Jaimee's Time-Traveling Adventure

Jaimee

Two, almost three years ago, I was diagnosed with Non-Celiac Gluten Intolerance and Dairy allergies. After this discovery, my life style totally changed. I was eating fruits, vegetables and meat. I was walking or being active in other ways. I lost close to forty pounds. I was down to size 11 in juniors (which I thought would be impossible to fit on my body). Then I was in a car accident that left me in extreme pain, and I have to be careful with my right arm because of an A-C separation that left it very weak. Little factoid about me, when I'm in pain, I have no self-control...as in double bacon cheeseburgers and milkshakes. Then I started a new school, with a crazy hectic schedule and up went my fast food intake.

Back in June of 2012, a friend of mine suggested looking into the paleo eating style (yes, I didn't use diet on purpose). I had recently started working 7.5 hour days where I was sitting at a computer with really nothing to do. So I looked into it. Lo and behold, I found this crazy little blog with lego men hunting a plastic animal. I read every blog that had been posted. It made sense to me so I looked into the community section. I attempted to participate in three challenges, but only completed one... :nightmare: Part of this was because I had another wreck (one year to the day of my first one) and a few weeks later caught the stomach flu (thought my appendix was going to rupture...) and lost all desire to continue. (And it was the last bit of school. Finals and research papers and procrastination=no more time!) 

To top everything off, two months ago it was confirmed that I am hypoglycemic. The good news is it can be controlled with diet and, you guessed it, exercise. Now that I am back up to my pre-diagnosis weight, I feel like I've been touched by a weeping angel, only I was returned to my old body.

Now I'm finding a T.A.R.D.I.S. and taking my body back. This time next year, I intend to be 50 pounds lighter and in control of my body. If I'm going to time travel, I need to be able to run because as Donna said, "There's an awful lot of running." In preparation I am going to work on my cardio! yay!

Starting stats (no measurements yet...my measuring tape is hidden somewhere in the vast reaches of my room): Height: roughly 5'11" weight: 212.1lbs (boooooo) BMI: 29.6 (not good ja!) BF%: 37.7% (really bad) and hydration Index: 2.71

So here's my goals:

4 zumba songs 2 a week  5 STA

No gluten/dairy 3 CON

Limit to 1 Sugary drink 3 CON

Go to Sunday School every Sunday 4 WIS

I already know that the SS goal is going to be hard because, being late is like hereditary in my family. But, hey! That's what time travel is for right? So here's to a happy challenge!

themonk
Elf in Reboot
Self-reset level 0
Current challenge :D
"The enemy's gate is down" Ender's Game

Weight loss 0%
Weight loss 0%

Hi Jaimee. Health struggles are so draining. Keep fighting and start from where you are at is all you can do. Goals look good! Remember to give yourself partial credit when you are grading. Is your sugary drink 1/week? Good luck!

Level 4 Human Adventurer:  current challenge  ||| battle log stardate: 4/15-5/27/13STR - 4 | DEX - 4.5 | STA - 5.5 | CON - 6 | WIS - 7 | CHA - 6You want me to do something... tell me I can't do it. -Maya Angelou

Hooray, Jaimee! I'm doing a bit of the TARDIS thing, too, since I used to live a very active lifestyle and kept fit without thinking about it. Back to the future! My naturopathic physician is about to start a Clean Thrive class which will help me determine if I have gluten/dairy/etc. sensitivities, too. She hasn't set an definite start date yet, but I'm really looking forward to finding out.

Sounds like you and Steve Kamb (NerdFitness founder) are both working on lateness issues. Maybe you can give/get some high level support (heh!).

Bravo for jumping back into the challenge arena again!

P.S. I just reread "The Time Machine" by H.G. Wells. I'd forgotten what a thriller it was! Fun! (It's free online, if you're interested.)

Human Ranger, Level 10
Long-term Goal: Hike WA section of Pacific Crest Trail, August 2014

Current Challenge | Facebook (personal & locavore) | Blog | Twitter

"You stand at the verge, and you could become anything." - Dan Chaon

Kirkor, I am female...need to reload my avatar...

alarep...I'm thinking 1 a day...then weaning it down from that but i'm not including tea sweetened with honey because honey actually helps stablize sugar!

Pallas! I hope they can figure it out! (food allergies are as bad as daleks...)

I'll post later on my fitness this week! got to run meet the madre for japanese :onthego:

themonk
Elf in Reboot
Self-reset level 0

Weight loss 0%
Weight loss 0%

Jaimee, Good luck to you. I, too, know what it is like to be in pain all the time. It can be very draining emotionally and physically.  :hypnotysed:

On bad pain days, frustrating days; Smile. Even if you don't feel like it. Smile. Like there is no more pain. SMILE! Fake it til you make it, it helps. (and it makes people wonder what your up to  :loyal: )

Keep up the positive attitude and work on your goals. They are so important!!

CB3 Warrior Status 

Battle Log

"So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide.

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." Gandalf

Warrior Level 3

STR 9 DEX 4 STA 5 CON 5 WIS 8 CHA 9

So how are things going, Jaimee? Sunday is coming up--have you thought of a good reason for being there early yet? Or started visualizing what it will be like to be early?

I understand about loss of control when in pain. Everything can just seem like too much effort. I recently found a great suggestion for that, though, or for anytime when everything seems overwhelming. The suggestion was to make a list of at least 5-7 things you can do that make you feel better, and put that up somewhere you'll see it when you need it. Mine is on the refrigerator, and includes things like: go outside for 5 minutes; look at something beautiful (art, for example, I've got some beautiful art in books that I always enjoy looking at); hot bath; aromatherapy with lavender oil; etc.

Hope things are going well this week!

Human Ranger, Level 10

AWH!!! thanks for the support guys!

I made it to church before they dismissed for sunday school so, SCORE!!! I did my zumba last week and I stuck to my food and drink goals:D week 1, success (minus the whole updating and starting to follow other people bit...)

I did not zumba today (unless you count doing part of one of the songs to the music in my head while cooking) because I needed to leave early in case roads were bad. Good news is, I'll have time tomorrow. 

If any one has recipes that are veggie heavy and good cold/warm please send them my way!!! I don't want to just eat sandwiches again this semester (BOOOORING)

oh also if anyone knows how to get the settings where replies to threads are emailed to you I'd appreciate that knowledge sharing bit too:)

thanks for reading! Night!

themonk
Elf in Reboot
Self-reset level 0

Weight loss 0%
Weight loss 0%

Good news? I found the follow button. Bad news? I was bad and had a biscuit this morning. More good news however, I did 6 zumba songs 2 days this week and have stuck (minus this morning) to my eating goals! :highly_amused:

Classes started today...it's been a while since I've done this much...my bed can't get here fast enough! Happy long weekend if it applies!

themonk
Elf in Reboot
Self-reset level 0

Weight loss 0%
Weight loss 0%

Hope your classes went well this week. It took me a while to figure out all the forum changes too! Great job on the workouts and eating (minus the biscuit - nice work keeping it to just one though:)) Enjoy your weekend too!

Level 4 Human Adventurer:  current challenge  ||| battle log stardate: 4/15-5/27/13STR - 4 | DEX - 4.5 | STA - 5.5 | CON - 6 | WIS - 7 | CHA - 6You want me to do something... tell me I can't do it. -Maya Angelou

Congratulations on getting in all the zumba last week! Brava on the eating plan, too! Don't let that one biscuit get you down. Tim Ferriss says the body needs to break eating patterns once in awhile to keep good eating working for you. Perhaps that biscuit was your friend after all. Hope you're back on track as you want to be, though.

Good luck in classes this semester!

Human Ranger, Level 10

Thanks for the support! I'm trying to get back into the swing of updating more regularly....but three weeks of not doing anything has really spoiled me... :witless:

So things I have learned:  doing 7 (yes you read that right seven, siete, Ñемь) zumba songs after eating g-free pancakes...not so smart (but dancing to toby mac's new song eye on it=fuuuuuuuuuun!)

prepping proteinaliscious breakfasts before hand=life saver! I took my mom's old quiche recipe and "Jaimee-ized" it. I also learned that really moist foods in paper cupcake holders=less food... here's my beauty!!!510160dd2b0ee_gdfreequiche.jpg

for some reason the middle sinks after it cools. I have these muffins packed in baggies so I can grab them as I'm heading out the door! :D 

okay! So I've done my zumba quota for the week I have eaten really well so far this week. I got a small soda instead of a medium one when I stopped for caffeine.... and I've been to church on time every service this week!

Now! On to reading The Merchant of Venice and writing a Christmas letter!

themonk
Elf in Reboot
Self-reset level 0

Weight loss 0%
Weight loss 0%

Muffin quiche have been a success!! Speaking of which I need to make some more tonight...
I did really well last week! I had only a little bit of dairy on a potato wedge but it was eat that or let my blood sugar drop too low, which is a big no-no. And I haven't had any ill effects from it:D  I just finished today's round of 7 zumba songs (that I really need to make another playlist of my favorites...). Today's main focus is to get my reading and spanish homework done. I need to make a B or higher in Spanish so I don't have to take the final and can take one of my other finals in that time slot so I don't have to miss any work at the job where I can't make up time because they don't think that finals are something you can miss, that apparently you have a choice in taking the final...(and now you all know how I talk...Bro says I talk in run-on pages...he may be right...)

Have a good day all! I'll troll the boards when I need a mental break later!

themonk
Elf in Reboot
Self-reset level 0

Weight loss 0%
Weight loss 0%

This week I've done my zumba and have stuck very closely to the food bans...but I did have two caffeinated drinks yesterday. But I was going 17 hours on 5 hours of sleep (stupid storms causing my phone to go off every 5 minutes trying to convince me to go hide in the bathroom instead of my comfy warm bed). It was add caffeine or fall asleep at the wheel (in case you didn't know, that is not socially acceptable;)) So I'm not counting that against myself. I also didn't go to youth group last night for the same reasons...but I did sleep from 8:30 to 7 this morning. So I'm feeling pretty good:D Have a good day y'all! 

themonk
Elf in Reboot
Self-reset level 0

Weight loss 0%
Weight loss 0%

Let me just say, I'm hating myself right now. Because of self-indulgence last year I did not make Sunday school today. I feel like a total slacker right now. I have done wonderfully so far. I thought it wasn't going to be a problem because the skirt worked last time I went to wear it, but it didn't work today... So instead of being on time and continuing a wonderful streak, it's broken! 

okay rant over...thanks for reading. 

themonk
Elf in Reboot
Self-reset level 0

Weight loss 0%
Weight loss 0%

No need to waste time beating up on yourself. Just give yourself a hug for not being perfect, and start planning how to outfox yourself next time! Really, one streak leads to a longer streak and an even longer streak. Overnight change is not required, fortunately. You're doing fine.

Human Ranger, Level 10

Thanks Pallas!!! I was getting really frustrated on Sunday and thought ranting to y'all would be better than yelling at my precious mom.

This week! Yay! week five (it is week five right?) has gone really well! I had a head ache on Monday, but I carried more weight that day than I have in a while (silly teachers who need page numbers...) I've done excellently food wise this week, though Monday I forgot to eat my sandwich for supper. I ran out of water before supper time, had no cash, and couldn't take the ibuprofen without food or drink. I stopped at Burger King (don't hit me) for my regular small Dr. Pepper and fries (a girl has to stay awake you know) took the pills...ate the fries...and forgot all about my sammy (poor sammy). oh...and I did hit church on time for morning service, but not for Sunday School and I only had high sugar/carbonated beverages on the days I was at school. (well so far, Friday isn't here yet.)

Now, on to the important stuff. I didn't include this one little time of lapse in my original post because I didn't know when I would be able to do it. Every year for like the last ten years, instead of Valentine's day, I have S.A.D. Singles appreciation day. It's a day including pizza, dr. pepper mixed with raspberry sherbet popcorn and a movie that goes "BOOOOOOOM" What's better to celebrate celibacy than explosions right? So mom and dad will be out of the house this Saturday night! Which means I will have the house to myself for my S.A.D. 

My goal between now and then: Do all homework for Monday before Saturday 3:00. Drink no carbonated drinks between now and then. Eat happy foods. (decide on movie and gather supplies) This year, since kroger has stopped carrying the one frozen pizza I can eat, I will be making my own :) any movie suggestions?

going to get busy!! Thanks:D

themonk
Elf in Reboot
Self-reset level 0

Weight loss 0%
Weight loss 0%

Hmm. I'm not so much into movies that BOOM, but Mamma Mia! is guaranteed to cheer me up and get me up and dancing and laughing out loud every time! Maybe you should invite some single friends and make it a potluck SAD party?

Glad to hear you made church on time! And you go girl on the homework goal! Always feel so free when my necessary tasks are over and done and then I can enjoy my free time without guilt.

Have fun!

Human Ranger, Level 10

Weeeeell, So far so good this week. My SAD party for 1 ended up getting interrupted frequently because Mom didn't get to everything she needed to, but my pizza was marvelous. (would post a pic, but forgot to take one). I keep meaning to update after I work out on Tuesdays, but those are so rushed I don't seem to have time. 

Food wise: Did really well. Had only 1 glass of sherbet+Dr. P but it was a big glass. When we went to Chinese for the bro's birthday Tuesday night, I only had one little piece of sesame chicken, one micro-cheese wonton thingie, and one spring roll. I'm very proud of myself. I discovered that desperation can cause great inventions. I didn't have enough sandwich meat for yesterday so I made a pizza sandwich sans cheese (note to self...it needs cheese). Very very good:D 

Drinks: I have had much more DP this week than I had planned out. I had a glass and a half on Tuesday night. Interestingly...I could feel my heart racing after the first few swigs of the second glass. I made Daddy Dearest take it away from me. I've decided next challenge to have DP's acceptable only on Mondays and Fridays seeing as those are my longest days. Oh and Monday I did have a Lime refresher from Starbucks. It was so hot at work, and I was tired and it was there...but it has lime so that's healthy right? :nevreness:

Workouts: I STILL LOVE ZUMBA!!!! I however, do not like zumba so much when my mom is home...she watches me, and makes comments about my feet (I can't stand solid if my feet are touching because my knees bow-out...) It's just unnerving having someone watch you when you know she doesn't know what the right way is... But i didn't stop! I did tune it down some because she isn't too thrilled at me jumping in the house....she might have a point.

CHURCH: I made it to all three services this week, though I almost didn't go on Sunday night due to my reading load. Thankfully, google is my friend and had the answers I couldn't remember! The nice part is Sunday morning while rubbing in moisturizer my nose starts bleeding... anyhoo...

I've been thinking alot about this next challenge and think I want to try like a 50-50 paleo type thingiemabobber. Sandwiches are still the simplest thing I can fix for school days, but I'm wanting to try the days I'm not at school to, um, have no grains or white potatoes...not too sure how the white potato thing will go because I'm used to having some hasbrown patties with my breakfasts I can cook. I do know however, that they are not good for maintaining the good ole blood sugar. So hopefully I can pull it off.

ta ta for now! Happy end of challenge every body!

themonk
Elf in Reboot
Self-reset level 0

Weight loss 0%
Weight loss 0%

OKAY!!! End of challenge "weigh in"! (these figures were from Wednesday last week, but I won't be able to get them until later this week...)

Height: 5'11" weight (at end of day roughly same time as first measurement) 213.1 (it's not supposed to go higher?!?!) BMI: 29.7 (!!!!!) BF% 38.1 (seriously?) Hydration index: 4.83 (at least one number is better;0) *le sigh*

Goals

Zumba: I did not miss one zumba time and did individual songs later on some days to help with moving between sitting still for a long time.  +5 STA points A+ (I don't know why I keep setting it at four songs when I do at least six[note to self...make new playlists])

NO gluten/Dairy: had one biscuit and one glass of tempered sherbet and a tiny bit at the chinese place: A-/B+ (I'm thinking 2.5+ CON points?)

1 sugary drink a day (not counting morning juice): did okay, there was a couple of Monday's that I had some starbucks and dp at night... B +2 CON points

Go to Sunday school every Sunday: only missed 1!!!!! Yay!  +3.8 points!! 

In review, I have noticed things I need to change...but more on that later. It's class time! think helpful thoughts/ prayers for me today! Spanish test (according to teacher that means it has to be in Spanish to count;D) 

GOOD CHALLENGE Y'ALL!!!!!

themonk
Elf in Reboot
Self-reset level 0

Weight loss 0%
Weight loss 0%

Congrats!  :applause: Don't be too worried about your weight fluxing up a little bit, that happens to me often from day to day - especially if I weigh myself the morning after a hard workout! You might want to dig out the measuring tape for your next challenge though that way even if you see a number on the scale that isn't what you hoped for you have a secondary benchmark to see progress in. Giving up dairy and gluten is hard work even if you suffer detriment from them so way to go on the progress you've made so far!! :encouragement: 

Redcat, Hero of Rivertown (once known as Teabunneh)

Shapeshifter | Scout | Lvl 2 STR +4 | DEX +2 | STA +6 | CON +7 | WIS +7 | CHA +2Vanquished Challenges: 1 Current ChallengeA Tale of TeaRunning Paleo; Accountability group: Shiny New Scouts

"Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right." - Henry Ford

Congrats!   :applause: Don't be too worried about your weight fluxing up a little bit, that happens to me often from day to day - especially if I weigh myself the morning after a hard workout! You might want to dig out the measuring tape for your next challenge though that way even if you see a number on the scale that isn't what you hoped for you have a secondary benchmark to see progress in. Giving up dairy and gluten is hard work even if you suffer detriment from them so way to go on the progress you've made so far!! :encouragement:

Thanks teabunneh! I'm not too worried about the weight, I can see subtle differences in my body. (The other day I woke up and as I'm getting out of bed I thought, "Man my caves are looking good." And no, I'm not vain, at all...not even a little bit :friendly_wink:.) Thank you so much for the encouragement!!! It means so much to me:D I've done the measurements in the past, my biggest issue (besides not knowing where it is...) is the time it takes to do all the measurements. But for self esteem, I may have to just do it anyways.

themonk
Elf in Reboot
Self-reset level 0

Weight loss 0%
Weight loss 0%

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines