Paleo Staples?

GraceM

So I am transitioning to Paleo.  It has been going okay, mainly just one meal a day of eggs and spinach.  Or just raw veggies.

I am wanting to make that full transition and I was wondering if anyone knew of some staple foods to buy.  Like flour, sugar, bread, milk (etc) are always in my pantry now.  I am cleaning out my pantry (which means it is basically empty) and I need to find some things to replace it.  

Also just to check, dairy and beans are not Paleo (right).  And soy milk either?

GraceM

My staples are coconut oil, LOTS of eggs, the best quality meats I can afford, pastured butter (and clarified butter), almond and/or coconut flour,  and assorted raw or plain roasted nuts. Those are the only things I always have, as my produce changes pretty often. All these things can be stored long term as well, since the meats and even the butter can be frozen, and I eat the eggs withing 1-2 weeks of purchase.

Heather's list + some sort of canned fish, some frozen veggies. This fall I have also kept on hand canned pumpkin because it is a nice easy paleo acceptable carb.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Oil/fat of your choice.

Coconut milk.

Frozen/fresh veggies of your choice.  (Frozen doesn't rot, so it's good to have a stash.)

Tomato sauce.

Canned fish (I recommend sardines or salmon rather than tuna, due to environmental and heavy metal concerns).

Eggs.

Nuts.

Meat which you can freeze and eat later.

Nut butter (not peanut, not containing sugars or vegetable oils).

Starchy vegetables (sweet potatoes or squash).

Spices of your choice (salt, black pepper, garlic, cayenne, cinnamon, and lemon juice are the ones I use most).

Don't go crazy and buy a bunch of stuff you've never cooked before, or things that you know you don't like.  For instance, if you've never eaten squash prior to now, don't plan on making it a staple of your new diet.  Odds are you won't "find time" to cook it, or you'll mess it up so it tastes bad and you go hungry, and the new diet will fail.  It's tough to go on a new diet AND learn a new cooking style at the same time.  You may not need a full-bore meal plan, but you need to at least have some idea of what you're going to eat, and some confidence that you will actually prepare and eat it.

I wouldn't suggest you go all-out paleo until you can prepare at least three or four paleo dishes that you're willing to eat frequently.  And yes, beans and soy are definite paleo no-nos.  Dairy is a bit of a gray area.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

coconut milk

sweet potatoes

salad stuff (lettuce/spinach, carrots, peppers, some sort of protein, whatever you want)

protein (I don't eat enough of it, because I have issues with cooking meat)

Fruits (I like frozen, better bang for my buck here)

nut butter (I like almond)

It isn't easy starting out, but you will quickly learn what your staples are.  Mine are sweet potatoes, carrots, and coconut milk.  Carrots are my go-to snack (or apples and almond butter when I have apples).  I have some sort of soup almost every night for dinner (slow cooker sweet potato is my current favourite), and a salad almost every day for lunch.  I get a bunch of my protein through nut butters, other plant sources, and milk/yogurt (Doing the primal thing right now, only way I can balance everything/not have to cook meat.  I love meat, but not cooking it.  I had a bad experience with food poisoning).  

Chowstalker is a great recipe resource, as you can search for a specific ingredient and see a ton of options for cooking it, and all recipes are tagged as "primal" "whole30" "paleo" etc. Say you want to try acorn squash, you can type it in and get different ideas on what to do with it. Other great sites are Nom Nom Paleo and PaleoOMG.

Some of my favorite recipes are acorn squash "porridge", coconut flour brownies, and this ribs recipe. You can easily roast most veggies in butter, ghee, or coconut oil, with any variety of spices you like. I also love to sautee spinach in bacon grease and serve with chopped bacon, and brussel spouts sauteed and then simmered in chicken or beef stock is good too.

Red wine vinegar (and others) can be paleo, just check labels for weird ingredients and sugars. Beer has gluten (unless you find gluten free) so that's not paleo, but wine and liquor is a little fuzzier, at least to me, since they are made of other types of ingredients. I prefer wine to all other alcohol, so I can rationalize it as being made of grapes and I mostly buy local and I know exactly how it is processed.

My staples are ground beef and skinless, boneless chicken breasts plus all the frozen veggie types in the freezer section of my supermarket. Breakfast is a HUGE eggbeater veggie omlette. I used to eat 10 hardboiled eggs a day but my cholesterol got into heart attack range so I switched.

We do not rise to the level of our expectations in a fight.

We fall to the level of our training.

Ground meat, pork chops, tons of eggs and always a few frozen fish fillets. I like salmon and cod personally.

For veggies, I always have some sweet potatos, bell peppers, onions, spinach and carrots on hand. Carrots are especially important for me as they're my new 'snack'. They're what fulfills the crunchy craving for me.

Oh, and a sack of some sort of fruit, doesn't so much matter what, ugli fruit, oranges, kiwis, lemons, apples are all viable choices for me. I try to only eat 1 piece of fruit per day though. I like my carbs right around the 70g/day mark thus far and fruit really spikes it up there.

My Staples:

-Ground beef/Turkey

-Wild salmon(fresh when in season, frozen when not - sometimes I'll substitute other fresh seafood)

-Eggs

-Basic variety of fresh veggies: Carrots, Onions, Peppers, Celery, Mushrooms(others are frozen and/or vary by season)

-Sweet Potatoes/Squash

-Spices.  Lots of Spices.

"Restlessness is discontent - and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man-and I will show you a failure." -Thomas Edison

DEFINITELY eggs. Definitely :P If you have them regularily for breakfast you're going to go through a lot of them! Nuts are excellent for snacking on, I try to keep a range of them in the cupboard so I don't get bored with any one kind.

Also, I do go through a lot of butter while cooking. Not quite Paleo, but it's appropriate for Primal. If you're not one for butter, definitely keep a fair amount of Olive and/or Coconut oil handy :)

Human Ranger of the Frozen Atlantic
Lvl 1

STR: 2
| DEX: 1 | STA: 2 | CON: 5 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 3

My weekly staples at the grocery store are:

2lbs ground beef

1lb ground pork

2 heads broccoli

1 bunch Asparagus

1 bag of onions

2-3 sweet potatoes

18 eggs

1 head cauliflower

1 rasher bacon

4-8 cans of tomatoes

I find I can make a variety of recipes with these basics.  Then I can stop by the market if I need something in particular.

I also just received a 7 cup Cuisinart food processor.  Has lots of blades/discs for shredding, slicing, and chopping.  I think it was about $100 on Amazon.  I have already gotten that out of it.

Lvl 8 Half-Orc Warrior
STR: 25 | DEX: 11.75 | STA: 9.75
CON: 13.5 | WIS: 10.75 | CHA: 3

Challenge | DAI-GURREN | Stop Smoking

You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding. - TMBG

Pay the Iron Price. - Balon Greyjoy

Grass fed beef, freerange organic chicken, pork ... I try to eat local and organic as much as possible. Bacon, eggs, of course

Organic salad stuff like lettuce, carrots, tomatoes

Fruit

Nuts ... I love almonds, cashews, and just discovered roasted salted pecans ... OMG so good :D

Other veggies ... I really like microwaving a sweet potato for lunch and putting on some salt and butter or bacon grease which I save and keep in the fridge. I like squash, especially butternut (tastes like a sweet potato) and spaghetti squash ... and onions/garlic, they're really good baked ... beets are good baked too.

I found these seaweed snacks are really good when you're craving chips.

Anduril, level 3 human adventurer

(ranger wannabe)
STR 8 | DEX 4 | STA 3.5 | CON 6.5 | WIS 3 | CHA 3.5

Intro thread | Daily Journal
Top weight 211, currently 184, goal weight 150 (5' 8-1/2")

Life has no remote; you have to get up and change it yourself.

Hey Grace. Check your local goodwill for a food processer. I found mine for $10.

Few of the recipes in Well Fed require one. If you like the food in Well Fed be sure to check out theclothesmakethegirl.com. It's the authors blog. Tons of awesome recipes.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

PicklesHalf-Ogre Ranger6'3" 220lbsSTR-5 DEX-7 STA-8 CON-7 WIS-6 CHA-3That which does not kill you, only makes you stronger.

I broke down and bought a new food processor, I really wanted to make my own nut butters.

I am doing a pretty good job of switching.  I am about 75% right now.  I don't know if I am ever going to be able to make a 100% chance change.

Tonight, paleo Salisbury steak and mashed cauliflower.

GraceM

Pastured eggs!!!!!!!  Cannot recommend enough, totally worth the 6.99 a dozen I pay. It revolutionized everything egg-related for me, heh. 

Grassfed beef jerky, sugar free bacon, and a CROCK POT!! 

WWBD?

"Seize the moment, cause tomorrow you might be dead!" - Buffy Summers 

level 1 Orc Warrior at heart, training with the Adventurers
STR 2 | DEX 1 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4