Snack ideas

rketterman

Ok so I've got the hang of meals when it comes to paleo (meat and veggies).  Desserts (when I feel the need) have become dark chocolate (88%) and a little fruit.  What I'm looking for is some snack ideas.  I have some almonds and they're great but sometimes I just need something to snack on (for like when I'm watching a movie and such).  Any ideas?

"Do what I do.  Hold tight and pretend it's a plan." -The Doctor

Nothing is impossible.  The word itself says I'm Possible.

you hate raw veggies??  But carrots are so tasty!  And button mushrooms... and sweet peppers ... and cauliflower ... and broccoli ... and cherry tomatoes...

... celery I could live without, though.  It is fit only to be used as a vehicle for tastier things.  Who the hell invented a vegetable that tastes like water, has no caloric value, and is full of annoying stringy bits?

If you use enough dip, though, you won't taste the veggie.  And if you really can't stand them raw, that's easily solved: just lightly nuke or steam, sprinkle spices of your choice (black pepper is good) and then eat with your fingers.  Om nom nom. 

When you're watching a movie you're not really tasting what you're eating anyway (which is why people shouldn't eat in front of the TV).

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

... celery I could live without, though.  It is fit only to be used as a vehicle for tastier things.  Who the hell invented a vegetable that tastes like water, has no caloric value, and is full of annoying stringy bits?

I agree 100%  I despise celery unless it is used as a cooked vegetable in moderation.  It's good in chili for example. 

carrots and pb has become my go to snack since making the first post.  I LOVE the combination.

Could try making sweet potato chips. Cut very thin slices of sweet potato, sharp knife does wonders here. Then fry them in your paleo oil of choice until crisp, and eat. Can toss some salt or whatever other seasoning on to if you want. Salt & cayenne pepper makes a nice hot chip.

Could try making sweet potato chips. Cut very thin slices of sweet potato, sharp knife does wonders here. Then fry them in your paleo oil of choice until crisp, and eat. Can toss some salt or whatever other seasoning on to if you want. Salt & cayenne pepper makes a nice hot chip.

I would second this.  Made some last night to go along with turkey burgers.  Awesome!  Fried mine in coconut oil - the slight coconutty-ness of the oil was a nice complement.  You can also cut the sweet potatoes long-ways and use them as "bread" for burgers, sandwiches, etc.

Level 1:: Adventurer
“A man's weaknesses may intrude on his faith but they do not diminish it.â€
― Robert Ludlum, The Bourne Ultimatum
Whip up a batch of homemade mayo. Mix. 1/2c mayo 1tsp curry powder 1/2 tsp paprika Make a batch of veggie sticks. Dip and enjoy. Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Just whipped up a batch of mayo.  I'm gonna try this one later

I found that once I was eating full meals (with enough protein and fat), that I no longer felt compelled to snack all the time. And when I do, I usually enjoy fruit more than anything. 

I don't snack as much as I used to but sometimes (mainly when watching movies) I want something to munch on.  I think this is more out of habit than anything and I don't mind keeping this particular habit so long as I'm eating healthier snacks.

fruits , nuts , meat , fried eggs with garlic and onions , salads , steamed veggies , raw veggies , chicken/beef/pork in lettuce/cabbage wrap , shrimp , sip of olive oil xD , coconut , coconut water/milk , paleofied non paleo foods like pizza without bread or pancakes from mashed banana and eggs , fried chicken in coconut oil , blend up some spices with meat... whatever just stick with the perimeter of primality and be creative =)!

LEVEL ONE ASSASSIN

When I get craving crunchy I reach for some pork rinds and when I want sweet I stray from low carb a bit and my faves are select fruits, maple syrup and honey, but i prefer it in the comb. I like the slight little crunch the comb has to it. My other go to snack is jerky though I need to just make my own because I eat it so fast and at 5 bucks a bag it's too expensive.

Changeling Warrior

STR-6

DEX-0

STA-0

CON-6

WIS-3

CHA-0

Hard boiled eggs are good, so good. 

I like nuts, carrots... A good snack/dessert idea is the 'one ingredient ice cream' where you just freeze some banana, then blend it into a smooth consistency  just like ice cream. it's great. 

Dried beef/Billtong is a good snack. My wife also sometimes makes mini quiche which are good too. 

Good idea to buy a dehydrator and dehydrate some stuff... I make zucchini chips which were awesome, tried carrot chips which were awful. 

My Blog

My Book Reviews

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." - Mark Twain

I made some sweet potato chips tonight, sliced thin, tossed with some coconut oil, laid out on a cookie sheet and sprinkled with cinnamon. I still need to play with cooking times and temp, but the ones that were not burned, were AMAZING and I don't even like sweet potatoes. 

1 Rep Max Deadlift-180lbs

1 Rep Max Clean and Jerk-90lbs

1 Rep Max Push Press-70lbs

1 Rep Max Back Squat-135lbs

1 Rep Strict Press-65lbs

Fitocracy

2 weeks till Hawaii

what are nori chips?

Sorry for the delay.  I thought I'd answered this.  Preheat an oven to 275.  Take a pastry brush, a cup of water, and a pack of nori. (the seaweed sheets used to hold sushi together.)  Brush the shiny side of one nori sheet with water, place another sheet on top of the damp one.  Press down to glue them together.  Repeat until you have 5-6 sheets glued together.  Brush the shiny side of the top sheet with melted coconut oil, then sprinkle with whatever seasoning you like.  Cut into small chips then bake on a cookie sheet for 15-20.  Cool on a rack then enjoy!

PicklesHalf-Ogre Ranger6'3" 220lbsSTR-5 DEX-7 STA-8 CON-7 WIS-6 CHA-3That which does not kill you, only makes you stronger.

I like kale or zucchini chips, raw carrots, almonds, berries, apple slices and almond butter, "paleo granola" (from Paleomg).  Just a few of the things I snack on...

Zucchini Chips!! This is brilliant!  I've been looking for a heartier alternative to the kale chip (too wispy for me).  Do you make them the same way?  Anyone?

"Truth is eternal, knowledge is changeable - it is disastrous to confuse the two." -Madeleine L'Engle

I'll have to check out zucchini chips.  The idea is interesting.  As far as nori chips...nori is my least favorite part of the sushi.  At least the nori I've bought in the past.  It's tasted awful but it may have been one of the lesser quality brands. 

I don't like sweet potatoes but I had a baked sweet potato last night with dinner and I must say it was wonderful.  Apparently my tastes have changed. lol.