Weight: 115ish lbs

STR: 13.45
DEX: 8.85
STA: 14.45
CON: 11.05
WIS: 8.75
CHA: 6.75

Goals

1) Tricks of the trade. 1 dead-hang pullup and 10-second unassisted handstand. (+3 STR) (+3 STA)

2) Mobility/flexibility. Same as last time, full front and side splits, touch feet to head. (+3 DEX)

3) Sustenance. Make appropriate paleo food choices for the day's activity, reward that sexy body for its effort! (+2 CON)

4) Draft 2 chapters of thesis. (+2 WIS) (+2 CHA)

EXTRA CREDIT: Rekindle motivation for fitness. Working out and paleo is part of my lifestyle now, and I've come to the crossroads where I want this area of my life to really go somewhere so that I have a real reason to continue beyond body composition.

Train hard. Drink tea.

Yippee, you're back! I was worried when you didn't post at the beginning of the challenge. Glad to see you. I am sure you will do awesome at this challenge

Wisdom 15.5   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 14  Constitution-11

Elastigirl:Just Living Life , Part II - Current Challenge: February 14 to March 20 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

<33 It ain't a Kdog thread without ass puns. Keep 'em coming!

Heyyy there workout recap. Not gonna do a blow-by-blow every day, but today and tomorrow get noted as a starting point.

Warmup: 20 jumping jacks, 10 BW squats, 20 jacks, 5 pushups, 20 jacks, 10 rotational squats, 20 jacks, hollow hold ~20s, superman ~20s.

Superset 1:

Dips: 10/10/10

Pistols: 10/10/10 each leg

Superset 2:

Wall handstand pushups (halfway): 5/5/5

Switch pistols: 8 R/13 L/9 R

Dead-hang chinups: 4/1/2

Pullups: 3/2/2/2/2/2/2

1-leg back lever: ~8s R/~8s L/~5s R

Negative dragon flag: 8/10/9, with stair-assisted walkover and reverse between sets

Jump-lunges: 20/20/20 @ 15s rest

Toe-dragging tuck planche: ~20s x 4

Fingertip plank: ~80s + ~30s on half-hands

Cirque side plank: ~80s R/~60s L

Superman: ~90s

Cooldown is a bit of Down-/Up-Dogging and lunges.

It still takes longer than I'd like (~90 min), so gonna take out tuck planche work for a while since there's been so little progress, and replace it with another round of planks. Tried L-sits for the first time in months last weekend and hot damn, 10+s holds were happening with almost no tuck. (Crapped out when I straightened my legs completely, though)

I dunno how my form is on the 1lBLs, but jesus hell Waldo wasn't kidding when he said that they take a lot out of you. Just a couple holds and someone's knocked me with a sleepy stick for the rest of the day.

Train hard. Drink tea.

Damn.  Nice to see that dragon flag / bridge combo moving along...

Thanks! I stole your V-ups for a change of pace yesterday, but maybe I did something wrong, 'cause it felt like they don't compare to the brutality of the flags.

Ha ha ha, I knew exactly who this was going to be. Ah, ass-puns. You continued to be badass and wonderful.

You've inspired me. I'm off to try and do handstand push ups.

D'aww, you're too kind. <3 Smash those pushups!

Train hard. Drink tea.

Thanks! I stole your V-ups for a change of pace yesterday, but maybe I did something wrong, 'cause it felt like they don't compare to the brutality of the flags.

They aren't in the same league, but I have a distinct lack of flexibility that works against me on the V-ups AND I fell quite a long way post-holidays so I have to work back up to the flags.

So guys.

If anyone remembers my summer challenges, a big goal was getting my driver's license.

Done.

WOOT!  Congrats!!!

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

This morning the basement was occupied by guests, but luckily the pullup bar is in my room! Threw together a remix of the usual workout with 12-lb DB pistols and dicked around with some core work, coupled with a day of walking through the city, it all turned out pretty sweet. Gonna keep the weighted pistols for a while methinks--upper and lower body worked at once, can't get much better than that.

Still don't have a good alternative to dragon flags, though. Hrm. I feel my core getting more and more engaged as my form improves in all areas, but unless I do those negative dragon flags, there isn't anything else that make my abs actually, lastingly sore without playing too much on my hip flexors and neck.

Train hard. Drink tea.

This morning the basement was occupied by guests, but luckily the pullup bar is in my room! Threw together a remix of the usual workout with 12-lb DB pistols and dicked around with some core work, coupled with a day of walking through the city, it all turned out pretty sweet. Gonna keep the weighted pistols for a while methinks--upper and lower body worked at once, can't get much better than that.

Still don't have a good alternative to dragon flags, though. Hrm. I feel my core getting more and more engaged as my form improves in all areas, but unless I do those negative dragon flags, there isn't anything else that make my abs actually, lastingly sore without playing too much on my hip flexors and neck.

Weighted pistols?  :applouse:

That's rad.

The problem with dragon flags, once you progress well with them, everything else by comparison feels downright pitiful.

How were you holding the DB's for the weighted pistols?

currently maintaning

battle log challenges: 16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1
follow me: myfitnesspal
don't panic!

weighted pistols-very impressive!

Thanks! Gotta hand it to Waldo and Dillverine for the idea, lawl. =P

Weighted pistols?  :applouse:

That's rad.

The problem with dragon flags, once you progress well with them, everything else by comparison feels downright pitiful.

How were you holding the DB's for the weighted pistols?

brb stealing your workouts. Love the extra balance that comes with weights, plus that "Fuck yeah, lifting HEAVY" feeling that you don't get with pure BW after a while.

Just one 12-lb DB, held horizontally, front raise DB to parallel before the down motion and keep it up for the whole rep.

Train hard. Drink tea.

As always, still dicking around with routine. It feels a little weird to be changing it so often, since Steve advises to stick to a routine for a while, but isn't the nature of bodyweight training to be constantly evolving your moves?

So, here we go. Or went.

Usual warmup

Superset:

Dips @ 12 lbs: 6/5/3+2/4+1/4+1

Pistols @ 12 lbs: 5/5/5/5/10 Pyramiding these next time.

Ice cream makers: 1

Chins: 5/3/2/1/1/1

Pulls: 3/3/2/1/2/1/1

1-leg back lever: ~10s each leg x 2

Neg dragon flag: 10/10/10, walkover/reverse between sets Mmm that does good, good stuff for the lower back, 2nd-3rd nDF sets are always miles better than the first.

Jump-lunges: 20/20/20

Fingertip plank: ~80s

Half-hands plank: ~100s

Cirque plank: ~80s R/~40s L

Superman: ~70s

Yoga cooldown

Doing 30+ mins of yoga on my rest day mornings has made a huge difference, knock on wood, and I've also been working tricks on those days, headstand-->wall elbowstand mostly.

Now off to do real person things.

Train hard. Drink tea.

Back at school! Chin and pull numbers went down with the change of equipment, but that's to be expected since I use the Smith machine here for bar work and it's a much wider, unpadded grip than my home doorway bar. Happy to work on dragons with a real bench again--maybe my sixpack will actually show up this semester, lawl.

Rest days like today mean that instead of hitting the gym first thing in the morning, I pull out the yoga mat. You know what's awesome for your back? Down-to-Up-Dogging. A lot. With good form. I don't do much mobility/prehab work and just adding a bunch of Dogs in-between sequences has made a huge difference.

Making good progress on the headstand-->elbowstand, but went back to frog stands and HOOBOY am I rusty. Side crows aren't as bad, though. Must do more advanced frogs to work on shiny new goal:

As for nutrition, back on the school meal plan and every day is an adventure of How To Carbs, dairy-rice-and-potatoes-friendly paleo-style. Still figuring it out since the LG method isn't quite conducive to daily training. Also campus life = lots more walking = lots more hungries.

Train hard. Drink tea.

Oh man, that's an awesome goal. I just read trough this challenge and I kind of admire you for what you can do.

Coming from the badass who can lift a (fake?) horse, that's really sweet of you to say that. =)

A press to handstand is on my to-do for the next 6 months.  Frog press to handstand sounds even cooler.

Ffffg I know, right? And lurking 'round your thread, it seems that you'd be hitting that move much sooner, since my handbalancing and planche-y type work is wayyy behind.

That's the downside of doing weighted pistols--even though it's only a 15lb front raise per rep, the front upper body gets tired much faster, so that when it's time for bar work and other upper body-intensive things, your lats are all, "Woo, let's do this!" but your biceps go, "You're on your own, buddy." (The upside, as you can imagine, is massive effing biceps.)

Kdawg stop passive-aggressively complaining about low chin/pull numbers and work on your thesis.

Train hard. Drink tea.

Non-NF-related addendum: being back at school is psychologically and emotionally fucking draining.

The all-female student body atmosphere contributes to a hypersensitive culture that continually revolves around food (this particular college has many food traditions, like special-occasion dinners and all-you-can-grab milk and cookies served in the evening on weekdays), body image, and self-identification. When I was a freshman, this was all shiny and new and wonderful, but now... It's only the third day of my last semester here, and I'm tired of it. Got a lot done over break that had nothing to do with school, more to do with getting out and having a LIFE after graduation, that it feels as if I already left.

Tea helps.

Train hard. Drink tea.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines