• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

MrsJasonBourne

Gum & Paleo

Really it's up to whether you want to consum (though marginal) sugar or false sweeteners.

Personally, I don't do it. In fact, it's really simply not paleo, but this is something some people bend on.

Your call. Just don't let the sweetness drive you to binge. ;)

I do it, there are some gums you can buy at health food stores that still contain actual sugar and not sweeteners. It's a little guilty pleasure, certainly not as bad as cookies or cake :) As well, I find that chewing gum LIMITS my cravings for junk food.

I chew trident, which has less aspartame than other gums and also uses xyletol to sweeten. I chew it after meals simply because the bit of sweetness and mintyness PREVENTS me from craving something sweet. I figure if it keeps me from eating junk food, it's a small price to pay.

I don't do it b/c a) sweeteners of any kind (I try to avoid most sugar unless it's really intentional), B) all that salivating, I believe, gets your brain going and expecting food. 

I brush my teeth at work instead.  I know.... but it's what I do.

I don't do it b/c a) sweeteners of any kind (I try to avoid most sugar unless it's really intentional), B) all that salivating, I believe, gets your brain going and expecting food. 

Such a simple answer. Didn't even think of this.

That is true, it does get your brain jonesing for food.  It's true, just brushing afterwards would help as well.

Thanks for the advice - I think I will only use gum in "emergency" situations when brushing is not an option.

I chew gum once in a while. When I'm at work sometimes I get nauseous (hospitals have gross stuff and I can't prevent it) but peppermint seems to help. I had been having peppermint mints, which worked much better, but since those were definitely not paleo and I was ingesting sugar I went towards gum, which has few calories, if any. Brushing my teeth or mouthwash would work just as well or even better but there isn't always time, and gum is a quick fix.

yeah.  I'm a gum fiend.  I'm that kid who bust pens in her mouth in class, who bites her nails to the wick, etc.  I've chewed holes in my cheeks before.  ignoring the sexual connotations, I have a hardcore oral fixation.  as such, gum is almost a requirement for my existence.

I'm picky about the gum I chew, though.  as aforementioned, Trident is a good one.

and now I want to try making spruce gum....