• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

spezzy

Rebels, Report! How did you do?

And so comes the end of another challenge.

So - how did you do?

Give yourself a grade, and explain why. Be honest. :)

Next challenge starts March 7th (that gives you a week off to come up with new awesome goals!). Hope you all will join us again :) Look for details soon!

I am happily giving myself a B overall, and I am pleased enough with my C25K progress (started week 6 - YAY) to give myself an A but it wouldn't really be fair since I slacked at some things that I set for goals.

Am happy with my life goals as well, especially my blogging success - see here at www.SunshineForDinner.com.

And I lost 7 pounds during this challenge!

Glad we are waiting till March 7 to start another - need to get my priorities sorted!

Here is a link to my challenge thread.

Enjoyed it! See you here next time!

Here's what I posted:

Clubs/yoga: Pretty good job. I missed a couple of workouts due to shoveling, but that could be considered a workout, so A-.

Paleo: Had a couple of questionable meals, but did pretty good. A-

Pushups/pull ups: Didn't work on these too much. Not too much progress. D

Smoking: Boo! F

Music: Not bad, not good. I did post two songs. B

Reading: I started the Zizek book, but did not get too far. C

Probably a C overall. Not my best challenge.

So I ended this challenge excited about doing better in the next one.

How did I do?:

Fitness/Diet related goals

1) Get to the gym 3 days a week and complete c25k training workouts. I did not do well on this mainly due to my impossible work schedule the last month. My 5k is April 10th so must do a better job with this next month. Overall D-

2) Walk up the very tall escalator near work when it is out of order (happens on a regular basis) instead of taking the elevator. I rocked this one I not only would walk up that escalator but I found myself walking up all escalators and stairs in lieu of taking elevators. This will continue. Overall: A

3) Write down everything I eat. I did well with this one but could have done better. Overall: B-

Life Goal

1) Wake and get to work on time (I am not a morning person). The first two weeks of the challenge this was an F. The second two weeks was an A. Its amazing how the excitement of a new person at work to take on some of the work load will get you out of bed in the morning Overall: C average

I could have done a lot better during this challenge so overall I am giving myself a C. I am excited to no longer be working 10-12 hr days thanks to us hiring a new person finally! So I think the next challenge will be more productive. :)

Goal 1: Nail Paleo like David Ortiz hits homeruns: Good, far, and certain.

This one, I was more consistent in the first challenge than I was in this one. I felt that my calories, proteins, and fats were far from consistent. I then allowed 'life' problems to catch up to me and let me cheat on a few meals. Overall I'm going C-.

Goal 2: I want a 20 lb gain minimum on weight training. The big challenge is going to be bicep curling, but we're going to get there. (Stats later)

For the most part, this was a huge success, except for the arms where my left arm regularly limited me in gaining weight in my workouts. Being that I think I was overzealous in this, I think I deserve a B-.

Goal 3: Get that consistent 5x a week in the gym, still fighting for this. Showing up at the gym is not just good enough, but going for build each time. I might be asking questions quite a bit on how to recover better, and just educate myself.

This challenge was more grueling work, yes I made myself attain my 5 days a week, but it was seeming more like a job and I was sore most of the time. I was very happy with my gains, and the new people I got to talk to and meet, but working out should never be a job.I give myself a B for filling out the requirement despite life and soreness holding me down.

Leveling up that life: I paint miniatures, particularly FoW, and typically dislike painting, but love playing. My goal is to find any method possible to get a 'platoon' a week painted to completion. I will post pictures.

I grade this as a F, some might say a D, but really I feel this was a failure. Although I was great the first two weeks, the last two weeks fell completely apart as I did nothing. I tried to rationalize the last weekend that I was re-organizing to give myself a bye, but even then I could have glued minis together. Beyond that I never took a single picture. I'm fairly disappointed in myself.

Overall I'm giving myself a C-, D+ because I should have been a bit more realistic in my goals, asked more questions, and really forced myself to step up on what I said I was going to do on the little things.

I did a lot better on paper than I feel like I did. Which is upsetting. But... because of what I went through during this challenge, I'm not going to let my upset feelings spoil my health. I'm just going to sigh heavily and look forward to doing better next challenge. :)

My goals were:

Lose weight

Continue to pare down stuff in preparation for a garage sale

Buy a jeep

Short version - did all of these, so I give myself an A.

Long version:

Lost weight - 1lb (was steady the first two weeks, lost .5 lbs each of the last two).

The first day of February saw around 12" of snow dumped on us. Didn't get to the gym for 10 days, but more than made up for it with shoveling snow multiple times for both my driveway and my mom's.

Once the snow was gone, we actually had some decent weather and I started jogging again (hadn't done any since the end of summer). Over the month, I went from jogging 1 mile, to 1.6 miles, to 2 miles in a handful of days. I've jogged a 2 mile circuit several times now, and I continue to lower my time.

I started a new job on 1/31, which gave me a new schedule (6:00-5:00 Sun-Wed) and a new position that can involve a lot of walking. Plus, I'm now on the top floor, so a trip to the cafeteria or to get a drink involves walking down 2 flights of stairs and then back up. Still getting used to the 4x10 schedule and having 3 days off in a row.

For the clutter/garage sale goal: I filled half a dozen trashcans of old papers and junk that had accumulated over the last 5 years. Lots of old work stuff, old handouts from school, etc. What was taking up all the space on a desk, the chair, and an overflowing tray on the floor has been reduced to 1 half-full tray, and a three-slot document holder.

Sorted all of the books in my daughter's room. Two big boxes of board/infant books, 2 big boxes of books that are better for her age (or soon will be). Ditto on toys - filled a giant storage crate with infant toys to be sorted/saved/sold, and two trashcans with broken toys and assorted crap (like McDonald's happy meal toys).

For my last goal...well...

Posted Image

I traded in my Hemi Dodge Magnum that I ordered from the factory (still had the window sticker which had "Made especially for" and my name on it) for a 2007 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited with just 22k miles on it. Originally, we were going to trade my wife's stratus in, keeping the Magnum as the family truckster and enabling me to get a 2-door jeep. But my wife decided she wanted to keep her car which had about 30k less miles than the Magnum. That meant I needed to replace the family vacation vehicle. The 4-door jeeps were a great fit...lots of room for luggage, and I'm still able to take the top off.

Posted Image

My goals were:

Squat 40kg, 5x5

Deadlift 60kg, 1x5

Press 30kg, 5x5

And, like clockwork, I hit them on February 28. (Actually, I squated 42,5kg, 5x5 then)

Goal setting is pretty easy when you have the StrongLifts progression chart to look at. The only thing I have to do is not skip workouts and not stall, simple. :)

Still, I'll award myself a good grade because I did hit all my goals and most importantly, when my back hurt last week, I did not skip the last workout, merely postponed it for a day and a half to allow my back to heal some more. That's an important distinction and it proved to myself that I can persevere.

So, 10 out of 10 workouts done, all goals met or exceeded: A

Oh, did I mention that my OMFG Deadlift skill went up in level during the challenge?

So! Reposted from my thread.

1. Nutrition: Continue to eat healthily - casually paleo, pay attention to sugar.

I did well on the healthy part in general. My meals in the last week were more "casual" than "paleo", but still healthy aside from the carbs. The sugar... was a problem several days every week. I remain addicted. I'm frustrated that I can't get past this. It's really hypocritical, if nothing else. I'm the first person to shout nutrition at newlings. I know calories in vs calories out is only the beginning of wellness, so I need to stop feeding myself a tiny piece of crap nearly every day.

C

2. Foot Rehab!

It's impossible to know the frustration of dealing with an injury until you have to do it. I am much humbled by anyone who has to deal with a chronic issue. I managed to take things very slow and steady, not push my healing self beyond what it's capable, and dutifully did my physio every bloody day. Still not 100%, but will hopefully get there in the next couple of weeks. Operation Stop Breaking My Stupid Foot And Learn How To Walk Again: COMPLETE.

A

3. Workouts: Work Up To Something Respectable

I went from near nothing (seated stretches. Woo) to 3 sets of 20 BW squats, 5 full pushups, 1 min plank, which is a fairly solid base. I also started a daily 12 minute routine that, while simple, works every muscle I have and does build conditioning, balance and strength via a couple dozen situps, leg lifts, pushups, supermen and bending every day, without breaking a sweat. I like it.

A

4. 60 Minutes of Household Chores Every Week

I may have done my 60 minutes every week, but aside from the first week, I didn't do anything NEW. I've always cleaned the kitchen, I've always done laundry and general tidying, and aside from a few rearranged cupboards, it was all pretty begrudging. Nothing has changed.

B

5. Stop Grumbling At Work

Yeah.... I really tried. I really did. But anyone who chats with me knows that my life at work is a very grumbly one. I have, however, stopped viewing my job as one I dislike, and my boss as one who is extremely difficult to work for, and I've made my peace with things. So.. that's not a total fail?

C

6. Secret Goal:

Work on OMFG v0.7 (or, The Post Alpha Version), which rolls out on March 7th (possibly 6th so you can see it before the challenge!). The Incomparable Spezzy, Unstoppable Dantes (who says hi from New Zealand! I hear he's shoveling silt and cranking out 50 pullups at a time), are all really excited to roll this one out, and I hope you're pleased. We polished up a few concepts, tweaked and added some new content, have one big surprise and one middling surprise about Classes, as well as making a BIG change to the format. It'll be a lot easier to follow, which I'm sure you'll cheer at, and we're no where near ready yet, but that's another story!

A

Final Grade For February 2011 Challenge: A-

I'm happy with this. I bet the next Challenge will continue the momentum and I'll do something genuinely awesome.

Edited by Alethea
Can't spell. Trying to hide it.

Closing up shop: So how did i do on this challenge? Well, let's see.

Diet 1: eat paleo for the full challenge. This was easy and I loved it, so well i did well, i won't give myself TOO many points for it. A

Diet 2: get under 300 pounds: done. Checked it off. I'm at 295 (give or take a pound depending on the day) and once my stress levels go down (work's a bear) I'm expecting to fall more. Bonus points for being woot of the week last week. A+

Workout 1: Pull Up. The bane of my exercise existence. I have made a lot of progress, but that progress only gets me halfway up and my arms then sit at 90 degrees and my forearms complain and it hurts. I call that a solid C+. Not really worth a b, but I'm improving.

Workout 2: Level 1 ranger skill to 3. Done I did many squats. I could have probably taken it a bit father. I'm only giving myself a B on this, though, because I was hoping to level barbell squats or bench press instead.

Workout 3: Fail the Bear Complex. Done, but it won't be worth a lot of points because it was easy (well .... it was excruciating, but I could have done it at anytime) A

Life: Book Reports: read, but not finished. D.

Total Score: an even B. I'm happy with that.

Brief overview of goals:

1. Keep eating right - B- - Could have been much better

2. Keep exercising - A - Very good on this. Not perfect, but good enough

3. Work on keeping up my New Years resolutions now that I've made plans - C - Didn't focus very well.

4. Start working on a personal budget - the household budget is one thing, I need to save my allowance for fun stuff. I suck at that - I need to do better - F - did zip on this.

TOTAL SCORE: Solid C+ - meh....

Well, here's how I did on paper:

goal 1: track my food - A tracked everything except for 1 night I lost track of how much I ate at dinner

goal 2: stretch workout twice a week: A+ - did it all 4 weeks

goal 3: strength workout twice a week: A+ - did this all 4 weeks as well

goal 4: cleaning for 90 minutes a week: A+ - also done every week

So on paper I got an A. However, my overall goal in all of this was to make these things a habit. For the strength & stretching it did. Now if I miss I workout I feel all out of wack.

I still had some hiccups in tracking, but that's becoming a habit. Most of the hiccups were actually thanks to the app on my phone having an update that broke it. That has been fixed, but I'm getting back in the swing of things on that.

However, for cleaning I found myself setting a timer on Sunday to make my 90 goal. I have added some cleaning into my daily routine, but just not enough to keep my house in good shape, and with spring & outdoor repairs coming, this could come back to bite me. Not good.

With all this in mind, I'd say I got a A-.

Well, Here is how it happened.

1) I hit all my workout goals including some bonus mini workouts except the week I got sick with a fever (and I STILL hit 2/4 that week) so overall : A

2) Laundry - On average I managed 2 to 3 loads per week, which is MUCH better then I have been. But I guess I could be better about folding so overall : B+

3) Paleo - This is was a delicious delicious cakewalk, and I think I want to make it permanent. Been following roughly a 90/10 split or so (one night of drinking heavily and one meal cheat) fairly easily. I cook a lot now too. Overall : A+

4) Man makers - Did them 3 times a week for the pvp challenge except the one week I did them once because I got sick. so overall A-

Overall : A and I feel awesome because Paleo owns.

1) 2 bodyweight workouts per week. I'll give this one a B+. Started the month off slow, but finally got me some proper gear and picked up momentum in the last two weeks. Going strong now!

2) 2 cardio workouts per week. That one's a B. Definitely not as keen on the cardio, I'm not so great at getting my respiration rate up to uncomfortable levels when I work out alone, but I did put in a couple of runs and did some weights fast enough to boost my heart rate.

3) 4 "quiet time" (meditation/prayer/etc.) sessions per week. Uh ... we'll go with a C on that one. I think I got around to actually doing this about 4 times total this month. On the upside, I did find some helpful new tools, such as a timer and my lovely little goldfish.

4) learn to cook 4 new veggie dishes. Hahahaha, D. I think I made, like, one or two salads. At least I didn't ignore the goal entirely. (I continued to EAT veggies this month, I just didn't learn to COOK them. I need to work on that so I won't be dependent on someone else to make them.)

Other life leveling ups: That one's an A-. I did get all my homework done on time (YAY) in spite of persistent procrastination (sigh), eventually got around to ordering some books I need for a correspondence course (now if the books would just show up in the mail, that'd be great), switched to a new bank, had Big Talks with people who needed to be talked with, took a couple ass-kicking tests and performed acceptably thereon, learned a few new self-defense moves, decorated my room a bit, and generally behaved in a responsible and courageous manner.

Overall this month, I give myself a B. Several habits need work but I am confident I'm on the road to a better me. And also aware that it is a road, not a stopping point.

Edited by Raincloak

Goal 1: Structured workouts. I realized during challenge #1 that my workouts weren't that structured, so I decided to follow the enter the kettlebell program and get some stuff done. While I didn't completely follow it, I did work out 14 ¼ out of 16 times, and set 2 new pr's. Grade is a B

Goal 2: Consistent stretching. Tight mess of muscles starting out. Between stretching and A.R.T., I was able to actually add 4'' to my bodyweight squats and fix my shoulder, knee, and elbow pain. Stretched 25 out of 28 required times. Grade is a B+

Goal 3: Clean. I need to get rid of my pack rat tendencies. I set a goal of getting rid of 4 boxes for the challenge, and completed that. Grade is an A

My final grade for challenge #2 is a A-

Edited by Clawed_Bear