• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Tinaling

What were YOUR 1-month Results?

Hello Everyone!

Today marks my 3-week anniversary of going Paleo/Primal (More Primal). With the exception of a few cheat snacks here and there, I think I'm doing pretty good! Any changes I'm seeing (or think I'm seeing) in myself are minimal, but it HAS only been three weeks. I'm noticing I'm more mentally aware and my skin has cleared up significantly. So far no real physical changes or sleep help, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for those :)

I'm interested in hearing how your first month went after going Paleo! How did you feel? Did you see any physical differences? Mental differences? Did you give up on it, was the diet worth it for you? Did you start to include non-Paleo foods after Month 1?

I'd love to hear your stories! Cheers!

I felt much better after 1 month.  Heartburn, gone.  Morning headaches, gone.  Energy levels up.  No longer dragging ass at 3 in the afternoon.  I was pretty heavily overweight (more than 100 lbs), so I did notice about 20 lbs off at the 1 month mark, with my jeans and shoes fitting better.

Oddly one of the things that happened when I switched to a (mostly) paleo diet, was that my sleeping patterns changed.  In particular, I tend to sleep less, with ~7 hours a night being adequate, sometimes as little as 6.  I used to be the guy who had to drag himself out of bed in the morning, now I'm up and going nearly instantly, often a few minutes before I've set my alarm.

I also do sometimes sleep in a slightly different cycle, where I'll sleep for 4-5 hours, wake up briefly, then go back to sleep the rest of the night - this was part of the sleep pattern change as well.

One month in?  No changes whatsoever.

For many, many months I was confused why paleo didn't seem to be doing very much for me.  Everyone else was describing such miraculous results.  It turns out that for some folks, simply cleaning up the quality of their foods is enough, but for others it may not be.  I had to work on quantity, timing and other factors.

Does that mean that paleo didn't work for me?  Not at all.  Just means it wasn't magic.  15 months later, I can't imagine going back to not-paleo. :)

I'm somewhat the opposite of miraculous results. Sure I immediately dropped 10 pounds of holiday weight but the rest is plateau with little variance. Then there is losing my appetite. Without insulin spikes, I dont feel hunger and dont bother eating. and I go from the midnight waking to sleeping like a log and lingering in bed in the morning.

There are some things in primal that I still avoid...I dislike most fruit and raw veggies. I rarely eat nuts. Too much bacon or sausage gives me a stomachache and I have a low capacity stomach. Weird grain substitutes are mostly off my list,no coconut flour pancakes for me.

Hubby has discovered pemmican and is doing great. I need to have a cheat meal before my system goes into hibernation.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk HD

I'm on day 20 of strict paleo, I went from 229.9lbs at the start of it all to currently 215.8. My energy levels have sky rocketed, my mood overall is amazing. I find I have more self confidence, just an overall feeling of awesome I guess. I'm soon going to stop counting my days of strict paleo I think, cause I doubt I'll ever stop eating this way. This is my new 'normal'.

Pre-paleo I was always achy. I couldn't do high intensity things like jumping without pain. Now any joint pain is rare (and usually when I've upped the sugar) My blood pressure was borderline high and is now normal. I used to have blood sugar swings and I dont any more (that may have taken longer than a month)

As far as being nono paleo I added things in one at a time to see how my body reacted. Figured out I was alergic to wheat so that is a no-go. I do things like rice or potatoe on occasion and the rare treat of good french fries or potato chips or gluten free pasta or cake

I am about a week shy of a month. I have lost about 10 lbs (235ish to 225ish) and have noticed changes in my sleep. I am not getting as tired in the afternoon as others have noted, my energy level is not perfect but it is certainly more gradual and even throughout the day. I have managed a few days with no caffeine, I think that Caffeine was a big counter action to insulin variance? Not sure but that just seems logical to me. I still lose concentration and focus sometimes in the afternoon but it seems that when i have sufficient sleep I just need a walking break to reset myself a bit. It hasn't been an absolute maricle but it has definitely brought about the most stable and predictable change in my health in my life ever to date. I think if I can up my strength training to include heavier weights I will start seeing monster progress. Once Spring comes around and all the fresh veggies spring up around here and I can get outside more...oh boy its on!

It turns out that for some folks, simply cleaning up the quality of their foods is enough, but for others it may not be.  I had to work on quantity, timing and other factors.

Does that mean that paleo didn't work for me?  Not at all.  Just means it wasn't magic.

Can't emphasize this enough.  It took a lot of tinkering before I really "dialed in" Paleo to something that worked for me.  I got off to an okay start, but it took a little while before I really had it "working", which eventually involved tweaking my carb intake upwards a bit on workout days, as well as tweaking what I eat for better digestion.

For some people it's like a light switch, particularly if they cut out a food that they were unaware they had issues with and everything "magically" improves.  For many others, it's a process of learning about how your body responds, and what you REALLY need to be at your most effective.

For me, it was mostly a better sleep. I used to have sleep paralysis, insomnia, nightmares almost every single nights. Switching to primal, all this disappeared. On the other hand, my weight is still the same and I don't have the high energy level a lot of people are talking about. But now I do more stuff for sure.

I'm currently detoxing from a vacation (I went away, and couldn't always get primal foods).  I came home about 2 lbs heavier than when I had left, most of that is now gone, but the wheat nightmares continue.  I'll be happy when they are gone.

I'm also now unsure when I am really hungry.  I'm really not enjoying that.  I'll be happy when I have everything put back together, and have myself back.

For me, I dropped around 10 pounds, but I could physically see a difference in my waistline, which is rare for me - I've always had body image issues and a hard time seeing change in myself. I had some stomach issues that weren't that before (or so I thought) but I notice them A LOT now when stray too far from paleo. I have a diagnosed sleep disorder that is in no way weight related, so I don't expect miracle results in that department, but I have found that I have more energy than I did before. I have had some issues with my back, more than normal, but my chiropractor and massage therapist both seem to think that may be a combination of my composition changing pretty quickly and its taken my body some time to catch up, and the detox from the (far too many) processed foods I was eating before. Mostly, I've really just learned how my body reacts to different foods, and learned how to deal with that.

Lost 13 lbs overall (though some of that was from before my official 30 started), and lost quite a few inches from my chest, waist, and hips. Definitely sleeping better, and not experiencing an energy crash in the middle of my day. I'm quite pleased. My energy levels are not high, but normal all day - which is better than my normal, crash, back to normal after copious amounts of caffeine. :)

Thanks guys! It's interesting to hear how little things have made such an impact on your daily lives :) I had a non-Primal day on Saturday (first since New Years) and won't be doing that again any time soon. Initially I didn't have any issues, but the next day it was like having a hangover. Guess it's time to sit back and see what the next few months have in store.

I'm glad to hear not EVERYone got spectacular results right away, because two and a half weeks in, I haven't noticed any major changes.  (Granted, I haven't been completely strict, and I was pretty healthy to begin with.)

Still waiting on that 30-day mark, though.

I'm almost 3 weeks in. I have noticed that my skin is clearer, and a couple patches of psoriasis that I've battled for a year on the tops of my feet are finally healing. I have more stable energy, and more energy in general. I lost about 6 pounds of water weight the first week, but no additional weight loss (but I've also been focusing a bit more on strength training, so I may be going through a muscle-building phase right now and not seeing much weight loss). I'm less hungry. I end up eating 1500-1600 calories a day (my target is 1650 to lose about a pound a week) and I'm satisfied and don't feel the need to snack between meals most of the time. While eating grains at near that calorie target, I was starving by meal times and HAD to have a snack between lunch and dinner, and was usually hungry again before bed. It was really hard to stick to that many calories a day, but with primal it feels natural and easy. I'm hoping that soon I will start losing weight again, as I still have about 40 pounds I want to lose.

I'm glad to hear not EVERYone got spectacular results right away, because two and a half weeks in, I haven't noticed any major changes.  (Granted, I haven't been completely strict, and I was pretty healthy to begin with.)

Still waiting on that 30-day mark, though.

This is how I feel.  I'm doing Primal about 90% of the time, with a few modifications (drinking alcohol and eating legumes in moderation, for instance).  In addition, I've been eating out a lot because of some poor planning this month, so I've probably been eating richer, more sodium-heavy foods than I should, even if they're low-carb.  Stiil, I thought I would notice a big difference, if only because eating Primal has really made me *think* about what I'm putting into my body instead of mindlessly binge eating.  I used to demolish a whole bag of tortilla chips before, and now I'm eating consciously. 

Well, I haven't seen much of an improvement.  I've lost about 3lbs in 3 weeks and my clothes still fit the same (haven't done measurements for comparison yet).  I'm thinking I'll go more strict for the next 6-week challenge - cut out the legumes completely (goodbye dear beans! :sorrow: ), really keep the drinking in check, and limit eating out - to see if that helps.  I did the Primal diet about 2 years ago and lost a lot of weight within the first month, so I'm kind of disappointed at the less-than-stellar results.  Still, I definitely feel like I'm eating healthier, so I'm willing to keep with it.

Some of the changes I have seen:  Less hunger - not sure if this is a good or bad thing, some times I end up skipping lunch if I eat a large breakfast because I'm just not hungry!  TMI Warning: I was having some stomach/bathroom issues in the morning after my daily cup o' joe that have gone away completely. 

I am about 3 1/2 weeks into my Very Strict Paleo diet, I went from 215lbs to 197.2 lbs. So far so good. I start my morning with Fruits, eat a Chicken salad (No dressing) for lunch, and have Either chicken or fish with a pile of veggies for dinner. I only drink water and unsweetened green tea. I do have red meat once or twice a month. I am very happy and am so much closer to my goal wait of 165. This has all been done with no working out. Most people say abs made in the kitchen not in the gym.... they are very right on that statement. Love my new life style.

What I cut out is as follows:

1. I take little to no carbs at all
  2. No dairy
  3. No sugar
  4. No starches
  5. very very little salt. 

41 minutes ago, Darkheart137 said:

I am about 3 1/2 weeks into my Very Strict Paleo diet, I went from 215lbs to 197.2 lbs. So far so good. I start my morning with Fruits, eat a Chicken salad (No dressing) for lunch, and have Either chicken or fish with a pile of veggies for dinner. I only drink water and unsweetened green tea. I do have red meat once or twice a month. I am very happy and am so much closer to my goal wait of 165. This has all been done with no working out. Most people say abs made in the kitchen not in the gym.... they are very right on that statement. Love my new life style.

What I cut out is as follows:

1. I take little to no carbs at all
  2. No dairy
  3. No sugar
  4. No starches
  5. very very little salt. 

Congrats on the weight loss. You didn't ask, so feel very free to ignore this advice. You seem to be very low on fats. One mistake people sometime do is go super low fat and low carbs. If it is working for you that's great, but if you start to struggle, think about adding in some fat.