Hello from SoCal

Hi there, found nerd fitness from a link in an article from nomeatathlete.com and liked it so I think i will stay awhile... /me pulls up chair

I am on week 15 of my first marathon training program, planning to run the LA Marathon in March. I have been running off and on for the last 2 years and have been at it solid for about 6 months now. When I am not running I am hiking.

I am a software dude and in the middle of a divorce, and a very complicated relationship/social situation. I am looking for like-minded kind people to hang out with and expand my friend circle into something new...

After the marathon, I am planning a relay race in April and a half marathon in May. Then maybe Chicago marathon if i can get registered in September, then who knows... maybe try my hand (or legs rather) at a 50k next year...

Welcome! Good luck to you on your upcoming marathon! That's awesome!

may I say thank you (or curse you) for posting that link to nomeatathlete. It makes for very interesting reading, but too many good articles! I've been trying to figure out if vegetarian-paleo is even possible (more out of curiosity than anything else. Most paleo types I know are unrepentant hardcore carnivores), and I see he already answered that question!

Are you a vegan/vegetarian yourself? Do you run in regular shoes, or are you joining the vibram wave?

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins

lol, I do own some vibrums and have been mostly just hiking in them because I like the way the sand and little rocks feel under my feet. I plan to do some runs and build up to a real distance in them just to see how i like it but that has to wait until mr marathon is finished.

I am not a vegetarian but I don't need meat everyday to make me happy. I looked into this paleo crazyness but I can't give up my bread and pizza. But i did take a leaf and am trying to cut out fried potatoes. I already try to eat happy meat... But I like beans and bread so I can't be a cave man. :)

I am almost finished with Born to Run, it is a fun book... hence the inspiration for the 50k. I am not sure about the barefootness, I have just battled and won a fight with ITBS caused from pronation correction shoes I bought on the advice of a "running expert" after he watched me run around the store. Perhaps if i had no shoes at all there would not have been a problem? ...never getting those 6 weeks of training back.

Heyo deoryp, welcome to the boards. I'm a software engineer myself... unfortunately there're very few of us who actually do much athletic stuff :) I don't do a whole lot of distance running, mostly under 5k and sprinting workouts when I'm training for ultimate season, but my wife has done several marathons and I know how ridiculous the training for that is. Good luck in your efforts, feel free to start a post in the workout logs and track your mileage versus your training book, always helps to have some accountability!

I like the IDEA of barefoot running, but running in vibrams is about as much contact my poor feet want with sharp rocks. I'm a wimp, I admit it, but I like being able to sprint down alleys with impunity. Definitely I love the idea of vibrams over normal shoes. Proper stride aside, it's just more FUN!

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins