CeeCee's Adventures in Fearlessness. (Challenge take two.)

CeeCee

Last challenge had one great success.  I got my tushy out of my apartment and did things that were FUN!  No excuse of "I don't have anyone to go with." or "I really should do X instead."  Nope.  I went to a whiskey tasting.  I learned to make sausage.  And I went to an adventure park.

I LOVED the adventure park.
I didn't conquer all of it with anything even resembling grace.  
There were a few challenges that kicked my tuckus.
I came home covered in bruises.
And I LOVED ever second of it.

I loved the mix of brains and balance.  I loved figuring out how to get my somewhat short and plump self under, over, around and through what ever evil elevated puzzle made up the next section of arboreal path.  I loved the team work - even between strangers - out on the path.  Two things became very apparent - I want to do this more.  And I want better upper body strength.

In the first challenge I took the adventure's path, thinking I should be *more* of a whole host of things before I could attempt an assassin's path.  This time I'm following what makes my heart sing.   

Goal #1:  Play Regularly.

This is a "show up" goal.  I am a horrible spectator.  If I get myself out, I will participate.  The challenge is to get out on a regular basis.

How: Parkour at Urban Evolution twice a week.  Get outside for at least 15 min EVERY day.  Dance at Glen Echo 3x during challenge.  These are logged on my calendar.

Stats/Pts - +2 Dex, +1Stam (pretty self explainatory), +1 Wis (situational awareness), +1 Char (ppl are more attractive when they are having fun).

Goal #2:  Do a full Unassisted Pull-up.  

Once upon a time, I could rock the flexed arm hang part of the USMC physical fitness test.  I'd like to be able to do a proper pull up.  I'd also like to do 50 push ups in 2 minutes again.  However, I'm keeping the goal simple, challenging, and easy to measure.

How: By listening to Steve (of course.)  http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/04/25/do-a-pull-up/   Success is being able to do a full pull up.  This is Pass/Fail.   Either I can do one on Feb 18th or I can't (yet) and it rolls over to the next challenge.

Stats/Pts - +4 Str (Pulling up my own body weight? Yup. That would be strength.)  +1 Sta (Not dying on the journey? Stamina.)

Goal #3: 80/20 Paleo.

I had moderate success with this last time.  Better mood control, lost a few pounds, no chronic tummy ache, made a passable Ossobucco.  I was probably only doing 60/40 though.  Going to crank this up to the next level. I've got some good resources now, time to put them to use.

How: Cook at home and make my own "frozen dinners".  Clear out non-paleo foods by Jan 16.  Eat a good snack and drink a full glass of water before any grocery shopping. Use frozen veggies and fruit (because I was throwing too much fuzzy produce out.) Drink a full 48oz of water daily.  Diet gets logged in calendar too.

Stats/Pts - +2 Con (Eat well. Be well.)

Goal #4: ICU Bridge application ready to drop.

I want to be an ICU Burn nurse.  Feb 20 is the earliest I can apply for the ICU Bridge Program (where one learns to be an ICU nurse.)  

Goal #4 is to get that application ready to submit on Feb 20.  Resume updated.  Portfolio updated.  Recommendations lined up.  Application completed.  ACLS class completed.  ABLS (Advanced Burn Life Support) didactic portion completed.  Professional memberships updated.  

Stats/Pts - +2 Wis (Career planning.), +1 Char (Ppl are more attractive when they are happy.)

What is not on this list:  Cleaning my apartment.  This has been a big buggaboo.  It gets in the way of everything else.  So I'm giving myself a pass - I have to keep up on dishes and laundry.  But other than that, I am choosing to NOT fret about the rest of it for the duration of this challenge.  I'll pick up the clutter battle again next challenge.

Half-elf Assassin, lvl 2St: 5, Dex: 3, Sta: 2, Con: 2, Wis: 3, Char: 3

Current Challenge: TBD

Battle Log: Up-Down, Up-Down, Repeat as Necessary

Burpee Backlog: 10

Awesome goals. I do have one question though: what is this adventure park you speak of? I am intrigued.

And I wish you an early good luck with the ICU Bridge application!! I'm in the process of a career change myself, though it sounds like you could be upgrading rather than changing, and there's a lot of stuff to get in order before I'm even close to ready to think about starting the process. Maybe I should follow your lead and start early...

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Thank you.  I'm applying to the Burn/Trauma program.  Yes, this would be a career upgrade from staff nurse to ICU nurse.  But starting early = time to <gasp> have someone proof read!

The adventure park I went to is in Harper's Ferry WV.  http://www.harpersferryadventurepark.com/  They also do rafting and zip lines and what not.

Thanks for the link. I'm nowhere near West Virginia (?) but I feel like there are similar things a ways north of me. I'll have to look them up come summer time.

I'm a horribly procrastinator, so proof reading has not often been in my vocabulary. This time 'round I'm determined to do as you are and get it ready early.

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Thanks.  I figured out in 2012 that I need more fun.  And if they are fun I will actually *do* them.  And good upward spirals result.   (Yes, this is the plan - some people rely on Prozac.  I will rely on Playzac!)

Thanks.  I figured out in 2012 that I need more fun.  And if they are fun I will actually *do* them.  And good upward spirals result.   (Yes, this is the plan - some people rely on Prozac.  I will rely on Playzac!)

lol

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-13

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Good luck CeeCee!

Think those are wonderful goals.

Now get going on that application ;)

"Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection"

Epic Quest: Sif's list of awesome

Challenge: let's smash another year #low-carb #push-ups #intermittent fasting

Spoiler

Sif rises once more (~2020): 1

The Return of Sif (~2018): 1, 2, 34567, 8

The Age of Kibcy (~2012/13): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 89

My grocery trip turned out almost perfect.  Until a bag of veggie crisps ensnared me with their claims of no hydrogenated oil, all organic, no artificial flavoring. 

I did wind up with fresh broccoli and aspergas.  Pork cutlets were on sale so I'm making schnitzel later this weekend.   Oranges were also on sale.  I may have to take up juggling to put them all to a timely use.

Managed two more Burpees last night before bet (deficit is now 33).  Have to get a move on with my work out before I fall asleep.

I'm moving to nightshift this weekend, so I will have daylight to work out in.  I think getting work out in early in the day is going to be a requirement.

Appliction - Signed up for ABLS course.  Worked on research project so I have something for the CV.

Good job signing up for the course.

I also think that a mindset of "workout asap" works best. For example, I start work at 6:30 am, so for me it's just not doable to do it first thing in the morning. So instead I do it first thing upon getting home. If that makes sense :)

And you can do those burpees!!! I know you can! Whenever you think "burpees" do one! Good luck.

Spoiler

I squeeked out 12 yesterday (Though 4 were done from my knees.)   I am *sooo* sore today.  I think one at a time might be more practical.

Burpee deficit now 32.   I did math wrong.  Deficit is 42.  Well at least I have The Answer.

Today's 12 B's done.  Will try to sneak some in at work.

80/20:  orange and water and chai and pork cutlet with aspergas for 3-4 days (I only ate todays, but I have Good Food for between work shifts now.) 

Play: Not so much today

Life: Didn't do much for The Goal.  But did pay the other student loan.  

Am Now Broke. 

Off to work!

Oops, stupid math! Well try to do some extra's here and there to work your way back up to being even.

Today (Jan 13th) you need to have done 91 total. Good luck!!

(and I do them from my knees, I can't even do a push up yet, so go figure ;))

Yay for food supplies! I'm sure that comes in handy.

Spoiler

wow yeah, that's tough.

Good luck with your shifts CeeCee!!!

Just do what you can with such a long day!

Spoiler

Well.  Add another 13 to my Burpee Backlog.

But I got today's 14 out of the way before getting ready for work.

I am thinking that the days I work, just making good food choices, drinking enough water and getting a few burpees out is all I'm going to be able to fit in.

Speaking of food choices...  pork cutlet and asparagas just went "ding!"

Indeed, just do what you can. Anything is better than nothing :)

Maybe you can just keep working after April 10th to get to 5050 burpees total :D That's what I plan on doing if I can't make it.

Sounds nice! I never ate asparagas before though.

Spoiler

Hey CeeCee, what's up?! :)

(yes daily support is daily support ;))

Spoiler

Howdy. Still here.

3 long night shifts.  I stressed my back turning a pt and had a nasty headache when I got home yesterday.

Wound up sleeping through my night off (4 then 8 more hours).

But awake now.  Going to go make some phone calls to the parkour gym and get my burpees out of the way.

Then some reverse rows while I'm doing laundry.

Good to hear you at least got some sleep in! Working long shifts sounds killing to me.

Good luck with your workout!!

Spoiler

Apparently I subluxed my hip while turning that patient.  So.... need to find a chiropractor stat.

I can still do reverse pullups, but anything with my lower back hurts in a not good way right now.

Debating pausing burpees (evaluation in progress: Is this an excuse or is this my body saying "really, please don't")

Diet: discovered all my "healthy" snacks - mango with chili, dried coconut, orange cranberries, etc ALL have added sugar.  Darnit.

I did figure out a better recipe for my pork though. (The first attempt was not so tender).  Small cubies pan sauted with some spice and a splash of sherry glaze.  Smaller pieces = better portion control and more intelligent grazing.

Life: Finishing chemo class tomorrow.  Then onto wound vac class.   Research project is going OK.  Got props at work from a patient, that apparently my boss read outloud at a meeting that I wasn't at.

Next week I have several days off in a row.  I have to polish some of my tracking - "record it in the calander" isn't working as well as I'd like.  I think I need to print the work out and tape them to the wall.

Apparently I subluxed my hip while turning that patient.  So.... need to find a chiropractor stat.

I can still do reverse pullups, but anything with my lower back hurts in a not good way right now.

Debating pausing burpees (evaluation in progress: Is this an excuse or is this my body saying "really, please don't")

Diet: discovered all my "healthy" snacks - mango with chili, dried coconut, orange cranberries, etc ALL have added sugar.  Darnit.

I did figure out a better recipe for my pork though. (The first attempt was not so tender).  Small cubies pan sauted with some spice and a splash of sherry glaze.  Smaller pieces = better portion control and more intelligent grazing.

Life: Finishing chemo class tomorrow.  Then onto wound vac class.   Research project is going OK.  Got props at work from a patient, that apparently my boss read outloud at a meeting that I wasn't at.

Next week I have several days off in a row.  I have to polish some of my tracking - "record it in the calander" isn't working as well as I'd like.  I think I need to print the work out and tape them to the wall.

Oh, ouch! I would say just take it easy. It's better to rest than exercise with pain.

Are these snacks premade? What do you define as added sugar? I'm not sure I understand what those snacks are really.

Try fresh fruit and veggies as snacks. Or even meat. Though not sure what cooling options you have at work.

Congrats on the props :) and good luck with your classes, I hope they're going well!!

I would say experiment with whatever tracking system you can come up with and see what fits for you :D

Spoiler

Most of them are dried fruit from trader joe's.  I love the chili mango and dried coconut.  I usually take a few pieces  or  2 TBsp along with almonds for my overnight "lunch" (I never have time to take lunch, so I try to bring things I can eat while I chart.)  I made pork nuggets (pan glazed pork in nugget sizes) but too messy for eating by the computer.

Yesterday I got some plain mango and I'm going to try chili-ing them myself.

Hmmm, I wonder if "Get Enough Sleep" was one of my goals.  It should have been!  I've gotten enough on and off. :lol:

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines