Deodorant troubles

LessJos

I am having troubles finding a good deodorant. We are in a very dry climate here, especially in winter and some deodorants are really tough on my skin. I tried a few different ones which are those white sticks like Dove and Nivea. After two weeks max. they are just so dried out it really rubs on my skin. I tried Secret gel ones and those roller ones but it is such sticky goop. It leaves a wet yucky feel for quite some time.

My BF has a gel stick that is quite firm but not dry. Has somebody seen something like that for women? I can't seem to find something that does dry out but is not too liquid.

As for fragrance, I am quite easy going as long as it is not too flowery, powdery or too masculine.

Any ideas?

• Like 1

pre-Assassin

Clear eyes, full heart, can't lose!

Twitter

I absolutely love my crystal rock deodorant. If you can find something like it, try it! It doesn't work for everybody, but I love it. It should be the rock, it didn't work for me when it was in a spray. It's natural (=only deodorant, not anti-perspirant), doesn't feel like you have anything under your arms and never leaves marks on clothes. And it is very kind on the skin, too. Unless I've cut myself badly, I can put it on on newly shaved skin. I've never felt like it was drying out my skin, but I'm sure it would work just put some moisturizer over it if needed. There is a small transition period if you are coming from brands like Dove and Nivea, and it takes a while to get used to do a lot of strokes to cover the entire area (more than you usually would), but then it works as well or better as anything I've tried. I can actually wear some tops for three days in a row now. That was unheard of before! Yay for less laundry! It's odor-less, but that just means that my lovely perfume gets all the attention. :)

• Like 1

Current challenge | Fitocracy | UnTamedTresses

Elf Ranger Level 10STR - 14.75 | DEX - 16.00 | STA - 26.75 | CON - 26.75 | WIS - 27.25 | CHA - 22.00

I haven't tried the crystal one. Not sure where to buy that.

Though I went to another drugstore yesterday and found deodorant called Tom's from Maine. Never seen that one before but it seems to be all natural and without aluminum etc. It is expensive but is more a solid gel stick like my BFs. We'll see if it stays soft or dries up like the other ones. If it doesn't work out, I'll try that crystal. Thanks for the recommendation.

pre-Assassin

Twitter

I use a homemade mix of coconut oil and baking soda, or just straight coconut oil if my skin is super dry that day. Doesn't prevent sweating (which is a natural thing for your body to do) but it does prevent pretty much any smell. Been doing this about a month now and no problems with it.

I've tried the natural, anti-perspirant free stuff and it's one compromise I'm just not willing to make. No sweaty pits for me! I'll take the poison, thanks.

I use a Secret brand, it's called "invisible solid" and it's still a white stick, but much softer than the usual. It goes on sort of like a thick lotion and dries quickly. The eucalyptus scent is really nice--subtle but noticeably fresh, and it toes that "unisex" line while staying just a bit feminine. I also like the lavender.

I've tried the natural, anti-perspirant free stuff and it's one compromise I'm just not willing to make. No sweaty pits for me! I'll take the poison, thanks.

I use a Secret brand, it's called "invisible solid" and it's still a white stick, but much softer than the usual. It goes on sort of like a thick lotion and dries quickly. The eucalyptus scent is really nice--subtle but noticeably fresh, and it toes that "unisex" line while staying just a bit feminine. I also like the lavender.

I am not sold on the natural either. That Tom's I bought doesn't really take care of "smell" i.e. the apricot scent is gone quickly and I definitely smell sweat in the evening (before the workout). Ugh. I tried again today, putting on more Tom's. We'll see but I am not convinced.

I will look for the Secret "invisible solid". Sounds like the inbetween solid/goop kind of thing I am looking for.  Thanks!

pre-Assassin

Twitter

The crystal is not an antiperspirant - so if you're super sweaty it's probably not for you.  Having said that, it is the best deodorant I've ever used.  I may be sweaty after my workout, but I'm not stinky.  It also doesn't have any dyes or scents, so if you have very sensitive skin that is a real plus.  I buy one from VitaminWorld - it comes in an orchid colored roll-on type tube. 

I think that deodorants are body-chemistry dependant, so you just have to try them.  I know that none of the others I ever tried before the crystal seemed to do much for me...except stain my clothes. 

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

Caution with deodorants (and cosmetics in general) with aluminium, parabens and all sort of dangerous chemichals, they are linked to breast cancer. Just recently I became more aware about healthy choices regarding toiletries. I stopped using commercial brands and started using Rock Crystal, I was happy with it until I discover Soapwalla. It is a cream deodorant, made with natural ingredients and it offers a 100% protection. It will not let you down... I can confirm It's been tested!! I highly recommend it. It might be a bit expensive, but worth it all the way. Protection and peace of mind because you are not poisoning yourself! Oh, and it's made in Brooklyn :) check it out:

http://www.soapwallakitchen.com/product/deodorant-cream

Robotic - Warrior

Level 1. STR: 3 - STA: 2 - DEX: 3 - CON: 4 - WIS: 3 First Challenge

I'll have to find that to try it.  Actually, the possible breast cancer link was the reason I originally tried the crystal deodorant.  My sister's breast cancer had come out of remission and she was going crazy worrying about me (while I was going crazy worrying about her).  At any rate, I tried it and liked it. 

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

I have a really big problem with deoderants as well. I have heard that all of the chemicals in them are also found in the breast tissue of breast cancer patients, which is scary since both of my grandmothers have had breast cancer. My problem is that I break out in a rash with every single deoderant other than the Ban roll on. I have tried the crystal. It seems to work, and not make me break out. I need to try it for more than a day. I am just afraid I am going to be stinky. But from all of the positive feedback, I think I will give it a try for a week and see how it goes.

Dimpley

Level 1 Human Adventurer

STR: 3 DEX: 0  STA:1  CON: 4 WIS: 4  CHA:4

Ok, so reporting back. The Secret invisible solid is tough on my skin like all the other white sticks. (Btw how do they come up with the "invisible" crap? They all stain clothing!!)

Anyways, I am now concerned about the ingredients :-) Never really thought about it but reading the posts here... :-((((

I will experiment a bit more. I saw that Walmart has a stick without aluminum for a decent price but it's always sold out. Last one I will try before the crystal.

Did anybody try lotions? I am not sure if they sell them here (Canada/North America) but in Europe there are lotions (Nivea?) that are once a week applications and they actually work. Not sure about the ingredients though. I should look that up.

pre-Assassin

Twitter

I get my deoderant from an etsy shop called Sweet Creek Herbal Care. It's all-natural, works well, and is nice and gentle on my super-sensitive dry skin. The one I like (Lavender Rose) is almost certainly too flowery for you, but they've also got unscented and a more woody scent.

only what you take with you

Challenges: Starstuff Wars Episode I, II, III, IV, V, VI  

NF character ~ Fitbit ~ Strava ~ Smashrun ~ MyFitnessPal

Food Log

Aw, I'm bummed to hear the Secret stuff didn't work for you. I'm a fan.

And you're right, it's not invisible by any stretch, but I find it more pleasant than the other sticks. Don't set your hopes too high though, even the gel and the clear sticks leave white streaks on clothes. I don't think any of them are truly invisible.

Sounds like you might need to try different styles of deodorant.  It sounds like you are sensitive to the method of application rather than the deodorant itself.  I also wouldn't be too worried about trying a mens product as the smell of true deodorants don't tend to like like those of cologne and similar.

A couple that you should try.

Aerosol - These normally spray on a fine powder.

My favourite and go to for years now is the pump packs.  Not aerosol can but a try pump pack.  It is liquid but will dry a few minutes after application.  You aren't rubbing anything on your skin so it should be better and it's not the gooey stuff that is in roll-ons.  They have a similar consistency of water. 

"I lift heavy things. Sometimes these things are people."

I had a coworker who did a thing with rubbing alcohol. He walked around with those cotton cosmetic pads soaked in rubbing alcohol in a Baggie. Every time he felt a bit fragrant, he would wipe down his armpits with the pads. H said after a month, he didn't sweat as much and could just do it 2x a day.

• Like 1

Spider

Hedgewitch Druid, Level 3

STR 8 | DEX 7 | STA 5.5 | CON 4 | WIS 8 | CHA 6

Just Ended Challenge: Spider Goes Back to School

“Even if you are on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.†― Will Rogers

Ok, I thought I check back in with an update. I actually use Soft & Dri (http://softanddri.ca/our-products.html the one in the middle, fragrance is "sweet bliss") now. It is aluminum free and the gel is moist and works pretty good. No more painful application! Also NO stains! Very nice. Not sure if it is as long lasting as a "regular" stick in terms of odor control but I can live with it. I also don't know if it is healthier apart from being aluminum free. However, I like the gel and the fragrance and especially the price. It's actually cheaper than most of the other brands. Though always sold out!

I still have and use the Tom's of Maine which doesn't seems to last that long but has mostly natural ingredients. I don't think I will buy it again though since $6 is really expensive especially compared to Soft & Dri which is $2.40!!!

pre-Assassin

Twitter

Sounds like you might need to try different styles of deodorant.  It sounds like you are sensitive to the method of application rather than the deodorant itself.  I also wouldn't be too worried about trying a mens product as the smell of true deodorants don't tend to like like those of cologne and similar.

A couple that you should try.

Aerosol - These normally spray on a fine powder.

My favourite and go to for years now is the pump packs.  Not aerosol can but a try pump pack.  It is liquid but will dry a few minutes after application.  You aren't rubbing anything on your skin so it should be better and it's not the gooey stuff that is in roll-ons.  They have a similar consistency of water. 

Shiggles, sorry just saw your post now. I am not a big fan of spray since I don't find them very portable. When I moved from Europe (mostly sprays) to Canada I was so happy about the sticks! Super portable (no spilling), light and easy to apply. Never had problems with the application but this winter seems to be sure dry and/or I am more sensitive.

pre-Assassin

Twitter

I've used this for years and i love it. http://www.amazon.com/Deodorant-Spray-Lavender-White-Ounces/dp/B0028FNP5C/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1361775621&sr=8-5&keywords=crystal+essence+deodorant

It is a natural mineral salt spray-on deoderant. I find that the scent is mild and doesn't last very long (I stop smelling it within an hour) but it does a fantastic job of keeping me from stinking >.> and it just sprays on from a liquid. I put it on after I dry off from the shower, let it dry for a minute and I'm good to go.

"When I can no more stir my soul to move, and life is but the ashes of a fire; When I can but remember that my heart once used to live and love, long and aspire - O be thou then the first, the one thou art; Be thou the calling before all answering love, and in me wake hope, fear, boundless desire." - George MacDonald

I agree with silverpeacock-try Lush for deodorant. I used to use regular antiperspirant/deodorant and started my foray into natural/low chemical 3 years ago after a pathophysiology class. Tom's of Maine is brutal-I never did finish the one stick of that I bought.

Lush makes 2 deodorants-I use the Aromaco, which smells a bit of patchouli and begamot, which I love. If you don't, they make another with a different fragrance. It looks like a chunk of bar soap, and you just run it across your underarms a few times, then rub it in. I do still sweat (and I AM a sweaty girl), but I sweat less and it doesn't smell bad anymore.

I DO find this tends to dry out after a bit, so here's what I do: get a tupperware container (anything that's airtight with a lid). After you use, if you notice the deodorant is getting dry/hard to apply, run it very quickly under the tap. Shake off all excess water and immediately place in your airtight container. By next morning, the surface water will have absorbed and the deodorant will go on smoothly again. This doesn't seem to make it melt faster either-I paid about $8 for a block of the stuff in mid-November and I'm just coming close to finishing it off now. And that's with 2 showers daily on the five days a week I work out. If there's no Lush near you, they do mail-order too.

riotgrly

LEVEL 2

Half-Elf STR 5 || DEX 2 || STA 4 || CON 4 || WIS 4 || CHR 2.5