also the name of my race in the Accountability spreadsheet, instructions didn't seem clear to me about how these teams are managed or if I'm responsible for collaborating with everyone involved. If you have further information on this, please let me know. 

Hey! As you can tell by my post count I was around here quite a lot last winter/spring, but after a 6-month layoff from the boards (mostly stayed on program though), I think I qualify as a re-newbie. I like your goals (have been reading up on Zen myself and meditating at home, though I don't really have the spare time right now to join one of the local centers), and would be willing to be a buddy. I'm fuzzy on the acountabilibuddy thing myself (it came in while I was on hiatus), the stats and attributes are just for fun. If nothing else we can just cheer each other on in our threads, i figure. :-) I'll go ahead and add myself to your group, if you don't mind a hobbit hanging around. :-)

Hobbit Ranger
Current Challenge thread

Dúnedain Team Thread

Check out my Musings on Fandom, Life, and the connections between the two at Fandom Lenses
LEVEL: 2 | STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 2 | CON 4 | WIS 9 (+5 from Year of Our WTF) | CHA 5 (+3 from Year of Our WTF)
Tu, was du willst (Do What You Wish)
The Neverending Story, Michael Ende

My 2013 Challenge #1 is dedicated to Melissa Montag, 1975-2012. I Love you AnissaSis! :-)

Yes! The zen meditating ranger group grows!!

Meditating at home works just fine assuming you have the space and quiet for it. I find with my living situation this is difficult, since my Zen center is only 10 minutes away, getting there and back again isn't a problem. *See what I did there?!? hahahaha

Now I just need to create my signature to be as cool as yours. 

Yeah, the closest place is about a half hour, and I'm already driving into town a lot for class and pilates. Plus I have a nice quiet house when hubby's on the computer and i evict the cats from the room. Also also, I've had less than ideal experiences with "gurus" (of various types) in the past, and i haven't had a chance to R&D the local options to see if they're y'know, sane. And yes--Very cute. ;-)

Hobbit Ranger
Current Challenge thread

Dúnedain Team Thread

Check out my Musings on Fandom, Life, and the connections between the two at Fandom Lenses
LEVEL: 2 | STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 2 | CON 4 | WIS 9 (+5 from Year of Our WTF) | CHA 5 (+3 from Year of Our WTF)

My 2013 Challenge #1 is dedicated to Melissa Montag, 1975-2012. I Love you AnissaSis! :-)

Date: Jan 9th

Focus: Bodyweight training without gym

Duration: 20 minutes

Set 1

4 underhand pull-ups

10 push-ups

20 sit-ups

20 lunges (10 per leg)

20 prisoner squats

Set 2

2 underhand and 2 overhand pull-ups

12 push-ups

20 sit-ups

20 lunges (10 per leg)

20 prisoner squats

This doesn't include my 5 minute warm up and cool down exercises. 

I did not do any running or meditating today. I should have drank more water, WAY too much coffee in the morning so I could survive my training. 

Note: It is crazy how important momentum is, earlier last year from Jan-July my workout routine was flawless, then it got weaker and now I'm back to square one trying to gain my muscle mass back again. Oh well!!!

Note: It is crazy how important momentum is, earlier last year from Jan-July my workout routine was flawless, then it got weaker and now I'm back to square one trying to gain my muscle mass back again. Oh well!!!

Too true! I've lost so much speed since early november, when I took a walking training break after a 5K that wound up lasting through the holidays, it's kind of pathetic. It bounces back surprisingly fast though, my legs already are firming back up. I seem to be a pretty easy muscle gainer though, at least by female standards. Good luck!

Hobbit Ranger
Current Challenge thread

Dúnedain Team Thread

Nice work on the bodyweight exercises! I like your goals, too.  Very straightforward and they look very achievable!

Thanks for setting up the Accountabilibuddy group, too.  It's always helpful for me to know some folks are keeping an eye on me.

Level 32 Minifig Jedi Assassin

Current Challenge  | Battle Log | "Epic" Quest

Previous Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6789101111.51213141516171819, 2021222324, 25, 262728293031323334

"A man who wants to do something will find a way; a man who doesn't will find an excuse." -Stephan Dolley, Jr.

"You don't get stronger by skipping workouts." - me, to myself, about 3 times a week

Date: Jan 12th

Focus: Bodyweight training without gym

Duration: 30 minutes

Set 1

4 underhand pull-ups

12 push-ups

10 sit-ups

20 leg raises

24 lunges (12 per leg)

20 prisoner squats

Set 2

1 underhand and 3 overhand pull-ups

12 push-ups

20 leg raises

24 lunges (12 per leg)

20 prisoner squats

Set 3

4 underhand pull-ups

12 push-ups

20 leg raises

24 lunges (12 per leg)

20 prisoner squats

I tried to get my running in at the gym today but I just got a new membership there and they close at 8:45pm and I can sometimes be sporadic about what time I show up on the weekend, got there at 8:30pm, lol. So I went home and did straight bodyweight again. 

I really need to get to the treadmill tomorrow morning though, I've got a 5K coming up and I have to get back and train for the next few weeks to get my body used to it again. I'd run outside but, well in MN it is like 12 degrees out and I do not have the clothes for that. Plus I do not LOVE running so it's just easier to do 15-20 minutes of interval or more during my usual weight training routine at the gym. 

Thanks everyone for actually looking at this thing! I appreciate the support. 

Good session! Good luck with the run today!

Hobbit Ranger
Current Challenge thread

Dúnedain Team Thread

Date: Jan 13th

Focus: Run

Duration: 20 minutes

Sunday all I did was run about 20 minutes on the treadmill, averaged speed of 6mph with 4.0 incline not including a 5 minute cool down. 

Today I haven't done anything, I've been cramming for my Cloud+ cert tomorrow before work. 

Don't have a lot of time to post further details. I'll run tomorrow and do my weight training after meditation. Expect next post on Wednesday. 

Hey man! Hope everything is still going well with your challenge. Let us know if you need any butt-kicking!

Level 32 Minifig Jedi Assassin

Current Challenge  | Battle Log | "Epic" Quest

Previous Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6789101111.51213141516171819, 2021222324, 25, 262728293031323334

"A man who wants to do something will find a way; a man who doesn't will find an excuse." -Stephan Dolley, Jr.

"You don't get stronger by skipping workouts." - me, to myself, about 3 times a week

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines