• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Pyth

Bacon, Yea or Nae?

So I was under the impression that bacon was 100 paleo. It's an animal after all. Can even get it from free range pigs. Well today when I bought my bacon, I checked the ingredients on the package, and sugar was listed. Every other type of bacon at the supermarket also had sugar listed.

Sooo, sugar, obviously not paleo. Is there something I am missing here? Is bacon actually not something most paleo people eat?

Wow, I've actually never noticed that before.  If you checked all the other packages, I'm sure they all weren't maple flavored.  That's all I can think of for added sugar.

In all my reading on paleo, bacon has been on the OK list.  There's so many bacons out there now - did you check uncured bacon?

There is only one kind of bacon available at my grocery store that not cured with sugar. As bacon is so expensive and I had an opportunity to buy bacon in bulk at a rather good price I took it and decided to look the other way when it came to the sugar..

Yeah they def weren't all maple flavored, and to be honest, I haven't totally given up maple syrup. I can make an argument for that still being paleo. I can head into the woods with nothing but a hammer, a punch and a tap, collect sap, boil it and have maple syrup. It's pretty damn natural, if not 100% paleo and the only sugary treat I allow myself, and even then only rarely.

But yeah, I checked every type they had, nothing without sugar. I am ordering a meat box from a local grass fed farm this month, when I pick it up I guess I'll have to inquire about getting some sugar free bacon.

What you need to find is uncured bacon, which has no sugar.

Also, yes, maple is paleo. Actually, sugar is technically paleo. It comes from sugar cane. The difference you have to make is just because something is paleo, doesn't mean it's beneficial. White potatoes are paleo but if I eat tons of it, I gain weight. ;)