My Tiniest Habit Log

My goal is to do 2 full push-ups every day.  Right now this is more about building motivation and a habit than achieving any real weight loss/muscle building yet.  I want to build this into some kind of workout routine but not until doing this little bit isn't a struggle.  Because right now I'm just dealing with so much mental fatigue around weight loss and I know that won't change until exercise becomes as automatic as brushing my teeth.  At least that's the idea anyway.  I will reassess my status at the end of the month.

1/13/2013: done

other things to feel good about: stood while I played video games for 30 minutes, played with the toddlers in the church nursery, washed and hung up laundry

other things to work on: overate all day, all mindless eating

~Miranda (aka Farax K)

Stars hide your fires for these here are my desires
And I won't give them up to you this time around
And so I'll be found with my stake stuck in the ground
Marking the territory of this newly impassioned soul ~ Mumford and Sons

Small habits are definetely the best. I started myself just like that.

So tell us more about what is your plan of action with these push-ups?

If I might I have some tips for you: (use it or ignore it :D)

• are 2 push-ups your max? If so, then maybe you wanna try something easier like knee pushups or wall push-ups and build up to 20 reps for one set? That way you might see some changes in your strength - if you can do only 2 push ups it might take some time before u will be able to do 3 and that might be frustrated (I know for me even the smallest progress in strength/weight/size is THE BEST motivator)
  • when will you do these push-ups? I REALLY recommend you to pick one moment in every day (perfect would be if u could do it everyday at the same time - at least mon-fri if your weekend daily schedule is bit crazy) when you know you can do them and STICK to that time. Tell everyone at home that at this time everyday your will workout and ask them to respect that.
  • whatever you do try to remebmer: whatever BEATS nothing always. ALWAYS! So keep doing it :D

I am waiting to hear from u. I will follow this topic from now on :D You got yourself a stalker girl :nightmare:

Elf Druid - Level 8         looking around for happiness || tracking || #intro || #old

"Most people think they’ll feel good once they reach some goal. By linking happiness to something you don’t have yet, you denying yourself the power to create it in the moment. Your happiness is your birth right. It shouldn’t depend on you ACHIEVING something. Start by claiming it and using it to make your journey fun all the way and not just at the end." S.Chandler

"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy" G. Apollinaire

I am waiting to hear from u. I will follow this topic from now on :D You got yourself a stalker girl :nightmare:

Hehe, yay!  I don't mind that at all.  I have to run to work but I'll respond to the other questions when I get home.  Thanks for supporting me.  I truly appreciate it!!!

~Miranda (aka Farax K)

Alrighty, will wait for it :) I hope you did your push ups today? :D

Elf Druid - Level 8         looking around for happiness || tracking || #intro || #old

"Most people think they’ll feel good once they reach some goal. By linking happiness to something you don’t have yet, you denying yourself the power to create it in the moment. Your happiness is your birth right. It shouldn’t depend on you ACHIEVING something. Start by claiming it and using it to make your journey fun all the way and not just at the end." S.Chandler

"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy" G. Apollinaire

Thank you Autumn, I really appreciate the support!  I'm feeling much more motivated today so I think it'll be a good week.

~Miranda (aka Farax K)

1/14/2013: done and then some!

My husband actually wanted to work out together today so we broke out an old P90 DVD and did that for 30 minutes.  If he still wants to keep going with that I think we'll keep using those DVDs otherwise, based on such good encouragement I'm going to retool my goals a bit but keep them tiny.

Goal 1: Do one part of the Beginner Body Weight Work Out everyday (alternating body area) until I can do the required reps of full push-ups/squats/etc...

Goal 2: Do the exercise before I leave the house in the morning. 

I'll wait to set a food goal until I've been doing this a while.  Had veggie stir fry tonight so at least a healthy dinner.

Thanks you guys!  You're awesome!

~Miranda (aka Farax K)

Great job there. 

I love the idea working with your husband - it is always awesome to have some close working with you. I generally am bound to work alone but yestarday my girlfriend walked me through some aerobic/ static strenght/ stretching routine she's doing at classes and it was good workout plus lots of fun and laugh.

So keep rocking girl. Do whatever makes you feel good, don't rush things too much and you will be just fine :)

I like that you've started with a small goal, nothing overwhelming or unrealistic. I agree with you too, it's better to establish habits foremost so that every little change to your lifestyle is long-lasting. Sounds like you're doing great so far though, keep up the good work  :smile-new: 

Level 1 HALF-ELF RANGER

Challenge #1

Daily Battle Log

STR: 1 | DEX: 5 | STA: 3 | CON: 3 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 1 |

"Stronger, harder, fitter and faster"

Panczo - haha, it lasted all of one day and he is off the wagon.  We'll see when he gets the impulse to work out again.  That is great if you can work out with your girlfriend!  You should totally do it!

Minicat - thanks for the nice words!  Every time I've started before it was always too much, too short-lived, and I would really like to get there this time (eventually).  Just got to not get impatient, I guess.

1/15/2013 - done before work (squats)

other things to feel good about: added r/getmotivation to my home page, walked around the neighborhood with the dog (here's the dog)  :redface-new: 

other things to work on: ate too much pizza for dinner, ate the non-veggie food and ignored the veggie food in my lunch...  :neglected: 

Wesley the Wonder Dog

50f628c7123fb_wesley479x640.jpg

~Miranda (aka Farax K)

1/16/2013 - done before work (plank)

other things to feel good about: getting the veggie soup at lunch today instead of the yummy cheesy soup, taking the dog for a short walk, teaching a super fun Citizenship class tonight, having a good, fast day at work

other things to work on: all the cheese eating, damn the cheese!  Damn it to hell!

~Miranda (aka Farax K)

My goal is to do 2 full push-ups every day.  Right now this is more about building motivation and a habit than achieving any real weight loss/muscle building yet.  I want to build this into some kind of workout routine but not until doing this little bit isn't a struggle.  Because right now I'm just dealing with so much mental fatigue around weight loss and I know that won't change until exercise becomes as automatic as brushing my teeth.  At least that's the idea anyway.  I will reassess my status at the end of the month.

1/13/2013: done

other things to feel good about: stood while I played video games for 30 minutes, played with the toddlers in the church nursery, washed and hung up laundry

other things to work on: overate all day, all mindless eating

Oh here it is. Good and attainable goals you have here. If I may be a hypocrite (for today), excercising before the day begins is so much better than at the end. It reakky wakes you up and get you set for the day. It doesn't hurt to have the feeling of not having to excercise after a long day too, always a plus. I have the same problem with cheese haha. Spaghetti is just not spaghetti without some parmesan goodness on it. Lucky for us, its healthy in moderation. I like your idea of walking your dog around. Excercise is always easier when it doesn't feel like excercise. From the looks of it, your dog got a kick out of it. Hey, keep up the good work and good luck! You're going to do great.

Porkchop / Level 4 / Mammal-Adventurer

STR - 14  DEX - 4  STA - 7  CON - 11 WIS - 13  CHA - 7

“Wherever you are...be all there†

Challenge #4

I feel for you on the cheese. Yesterday Dad made these cheesey garlic biscuts. So addicting, I can never eat just one of those and the my paleoness goes right out the window because... biscuts! Don't get discouraged and just keep trying.

Space_Elf, Fallohide Hobbit Level 0. STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0

Battle Log | 

Science fiction is an existential metaphor, that allows us to tell stories about the human condition. Isaac Asimov once said: "Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Thank you guys!  Maybe when I set the next goal it can be a cheese related goal... 

1/17/2013 - done before work (push-ups)

other things to feel good about: I did my push-ups right when I got out of bed, which for zombie Miranda is pretty impressive

other things to work on: overate today, chose a turkey sandwich when I had a veggie option (and then the turkey sandwich kind of sucked)

~Miranda (aka Farax K)

Keep haning in there, you'll get the hang of things eventually. As long as oyu don't let the occasional slip ups get you down and try to do a little better the next time, you'll be successful. One day you'll look back and realize that you don't even have to think much about making healthy choices, it'll be automatic.

Space_Elf, Fallohide Hobbit Level 0. STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0

Battle Log | 

Science fiction is an existential metaphor, that allows us to tell stories about the human condition. Isaac Asimov once said: "Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

A turkey sandwich sucks? Blasphemy! haha jk Way to go on getting the excercise done in the morning. Just remember to warm up lightly before to avoid overextending a cold muscle. It could be as simple as taking the dog outside to pee or doing shoulder rotations for like 30 seconds. Just something to get the blood flowing, ya know. Way to move the sticks forward and keep the momentum going. Go Faraxk!

Challenge #4

Space_elf, yes! I will love when it all feels automatic. A big goal in and of itself. Thanks for the encouragement!

Porkchop, yeah I did a quick jogging in place this morning, but I do need to make sure I remember everyday. Thank you for the advice! Usually I love a turkey sandwich but this one was weird. While I'm not vegetarian, I am trying to eat less meat when I have the option. :)

1/18/2013 - done in the morning (lunges)

Other things to feel good about: warmed-up first, cleaned the whole kitchen

Other things to work on: ate so much fried food today

~Miranda (aka Farax K)

This is why I prefer Paleo to other diets, i can eat all the meat I want. I was not meant to be an herbivore. Nothing is as cheering to me as a good steak.

Battle Log | 

Agreed, Space_Elf. I would consider a turkey sandwich a better choice than one with veggies alone. Better yet, have the turkey and the veggies, and ditch the bread!

Avalonna, level 3 Half-Elf Adventurer RangerCurrent challenge & spreadsheet • First challenge • Second challenge â€¢ Third challenge • Fourth challenge • Twitter • Tumblr Nerd Fitness: "This is the place to be healthy with others who know how to field strip a light saber and read elvish while explaining the dynamics of sub-space as it relates to a warp field." - tanktimusSTR 7 ~ DEX 2 ~ STA 6 ~ CON 8 ~ WIS 4 ~ CHA 3

Well, usually a veggie sandwich will come with hummus or avocado, some kind of protein, which I think is yummy.  I'm kind of trying to eat less meat for environmental reasons, and the fact that I can't afford all natural/humanely raised meat at this point in time.  But obviously, I'm not a saint about it.  : /

1/19/2013 - done in the morning (jumping jacks)

other things to feel good about: I got nothin'....

other things to work on: this was a bad bad day, pizza, all you can drink mimosas at brunch.  I seriously need to make an effort tomorrow, cause today was a little too indulgent... : /

~Miranda (aka Farax K)

I am having pizza cravings like mad, but then I try to imagine how much grease and oil it'll have and how it'll upset my stomach later and how the cheese will make my face break out (dairy products tend to trigger acne for me). That usually cures me of most of my unhealthy eating habits, but not always. Keep trying! It's good that you got your exercise in.

Battle Log | 

Thanks Space_elf!  I'll try to add a food goal in a couple of weeks.  Was much happier about today though.

1/20/2013 - done in the morning (back)

other things to feel good about: fruit smoothie for breakfast this morning, tomato salad for lunch, folded laundry

other things to work on: overate for dinner

~Miranda (aka Farax K)

Goal 1: Do one part of the Beginner Body Weight Work Out everyday (alternating body area) until I can do the required reps of full push-ups/squats/etc...

Goal 2: Do the exercise before I leave the house in the morning. 

I really like these goals that you have. Have they been working for you? I would really like to do something in the morning and for lack of better words... get it over with, but I don't think I could sacrifice the sleep time I have at the moment. It would take a lot of planning. How has it been working out for you?

Keep up the good work!

labingo

level 1 Feol Viera
Monk at heart, training with the Adventurers

STR 3 DEX 1 STA 2 CON 3 WIS 4 CHA 2

"Whenever there is a meeting, a parting is sure to follow. However, that parting need not last forever...
Whether a parting last forever or merely a short time...
That is up to you."- Happy Mask Salesman

I feel Labingo's pain on doing excercises first thing in the morning. I'm a sucker for my sleep, especially in the winter months. Something that I found that works well for me for curbing evening appetites is eating a big breakfast. Nothing too crazy, but you have all day to work it off and it gives us more energy for the day ahead. Throw in a couple of snacks to keep the blood sugar stable and hunger panges at bay. I like apple sauce, string cheese or honey roasted peanuts (when I don't go for a candy bar of course...). Great progress, keep on it!

Challenge #4