Should I diversify weight lifting exercises throughout the week?

I just started weight lifting a little while ago with a buddy at work. He and I both prefer multiple muscle group exercises like deadlifts and squats (he's teaching me dumb-bell snatches this week too). Deadlifts and squats are both pretty intense and there is no safe way (nor is it probably ever advisable?) to do both on the same day. But even during the week, should I be doing deadlifts on M, squats on W, and something else on F? Does it matter? Any other advice on structuring a weight lifting routine? I know some people will alternate push/pull exercises, others will alternate different muscle groups.

I did some strength training during college a couple years ago, but it was mostly bench press and isolated muscle groups; whereas now I'm trying to focus on exercises that target a much larger group of muscles when I started doing a body-weight circuit over the summer.

For the time being, I'm focusing on general athleticism and weight loss (I lost a few inches on the waist, but I think I got the weight back in muscle). Maybe eventually I'll work on bulking up but until I'm comfortable enough that I have proper form while doing these exercises I don't want to do a ton* of weight.

*like I could ever lift a ton :P

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing." ~Muhammad Ali

Deadlifts and squats are both pretty intense and there is no safe way (nor is it probably ever advisable?) to do both on the same day. *like I could ever lift a ton :tongue:

i think that's a misconception.  I know for a fact in the stronglifts beginner routine you will squat and deadlift on the same day.  However, the deadlift is scaled back to 1x5 instead of the 5x5 that squat is done at (all all of the other lifts).  Squats are done every workout on this program.  I can't recall, but i think that Starting Strength also has you squat and deadlift on the same day as well, but i could be wrong.

As for weight loss, many will tell you that losing weight while weight lifting is tough unless you know what you're doing.  You can achieve a bit of a compositional change though, exchanging some fat for muscle mass.  If you are going for fat loss, then your weight lifting gains may suffer since the body needs a surplus of calories to rebuild your muscles.

But yeah, i would definately check out Stronglifts and Starting Strength for good beginner level programs.

Lvl 5 Penguin Warrior:  10 Str, 3.5 Dex, 6.5 STA, 23.5 CON, 12.25 WIS, 5.75 CHA

Intro | Current Challenge Thread | Character sheet
My Personal Blog | My Food Blog

There are no failures, only learning pains

As thirster said DLs and squats can be done on the same day. Starting Strength and Stronglifts do it for beginner programs. The Texas Method has it structured that way but it is a more intermediate program. No reason they can't be done on the same day. 

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Awesome thanks guys!

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing." ~Muhammad Ali

Beginners can go heavy on both the same day and squat heavy in every workout. More intermediate and advanced programs typically have light and heavy squat days and heavy deadlifts only on the light squat days.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf