Day 5...I am hooked

Vian

I don't know if anyone remembers me. I joined this board at the prompting of a friend, but quickly got frustrated with everyone pushing paleo/primal because I just didn't understand it. I believed what convention told me, that whole grains are healthy, and it doesn't matter where your calories come from so long as you stay under x number of them a day, you will lose weight. I still ate lots of veggies and lean meats, and I did lose weight. I lost 40 pounds last year that way.

Then I found www.wellnessmama.com while looking for a home-made lotion recipe to make as a christmas gift. I started reading the rest of the site, and was converted. She explains WHY grains are so bad, the science behind gluten and lectins and phytic acid, in a way that makes sense to me. She reccomends a diet that is free of grains and soy, low in legumes (and only the low-lectin ones), low in nuts (they have phytic acid too!), and very high in animal protein, all other veggies, and FAT, lots of saturated fat from animals and coconut.

I have been following this idea for 5 days now (counting a little lapse on day 2 where I had some rice at the indian resturant with my butter chicken) and I am converted. In 5 days, I have lost 2.8 pounds, not counting calories like I was before, but eating as much veggies, meat, and FAT as I want. I had carb flu on days 3 and 4, not sure how I will feel today, but I know my body will convert over to efficiently burning fat and protein for energy soon.

So I look forward to hanging out here and learning more about this lifestyle I have now figured out and embraced.

"When I can no more stir my soul to move, and life is but the ashes of a fire; When I can but remember that my heart once used to live and love, long and aspire - O be thou then the first, the one thou art; Be thou the calling before all answering love, and in me wake hope, fear, boundless desire." - George MacDonald

Heya good on ya Vian. I'm now on day 4, but haven't been strict Paleo. I was using low fat cottage cheese couple of times in my meals, but found I don't desire dairy. I've not drunk any milk, tea and coffee which means no more raw sugar. I did have one piece of wholemeal bread on day 2 to counter digestive problem I had. I've not had any digestive problems with day 3 and today. I've not had any headaches except for day 1, but that's because I'm still waiting for my new prescription glasses to arrive. I have stigmatism and reading computers or books I can get headaches easily which lead to migraines if I don't have the right glasses and have breaks now and then. So I have passed on the cottage cheese. I'm going to get my money back on the skim milk powder bag I bought yesterday since it's still dairy. I've had a lot of vegies and protein that I can afford with my low budget atm. Currently canned tuna (researched good brands) and a whole freerange chicken that I"m cooking tonight and will have leftovers. Have 3 eggs out of the 6 i bought yesterday that were freerange eggs. Haven't eaten eggs for awhile and glad to be back eating them.

I drink plenty of water. Will see how I go with not eating grains. I've not had any cravings for some wierd reason. I've pretty much gone cold turkey, but worried if that's a bad thing. I used to eat lentils, chickpeas a lot when I was a child and still have them very occasionally. Just not sure whether I'll have them with this new paleo diet. Maybe I could have them only as for times I want weight muscle gain once I've lost my weight as my primary goal or I could just stick with the sweet potato or Haiti sp? rice instead. I love my avacado. Have to look into what butter I should use for cooking purposes. I love my olives. Did my basic strength training last night and tonight I'm going to do my interval training. I can't wait until I can get rid of the 25kg off me and wear all my good clothes again :)

I have been following this idea for 5 days now (counting a little lapse on day 2 where I had some rice at the indian resturant with my butter chicken) and I am converted. In 5 days, I have lost 2.8 pounds, not counting calories like I was before, but eating as much veggies, meat, and FAT as I want. I had carb flu on days 3 and 4, not sure how I will feel today, but I know my body will convert over to efficiently burning fat and protein for energy soon.

Not to sound like a jerk, but that's not how it works. While you (more or less) can eat as many veggies as you feel like without worry, you can still overeat on proteins and especially fats. Right now your body is dumping water weight due to what appears to be a low carb intake; that will stop and then your weight loss will continue to be dictated by your calorie balance.

Paleo can be a fine way to eat, it simplifies things and works really well for some, but it is not magic. You can still gain weight eating Paleo. Don't let that discourage you, many people seem to feel great eating this way, but just be aware.

Also, please please please be wary of taking advice from bloggers, especially bloggers who make claims without citing sources and have a giant page of affiliate links they recommend you buy from.

Heya good on ya Vian. I'm now on day 4, but haven't been strict Paleo. I was using low fat cottage cheese couple of times in my meals, but found I don't desire dairy. I've not drunk any milk, tea and coffee which means no more raw sugar. I did have one piece of wholemeal bread on day 2 to counter digestive problem I had. I've not had any digestive problems with day 3 and today. I've not had any headaches except for day 1, but that's because I'm still waiting for my new prescription glasses to arrive. I have stigmatism and reading computers or books I can get headaches easily which lead to migraines if I don't have the right glasses and have breaks now and then. So I have passed on the cottage cheese. I'm going to get my money back on the skim milk powder bag I bought yesterday since it's still dairy. I've had a lot of vegies and protein that I can afford with my low budget atm. Currently canned tuna (researched good brands) and a whole freerange chicken that I"m cooking tonight and will have leftovers. Have 3 eggs out of the 6 i bought yesterday that were freerange eggs. Haven't eaten eggs for awhile and glad to be back eating them.

I drink plenty of water. Will see how I go with not eating grains. I've not had any cravings for some wierd reason. I've pretty much gone cold turkey, but worried if that's a bad thing. I used to eat lentils, chickpeas a lot when I was a child and still have them very occasionally. Just not sure whether I'll have them with this new paleo diet. Maybe I could have them only as for times I want weight muscle gain once I've lost my weight as my primary goal or I could just stick with the sweet potato or Haiti sp? rice instead. I love my avacado. Have to look into what butter I should use for cooking purposes. I love my olives. Did my basic strength training last night and tonight I'm going to do my interval training. I can't wait until I can get rid of the 25kg off me and wear all my good clothes again :)

Glad to hear it is going well. On the beans, the advice with Paleo is to do without for 30 days, then reintroduce them back into your diet and see how you feels.I would recommend that if you add them back in that you buy dried beans and soak them,rather than the canned kind. Also remember that beans are higher in carbs than protein, so if you are looking for a protein source, meat is better

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27