PROLOGUE:

The sun is bright and clear, as it nearly always is in the monastery. NomadJay’s wandering has brought him here. He naïvely attempted to cross the mountains in the early winter. One months later he stumbled down from the mountain passes into the village frail and half-frozen, just hours ahead of the first true winter storm. The villagers provided him a night’s meal and shelter, as custom dictated, and explained to him that winter storms block the passes for weeks at a time. The high passes, the ones he must use to cross the mountains entirely, are obstructed until the late summer finally thaws them.

The next morning they directed him towards the monastery. The monks have extended their hospitality, offering food and shelter in exchange for assistance with daily chores. It is minimal work when weighed against the generosity of the monks. He sits each day and watches the monks go about their business, training their minds, bodies, and spirits, in self-imposed isolation and counts the days until he can leave.

Notes:

1.Thanks to tracer-actual for inspiring the meta-narrative concept. I think it fits quite nicely with the Secret Identity concept that Steve mentioned in an article a while back. I will apologize, however, for the cliched ridiculous story. If I were a better writer, I'd get paid for it.

2. For barbell exercises I don't include the weight of the bar itself. It's just easier for me to keep track of that way.

"If you would improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus

"You just gotta listen to your body, unless it's saying anything about stopping, pain, your joints, or needing water."

Level 20 Pilgrim (Adventurer 7, Assassin 3, Druid 2, Monk 10, Ranger 5, Rebel 9, Scout 10, Warrior 4)

AM Routine: Failed to set my alarm last night. Fortunately I was able to make up for it later.

PM Routine:

• Upper-body bodyweight circuit: dips x5, pull-up x2, chin-up x2, push-up x7; 4 reps w/ 30-sec rest period
  • Dumbbell press: 5 sets, 5 reps, 55 lbs
  • Deadlift: 5 sets, 5 reps, 100lbs
  • Back-squat: 4 set, 6 reps, 80 lbs
  • Tire-driver: 10 minutes continunous, switching grip every 2.5 minutes

Edit 30JAN: Mistranscribed my backsquat weight. 80lbs, not 100lbs :numbness:

"If you would improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus

"You just gotta listen to your body, unless it's saying anything about stopping, pain, your joints, or needing water."

Level 20 Pilgrim (Adventurer 7, Assassin 3, Druid 2, Monk 10, Ranger 5, Rebel 9, Scout 10, Warrior 4)

Morning chores: climb up to the spring, fill and lift the water buckets, climb down from the spring

[Dips x5, push-ups x2, chin-ups x2, pull-ups x2], 3 sets, 30s rest

Dead-lifts: 5 sets of 5, 100lbs, 60s rest

Front-squat: 5 sets of 5, 70lbs, 60s rest

Bench-press: 5 sets of 5, 90lbs, 60s rest

[Pulls-up x2, chin-ups x2], 3 sets, 60s rest

Afternoon chores: chop firewood

Tire-drivers: 2:30 left-grip, 2:30 right-grip x2, no rest (10:00 minutes total)

Morning chores: climb up to the spring, fill and lift the water buckets, climb down from the spring

[Push-ups x6, chin-ups x2, pull-ups x2], 3 sets, 60s rest

Dead-lifts: 5 sets of 5, 100lbs, 60s rest

Back-squat: 5 sets of 5, 80lbs, 60s rest

Bench-press: 5 sets of 5, 90lbs, 60s rest

[Push-ups x6, chin-ups x2, pull-ups x2], 2 sets, 60s rest

Afternoon chores: chop firewood

Tire-drivers: 2:30 left-grip, 2:30 right-grip x2, no rest (10:00 minutes total)

The sky was perpetually clear up until two days ago. Two days ago he woke to the sound of rain on the roof and a sharp chill in the air. The hard earth of the courtyard turned to mud by mid-day. It is a slow but consistent drizzle. Various buildings in the monastery have started to leak and buckets have to be emptied regularly. There's no need to collect water from the cistern but he helps lift new pieces of timber and thatch in an attempt to patch the largest of the leaks. More firewood is needed to maintain the hearth and ward against the cold snap.  

After 48 hours of rain he's had his fill of preciptation, but the monks are non-plussed. He is beginning to wonder if anything ever bothers them at all.

Morning Chores: Help patch the roof

Bodyweight Circuit: [push-ups x7, chin-ups x2, pull-ups x2], 3 sets, 60s rest except where noted

Free weights: sets x reps x weight (minus the weight of the bar), rest period of 60s or however long it takes to change the weights, whichever is longer.

Squat: 2x5xbar, 1x5x40lbs, 1x5x60lbs, 1x5x80lbs, 3x5x100lbs

Deadlift: 2x5xbar, 1x5x90lbs, 2x5x45lbs, 1x3x70lbs, 1x2x100lbs, 1x2x120lbs

Bench: 2x5xbar, 1x5x50lbs, 1x3x70lbs, 1x2x90lbs, 3x5x100lbs (90s rest)

Bodyweight Circuit: [push-ups x7, chin-ups x2, pull-ups x2], 3 sets, 60s rest except where noted

Afternoon Work-Out:

Tire-drivers: 12:00 total, alternate grip every 3:00, no rest

Morning Routine:

Bodyweight Circuit: [bodyweight squats x5, pushups x7, pull-ups x2, chin-ups x2], 3 reps. 60sec rest

Free Weights:

Squat: 2x5xbar, 1x5x40lbs, 1x5x60lbs, 1x5x80lbs, 3x5x100lbs

Overhead press: 2x5xbar, 1x5x20lbs, 1x3x30lbs, 1x2x40lbs, 3x5x50lbs

Deadlift: 2x5xbar, 1x5x40lbs, 1x3x70lbs, 1x2x100lbs, 3x5x120lbs

Bodyweight Circuit: [bodyweight squats x5, pushups x7, pull-ups x2, chin-ups x2], 3 reps. 60sec rest

Afternoon Work-Out

Tire-drivers: 12:00 total, alternate grip every 3:00, no rest

Planks: Front, 45sec; left side, 30sec; right, 30sec

Clap push-ups x5 (Honestly, just to see if I could)

Excellent narrative. Looking forward to following the training montage.

Thank you. I'm not certain how far I can stretch the stranded-in-a-monastery concept before it gets [even more] ridiculous. Then again, no one on the Internet knows you are. 

Morning Routine:

Bodyweight Circuit: [5 squats, 8 push-ups, 3 pull-ups, 3 chin-ups, 60sec rest] x3

Weight Training (rest times: 60s or however long it takes to swap-out plates):

Squats: 2x5xbar, 1x5x50lbs, 1x3x70lbs, 1x2x90lbs, 3x5x120lbs

Deadlifts: 2x5xbar, 2x5x50lbs, 1x3x80lbs, 1x2x120lbs, 1x5x140lbs

Benchpress: 2x5xbar, 1x5x60lbs, 1x3x70lbs, 1x2x100lbs, 3x5x90lbs

Bodyweight Circuit: [5 squats, 8 push-ups, 3 pull-ups, 3 chin-ups, 60sec rest] x3

Afternoon Routine:

Planks: [front, left, right] 30sec ea x3

Tiredrivers: 13:00, 3:15 each grip

Because of circumstances, I didn't go to the gym this morning. Instead I improvised an afternoon work-out with a weight-bar I scrounged from a junkyard a few weeks ago:

Overhead Press: 1x10xbar

Round-the-world: 10x10xbar, 60 second rest

Weight Training (rest times: 60s or however long it takes to swap-out plates):

Squats: 2x5xbar, 1x5x50lbs, 1x3x70lbs, 1x2x100lbs, 3x5x120lbs

Deadlifts: 2x5xbar, 2x5x50lbs, 1x3x80lbs, 1x2x120lbs, 1x5x140lbs

Benchpress: 2x5xbar, 1x5x50lbs, 1x3x70lbs, 1x2x90lbs, 3x5x100lbs

“What are you looking for?†asks the elderly monk as he eases himself onto the ground next to NomadJay.

“Just watching.†NomadJay says. They are in the courtyard. There are monks scattered here and there in quiet meditation and contemplation while other go about their daily chores.

“What are you looking for, not at.†The monk corrects, folding his legs underneath himself.

“I’m not looking for anything.â€

“Of course you are. You are at the monastery because you were lost in the mountains. You were lost in the mountains because you were on
a journey. You were on a journey because you left home. A man does not leave home if he is not searching for something.â€

“That out of a scroll or a fortune cookie?†NomadJay replies, sarcastically. Assisting his hospitallers with chores is one thing; submitting to pseudo-mystical psychoanalysis is quite another.

“Neither. Though if you prefer I could write it on one.†The monk smiles, patiently. “Perhaps in training you can find something of what you
seek.â€

NomadJay quirks an eyebrow at the old man. “You think I should be a monk, like you? Join the order?â€

The monk laughs. “Oh, absolutely not. You are not suited for it. In a few months the snows will melt, the passes will clear, and you will continue chasing whatever it is you’re looking for. But until then, perhaps you can make better use of your time than just sitting around in between chores and meals.â€

They are quite after that as NomadJay contemplates the monk’s offer. After a long while, NomadJay clears his throat. “I suppose there are worse ways to spend my time.â€

Challenge Thread: http://nerdfitnessrebellion.com/index.php?/topic/25119-nomad-jays-traveler-journal-first-challenge/

The old monk sits down next to NomadJay after the morning meal. "Did you accomplish what you set out to accomplish."

NomadJay shakes his head. "Nope." he admits, a little shamefully

"You are unhappy." The monk looks up at the sky and closes his eyes, letting the sun shine on his face. "As you should be. You are not easily at peace I suspect. Use the anger to progress."

"Thanks." NomadJay says. "I think."

"You are finding your way yet." The monk says, serenely.

The peaks of the mountains are still white, but the white doesn't far as fall down the sides. The snow is melting. The passes will open soon.

I've been in transit again and neglecting my training. I'm in my permanent residence again (well at least for another six months) so I reckon it's time to jump back on the horse.

16SEP13

Distance run: 4.2 miles, 34:38 (~8:14/mile); 4x pull-ups; 4x chin-ups; bent-knee L-sit (k-sit?) 2sets of 30-seconds

18SEP13

1-mile warm-up jog; 20-m sprints x5; tip-toes-tracks 50m forward x2, 50m lateral x2; 20-m sprints x4; 4x chin-ups, 4xpull-ups; 4x aussie rows

19SEP13

Distance run: 5 miles, 40:54 (~8:10/mile); 4x pull-ups, 4x chin-ups, 4x aussie rows