I challenge you to grow some...

I picked up some dragon willow twig cuttings at the garden show.  They're leafing out like crazy in a jar of water in my nice warm apartment.  Unfortunately they really can't stay in here unless I want to turn them into a hydroponic experiment.  (Which might be fun...) 

I'll have to trip down to a creek this weekend and find a place to plant them.  They probably won't grow catkins this year, since it's already March.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

You are all making me excited for spring, however it's supposed to snow here tonight so I will have to wait.

Running goal - Dopey Challenge 2015

Training to complete an Ironman by 2017. I can swim .5, bike 112, and run 26.2, separately.

Buckland Hobbit, Level 4 Scout

STR 10.25 | DEX 6 | STA 12.75 | CON 8 | WIS 9.75 | CHA 5.75

Still too wet here. But it would be very pleasant to sit down today with my seed catalog and order some seeds. Spring will be here soon!

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

This seems like the gardening thread at the moment - anyone have any tips for controlling aphids indoors?  I'm overwintering a habanero plant that seems to go through cycles of aphid infestations.  I feel like I've tried everything!

When you say 'everything,' are you including soapy water?  neem oil?  Pyganic spray?  Those are the three big ones I can think of.

This used to be where  my weight loss progress bar was. Maybe it will be here again when I'm ready to face the scale and work on my fat problem.
 NewBattleLog              OldBattleLog (between challenges)

Spoiler

Don't let what you cannot do
interfere with what you can do.

-John Wooden

2013 Running Tally: I lost track in July, at 148.925  ((plus 0.5)) but I finished a Very Slow marathon in October. Then I mostly stopped.
2014 Running Tally: 134.1 miles plus 5k (as of 17 September) lost track again, but I know I had at least 147.2 plus 5k for 2014.
2015 Running Tally: 41.2 treadmilled miles & 251.93 real world miles

2016 Running Tally: 0

When you say 'everything,' are you including soapy water?  neem oil?  Pyganic spray?  Those are the three big ones I can think of.

Soapy water - check

All sorts of concentrations of pyganic spray - check

Ladybugs - check (of course I can't get ladybugs right now, because it's winter, but we tried them when we first brought the plant in)

neem oil - check, and it was brutally expensive.

diatomaceous earth - check

garlic oil - check

hot pepper oil - check

mint plant right beside - check

squishing - check

aphid traps (yellow sticky things) - check

They just keep coming back.  It won't be an issue once the plant can be outside again, because then I can wash it off with the hose, but that doesn't work when it's freezing out.  I could try washing it off in the sink or something I guess, but it's a pretty big plant.

Yay for growing your own food!  My husband and I started 2 years ago with basil and dillweed in a pot on the back porch.  We now have a 16sqft garden with broccoli, carrots, tomatoes, basil, oregano, cilantro, and garlic (so far).  We also have a cocktail tree (grows both lemons and limes on it, how cool is that?) and a red grapefruit tree.  I'm hoping to add strawberries and blueberries this year.  I love cooking with food right from the garden, and I find it soothing to get outside and tend to the plants as well.  Fresh air, care of living things, and all that.

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

They just keep coming back.  It won't be an issue once the plant can be outside again, because then I can wash it off with the hose, but that doesn't work when it's freezing out.  I could try washing it off in the sink or something I guess, but it's a pretty big plant.

:(

The only thing I can think of is to bring it into the shower (at happy-plant-temperature, not happy-human-temperature), and hope for spring temps to hit soon.  Hopefully the plant (and your sanity) will make it til then! 

This used to be where  my weight loss progress bar was. Maybe it will be here again when I'm ready to face the scale and work on my fat problem.

Spoiler

-John Wooden

2013 Running Tally: I lost track in July, at 148.925  ((plus 0.5)) but I finished a Very Slow marathon in October. Then I mostly stopped.
2014 Running Tally: 134.1 miles plus 5k (as of 17 September) lost track again, but I know I had at least 147.2 plus 5k for 2014.

cocktail tree (grows both lemons and limes on it, how cool is that?)

That... that sounds awesome!  I want to put one of those in our window and just not think about the light bill over the winter!

Spoiler

-John Wooden

I think bed prep is Wednesday. Soil is at 60, but we are due for a 2 inch rain, which never works well. But we are still getting insanely killer salads from the overwintered lettuce & mild mustards (fabulous stuff from Wild Garden Seed). I never knew how awesome mustard rapini was until a couple weeks back...

That... that sounds awesome!  I want to put one of those in our window and just not think about the light bill over the winter!

My particular tree is a (dwarf) Meyer lemon grafted with key lime.  I don't know how hard it would be to find in your area, but Meyer lemons are actually popular as houseplants, and can be kept to about 5 feet tall.  If you could put it in a south-facing window, you wouldn't need extra lighting.  Otherwise, you might.

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

We have been growing our own vegetables for the last two years in summer. I haven't bought a can of tomato sauce, BBQ sauce, or jams since then. Not to mention the unheard of quantities of caprese salad and tossed salads I eat over the summer. I'm still using up our shallots and onions. We have two 4X8 raised beds and I am putting in two more this year.

For anyone not sure  how to make a raised bed it's simple. Mine are 18" high. The only tools you need are a hammer and nails.

I use pressure treated. This is safe as they no longer use arsenic. Get these from your local big box store. Almost every store will cut lumber for you.

For each raised bed you need:

1 4"X4"'X8'

9 2"X6"X8'

Have them cut them cut the 4X4 into 4 pieces 2 feet.

Then cut 3 of the 2X6X8 in half.

Lay down two of the 4X4 and nail 3 of the short 2X6 to them. Repeat one more time. You know have two ends.

Then nail the 8' 2X6 boards to the sides 3 per side. Boom! Done in about 15 minutes. Fill garden soil. Boom garden ready to grow.

Two beds will cost you less than $100. 

25%20lbs%20Tomatoes%20Sept%209-M.jpg

6%20Pints%20BBQ%20Sauce%20Aug%2025-M.jpg

smugshot_5015858-M.jpg

Check out my woodworking at peonywoodworks.

lol you're way more motivated than I am.  I have a few stones surrounding my raised bed.  And well- as of right now it's barely raised- it's cardboard and leaves.

Glad we got a nice soaking today into tomorrow to flatten everything down- I'll hit up Lowes on the way home and buy soil- then more green things.  I'm totally down with lasagna gardening.

How did you lay out your two beds?  I'm pretty sure I know where I want my tomatoes- but I want to make sure everything has room to grow and not crowd as well as sun issues.   did you find certain things did better next to other veggies?

Any flowers you'd recommend adding for pest protection?

I use the Square Foot Gardening method. Actually, my wife does. I do the building and I made the irrigation system.  She does everything else. We also start everything from seed.

You are supposed to be able to put one tomato plant per foot but they get so big it becomes a mess. So last year we did tomato then basil every other. Then peppers one per foot. Carrots can be I think 12 per foot. Same with onion and lettuce. You wouldn't believe how much salad you can get from 4 sq ft. Plus you can replant throughout the year. SO we start two ft, then a few weeks later plant more lettuce. That way we always have some ready. Those tomato picture don't even touch everything we got. Marigolds in the corners. Basil near the tomatoes keeps away tomato parasites. We are just starting our seedlings now. Rocks work for the garden but I like them raised up for two big reasons. One, weeds. It keeps them to a minimum but it does take a lot more dirt. Two, you don't have to bend down as far and you can sit on the edge if you want. 

8%20Quarts%20Crushed%20Tomatoes%20Sept%2

Check out my woodworking at peonywoodworks.

Awesome news from everyone it seems.  I'm very interested in square foot gardening so once we get settled somewhere I'm going to try it. 

MasterofCows-I've heard that some plants you can put in your bathtub (filled with water) and drown them...or at least "smoke them out".  Not sure how well it works or if it would work for a pepper plant but I thought I'd pass it on. 

"Do what I do.  Hold tight and pretend it's a plan." -The Doctor

Nothing is impossible.  The word itself says I'm Possible.

I do the square foot gardening method. Love it. We grows bunches of lettuce,chard,carrots and other stuff. I don't get enough sunshine for tomatoes though.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27