The comeback tour: Battle Log

Another 5km walk/run completed today...I got completely drenched in the rain and the dog got a good soaking too. He had his new jacket on though which worked really well at keeping him dry for the bits it covered and he loves splashing around in the puddles in the grass anyway so he was happy.

Endor, LVL 45 Half-Elf Ranger 

PR and Motivation Log | Current Battle Log 

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

5km walk yesterday with a dirty hangover from Friday and only a few hours sleep as the pup was up early and whining to be let out. I really didn't want to walk this afternoon and almost didn't but once I got out there in the sun and the fresh air I felt a whole lot better and the dog enjoyed his walk too so glad I went in the end.

We're taking him to a dog kennels today to join in with exercise time for the dogs that are staying there. It lasts an hour and includes an agility course which is quite fun and he loves meeting new dogs. His buddy the big Maremma is coming along too this time should be fun.

I may get a swim in today if there's time.

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

Rested Thurs and Friday as I was feeling exhausted and sick. This morning the dog was going mental, he would not stop barking and being naughty so I had to take him for a walk.

I guess he was frustrated that I had not taken him while I was sick, he only got 20 mins in the morning with my wife. When I walk him on my own I let him run when he wants to and run with him, usually this is about 1km at the start of the walk where he lets out most of his frantic energy and then calms down a bit getting gradually more tired as we go on. Today his energy levels were so high that I ended up having to run the whole 5km with him, my calves were burning at the end of it, I have to be really careful not to tear my calf again it would be a serious disaster.

Along the way the old guy that I've seen catch a Blackfish was there again and was reeling in another fish. This time I stopped and had a chat with him, he gave me some advice on fishing for Gars and showed me the weed he was using for Blackfish. Nice old dude and clearly knows his stuff when it comes to fishing.

Anyway good to have got out in the fresh air and exercised, I felt better for it at the end of the walk (run!).

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

Dogs and old guys are psychic, what can I say?

Did you good to get you outside and prepping for next challenge.

I hope you are feeling better, you are entering your indoor sick months, I guess, as we are finally leaving ours.

I love hearing about your fishing adventures, since I do love the outdoors.  I am interested in anything alive, except, it seems, fish ;-)

Fishing itself is pretty tedious to me and many of our waters are " No comer el pescado" because of pollution. 

Fish are so important in every food chain, and also so interesting evolution-wise, that you always remind me that I should shape up and get out my fish book and read up on the rascals.

I used to think fishing was tedious as well, but once you try it and get into the technical aspects it becomes interesting. The older (bigger) ones have been caught a few times and put back so they are wiley. It's especially rewarding to fish for a while and catch nothing then make a decision about a change of tackle that leads to an immediate catch. Once you start to get a feel for a species and the conditions it becomes a lot more interesting, you have to analyze what's going on and line things up, then you *might* catch a fish :) I'm specialized in Garfish and Flathead, very different fish with different conditions and techniques required to catch them....but it means I can fish different times of day and weather and they're both very tasty. I am lucky to live in a beautiful marine environment where the water is very clean so we get sweet fish that cook very well.

Today I swam 52 lengths, I haven't been swimming for a while and it was tough. I'm definitely noticing that I have less body fat, not as buoyant and got a bit cold near the end. Mind you I did have a horrible hangover  :neglected: 

I'm glad the challenge starts tomorrow I've gone off the rails with drinking the last 4 days. I was at the Mariners game tonight and had a few which I wouldn't normally do. Won the game though so through to final next Sunday :D

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

I think I set up the team in the Accountabilibuddies and in the challenge thread; not too tech savvy about these social media things

good for you!  I went to the gym for my half hour training session, and my trainer was deliriously pleased that after the half hour arms workout I could easily do 12 pushups!  I was pretty happy, too.

Well done on the push ups, that's great progress, they're definitely going to help get that pull up goal over the line. You're definitely strengthening up :bull_head:

Did a 5km walk with the dog yesterday, he's been cooped up for 2 days while I've been working away. When I got home my wife had taken him 5km already but he was still revved up so I took him for another 5km, he trotted along nicely for the first 4 then picked upa big stick and ran the last km! I couldn't believe it, he's only 8 months old and justa  small dog but he's got so much energy it's unreal. It's good though, motivating me to get my aerobic fitness in order to keep up with him.

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

the Lucky Dog! two walkers; what kind of dog do you have, he really is very lucky.  I guess he has some retriever in him.  My dog is a field dog, but he is much more brilliant at finding than at bringing back.  Once he gets something, he guards it!  He is very, very clever in the water, though.  The dog breed is Boykin Spaniel, and they are bred for water retrieving.  When you through a stick into a current, he tacks across perfectly to intercept it.  Once when my husband and I were walking the perimeter of a large marshy area, he took a look at us like we were nuts, jumped in the water and swam directly across to beat us easily to the point on the far shore where we were headed!

It is refreshing to read your posts since you have blown away the weight and now can surge on to more interesting "body projects".  I can't wait to get there myself.

Looks like a nice breed from google pics, is he brown? My friend has a spaniel, love the big ears :) Dogs love shortcuts, especially if they are through stinky marsh :D Mine and the Spaniel play well together, both love to tug toys and get onto them together and play tug o'war :indecisiveness:

He's a pure bred black miniature poodle (middle size), his dad is a champion show dog so he has unreal genes and it shows, I'll PM you a pic. Poodles were also bred as gun dog water retrievers but we have deliberately avoided getting him used to the water as we have some poisonous fish (toadfish) that kill a dog if they eat one at the end of our garden. He'll eat literally anything he finds so try to keep him away from any dangers, he found one in the garden one day (I suspect neighbors daughter's horrible kids) fortunately we were watching him and got it off him before he could eat it.....scary though. Sometimes he'll go in the water at the beach with his other buddy but only standing, doesn't swim.

Yeah, it's good to get the weight done, although I have a bit more to go. The new level of RFG I am doing seems to be rapidly increasing my strength, I did 22 pullups in 4 sets today :monkey: It's a great feeling to get to 4 and think ok the muscles are gonna give out now and find you have built on last time and can complete an extra one or two. The muscles just take over when your mind thinks you're done. :D

RFG completed today and a 20 min walk for the dawg.

Measurements done today:

BP: 126/83

V02: 42.2

Upper Arm: 32cm

Waist: 87cm

Chest: 101cm

Thigh: 52.5cm

Hip: 104cm

Calf: 41cm

Neck: 38cm

Shoulders: 115cm

#Drum roll#.........

Body Fat = 16.8%  :triumphant:

Everything is better than the last measurements back in Jan 2010. Back then I was at the end of 3 months dieting, off the booze and healthy eating plus lots of cardio and squash and my BF was 22.8. Very happy with my latest BF measurement. :positive:

Stick to your goals like glue this challenge, I really want to see you crush them and I know you can do it. :positive:

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

An RFG level 4 completed this morning, it was tougher than usual today for no particular reason. I have worked late last 2 evenings so maybe that's why. The weights I'm using are heavier than before as well, which is making it way harder.

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

yea low body fat; someday I'll get that measurement.  You have a weight set at home, I imagine.  I have all these dumb bells around; heaviest at the moment is 25# and I can only do rows with those, so I guess I haven't outgrown them yet. 

I think I will buy the RFG so I know what everyone else is doing.  I fear opening a Pandora's box of temptations to begin tinkering again.

Yes I actually have 2 dumbell sets, I started with one but I outgrew the weights so I bought another set and combine them. It's better actually because now I can setup the other pair with lighter weights and don't have to mess about changing up weights halfway through.

I think the RFG could fit into your goals, the 60 mins goal gives you some flexibility. I'm a completist so I tend to finish what I start whatever the cost, this is why it sometimes takes me a long while to commit to something but once I do it will get done. If you start it you should at least complete the Level 1 fully, It'll drive me mad if you give up on it halfway through :tongue:

I didn't do any exercise yesterday, will have to walk to/from the station today and to the football ground and back, that'll make up the 5k I should be doing at a minimum.

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

a completist- I like that!  I'll get back more fuller in a few days;  out of town this weekend and haven't had time to read all the posts yet.

No worries, have fun :)

Completed my RFG this morning, lots of upper body and arms workout in this one...my arms are getting bigger :positive:

Mariners won the championship yesterday, what a great game and a fantastic atmosphere.

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

Hey Dominic, I was just reading through your Battle Log and wanted to say awesome job. 

Where do you normally go walking/jogging? I was thinking of doing the path from Gosford Waterfront to Woy Woy sometime soon. Might ride my push bike instead of walk though. 

I also read that you're a Mariner's fan? Glad they finally won a Grand Final. Fourth time lucky. Haha. 

Hey Zesty,

Thanks for the feedback, it's a been a big year so far with some great success :)

I do the foreshore quite a lot or one of the beaches that allow dogs so I can take my sidekick :dog:  That's a great track from Gosford down to Woy Woy, I've done part of it, great views along the water. It's a long way to walk though I agree you're probably better off on a bike.

Yes the mighty Mariners finally got the championship :) It was a great game, atmosphere was electric.

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

Heaps of beaches for dogs, Avoca, Terrigal, Ettalong, Umina, Pearl, Putty etc. etc.

Yes I was at the game, great atmosphere.

5km walk yesterday despite getting home late from work, bit different walking in the dark but the moon was pretty bright and the stars were out. I went on my own as the dog has been sick last 2 days, thankfully he finally ate something last night and was much more perky this morning.

RFG L4 completed this morning. Had a poorly pooch so only a 4k walk, he looked really tired so I let him off the last km.

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

Annoyingly I think I'm going to have to count calories again to check on my diet and make sure I get the results I want.  I've only counted 2 weeks from 17 weeks so far, I don't enjoy it but I think it's time to check in and make sure we are headed in the right direction.

I've also lost a lot weight so I need to re-check my BMR and recalc my calorie intake.

BMR Calculator

BMR = 1786

Using Steve's numbers: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/02/26/level-up-your-life-4-determining-your-calorie-level/

Moderately active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55

1786 * 1.55 = 2768

Now I want to lose approx 1kg a week, that's 2.2 pounds.

1 Pound of Body Fat is made up of 3500 calories so that's 3500 * 2.2 = 7700

Break this up over the week, 7700/7 = 1100

So I need a deficit of 1100 calories a day, 2768 - 1100 = 1668 calories a day.

Final target number: 1668 calories a day. Importantly never more than 2768.

Eating primarily Paleo this is achievable but not if I have too many carbs, sugar or alcohol.

Feb-March 2022 Challenge