My name is Thundra, and my favourite thing is forgetting when challenges start.

Whoops.

Ah well. I am on the computer more now. I am really terrible at checking things.

So, last challenge was bad for me. I am going to put it out of my head. Going 100% paleo was bad, and while I got better at incorporating running and weights into every day life, I still missed a lot. I dominated at sleeping though. Man, am I good at sleeping.

Anyway! We learned some things, moving on.

CHALLENGES:

10 push ups every morning, and planking for at least 45 seconds every night.

So, I've actually been doing this since the week before new years, and it's going pretty well. The push ups wake me up, and the planking before bed means I actually do it and can't put it off. The biggest thing is that I forget, I've already missed two days this week. But it's a good habit, just taking some time.

The 10/45 rule is mostly a bare minimum. If I feel like doing more I do more, but I keep a minimum for days when I really don't want to.

+ 3 Strength

At least one session of capoeira or parkour every week.

These are two new things I have tried and have absolutely fallen in love with. I am terrible at both, and I want to improve. Parkour I probably won't go back to classes for a bit - I went to the basics and I want to improve on those in my own time before I go back. So it will mostly be capoeira! Man, I cannot articulate how much I love it. Such good vibes, and so much fun. Even so, I struggle to get motivated. So the challenge is good.

Just realised I have already failed that this week. SO I CAN'T FAIL AGAIN. Problem solved.

+ 4 Dexterity + 1 Charisma

Try something new every week.

I've been trying lots of new stuff lately, and it's really given me a shot in the arm with my progress and fitness. I made a list of things I've meant o try, and I need to finish one for each week of the challenge.

I have:

• Paintball
  • Bikram yoga
  • Rock climbing
  • Shooting
  • Trapeze lesson.
  • Geocaching

So, I actually nailed this one this week. I did bikram yoga. Holy fucking hell do I hate bikram yoga. I ended up getting really sick for some reason. Not awesome. The important thing is, we all learned something. 

+ 2 Wisdom + 2 Charisma

Practice my Icelandic for an hour each week.

I'm actually a native Icelander, but years of only English and a not heavy emphasis on learning my mother tongue means my Icelandic is awful. I'd really like for it to be better, for my own sake.

+ 3 Wisdom

All right. Let's do this.

Level 1 Orc Assassin STR: 5.5 | DEX: 5 | STA: 5 | CON: 5 | WIS: 5 | CHA: 6.5 "My strength lies in my tenacity."  

Funny - I had the completely opposite experience. During the last challenge I had sleeping as a goal (bedtime, actually), and I ended up giving myself an F because, well, my failure was so spectacular. I did well on eating primal and keeping up with my strength training, but sleep? Pfffft.

Avalonna, level 3 Half-Elf Adventurer RangerCurrent challenge & spreadsheet • First challenge • Second challenge â€¢ Third challenge • Fourth challenge • Twitter • Tumblr Nerd Fitness: "This is the place to be healthy with others who know how to field strip a light saber and read elvish while explaining the dynamics of sub-space as it relates to a warp field." - tanktimusSTR 7 ~ DEX 2 ~ STA 6 ~ CON 8 ~ WIS 4 ~ CHA 3

Glad to see you back. I was worried you had lost the fight with the kangaroo.

Wisdom 18   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 16  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Okay, so, progress near the end of week 2:

Push ups and planking have been on hold the past two days, as I have been having some trouble with my lower back. I have had issues with the muscles there since I was a teenager (A girl slammed me into a wooden floor during judo. One of my better injuries), so I'm cautious. I'm going to try and stretch it more, and then pick up on the planking this evening.

Already been to capoeira this week! I really needed it - last week was a bad one for me. I felt like a failure in a few respects, and kind of trapped. Capoeira relaxed me completely, I had great fun and the instructor is always generous with his praise. Mucking around for an hour and a half and having someone tell me what I was good girl I was made such a difference to my wellbeing.

I've just gone and paid the next four weeks in advance, so I am already a little more obligated. 

As for my "new things" challenge, I have hit a snag. I was all booked in to go a shooting range this Sunday, but a conversation with my Dad made me remember that I have actually shot before, meaning shooting is invalidated for this challenge. I'm trying to see who I know is free on Sunday, and what they are keen to do from my list. Rock climbing seems like the most valid option at this point.

Anyway, that is how I have been doing. 

Level 1 Orc Assassin STR: 5.5 | DEX: 5 | STA: 5 | CON: 5 | WIS: 5 | CHA: 6.5 "My strength lies in my tenacity."  

Progress at the end of week 3:

10 push ups every morning, and planking for at least 45 seconds every night:

I may have made a loophole for this one - with my back giving me grief I don't want to risk aggravating it too much. I've been doing wall push ups, and that...argh, what's that thing...where you stand but you really concentrate on your ab muscle, the one that is like a band...ah, whtever itis, I am doing that and it is going well.

At least one session of capoeira or parkour every week.

Done! And paid for the next four classes in advance.

Try something new every week.

Bombed on this one. Planned to go shooting, forgot I have been shooting. Unless I can find someone to go geocaching with me tonight, I have probably failed this week.

Practice my Icelandic for an hour each week.

I'm going to go and do this right now!

So, decent this week but not great.

I've been trying hard to foster good habits and get better in all areas, and that's going okay too. I finished Zombies Run last week, and have now got the 5k app. I can run 5k pretty comfortably (personal best is just over 30 minutes, want to get to 25), but this is a nice change of pace. I do the sprint intervals at top speed, and between the sprint intervals muck around on my pretend Ninja Warrior course (there is a series of three playgrounds close to my house with only a few metres between them, and I made a pretend course). It is pretty good and leaves me reasonably sore.

I weighed myself at my folks today, and discovered I've put on nearly four kilos. Even though I'm feeling fitter and stronger than I have in a while, I have probably been eating more carb heavy. Going to start tracking what I'm eating again, and cut down on carbs a bit.

Whelp. I'ma go practice Icelandic, have a nap, and then go and play basketball.

Awesome week. You made your own Ninja course-what a fun way to get your excercise in!

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

OKAY. SO.

I was all ready to skip capoeira, and be in a bad mood, and hate everything blah blah blah. General fourth week angst.

Went and spoke to my housemates. Turns out the gym they go to has memberships for $30 a fortnight.

One of the things I have really missed since I moved out is weights. Really heavy weights. I have a set of dumb bells at home, but it's hard for me to find the motivation to use them regularly.

I am pretty poor, but I think I can find the money for this. Holy cow I am excited to be able to do weights again.

GOAL PROGRESS:

Icelandic: Missed last week, as I forgot. Need to write it in my diary and schedule it.

Capoeira: I'm off in half in hour.

Push ups and planking: Not so great. Missed a few days. Forgetting again.

New things: Paintball organised for the sixth week, went trapezeing last week. Turns out I have a crippling fear of heights. Good to know.

All right. Going to finish eating this and get going.

trapezing? Sounds scary but fun,good for you for trying it

Blergh. So, I am still forgetting to do push ups. Been completely solid on the planking each night, it's like I just don't have any memory of life until 10:30 in the morning.

The new things challenge isn't happening this week - a lot of unexpected bills came up and it means I have about $10 to feed myself until my next pay. Rock climbing kind of took a back seat.

Same things, different day. I have nothing interesting to report.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines