A random Pixel has appeared...

PixelOrange

Backstory

Pixel was a simple Elan. He had grown taller than most, and was slightly heavier than many, but not terribly overweight. Still, he was not the warrior that his brethren had become and he did not possess the psionic abilities that his race was usually gifted. These traits, although seemingly minor, forced him into sedentary work in his tribe. It wasn't shameful, but it was not as heroic as he would have liked. But all that was about to change.

The day it all began was a sunny, uneventful day. Uneventful, that is, except for Pixel falling out of the sky into a world he had never seen before. With a loud, painful sounding thud, he smacked into the dirt ground. He would have called out in pain if not for the wind being knocked from his body. He remained there until days blurred together. Eventually hunger outgrew the pain and he began to crawl, painful as it was. He did not know the direction he was going, nor did he know what was waiting for him. Still, he had to do something.

After several hours, he found himself before a structure that had strangely clothed humans coming and going in rapid succession. Some were in machines that spewed some form of chemical into the air and some walked. Several left with packages that smelled similar to food, but not the food he was used to. This smelled like the food that was thrown to the tamed worgs. Still, his hunger was unbearable and he had to eat. He crawled to the door and attempted to stand, but his back screamed in agony. After a few moments, a human walked up to him and hesitantly spoke, "Do you need help?"

Thankfully, in this strange world, common was still common. Pixel nodded tentatively, took the human's arm, and stood. The pain in his back was still great, but he fought it and managed his way into the building. Walking to the counter, he asked the merchant for something to eat. The merchant directed him to pick something from the menu above her head. He chose the first item he saw by pointing at the picture. He had no idea what a "hamburger" was, but it did not look it had come from any animal or plant he had ever seen.

When she told him the cost for the goods, he reached into his coin purse and retrieved a few silver coins. Surely, one meal could not cost more than a silver or two. The look she gave him told him otherwise until she said, "I mean actual money."

"That is money. Look, I gave you three silver. Is silver not valued here?"

"Sir, we need dollars. On paper. Or you can pay with credit."

"What is ... credit?"

Having caused a commotion, many of the people behind him started to question what the hold up was. An older lady, one that Pixel thought must be an Elder or Wise One of this tribe, stepped forward and offered to pay for the sandwich. She said that he didn't appear to be from around here, and that he looked like he hadn't eaten in a while. Pixel thanked her, took his food, and sat to eat.

The food, while edible, was not pleasant. It was slimy and heavily salted. Not even boar's meat required this much salt to cure. The meat was placed between two fluffy, absorbant pieces that slightly resembled the bread he was accustomed to, but heavily modified to have a white and soft appearance. As the hunger subsided, he made a mental note of what he needed to accomplish in order to survive this new world.

Quest Objectives

First, obtain real food. The food sold at these markets was unpleasant at best and hazardous at worst. The humans clearly did not care as shown by their weight and lack of health, but he did. Finding food would prove to be difficult require that he learn more about this world. The only way to ensure a healthy diet was to return to the ways of his tribe and hunt. (Paleo Go! +3 CON, +1 WIS)

Second, heal his body. His back had taken the most damage during the fall between worlds. How he survived is a mystery but not important. If he was going to survive, he would need all his strength. (C25K +1 DEX, +1 STA; Les Mills Pump +1 STR, +1 DEX, +1 STA; Total: +1 STR, +2 DEX, +2 STA)

Third, reduce stress and worry. Life is different than it was a week or a year ago. Pixel needed to get over the worry he held in his heart and focus on present and the future. (Stress-Free Living +1 CHA, +1 CON, +1 WIS)

Fourth, convert his useless coin into spendable money. He wouldn't be able to survive here without a way to purchase goods from the merchants. (Lower Debt by $1,000 +1 WIS, +2 CON)

Non-Character Portion

Hello everyone! My name is Kyle. Pixel is who I would be in the Nerd Fitness Universe. I'm 6'2, slightly overweight (195 lbs, but from fat and not muscle), and extremely sedentary. I have a desk job and I play an enormous amount of video games when I'm not at work. I watch a lot of TV, and I sometimes feel like a waste of space. I'm married to Rymmare, one of the most willpower driven individuals I have evern known. It's really impressive how hard she's worked and how far she's come. Sometimes, it hurts to think about how strong she is and how much I'm not, but that's why I'm here. I want to change. I'd like to be stronger than my wife for the first time in over a year... haha.

I also want to be around for my kids. That's important to me. My grandfather is 93 and he didn't get to be that old by playing games and sitting around. Up until this year he was still driving around and being a crazy old man. I don't ever expect to be as awesome and my grandpa, but I'd like to make it to half his age and right now I'm not sure that's going to happen. So it's time to change.

The goals that I listed are important to me for pretty simple reasons.

Goal 1 is important because my family has a substantial amount of food restrictions. My two-year-old son has Celiac's Disease which put his life in jeopardy when he was 9 months old. My wife either has Celiac's Disease or an extreme case of gluten intolerance. I have IBS likely brought on by gluten intolerance, and my four-year-old daughter will get random stomach pains after coming home from my parent's house (the only place she gets wheat, ever). The only time I eat like crap is outside of the house, especially at work.

Goal 2 has to do with my back. My grandfather has had a bad back for several years. It's about the only thing that's slowed him down, and it's so painful now he has a hard time sleeping. My dad has a bad back from years of sitting around, being overweight, and working hard labor. Pretty much all the male members of my family have bad backs, really. So I'm already predisposed and at 26 years old, my back hurts daily. Right now it's hurt for 72 hours straight. Yesterday it hurt so bad I couldn't sit and my legs felt like they were on fire. So I need to get rid of this belly and strengthen my core. When I was doing Les Mills Pump on a regular basis my back never felt better. So I need to do that like there's no tomorrow.

Goal 3 is simple. Ask Rymmare and she will tell you I am the most stressed out individual on the planet. It's awful. I hate it and I want to make a change. So I'm going to. Starting now. I'm not looking to be care free, I'm just looking to handle life a little more gracefully. I'm hoping dedicated exercise will help with that, as it seemed to in the past, but I also plan on doing more to help myself by just taking a second to remind myself every day that when my son throws a tantrum it's not the end of the world.

Goal 4 is why Goal 3 is a problem. Money = Stress and we have a lot of debt. I'm not going to go into details, but it's more than most have at age 26. All but about $8,000 was necessary in some form (cars and home mostly). That 8K needs to go away. Like yesterday. So we're going to work on getting that under control. It starts with a hefty down payment from my tax return. If I can afford more, I'll give it more. Hopefully I can get rid of all of it within 2 years. Yeah, check back in two years to see how that went. :D

This is really lengthy, but if I don't put a lot of effort into it I won't follow through and this is about the only way to psych myself up. If you made it this far, thank you for reading. If you didn't, well, you're not reading anymore anyway so :tongue:!

Questions/Comments/Concerns below!

Pixel

Level 1 Adventurer

STR: 3 | DEX: 2 | STA: 1 | CON: 2 | WIS: 5 | CHA: 2

Journey to Level 2

To have knowledge and not share it makes me a fool. To share it with you only to have it fall on deaf ears makes you the fool. I can live knowing you're the fool. I cannot live life as a fool.

I wouldn't say we have more debt than others our age, we just have different kinds. A lot of people our age are just starting to pay off student loans, and while we have a small amount tied up in mine, most of our debt is from stuff people don't normally worry about until their late 20's and early 30's. Of course, I tell you this all the time  :playful: 

I'm glad you decided to join me on here *hugs* I'll start riding your ass more to get you to workout. I'll channel my inner Jillian (ha!) 

Level 10 Wandering Nord

Constitution: 15.5 Strength: 14 Wisdom: 17.5 Stamina: 12.25 Dexterity: 2 Charisma: 8
Current Challenge: Picking Up The Pieces

Testing the Waters

Some time after his visit to the slime-food merchant, Pixel woke with enough energy to attempt exercise. His back was stiff but not sore, so he stood and began to jog. After a quarter of an hour of running, he found a campfire that had the most wonderful smell coming from it. His hunger was overcoming him once again, and he tentatively edged closer to the fire. A young woman was cooking some white meat that had been cut into fist sized chunks and had an iron pot which was boiling water over the fire. Looking inside the water, he found round, bulbous, greens. He spoke softly, "I'm sorry to bother you. I have no money and I am terribly hungry. May I trouble you for some of your food?"

The woman smiled and agreed, giving him a chunk of the meat and several of the green bulbs along with some leaves. "Chicken, spinach, and brussel sprouts!" Reaching to another plate, she grabbed a handful of something and sprinkled it over the bulbs. "With a bit of bacon."

He smiled and ate the food greedily. It was all far better than the food he had encountered the day before, although the texture of the bulbs was slightly off-putting. Still, it was quite enjoyable overall. Finished, he thanked the woman for her time and set off about his business. He would keep track of the location of her camp in case he ever needed assistance again.

Non-Character Portion

Didn't have time for the full first C25K challenge because it was almost time to eat, but rather than not run at all I ran for 15 minutes and then ate. Chicken on top of spinach, brussel sprouts with bacon, and less than a tablespoon of ranch dressing just to help with the bitterness of the sprouts and because I like it and you can't stop me from eating it! I only started enjoying ranch a few years ago and I don't want to give it up! :'(

Tomorrow I plan on running the full C25K first day challenge. I think only running half was a good start, because my knee hurt when I got off the treadmill. Now I'll know for tomorrow that I need to wear the knee brace.

Pixel

Level 1 Adventurer

Journey to Level 2

To have knowledge and not share it makes me a fool. To share it with you only to have it fall on deaf ears makes you the fool. I can live knowing you're the fool. I cannot live life as a fool.

Didn't have time for the full first C25K challenge because it was almost time to eat, but rather than not run at all I ran for 15 minutes and then ate. Chicken on top of spinach, brussel sprouts with bacon, and less than a tablespoon of ranch dressing just to help with the bitterness of the sprouts and because I like it and you can't stop me from eating it! I only started enjoying ranch a few years ago and I don't want to give it up! :'(

Tomorrow I plan on running the full C25K first day challenge. I think only running half was a good start, because my knee hurt when I got off the treadmill. Now I'll know for tomorrow that I need to wear the knee brace.

YES! This is awesome.

I love the C25K challenge! What I love most about it is that any effort - ANY EFFORT will be rewarded with more stamina, calories burned and endorphins galore. It's not like math where you either get it or you don't. So 15 minutes is spot on, especially if you found you were a bit sore by the end of it.

And your meal sounds fantastic. *drool*

veritate
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]
Level 1
Orc Adventurer/Enchantress
STR 2 | DEX 3 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 3 | CHA 2
First Challenge: Orc emerges, sets foot on the path for the first time

Current Challenge: Orc Enchantress Ventures Out Once More

A non-story update here...

Les Mills Pump (LMP) is really fun, but I hate their schedule. I think their decision on when to do what is just ridiculously over complicated.

C25K, on the other hand, has a great schedule but the rest days usually trap me. I miss one day and the whole thing goes out the window.

Solution: http://nerdfitnessrebellion.com/index.php?/topic/23151-les-mills-pump-lmp-plus-couch-to-5k-c25k-hybrid/#entry380490

No rest days, super simple LMP schedule, and if I miss a day then I'm just going to skip it and move on instead of worrying about playing catch up. I was thinking about changing weeks 7 and 8, but I've decided to just follow the order they came up with and see how it goes.

Pixel

Level 1 Adventurer

Journey to Level 2

A Few Days

Pixel had found his way to a nearby river on the first day, but the journey was well outside his normal walking distance. If he wanted to stay near the woman with the food, he would have to run there and back every other day to keep his water supplies from emptying. He found that the humans on this world pumped their bodies full of some thick, sugary fluid that gave him headaches and made him jittery, then tired. Water was the only solution.

After running to the spring and back, Pixel decided to try some weight training. He found some fist-sized rocks that had good grip points for him to use and did various movements with them, testing his body to make sure that he would not hurt himself. He took it easy, using lighter rocks than he knew he could tolerate, but his concern was to not pull a muscle and miss a run to retrieve water.

Pixel had also done a fair job of obtaining food on his own, but a few times found himself hungry late in the day. He carelessly stole some snack food sealed in some sort of flimsy bagging that crinkled when torn apart. The insides were tasty, but made his stomach unhappy. He decided he needed to try much harder on being a healthy eater.

Non-Character Portion

Random updates is kind of difficult when you're trying to also give a description of what you've done.

I missed day one of my workout plan. This was partly due to me being lazy and partly due to work and no motivation and blah blah excuses no one cares. I have not missed a day since.

Paleo Go! works great all day long. Then I snack at night or come to work and my food options are limited and I get something with bread. I hate you, bread. You are the bane of my existance. Pop is gone from my diet. I haven't had it in days. I've been incredibly tired, but you know what, it's passing and I feel great. Water, water, water. Some OJ, some almond milk, mostly water!

I've reminded myself every day that I need to work on my stress. It's had a noticed difference.

With my work schedule, my weeks start on Saturdays. The 12th was my first "day" starting all of this, so I will put up weekly grades every Saturday. I was late to the party, so I'm not going to worry about days 7-11. Can't go back and do anything about them now, anyway.

Pixel

Level 1 Adventurer

Journey to Level 2

Non-story update

I caved a little today and had a few crackers. Okay, more than a few. Like half of a sleeve. It was a lot of crackers. I noticed two things.

A. They tasted terrible, but I love salt so I kept eating them.

B. They did not give me the feeling I was looking for. I still felt hungry and unsatisfied, but now my tummy was "full", which was really more of a "bloated" feeling. Yuck.

I threw all the crackers in the house away. You know, if it took me eating some crackers to realize that, I'm still going to call that a win.

Pixel

Level 1 Adventurer

Journey to Level 2

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines