Hey guys ! 

post-12973-0-86617000-1358969302_thumb.j

I am very new to this, for years I have been trying to loose weight with fad diets and multiple dieting attempts. This time I want it to be different. The problem I think I have is motivation, I can motivate myself sure enough but when it comes to others I find it hard to say no to peoples generous offers such as *hey I'm going to get a coffee, fancy one?' or even 'I'm having a bag of crisps you might as well have one just this once'.

These need to stop! All I want to do with my life is travel, see every where, meet hundreds of people and try everything.

This is the reason I want to get fit once and for all, I'm 18 and I have to ask myself when given the chance to Zorb, ' hey can I really fit in the ball?' or when going to do suspended trampolining, 'am I allowed to do that at my weight ?'. My weight usually doesn't stop me, for example I love to paintball but the clothes they provided only just fit with their largest size and so the buttons pop open. I never again want to question these things. 

I want to get fit to simply never have to worry about my weight or health and I can simply jump into any opportunity I get. 

post-12973-0-37837000-1358969254_thumb.p

That's why I am here fellow rebels, I want your help. If anyone wants to have my support too let me know and we can create a fellowship of our own! If Frodo (well personally I think Sam was the hero... but we can talk about that some other time) can make it to Mordor, then we can become our greatest selves !

Sam's my hero!  This is a good place to be to get support.  If you're not sure where to start...

1.  Small changes/realistic goals.  If you click on COMMUNITY HOME, you'll find information on joining a guild, joining a challenge, and setting SMART goals.  You can join a challenge (there's one going on right now - don't sweat your late entry), and set some small habit building goals.  If none of the guilds look interesting yet, join the adventurers and get rolling.  You can always move to another guild at any time.

2.  Clean up your diet.  If you click on the NERD FITNESS tab, and look under the free resources, you'll find a beginners guide to healthy eating.  Remember - what you eat is 80-85% of your fitness success.  You don't have to eat perfectly; you can start by giving up your two worst items if that method appeals to you. 

3.  Do something.  Can't run?  Walk.  Remember - something is always better than nothing. 

Welcome to the rebellion.

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

I think it's great that your motivation is coming from wanting to DO things as opposed to wanting to look a certain way. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with wanting to look a certain way, but I have found that it's easiest to stick to my nutrition plans when it is structured to allow me to do (or at improve at doing) something I want to be good at. For me the challenge was finding an activity that really got me excited, but it sounds like you have several things already that you want to be able to do. 

The other thing that has been key for me is in learning that fat loss is about my diet and fitness is about my exercise. I don't think about exercise as a way to lose fat. I think about it as a way to become fit. So if someone just wants to be skinny, diet away. But if you want to be fit and like what you look like once the fat comes off, it's a great idea to do some resistance training. People tend to overestimate how much muscle they have, plus you're going to lose muscle when you lose fat unless you lift. (Even then, you still lose some.) Just my 2 cents! 

This community is cool to me because there are all these little subgroups of folks that are into different things - whether it's lifting (yay!), tai chi, endurance sports, whatever. Just jump in and see what excites you!

Good luck! You've totally got this.

-Damzie

"Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountain side..."

Goals: Training (and eating) for strength. 

Stats - 34 years old, 5'7" and 130lbs of woman. And growing.

PRs: 150 Squat, 165DL (have since fixed form but haven't retested 1RM),115lb Bench

Nerd credentials: Very loving relationship with LOTR and other such "nerdy" literature, 34 solid years of social awkwardness. 

Crap, I forgot to say that I love LOTR and Sam and agree he was totally the hero!  

-Damzie

"Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountain side..."

Goals: Training (and eating) for strength. 

Stats - 34 years old, 5'7" and 130lbs of woman. And growing.

PRs: 150 Squat, 165DL (have since fixed form but haven't retested 1RM),115lb Bench

Nerd credentials: Very loving relationship with LOTR and other such "nerdy" literature, 34 solid years of social awkwardness. 

Love LotR, and am currently leader of the Fellowship of the Thing group (see link in my sig)

Feel free to drop in and let us know your goals -- we are a very supportive bunch!

&Heidi

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid  Level 12 Philosopher and level 11 Librarian (built on the Monk class, with a training path in The Way of the Cobalt Soul)

Ranger1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 ::

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Paladin71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | :: 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 |

Shaman: 82 | 83 | 84

Philosopher-Librarian 85 |:: 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) Let's catch up: https://calendly.com/loveandpeace

The problem I think I have is motivation, I can motivate myself sure enough but when it comes to others I find it hard to say no to peoples generous offers such as *hey I'm going to get a coffee, fancy one?' or even 'I'm having a bag of crisps you might as well have one just this once'.

These need to stop! All I want to do with my life is travel, see every where, meet hundreds of people and try everything.

Welcome to the Rebellion, AR!  It sounds like you have lots to be motivated about, and we have a lot of the same goals, ie. go everywhere, do everything.

It also sounds like the biggest hurdle to you has been learning to say no to the people around you.  That takes a LOT of willpower, but there are things you can do to make it easier.

Tell EVERYONE what you're doing.  I know that sounds weird, but if you don't take it seriously enough to tell everyone what's going on, you aren't determined enough to start again when you trip.  If you tell your family and friends, "Hey guys," (I'm American, so you'll probably say something like 'Oy, mates'...just kidding), "I am really serious about getting fit.  This isn't just about losing weight for me, this is about being 25 and looking back on the last 7 years and either achieving my dreams or missing out because I haven't been healthy or fit enough to do them.  So I need your help.  I need you to not offer me unhealthy stuff.  If you're going to get a coffee, I need you to offer me a plain tea, not a frappalottafatcho with whippedsugar on top.  I really need you to challenge me (not beat me up) if I start to reach for something that I know isn't going to help me achieve my goals."

If you sit down and have a serious conversation (no TV on in the background, not out at a restaurant, just eye-to-eye and knee-to-knee as my favorite budget meister says), and tell them what's really in your heart, they will support you.  You won't find yourself struggling nearly as much.

You've got the tools!  Good luck!

Lydieboo, Level 1 Barbarian AdventurerSTR 2|DEX 2|STA 2|CON 2|WIS 4|CHA 3"Only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of total, constant amazement."

Lydieboo's Do or Die Winter Challenge