Panera's Hidden Menu

athousandwords

For those of us who end up eating out from time to time, you probably have a mental list of restaurants where you can get Primal/Paleo food.  Until now, Panera was not my list.  But at the beginning of this year, they opened up a "Hidden" menu to all their US locations featuring surprisingly low-carb, protein-packed meals!

http://mypanera.panerabread.com/articlestips/article/access-into-paneras-hidden-menu/

For nutritional information see: http://www.paneranutrition.com/NutritionCalculator.aspx

(Note: The steak wrap and hummus bowl are tucked under "Soups & More", and the breakfast bowls are under "Breakfast Favorites")

My only complaint is that they feel the need to keep this menu 'hidden' instead of adding these options to their normal menu.  Hopefully if these meals gain popularity, they will gain a regular spot.  For my part, I can't wait to try the new "Power Steak Lettuce Wraps"!

Level 9 Ravenclaw Ranger

STR 16.25 | DEX 12 | STA 18.75 | CON 31.25 | WIS 20.5 | CHA 14.75
"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." --Michael Pollan
PREVIOUS CHALLENGES: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 CURRENT: 10

Sweet! Not sure what is meant by hidden menu though. Are the items not listed on the menu at the restaurant? So, I need to know ahead of time from the web what I want to order?

Wisdom- 13.5 Dexterity- 10 Charisma- 11 Strength- 12 Constitution-10 

Elastigirl Just Living Life - January 3 to February 6 New Year Challenge! - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"The chief goal of living is not to merely stay alive" Mike Rowe

Oh yes, this is coming to my lunch soon.  Soon.  Panera already was one of the better lunch places near my work and had a couple decent salads on its menu before, but these look awesome.

"Restlessness is discontent - and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man-and I will show you a failure." -Thomas Edison

Sweet! Not sure what is meant by hidden menu though. Are the items not listed on the menu at the restaurant? So, I need to know ahead of time from the web what I want to order?

I think so.  I believe you're supposed to tell the cashier, "I'm ordering X from The Hidden Menu" - which seems frankly ridiculous to me.  Why add healthy food and not make it known?!

Level 9 Ravenclaw Ranger

I had the steak wraps a few weeks ago and they were good. When I got there I asked if they did the hidden menu, and the cashier knew exactly what I was talking about. I think Panera does a really good job of training their staff.

I think they're not added to the menu yet because it's still in testing, or whatever they call it. I think a small handful of Paneras have it on their menu, and they're designated as "prototypes". (At least, that's how Dunkin Donuts does it - there's one in my area.) If they add new items to the menu, that means replacing signage and menus at all their locations, which is a big expense. But if one of the items doesn't work out and they want to remove it, then that's a big loss of money. I think they should just go ahead and do it, but unfortunately, that's how business works.

I think they're not added to the menu yet because it's still in testing, or whatever they call it. I think a small handful of Paneras have it on their menu, and they're designated as "prototypes". (At least, that's how Dunkin Donuts does it - there's one in my area.) If they add new items to the menu, that means replacing signage and menus at all their locations, which is a big expense. But if one of the items doesn't work out and they want to remove it, then that's a big loss of money. I think they should just go ahead and do it, but unfortunately, that's how business works.

That makes a lot of sense.  I like Starbucks' model, where they'll add new menu items to a chalkboard sign, so that it's advertised but doesn't have to be permanent. 

Still, lets hope that these new healthy meals get enough attention that they're added to the regular menu/signage!

Level 9 Ravenclaw Ranger

Yeah, I agree it would be easy to have a sign up that says "check out our hidden menu with healthy stuff!" Maybe they're hoping word of mouth and social media will make it "viral" or something. *shrug*

I'm having their turkey salad now, and it's pretty good. It came with these cute little olive oil pouches. I hope more restaurants get into those because I hate dry salads, and pretty much all salad dressings have sugar in them.

Wow this stuff sounds pretty good. I've got my eye on the Mediterranean chicken salad and the steak wraps. :3

WWBD?

"Seize the moment, cause tomorrow you might be dead!" - Buffy Summers 

level 1 Orc Warrior at heart, training with the Adventurers
STR 2 | DEX 1 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

I am so excited about this.  In my near future a hidden menu item will be ordered and taste tested.

Level 1  Pixie

Ranger

STR: 2 DEX: 3 STA: 3 CON: 2 WIS: 2 CHA: 3

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt