Cameron checking in!

Cameron

You want to look for overall trends within your training rather than compare each individual workout.

So you're saying the second workout of my "bulk" cycle isn't the definitive indicator of my future workouts? :D You're completely right, if you haven't from all of my questions, I have a tendency to over-analyze things. My fiancee gives me a lot of grief about it, haha.

If it's something you're eating (I break out whenever I eat like crap) than you'll have to do some detective work.  If it's testosterone or sweat from your workouts, your body will get used to it and the acne will calm down again.  All bets are off for artificial testosterone increases... then it's you and a pizza face, I'm afraid

I'll have to see if I can figure it out. My face doesn't really sweat at all, so I don't think it's sweat. Could be food, but the only changes over the past week have been introducing protein shakes, and my fiancee made some chocolate chip cookies. So it could be one of those things (hopefully not the protein shakes...). I think the strongest possibility is hormone changes. I'm pretty sure I've always had relatively low testosterone, but I think it's gone up quite a bit since I've started working out hard. For instance, I've noticed new facial hair that I didn't have before. I've read that working out increases testosterone, so that makes sense. 

Level 3 Assassin

STR: 7 | DEX: 4 | STA: 4 | CON: 5 | WIS: 5 | CHA: 3

Thanks Waldo, that makes the most sense. I'm just going to be diligent with the face wash and hopefully my body should get used to it soon.

Updates on Challenge:

1. Yesterday was a running day, not a workout day, so no updates here.

2. Running: Ran the whole time doing 1 minute intervals! Now, the only problem is that I suspect it wasn't ACTUALLY 2 miles. I looked up the route on Google Maps and it said it was, but I think that's not quite accurate. Next time I'm going to take my phone so I can use MyTacks to record the exact distance (plus, it gives you some other nice metrics).

3. Diet Soda: None yesterday!

4. Debt: no real updates here.

Level 3 Assassin

Updates:

1. Last night's workout was great. Pushed really hard and progressed on all of the exercises.

2. N/A (yesterday wasn't a running day).

3. Diet soda: I had one yesterday... I need to get better about this, but I always have that voice saying "you don't REALLY need to give it up for like 2 more weeks!"

4. Debt: nothing new here, just waiting for pay day.

Level 3 Assassin

3. Diet soda: I had one yesterday... I need to get better about this, but I always have that voice saying "you don't REALLY need to give it up for like 2 more weeks!"

Time to redefine the goal.  I'm thinking *does some math* "giving up diet soda" should equal "no diet soda for at least 12 days".  That should do it. :)

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Good call!

Things are about to get real tough though. Our dog (only a little over a year old) went into to surgery today to have her hip replaced (she has two bad hips from hip dysplasia). It's an incredibly expensive surgery and we could only afford to fix one hip for now. We were already expecting a long recovery (4-5 months), but they just let us know a couple of hours ago that while they were installing the new ball, her femur split in half. They wired it back together, but this is going to make her recovery much more difficult. She won't even be able to leave her crate for 2 months, and we may need to get rid of our cats.

Anyway, it's going to be tough to keep motivated. I'm going to have re-read a few of Steve's articles on staying diligent even when things suck. The last thing I want is to put my goals, and life in general, on hold for months. But damn if I don't want to just lay on the couch with a beer and a bag of potato chips and whine and moan the whole time...

Level 3 Assassin

SUCK.  I am so sorry to hear about your dog (and the possibility of giving up your cats too)!  Happy healing thoughts have been sent your way.

As for the challenge, I obviously want you to stick with it as keeping up with your goals will help you weather the tough stuff (as the body goes, so the mind goes), but keep in mind that it's not an all or nothing deal.  You can scale goals to make them easier if life gets in the way.  Slowing down does not equal stopping.  Just make sure you're moving (at whatever pace you can) forward.

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

That's a good point! But I think it's important for me to keep going at the pace I'm going. If I slow down it's way too easy for me to keep slowing until I stop. Not to mention, I have a challenge with my best friend where if we miss workouts, the other person donates $10 of our money to a charity we hate (for instance, he would donate $10 of my money to an organization that lobbies to abolish national parks or something). I'd get poor real quick that way.

In any case, time isn't really the issue. Like, I said, she can't leave her crate anyway and we have to be at home. So if anything, I'll have more time. I just need to focus on staying motivated.

Level 3 Assassin

Last night I measured my run (which I thought was 2 miles), and it turns out it's actually less than 1.5 miles. So I haven't yet reached the "2 miles with 1 intervals only" goal. Still gotta work towards that. No other real updates.

Level 3 Assassin

Okay, I took my measurements this morning, and I gained between 1 and 1.5 pounds. I think that's right on target.

My measurements were also all down by about 1/4" (if I took them right), which calculates to a body fat of 17.3%, which is 1% lower than last week. Is that even possible to gain a pound but lose 1% of body fat in a week? Or is it more likely that my measurements are just a bit off?

Another thing: last night's workout was rough. I had like no energy. By the end of the second set I was ready to throw in the towel, but I still managed to get through all 4 sets. My reps were the same as Tuesday, with the exception of planks, which I lost 15 seconds on the first set. I wonder why it was so difficult that time? Maybe I just didn't get in enough carbs during the day?

Level 3 Assassin

Okay, I took my measurements this morning, and I gained between 1 and 1.5 pounds. I think that's right on target.

My measurements were also all down by about 1/4" (if I took them right), which calculates to a body fat of 17.3%, which is 1% lower than last week. Is that even possible to gain a pound but lose 1% of body fat in a week? Or is it more likely that my measurements are just a bit off?

Another thing: last night's workout was rough. I had like no energy. By the end of the second set I was ready to throw in the towel, but I still managed to get through all 4 sets. My reps were the same as Tuesday, with the exception of planks, which I lost 15 seconds on the first set. I wonder why it was so difficult that time? Maybe I just didn't get in enough carbs during the day?

I found that I needed some more carbs. I upped my squash and sweet potato intake. Especially since you are trying to gain weight, I would try upping them and see what happens. Could also have just been one of those days, some days are just like that

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Good call! But I don't think I could force myself to eat squash or sweet potatoes! :D

I'm not going for strictly paleo, so I'll try to make sure I work in some sort of carbs before workouts. I wonder though what the optimal time frame is? Just sometime that day, or should it be within a couple of hours of the workout?

Level 3 Assassin

Yeah, if you aren't worried about Paleo then choose a different carb. I think ideal is within 2 hours. I experimented today and had my protein shake before and even at the end of the workout I still had energy

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Hormones fluctuate, sleep changes, every day is different as far as training goes.  Like measurements and bodyweight, you have to give exercises/routines time to establish trends and then adjust accordingly.  Don't freak out/declare success after one set of measurements or one slow workout... look for trends/patterns over time and then make an informed decision.  Just my two cents. :)

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Hormones fluctuate, sleep changes, every day is different as far as training goes.  Like measurements and bodyweight, you have to give exercises/routines time to establish trends and then adjust accordingly.  Don't freak out/declare success after one set of measurements or one slow workout... look for trends/patterns over time and then make an informed decision.  Just my two cents.  :)

I think that's a big lesson for me to learn. I picture in my head a very linear progression, but in reality it will probably be a lot more up-and-down. I should have actually learned that during my weight loss phase, because I updated a graph every day with my weight, and while it was all over the place day to day, in the long term it was fairly steady. Like if I had just recorded my weight once a week, it would have been pretty linear, but since I recorded it every day it was up and down. So I suppose muscle gain / workouts will probably go the same way.

Updates:

We picked up my dog (Calaveras) form the UGA vet hospital last night, here's a picture of her (I think she's upset that they shaved her fur):

YKI0htC.jpg

I wasn't able to go run since we spent the entire evening going to pick her up, so I'll have to make that up by running on one of my off days this weekend. Hopefully I'll be able to keep up with my workouts, but it's going to be difficult since she's going to require 24/7 supervision for a while.

Sunday's workout was a little disappointing, I only did 3 sets (instead of my goal of 4), because I was feeling pretty sick. I drank some crappy energy drink my friend left at my house (Mono vie? It's some girly energy drink for yoga or something), and I think it made me nauseous. Anyway, I did do a couple of minutes of handstands at the end of the night though which felt pretty good. I was really feeling that in my shoulders the next day.

Diet soda is going okay, haven't drank any this week, so I'm still on track for that goal. I also finished paying off the CNC debt, so that goal is achieved.

Level 3 Assassin

What kind of dog do you have?

Also, for surgery you might want to look into universities near you with vet schools, which can lower costs. We didn't have a choice, as UGA is the only place in the state that will do hip replacements for dogs. But in your case you might be able to save some money going that route.

How did she tear the tendon?

Level 3 Assassin

Solid workout today. I'll be working from home for a couple of weeks to take care of my dog. It's actually pretty nice for working out, because I can get my workout in after lunch when I have the most energy.

I've also decided I hate jump squats. Really, really dislike them. It seems like they just drain all the energy from me. Any suggestions for body weight exercises that will be a suitable replacement? Regular overhead squats weren't that bad, but I had to do a ton of them to feel it. But after 40 jump squats I don't have the energy to do any of the rest of my workout! 

Level 3 Assassin

So l've started closely monitoring my calorie intake, so I can be sure I'm getting enough. Pretty much everything I can find says I should be consuming 3,000+ calories a day, which seems like a lot to me but makes sense. The hard part is getting those calories from healthy sources and not spending a fortune. Anyway, yesterday I was lax since it was Valentine's Day. My fiancee works for a cheesecake company, so she brought home a couple pieces for us last night.

Took my weekly measurements this morning, and I've gained another 1-1.5lbs. The interesting thing is that, if my measurements are accurate, I've dropped another 1-2% BF. According to those, I'm hovering right around 15%. I'm a little suspicious of that, because I still have a little bit of belly fat, but at the very least it appears to be going in the ideal direction (gaining weight but losing body fat).

Level 3 Assassin

All the online calculators I could find said I should be eating way more then I actually figured out I should be.  Best thing you can do is pick a starting level, go with it for a week and see what results you get, and then adjust up or down to get the intended results.

Sounds like your initial target isn't too far off, though, if you're already getting the results you want!

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Yup! I figure if I'm not gaining any weight, then I can up the intake a bit. If I'm gaining too much body fat, I'll cut back. Right now I seem to be getting the best of both worlds (gaining weight and cutting fat), so I'll see how long I can keep that up. I imagine that's mostly just the "beginner's progress" (I've heard it's a lot easier in the beginning), and that once I get my BF% down it will be harder.

Level 3 Assassin

Managed to complete goal 2 (running for 2 miles of 1 minute intervals) yesterday. May not seem like a big deal, but as a former smoker it was a pretty difficult to get to this point, especially with it being cold right now.

I'm still on track for completing the other goals. Haven't had any diet soda in over a week, already paid off the debt, and I've been doing 4 sets on each workout.

Looks like next time I may have to set harder goals!

Level 3 Assassin

Managed to complete goal 2 (running for 2 miles of 1 minute intervals) yesterday. May not seem like a big deal, but as a former smoker it was a pretty difficult to get to this point, especially with it being cold right now.

I'm still on track for completing the other goals. Haven't had any diet soda in over a week, already paid off the debt, and I've been doing 4 sets on each workout.

Looks like next time I may have to set harder goals!

Congrats on starting to build up some running stamina, especially as a ex-smoker.

Speaking from experience, nothing puts smoking more firmly in the rear view mirror than working your hind end off getting into running shape.  Before I could run, I still craved cigarettes from time to time, and had to remind myself I don't do that anymore, just this once is not allowed.  Was really hard when drinking and around smokers.  Nowadays though there may be some sense of longing in there when I smell one or see one, running though has helped me totally detach that from the desire to actually want one.  I quite literally have zero desire to ever touch a cigarette again.  Just thinking about the amount of effort I put into running, especially early on when every run was effin hard, makes any hint of desire for a cigarette vanish.

currently maintaning

battle log challenges: 16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1
follow me: myfitnesspal
don't panic!

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines