Obviously if I am posting an intro I'm new to the site.  This isn't my first rodeo working out though.  I got into working out because I had to take a physical education class as a requirement for my degree and I chose tennis, because tennis is really important for accounting.  Anywhoooo I realized quickly my endurance sucked and tennis wasn’t that much fun when you can’t breathe.  To remedy the situation I decided to start running on my lunch breaks.  That first mile ever was a doozy but it quickly turned into 3 miles.  One of my co workers was an avid runner….he decided to be my mentor/running coach even though I didn’t ask.  Basically he talked me into my first half marathon, the girl who said she’d never ever run over 5 miles agreed to 13.1 miles.  After training and completing my first half I was addicted to the point that I ran a full 26.2 marathon (I hurt myself in doing so).  The best part was some of my friends began running as well so more support even stepped in.  At the end of the ride my mentor/coach had to stop running due to a clogged artery and my running friends decided running was boring (yes I’m still friends with them even though they’re lame).  Some other changes occurred and running on my lunch break was no longer an option which was a problem since outside of work I was a pretty busy girl (yes yes the normal excuse).  The requirement for change descended upon me hence my introduction.

My workout regimen has changed and I need a new form of accountability.  Running has been replaced with beginning weight lifting, HITT, and sprints.  I began a few months ago but this is the first very serious month of putting my all into it.  The best part is I can get a good workout in in less time than I spent hitting the pavement as well as improved running without distance.  I will be tweaking this new routine as I go, trying to increase my strength, toning up, and better endurance in hopes that this new routine will actually improve my running without running for an hour and a half.  I do plan on adding in one distance run a week.  I have been watching Ashley Horner and she ran a better first half marathon by two minutes than my best half marathon time ever using the above techniques.

Goals: 

Increase my endurance and running speed through sprints and HITT

Increase my strength and definition through weight lifting

Run only trail races

So let’s get the party started!  Also I consider myself dorky over nerdy.  I’m the girl you happen upon who’s dancing at her desk because she thinks no one is around.  YAH that’s right I get down all alone Elaine style.

Level 1  Pixie

Ranger

STR: 2 DEX: 3 STA: 3 CON: 2 WIS: 2 CHA: 3

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

My friends also got bored with running with me :( 

Sad stuff, but anyway, welcome to the rebellion! Good luck on all your goals! Look forward to some race results in the future! 

"It's always the ones that don't do anything that try to bring you down" - Henry Rollins

"There is no meantime, there is only now" - The Ditty Bops

Trail Blazing Elf Ranger Sumdawgtwigg Level 3  STR-3 DEX-4 STA-4 CON-3 WIS-5 CHA-2

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

Exactly like that!

I know...terrible idea....it's causing me to gain weight LOL....all your fault.

Level 1  Pixie

Ranger

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Welcome Mindisruption, great goals and I think you really won't regret cutting running down and replacing with resistance training like weight lifting e.g. Barbell squats will def improve your sprinting.

Although I'm much older ;) I have benefited heaps from including weight training into my hockey (field) training.

I hope you enjoy NF, the people are great :-)

Ps although Goodwince asks lot of questions we all love his banter!

'Don't quit, two words, that's it' :-)

WELCOME!! It's exciting you're here in "person" since we warriors hear about you a decent amount. (I hope that's not the awkward thing someone says when they first meet someone?)

Although you obviously have a solid plan in place, I'll second running improving after adding weights. Before I did strength training, I felt like I had no cushion when I ran. Adding in strength training makes everything better!

Can't wait to see how far you go!

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

2" washers for smaller weight increases

I am really interested in seeing how my running changes due to changing my whole workout routine.  I mean it does make me a little nervous because I am used to doing a ton of running, having a running plan before my races, mixing in technical runs, so not running feels strange.  I am still doing a technical run through sprints and man those are hard to build back after a break.

It's good to hear that my change is for the better for my running.  I will be adding in one distance run beginning this weekend so I'm excited to see how it feels.

Saying something awkward can sometimes break the ice in the best way.

Level 1  Pixie

Ranger

Well if you're all worried about weight gain. Maybe you should take pictures! Hows the clothes fitting?! Getting buff bro?

How about fitness model buff not fitness competitor buff?  I do have before pictures for this round.  You can be my judge.

Level 1  Pixie

Ranger

WELCOME!! It's exciting you're here in "person" since we warriors hear about you a decent amount. (I hope that's not the awkward thing someone says when they first meet someone?)

Shhhhhhhhhh

You should post your routine a bit? What's your plan for the week? 

Warrior in Training - I squat, therefore I am TestChallenges Feb-March | Log | PvP one | Old Challenges three, fourfive, six

Social. MFP | Fitocracy

Hey Mindisruption,

Welcome to NF! I am/was an avid runner and recently got benched during training for my first marathon, so I decided to switch things up and start strength training. I often mix sprints into my workouts and honestly haven't run more than 2 miles in a long time. Every once in a while I start to get kind of panicky about "I'm not running enough" but then again, I've seen changes in my body in the last month that I never saw when I was running. 

So from one runner to another, welcome!

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

Hey Mindisruption,

Welcome to NF! I am/was an avid runner and recently got benched during training for my first marathon, so I decided to switch things up and start strength training. I often mix sprints into my workouts and honestly haven't run more than 2 miles in a long time. Every once in a while I start to get kind of panicky about "I'm not running enough" but then again, I've seen changes in my body in the last month that I never saw when I was running. 

So from one runner to another, welcome!

Do you plan on trying another full marathon? I participated in one and would like to do a trail marathon.

Level 1  Pixie

Ranger

Glad you are here!  I am a big BIG fan (both figuratively and literally) of HIIT in all it's many forms.  HIIT is most of what my workouts are, both body weight exercises and running.  Although my running is only being geared for 5k distances.

Woot Woot and I say go get buff.  Lift heavy stuff, run fast, throw things ....... well that is what I do...

John AKA Brute Squad

Challenge Thread

Man, Myth, Legendary Hero

Ogre Level 5 .....do Ogres have any class?

www.mydatewithnatalieportman.com

Love much, this will all be over in a minute :love_heart:

Glad you are here!  I am a big BIG fan (both figuratively and literally) of HIIT in all it's many forms.  HIIT is most of what my workouts are, both body weight exercises and running.  Although my running is only being geared for 5k distances.

Woot Woot and I say go get buff.  Lift heavy stuff, run fast, throw things ....... well that is what I do...

I like this idea!  I have a mental image in my head of just being bada**.  When I feel like I hit a weight goal or speed goal with running I do feel pretty awesome, quite like a bada**.  HIIT is awesome.  I have really grown to love it.  The fact that it’s challenging is awesome, I get my sweat on, and all in a short amount of time.  My pushups have seriously improved due to HIIT.  Where do you get your HIIT routines from?  It’s awesome that you’re running no matter what it is you’re training for.  Running sneaks up on you…..it snuck up on me….next thing you know you’ll be geared towards a half marathon.

Level 1  Pixie

Ranger

First of all imagine, if you will, a 6'4" tall dwarf.....that is about how I am built...I have a 31" inseam....yeah....... so I am deadly over short distances......

I get my HIIT from www.bodyrock.tv  I modify them or hodge podge them together to meet my needs.  Now they have multiple formats that makes it easier to meet my needs.  I do C25K and sometimes my own version there of sprint and walk and run and walk and sprint.....etc depending on my mood.

I am currently nursing a strained shoulder, so all my body weight HIIT is modified to keep from making it worse but still get in a good workout in minimum time.  That is what originally got me to do HIIT.

John AKA Brute Squad

Challenge Thread

I also get my HIIT routines from bodyrock.tv (Daily HIIT).  Have you ever seen Zuzkalight.com?  That's the cofounder of BR's new site, she is different from them so it brings a variety into HIIT.  Right now I am doing the BR 30 day challenge.  I was suggested to try BR and then I really got into HIIT due to BR as well.  That’s so cool that even with an injury your figuring out a way to still get in a workout.  Most people (including myself) would make excuses why they can’t.  Hope your shoulder starts to feel better.

Level 1  Pixie

Ranger

I literally watched BR for over a year before I started doing modifications of the workouts.  Because...well a hot chick working out....I was following them when they were living in Prauge, and then as they traveled the world.   I check her site from time to time, but for a while she wasn't updating.  So I fell out of the habit.  I will definitely have to make a run at her site tonight!  I am thinking I will run Thursday and Saturday.

John AKA Brute Squad

Challenge Thread

Do you plan on trying another full marathon? I participated in one and would like to do a trail marathon.

Perhaps in the future. Right now I'm training for a sprint triathlon (500m swim, 12.5 mile bike, 3.1 mile run)

Also, this is hilarious about the BodyRock, ZuzkaLight, and dailyHIIT. I have been stalking those websites for a long time. I tend to watch a lot of exercise videos on YouTube, like "good calf stretches" or "how to do a deadlift" and one random night in the "Related Videos" section there was this blonde girl with huge boobs, so I obviously clicked on it. At first I was like, "... what is this what I'm watching?" and then she busted out a hardcore workout. After a few weeks of stalking BodyRock videos, I decided to try one thinking, "that's not so hard" and then I hurt, a lot. I did the BodyRock workouts for a while and did their little monthly challenges, etc. I felt like I was giving it my all, but I honestly never really saw improvements, so I got distracted and did some bootcamp style stuff, and then started marathon training. But I watched the whole BodyRock divorce go down, replacing the video host, etc. I don't stalk dailyHIIT as much as I stalk ZuzkaLight. I haven't tried one of her workouts, but I've come close. I have a hard time doing workouts "for time" because I tend to rush and forget form. 

Sometimes I feel like BodyRock and/or dailyHIIT are kind of weird. I can't put my finger on it but it's like there's too much emphasis on how you look and being really strict about stuff whereas Zuzka Light seems more laid back and realistic about what working out and diet is really like. Thoughts?

So that's everything you wanted to know about how I stalk ZuzkaLight.com... :)

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

Shhhhhhhhhh

You should post your routine a bit? What's your plan for the week? 

This is very funny coming from you.

Plan-

Sunday: HIIT

Monday: Rest

Tuesday: Starting Strength; Squats 110 lbs Presses 47.5 lbs Rows 65 lbs, HIIT x 2

Wednesday: Sprint (4 intervals .25 mi), HIIT, Starting Strength; Squats 110 lbs Bench 55 lbs Dead lift 110 lbs

Thursday: 3 mi hike, HIIT, Sprint (maybe)

Friday: Starting Strength; Squats ? (increase) Presses 47.5 Rows 65 lbs, HIIT

Saturday: FIT TEST, Run 5 mi (maybe) or Yoga

Level 1  Pixie

Ranger

I completely agree with what you’re saying.  Lisa has had a lot of plastic surgery and it's a bit sad to watch.  She went from being this really cute bubbly fit chick to overly obsessed with not looking good enough.  It's not a good example as far as helping people feel more confident.  I enjoy the workouts, I think Sean is really cool, but Lisa I don't care for as much as I used to.  The one thing is that chick is a beast in endurance.  Zuzka is more chill.  I think her site needs some work like posting the workout break down.  I have done a few of her routines and I do enjoy them.  The best part about her is she hasn't lost her personality in all of this, she's very real, like someone you'd meet on the street and have a fun conversation with.

Huge boobs or the posing in the pictures got you to click LOL...I have to say I don't blame you for being drawn in that way.  The poses always drew me in hahaha.

Level 1  Pixie

Ranger

I completely agree with what you’re saying.  Lisa has had a lot of plastic surgery and it's a bit sad to watch.  She went from being this really cute bubbly fit chick to overly obsessed with not looking good enough.  It's not a good example as far as helping people feel more confident.  I enjoy the workouts, I think Sean is really cool, but Lisa I don't care for as much as I used to.  The one thing is that chick is a beast in endurance.  Zuzka is more chill.  I think her site needs some work like posting the workout break down.  I have done a few of her routines and I do enjoy them.  The best part about her is she hasn't lost her personality in all of this, she's very real, like someone you'd meet on the street and have a fun conversation with.

Huge boobs or the posing in the pictures got you to click LOL...I have to say I don't blame you for being drawn in that way.  The poses always drew me in hahaha.

I never like to say, "Well I don't like that girl any more, she's had so much plastic surgery" because I totally understand what it means to be insecure about your body, specifically about body parts you can't change. But at the same time, the whole purpose of working out is learning to love yourself, accepting your body for what it can do right now, and working to get better. It also makes me wonder... Here's a girl who has a killer body, she's the host of all these videos with millions of YouTube views, and she's still insecure? She still feels like she needs big boobs and lip injections? If you aren't comfortable with yourself when you are super fit and successful, when will you ever be comfortable with yourself? 

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

Here is the second ever comment that involves my gf NF.....I can't keep this up....

She was a bit upset that Lisa felt she needed a boob job.  BUT, not nearly as upset as when she saw how big she went.  She could buy into, "flabby boobs and want to fill them out"  But not so much into the need to look like a Barbie.

I like the workouts.  I don't worry about how they approach the diet, I have my own strategy and take responsibility for the results. 

But really that is all we are doing here isn't it?  Taking responsibility for our health and our life.  As such creating our own happiness.

Perhaps I am drifting, but I just said it the other day.... Happiness, relationships, and life are not static nor accidental.  They are pursued and created and always changing.

John AKA Brute Squad

Challenge Thread

I agree with both of you.  I didn't mean to come off as I don't like Lisa because of plastic surgery.  I have a baby list in my head of things I would get done because diet and exercise won't fix certain things like skin issues.  My thing is Lisa is on a public website promoting being healthy and loving our selves.....like Brutesquad says taking responsibility for our health and happiness.  Lisa's breast implants didn't bother me, but her going crazy and starting to get what I refer to as "plastic surgery face," is what bothers me.  Like MariahSnow is saying, if you’re not satisfied with yourself even when you do hit what we see as a successful career and body, your still insecure where your getting plastic surgeries and even those “improvements†are not helping your self esteem, than when will it end?  I totally agree.  And that’s where I have a problem with someone who has major insecurities being the voice of a program aimed at motivating people to feel more secure with themselves.  I feel like Lisa was more secure in the beginning of her BR journey than she is now.

Brutesquad I see where your girlfriend is coming from, it wasn’t the plastic surgery that bothered her it was the extent it went to.  I agree with her.  There are women who get breast implants and you would never know.  All they do is enhance their breasts, get them back to the shape they want, without going to this extreme of having extremely large Barbie like breasts.

Happiness is what we make of it and we are all on a journey to find how to balance that in our lives.  I am an emotionally stressed person so I have to constantly remind myself, bring myself back down, changing the way I handle things (even though I am not always successful) to figure out what happiness is for me.  I’m not perfect at it and it’s a constantly evolving idea of how to handle situations better because I do want more happiness in my life.  I also want more happiness for the people around me and if I can be a more positive person I can help others be more positive.

Level 1  Pixie

Ranger

I agree with both of you.  I didn't mean to come off as I don't like Lisa because of plastic surgery.  I have a baby list in my head of things I would get done because diet and exercise won't fix certain things like skin issues.  My thing is Lisa is on a public website promoting being healthy and loving our selves.....like Brutesquad says taking responsibility for our health and happiness.  Lisa's breast implants didn't bother me, but her going crazy and starting to get what I refer to as "plastic surgery face," is what bothers me.  Like MariahSnow is saying, if you’re not satisfied with yourself even when you do hit what we see as a successful career and body, your still insecure where your getting plastic surgeries and even those “improvements†are not helping your self esteem, than when will it end?  I totally agree.  And that’s where I have a problem with someone who has major insecurities being the voice of a program aimed at motivating people to feel more secure with themselves.  I feel like Lisa was more secure in the beginning of her BR journey than she is now.

Brutesquad I see where your girlfriend is coming from, it wasn’t the plastic surgery that bothered her it was the extent it went to.  I agree with her.  There are women who get breast implants and you would never know.  All they do is enhance their breasts, get them back to the shape they want, without going to this extreme of having extremely large Barbie like breasts.

Happiness is what we make of it and we are all on a journey to find how to balance that in our lives.  I am an emotionally stressed person so I have to constantly remind myself, bring myself back down, changing the way I handle things (even though I am not always successful) to figure out what happiness is for me.  I’m not perfect at it and it’s a constantly evolving idea of how to handle situations better because I do want more happiness in my life.  I also want more happiness for the people around me and if I can be a more positive person I can help others be more positive.

You didn't sound like that at all. That's my personal thing because I struggle a lot with the idea of plastic surgery. On one hand I understand insecurity and wanting your body to look different. At the same time, I really want to accept my body for what it is. Sometimes it seems like an easy exit because you can just pay to look different whereas other people either work hard (diet, exercise) to look different or just live with the body they were born with. But then, what about someone who is terribly insecure about a body part that doesn't change with diet and exercise (like boobs)? Agghhh, I could think about this all day and I have without ever coming up with a solution.

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5