Bad back, what can I do instead of deadlifts?

Hi everyone, I'm brand-spanking new (intro here) and it's great to have found NF! 

I want to follow in the steps of Staci as far as lose bad weight, gain good weight/bulk up. From what I've read, it seems like one of the core exercises she did to pull this off was deadlifts and squats. I'm all for pushing myself to the limit with lower-body workouts (hated these thunder thighs in high school, now I love them!!), but I hesitate to test that much weight on my lower back because of a crazy reconstructive spine surgery I had at 18. [see x-rays here] Now five of my lower vertebrae are fused together, I bend my back as one piece (imagine C3PO doing sit-ups), and I shudder at the thought of doing anything that could damage my spine. I can still do 90% of the movements I did before surgery, so that's not really an issue. And yes, I have a WICKED awesome scar!

What is the best way to bulk up while abstaining from movements like deadlifts that I fear would compromise my back? Would I be okay if I spend the time to strengthen my back before attempting deadlifts? 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks and have an awesome day.

Vixoen

Texan Vixen Ranger 

STR 3.5 ~ DEX 2 ~ STA 1.5 ~ CON 2 ~ WIS 2 ~ CHA 4

First challenge

geekgasm>> Twitter blog fuck Facebook

If you don't ask the right questions every answer seems wrong ~ Ani Difranco "Hell Yeah"

-- i'm on my phone and will make sure to come back w more detail, sorry for crappy typing, i cant see the text box :)

which levels are fused? mobility and which muscles are used are different for lumbar fusions vs lumbar to sacrum. 

why did you have the fusion? im assuming curvature, not injury or underlying neuromuscular problem but want to make sure

from everything ive read on sites like starting strength from lifters who have had fusions, you should be totally fine to squat/deadlift depending on your mobility. squats and deadlifts done right are a.great way to build back strength, but for new lifters can also cause injury if done wrong no matter how bendy your spine is.  starting out you would be much the same as the rest of us who were weak in the back-- low weight, lots of reps.to make sure form is ridiculously good. in a perfect world youd have a lifting coach as well as an ok from your ortho doc.

i am not a doctor. and obviously for all of us, none of us should push our bodies to the point of injury. i do however work in surgery and am part of 10+ level fusions weekly, and most of our idiopathic kids are back to normal fitness once rehabbed, including competitive sports. ill be back w more info and some links ive found once im at a computer

jehan--that's what I've been doing so far. Glad to know that I can still get to the level I want even if it may take longer. 

katscratch--thank you so much for replying! I'm delighted to hear from someone who has been in the bone-filled trenches of orthopedic surgery. The surgery was for scoliosis. Even after having worn a corrective brace throughout my adolescence, my curvature reached 50 degrees. I managed to upload an image of the x-rays I got at a ten-year follow-up, you can see it here. The surgeon told me all the technical details of this bone to that bone but I was heavily drugged and remember little. 

I've watched videos on deadlifts and I can replicate the movements without hindrance from my back. What I'm concerned about is that much weight being spread down through my spine and any long-term damage that could cause. What I remember from my surgeon (again, my memory is foggy) concerning activity was "If it hurts, don't do it. If it doesn't bother you, you should be fine." I have yet to experience pain, only discomfort once in a blue moon (usually from sitting too long in a car/on an airplane). 

Thank you very much for your response. I'm looking forward to reading the links you mentioned.

Texan Vixen Ranger 

STR 3.5 ~ DEX 2 ~ STA 1.5 ~ CON 2 ~ WIS 2 ~ CHA 4

First challenge

geekgasm>> Twitter blog fuck Facebook

If you don't ask the right questions every answer seems wrong ~ Ani Difranco "Hell Yeah"

I've trained people with scoliosis and lumbar fusions and I agree with the assessment that if you have the requisite mobility and are pain free there's nothing wrong with squatting and dead lifting. Doing these things correctly implies a static spine anyway so when performed safely and with careful progressions there's really no added risk from the fusion itself. The scoliosis is obviously another concern but I've not seen anything that contradicts the above advice for that either nor have I had anyone with scoliosis have any issues whatsoever doing the strength lifts. 

One of my Weightlifters has mild scoliosis and she doesn't have any back issues at all even snatching and clean & jerking. She also broke her coccyx outside of the gym and that wasn't a problem. Driving to the gym probably did her more harm than lifting with that injury.

Eat. Sleep. High bar squat. | Strength is a skill, refine it.
Follow my Weightlifting team's antics: Instagram | Facebook | Youtube
Looking for a strength program? Check out The Danger Method and remember to do your damn abs

I'm definitely in the start slow camp. See what you can do, focus on form, and be very aware of your back. Move up in small increments and listen to your body every step of the way.

I have an arthritic L4-L5, and I can honestly say that lifting has done more for reducing my daily pain than anything else I've ever used since it stabilizes and supports the spine. That being said, I injured myself and was out for a year after re-racking a squat wrong. You will have to be on top of your form more than any other person in the gym. You don't get the luxury of going into autopilot or not paying attention for a rep. If you miss it, you face the risk of hurting yourself. Don't want to be scary, but it is a reality that must be faced.

LVL 3 Animagus Ranger
STR: 8.8 | DEX: 5.6 | STA: 6.25 | CON:8.55 | WIS: 6 | CH: 6

"Today is not tomorrow." -Unknown
Third Challenge: Victorious Valentine
Current Maxes(Female 160lb bwt): OHP 110x2, Squat 265x1, DL 275x1 , BP 140x1

I had a 65 degree curvature, and I am fused somewhere mid thoracic to lumbar.  I have to take it easy, but I deadlift a couple times a week.  I think the key is having a coach or spotter who can keep a keen eye on your back to ensure that you are keeping a solid back.  Just start light and progress at your own pace.

Lvl 8 Half-Orc Warrior
STR: 25 | DEX: 11.75 | STA: 9.75
CON: 13.5 | WIS: 10.75 | CHA: 3

Challenge | DAI-GURREN | Stop Smoking

You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding. - TMBG

Pay the Iron Price. - Balon Greyjoy

Oh, nice, yeah definitely with one rod instead of two you'll have more range of motion. Odyssey and wesb, awesome to read your experiences.

I meant to jump back in here yesterday but actually ended up in a spine fusion late into the evening, ha!  

--jdanger, right on-- that's one thing i DON'T have, is knowledge as a coach (or really knowledge as a lifter, i'm still so new), so this is really really good to read.  1000x what he said.

I double-checked with my surgeon yesterday-- the points that are more likely to be injured are at the top and bottom of the fusion, but not high risk with scoliosis (as opposed to disc disease, injury etc).  The fused area itself in most people is much stronger than before the fusion, because the joint mobility is decreased.  Also the hardware is not the end-all-be-all of support in your spine-- it's basically scaffolding-- the BONE fusing is what causes the support.  So once someone is healed, they should be good to go with the same watch-your-form piece as anyone else.  Also any exercise that builds long term strength of all the spine stabilizer muscles will lead to long term stability of the spine itself.  So, deadlift away :)

I have mild scoliosis and hyperlordosis, but the only thing I really notice so far lifting-wise is that my left shoulder likes to be higher than my right and I have to make sure to hold the bar straight on squats, but most of the time I plain forget I'm a little crooked :D  Lifting itself has helped my posture a ton.  I haven't gotten around to it myself, but if you ever want eyes on your form, jdanger and the other big guns check the Form Check vids regularly.  

Have fun!

I've trained people with scoliosis and lumbar fusions and I agree with the assessment that if you have the requisite mobility and are pain free there's nothing wrong with squatting and dead lifting. Doing these things correctly implies a static spine anyway so when performed safely and with careful progressions there's really no added risk from the fusion itself.

Consult a sports doctor (not general practitioner, someone who knows about these things is needed) but this is what I was going to say. Proper form has you bracing the back to be a hydrostatic column so it shouldn't move anyway.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

You shouldn't take anything I'm about to say as medical diagnosis.  Definitely consult a doctor/PT and ask about what you should be doing.

I've always had bad back problems.  Scoliosis(not that bad and over time it semi corrected itself) and just really weak lower back.  I've found the best thing to protect my back is to build my own internal "weight belt".  What I mean by this is to really strengthen your core muscles.  I did NOT accomplish this by doing body weight crunches/sit ups.  You need to think outside the box and use ever increasing weight to really build a strong core(lats, abdominals and obliques).  The core muscles really help brace your lower back against any sheering force that can be applied during squats and deadlifts.  A really good anterior core workout for me is to do goblet squats and really focus on keeping an upright back.  Not only does this work out your quads but it also forces you to keep your core super tight just to stay upright.  As a byproduct you will most likely learn a thing or two about creating some intra abdominal pressure by expanding your stomach with air.  

Remember this works for me.  Not sure if it will work for you but it should get you thinking about what you can do at least.