Garjan's Mental Preparation

Rebel Pilot Gar

Thanks guys! I love dark chocolate (especially the stuff in the high 70-80%'s). I buy it very rarely as a treat for myself so I'm good at rationing it.

My problem with other chocolate is how readily accessible it is. Also my family goes overboard for buying chocolate as holiday gifts so I have 50 milk lindt chocolate truffles lurking in my freezer. I'm slowly reigning in my self control (and the lindt truffles will be tossed at my friends whether they want them or not because I do not want to eat anymore of them)

Thanks for letting me know about the mini-challenge Chanda! I'll add what walking and meditating I can for this week. Maybe some sun salutations after I look up how to do them. :)

2021 Reading Challenge | Walk to Mordor

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

"I Find That Answer Vague And Unconvincing." - K-2SO, Rogue One

Challenge Update:

Full Night's Sleep: A

I get at least 8 hours a night. Although I seem to feel the most rested after 9 hours...

Eat Better: B

Went a bit over a week without eating any of the chocolate in my room. Although I had some desserts outside of my room. Weekends seem to be my weak points - mainly because after fencing for 6-7 hours I feel like I deserve a cookie (or 5). Also, as of Sunday, I no longer drink hot chocolate.

Stretching: B

Good at stretching after workouts and practice. Now I need to get the stretching after competitions in. I used the icepack on my hamstring as an excuse not to warm down the other muscles at least a bit.

Meditation: A

I think I'm really getting the hang of this. I like the counting or focusing on breaths part. Meditation is really helping me keep my head as homework is piling up. When I feel myself starting to stress, I just force myself to relax and breathe for a few min until the panic goes away. I'm assuming that counts as somewhat-meditating. I'm still doing the sit down for 15 min thing too. I would like to start building a habit of meditating every day. With the new mini-challenge it's a good thing to work on this week :)

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

Awesome report! You are doing great.

You could possibly do some sun salutations after your workouts!  :)

Lusitanian Druid, Level 9
STR: 13 | DEX: 15 | STA: 17 | CON: 22 | WIS: 25 | CHA: 25

“We are what we repeatedly do; excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.†- Aristotle

Current Challenge: Living the Good Life II Past: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th,  8th9th, 10th11th, 12th

Goal: 1001 Steps on the Road to a Home -> 18/348 in 2015 

5.27%
5.27%

Goal: loose 9KG in 2015 -> 1.5KG lost 

16.67%
16.67%

Challenge Update:

So I've been participating in this week's mini challenge, which has been really helpful in motivating me to meditate every day (10 min per day on average). I also really focused on sleep because I was fighting off a cold.

Full Night's Sleep: A

Woke up naturally before my alarm today which is pretty cool. I like sleep.

I almost don't know how to grade myself for this week. Yeah I didn't eat anything on my do not eat list but I feel like everything I ate was just... strange food combos. Maybe the cold had something to do with it - all I really had an appetite for was oranges, crackers, and peanut butter with toast. And a strange craving for coffee. I was averaging 2 c coffee per day when 2 cups a week is normal. Made sure to get some veggies each day but other than the occasional hard boiled egg, my protein intake was low.

Stretching: B

Only had practice 2 days this week and did not really work out on my own.... I stretched on those days, and a bit on the others because I was sore from Sunday's tournament. Not much stretching later in the week though. Also added a few sun salutations for the mini challenge. :)

Meditation: A+

I meditated for at least 10 min each day this week (since Monday)! Definitely starting to get the hang of it. I think I prefer sitting quietly to meditating while knitting. I like watching tv or chatting with friends too much when I knit.

My goal for the last stretch of this challenge is to pay attention to eating a balanced diet, since it's been the weak point of my last few updates. I also need to figure out if I'll add anything else to my do not consume list for this week. I think the last few choices were solid but I don't really want to force the list (and my self control) too much yet. Just something I'll have to think about.

Sounds like you had a good week... specially considering you had a cold. 

If you get a chance, join us for the 3rd mini-challenge:

http://nerdfitnessrebellion.com/index.php?/topic/24145-mini-challenge-3-conquering-the-village/

Its been awesome to see you progress, specially on the meditation.

Hope this final week is great for you! :)

Lusitanian Druid, Level 9
STR: 13 | DEX: 15 | STA: 17 | CON: 22 | WIS: 25 | CHA: 25

“We are what we repeatedly do; excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.†- Aristotle

Current Challenge: Living the Good Life II Past: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th,  8th9th, 10th11th, 12th

Goal: 1001 Steps on the Road to a Home -> 18/348 in 2015 

5.27%
5.27%

Goal: loose 9KG in 2015 -> 1.5KG lost 

16.67%
16.67%

Challenge update:

Full Night's Sleep: C

I procrastinated on homework over the weekend. Blizzard led to fun times in snow and delay in leaving for our fencing trip. I spent my free saturday by sleeping in, going to the gym, and watching anime. Even though Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday nights led to only 6 hours of sleep each I don't regret relaxing for a day. I plan to make up for it the rest of the weekend since I managed to pull slightly ahead of my homework.

I've been generally managing to pull off balanced meals, but dining hall food has the tendency to make me ill and I'm running out of Tums. I'm examining my food diary and looking for a pattern. Will use the data collected this challenge to formulate a plan for next time. (Will probably be along the lines of "Keep it Simple" and aiming at eating less processed junk)

Stretching: A

Doing awesome so far this week. I've been getting some good advice while stretching with one of my senior teammates after practice. Doing it with someone else definitely motivates me to not skimp on the stretches :)

Meditation: A

Been doing maybe 10-15 min every other day (or more if homework is stressing me out or I get to class 10 min too early)

Here are the results of my first challenge as a druid. I'm reducing some numbers a bit to even out my stats (for example reducing 3 to 2.75 to even out my DEX). Yay OCD :tongue:.

Starting Stats: STR 8.75 // DEX 4.25 // STA 9.25 // CON 14 // WIS 15.75 // CHA 7.75

Goal 1: Full Night's Sleep

Requirements: 8 or more hours of sleep per night

Maximum Possible Points = +3 CON

Results: Achieved it the majority of the time, just slipped up a bit this past week because I procrastinated a bit on homework and needed to work late/wake early to get it all done. B

Achieved Points: +2 CON

Goal 2: Eat Better

Requirements: Record everything I eat, add to and adhere to my "Things I do not eat" list

Possible Points = +1 CON, +1 CHA

Results: Without fail I recorded everything I ate for each meal in my excel spreadsheet. I also added banned food items to my list weekly. There were a few slip ups where I had to reset the date for a few items but otherwise did well. Not that there weren't unbanned unhealthy items (cough chocolate cough) that I ate too much of but that's something to work on next challenge. B

Achieved Points: +0 CON, +0.25 CHA

Goal 3: Build a Stretching Habit

Requirements: Stretch before & after practice, work on tight spots daily

Possible Points = +5 DEX

Results: Okay so I did not work on my tight spots daily (not even close), but I have pushed myself to take the time to stretch after practice and meets. C+/B-

Achieved Points: +3.75 DEX

Goal 4: Begin Meditating

Requirements: Learn ways to do it, Meditate for 5 (later increased to 10-15) min, 3x per week

Possible Points: +5 WIS

Results: So after the first week where I struggled a bit with different methods, I actually began looking forward to meditating. I will definitely going to continue to include meditation in my schedule. It has even helped with my focus in fencing - in recent weeks I've been getting comments from teammates about how impressive my focus/calmness is. Especially after bouts where I pull out a win after being behind 3-0 (we fence to 5 points). A

Achieved Points: +4.25 WIS

Final Stats (STR and STA reduced to whole #'s):

STR 8 // DEX 8 // STA 9 // CON 16 // WIS 20 // CHA 8

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines