Wazzoo - My mission to level up

Right folks,

This is entry one into my blog. I'm here for the same reasons you are. Tired of the same sh*t different day. It's all very good to sit about and wonder what it would be like to be as ripped as Ryan Reynolds, but until you put your best foot forward it's nothing more than a dream. It's time I made this a reality (my other dream is to dance like MJ, one step at a time).

I'm 26, male and from Jersey. Not New Jersey, just Jersey. A small island in between England and France. Currently weighing in at around 174 lb, height 5ft 11in and BMI of 19.4% I'm not overweight nor am I particularly unhealthly. Still that doesn't mean there aren't any improvements to be made. In preparation for my mission I have rid my flat of all unhealthy food and drink, replacing with veggies and meat, read many articles on NF and I'm halfway through Rob Wolf's Paleo solution.

My goals are rather simple. I would like to be in the 10-12% region for BMI and increase all over body strength. My reasoning is straight forward. I have a blood condition that prevents my blood from clotting. As a result, I'm injury prone and my recovery is almost non existent compared to normal people. I need to strengthen the muscles around my joints to protect them. As you get older, it takes longer and longer for your body to recover. I need to get this sorted now so I'm fit and strong enough to play with my future children and lead an active lifestyle going forward.

The current time frame I've put on part one of my mission is 9.5 weeks. Obviously you're asking why? Everyone else has. It was simply how it fell into my calendar. February 4th - April 4th. Within this timeframe I'd like to use the Paleo diet and regular exercise to get into a routine of healthy eating and cutting down my BMI. I also have a mini sub goal for this part, I've recently quit smoking (since the beginning of January). My new healthy persona doesn't recognise smoking and so far so good.

Today was day one of my mission. How am I doing....? I've had a far from uneventful start.

Wazz00

Grey Elf - Ranger

Level 1

STR - 3 DEX - 3 STA - 2 CON - 1 WIS - 2 CHA - 4

The strong live off the weak. The clever live off the strong.

Day One:

Hungry and grumpy all day. Really grumpy.

Breakfast was a banana and small glass of OJ.

Snack of a celery stick, few cucumber sticks, half a red pepper, half a carrot and two cherry tomatoes.

Lunch was chorizo and tomato soup. Bit of a cheat as it had small chunks of potato and some sort of bean, which I’m pretty sure I’m not allowed.

Three cups of coffee and two cups of tea. Which I think I’m going to have to try and cut down on. Ample water.

Dinner was Mediterranean mixed veg (peppers, red onion, calottes, courgette and cherry tomatoes) sliced/quartered and chicken breast, sliced on top with cracked black pepper, garlic and nutmeg with a sauce of olive oil, chili powder, chili flakes, ground coriander, paprika, mixed spice, lime juice and honey, poured over the chicken and roasted with tin foil for 30 mins @ 180 fan then for further 10mins uncovered. It was lovely but not enough. Still hungry after.

Run after dinner, one lap 9 mins 49 secs. Not impressed. Actually KILLED my lungs and wheezy chest is still here almost 45 mins after finishing despite use of inhaler. Hot, bothered and in pain. Absolute rubbish. Coughing up all sorts of sh*t.

After dinner snack of a few nuts and a kiwi.

It was hard work, but that's the first day done. It better get easier with time!

Comments, opinions and questions welcome. Thanks.

Wazz00

Grey Elf - Ranger

Level 1

Welcome to the Rebellion and congratulations on beginning your journey.  I started down the path to getting fitter and healthier about two weeks ago and already feel like some aspects of the process are getting easier.  One of the hardest parts for me has been planning what I'm going to eat in advance.  I'm at work about 10 to 12 hours a day and have found that I need to bring a LOT of food to keep from getting super hungry by the end of the day.  I've also found that posting in my "battle log" helps keep me honest and on track.  Keep at it because it does in fact get easier with time!  Will be looking forward to hearing how your Day 2 goes :)

Change always sucks, until it doesn't.

Thanks for the comments Vagaries. I can definately see the problem with working such a long day and keeping yourself going. Glad to hear things are getting easier, I'm looking forward to expirencing the change!

Day Two:

Overall feeling… still hungry and pretty damn grumpy. Although, grumpy from pretty much the moment I woke up. I did feel less so in the afternoon but I don’t know whether to credit that to my boss leaving early today. The manager I usually work with is on holiday and my boss seems to think I need checking up on every 5 minutes. This really isn’t the time to be testing my currently zero patience.

Annnnyway. Food…

Breakfast was kept simple with a banana and a small glass of OJ… again. I don’t mind the repetition in the morning because I’m quite a routinious guy. (I know routinious isn’t a word but for the past few years I’ve felt that it needs adding to the dictionary. I’m gonna e-mail Oxford).

Snack, same as yesterday. Celery, carrots, cucumber, peppers and cherry tomatoes. I can see myself getting bored of this so if anyone has any recommendations, I’m all ears. FYI – I’m on the fat burning Paleo so am limited to how much fruit and nuts I can eat.

Lunch. Oooo, now. Lunch was some left-over lean beef chili I cooked just before I started Paleo (I navigated around the kidney beans, and obvs, no rice) and a side salad. That set me up for the afternoon a treat! I needed the protein today, as it is my first session back at the gym.  

If you read day one, you will know I think I drank too much tea/coffee. Today I had two cups of coffee. Mission accomplished.

Soup for dinner. And what a soup. My sister cooked it but I was hovering around to get a look to see what went in (she has joined me on Paleo). It was butternut squash with fresh chili’s, onion, cumin, chili powder, garlic and rosemary, simmered for half an hour then blitzed with the zapper until smooth. Larvely.

Off to the gym. Luckily I’ve got a few friends who are free weight gym rats so I’m in safe hands. One of whom is on Paleo too. I won’t go into too much detail but the memorable events were:

Squats: 3 sets of 5 @ 30kg
Military press: 3 sets of 5 @ 15kg
Bicep curls: 3 sets of 5 @ 15kg
Bench press: 4 sets of 10 @16kg

Small figures I know but I need to start slowly otherwise my recovery will take too long.

We also did something they call super sets. Three of us, one does press ups, one sit-ups and one bicep curls. Ten of each and rotate until you drop. Good fun!

Finished off the evening with a protein shake and an apple. Day two. Done.

Wazz00

Grey Elf - Ranger

Level 1

For snacks you can still have fruits and nuts (obviously in moderation), as you're hitting the gym and doing cardio, which creates a nice calorie deficit, so you can afford to have the odd extra piece of fruit or handful of nuts.

Ranger
str 4 - dex 4 - sta 3 - con 2 - wis 2 - cha 1
Level 1

Epic Challenge #1               Quest list

"Fitness is not 80% diet and 20% training, its 100% dedication to your diet and your training."

May I suggest eating a bigger/protein packed breakfast to help with the hunger. One thing I've noticed since changing my eating habits, if I don't have a good breakfast the rest of the day I'll feel hungry. 

Also that soup for dinner sounds amazing!

GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

Cheers guys. I'll take note. I struggle when it comes to breakfast as I don't really eat eggs (although I'm going to make an effort to try them. Have you got any suggestions as to what else I can have that will give me a protein hit in the morning? Thanks.

Day Three:

Sooo, day three. Three days longer than I ever thought I’d last. Must say, I did feel a lot better today in terms of mood and energy. I felt almost back to my usual self. We had a team meeting after lunch today (I was late back as I had a few things to do on my lunch break ((buy more veggies)) and didn’t get a chance to eat before – my worst nightmare) so I was sat there, having said my bit, I glanced around the room to notice other, older and slightly larger colleagues struggling to keep they’re eyes open. I found it hilarious as I know it’s usually me! Whether it’s coincidence or I actually have more energy, I don’t know… yet.

Breakfast, same again but fellow Rebel Jonsey said I should pay a bit more attention to my breakfast. So, in addition to the banana and OJ and had a handful of nuts. Not a bit difference but they were just sitting there and I thought, why the hell not.

Snacks, celery, cucumber, carrot and cherry tomatoes. I gave the peppers a miss but I replaced with some cashew nuts.

Lunch, I had a really nice lunch today. I bought some sliced chicken tikka breasts and had them with a side salad. What really made this was the lime and mint dressing. It works with the tikka REALLY well. If you want to make some at home… try it:

Zest and juice of one lime, handful of chopped/crushed fresh mint, few finely chopped fresh chives, dash of white wine vinegar, bit more than a dash of light olive oil (depending on what consistency you want).

You might have noticed that I don’t use “proper†measurements. I don’t really use measurements, I trust my instincts when I cook and taste as I go. I urge you to do the same. You can’t balance flavors well if you don’t know what effect they have.

Two coffees and a tea. Fair play.

Dinner, I went for it today and it was… pfff, read this and judge for yourself:

Pork loin steaks with a honey and mustard marinade. In the marinade was, a bit of soy sauce and a 50/50 ratio of Worcester sauce and balsamic vinegar, crushed garlic, Dijon mustard and of course, honey. Good honey too, not the plastic kind. That was poured over the steaks in an ovenproof dish and cooked at 180 C (356 F) for about 40 mins, turning halfway through. When you take them out, use the remainder of the juice as gravy.

Spicy lime and coconut sweet potato mash. Cube and boil a sweet potato for 20 mins. While it’s boiling, mix together some coconut butter, the zest of a lime and some of its juice, ground coriander and cayenne pepper. Mash the potato and mix in the butter mixture.

Stuffed pepper. This was last minute as the mushies looked like they wouldn’t last much longer in the fridge and I don’t like wastage. The big mushroom, portabello I think. Chop up some sweet pepper (the long ones), a chili and quarter some cherry tomatoes. Plop it all on the top of the mushroom and cook for 20 mins at 180 C (356 F).

I also did roast parsnips and carrots. Wack em in a baking pan, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with fresh rosemary for 40-50 mins at 180 C (356 F).

I chose not to go for my run today because I’m still swore from the gym yesterday and I plan on going tomorrow. Need to let the body recuperate. Day three. Done. I’m getting good at this.

Wazz00

Grey Elf - Ranger

Level 1

Congrats on joining up.  You will find quite the support group here.  This place can offer help or just be a place for you to vent.  

Your introductory post was all too familiar to me.  I am somewhat the same size and shape as you and want the same things as you.  Even the Ryan Reynolds reference, hit home.  I have said that I wished I looked like that.  It will get easier, to the point where it is just habit.  Stick with it.  Don't give up!

If you need any more help or advice, don't be afraid to ask!

Élan Scout Level 2STR-5, DEX-4.5, STA-8.25, CON-1.5, WIS-3, CHA-2I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday.

Compete Everyday

OMG....Do you have left overs of that sweet potato mash? Lol.

Some breakfast suggestions, some have eggs in them but its not a straight egg. :) I also like to add in a Vanilla Protein powder that I get, to some of my meals because 1, I can't taste the protein, but it adds a nice vanilla flavor and 2, it's a boost of protein. I see you are doing paleo, so I'm trying to keep that in mind with the suggestions.

Breakfast Quiche - SOOOO many options and they freeze well
Egg, beef & Sweet Potato Hash
Frittatas
Sweet Potato Latkes
Protein Fruit Smoothie/Green Smoothie with a Paleo Pancake
Paleo Breakfast Bake
Breakfast meatballs - meat, maple and some veggies
Paleo Cereal
Banana bread 

Also, don't forget that you can have meals that are typically eating at dinner as Breakfast as well!

GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

slsanders2, I think there are many of us out there. Roughly 50,000 by the looks of it! It's good to know others share (all too) similar goals. I've never been a blogger and didn't know how people would react... or even if they'd read at all. Thanks for the support!

Jonesy. You've out done yourself there lad. I'm going to put aside some time this weekend to try a few different things to see what is feasible. I don't think the "dinner for breakfast" thing is really me but I'll see what's what. Thanks for the help.

Day Four:

I suppose day four is where I get all cocky and be like, “Yeah I own this. I’m gonna have a six pack in a week!†True, not only 30 mins ago I was thinking just that. Might be time for a reality check and get my head back on the ground.

Today was good. Tired upon wake up but by the time I got to work I felt fresh and energetic. I had a bit of a shock this morning but it turned out to be an absolute miracle. Let me explain. I suffer from CRONIC indigestion. I mean every day. If I even look at a glass of milk I get indigestion. I have to take prescription pills every morning to keep it at bay. If I miss even one, all hell breaks loose. I ran out this morning. Here’s the miracle… I had no indigestion today… AT ALL! That hasn’t happened for years. I am thoroughly impressed. Absolute epic win!

Breakfast, same and with nuts. Tomorrow I’m going to start having some protein shake in the mornings to give me a boost.

Snack, I forgot my snack today! Doh. Luckily we have a woman with a food trolley that goes round so I got a banana and an apple.

Lunch, went for the salad and French dressing today. Roast ham too. That did me just fine. The hunger afterwards is manageable now. Thank god.

I think today was two coffees and a tea. I don’t feel like I need more. I miss the milk but I don’t really feel I need it.

Dinner, beef stew. I’m a massive fan of beef stew. It’s something that I ate before going on paleo and the only thing that needed changing was no potato. Simple enough.  You know the score with stew. Beef, gravy, veg, slow cooker (or I believe you guys across the pond call it, crock pot?), mouth. Job done.

I hit the gym after dinner again tonight. I was still swore from Tuesday so I didn’t go over and above what I did before but I did a few extra bits, detailed as follows:

Bent knee raises: 4 sets of 10
Lat pulldowns: 4 set of 10 @ 35kg
Shoulder press: 3 sets of 10 @ 25kg

I’m happy with that. I’m worried it’s going to ruin me though. I don’t want to over do it and wake up in a day’s time unable to move. Finished off with a massive protein shake, and apple and a handful of nuts. BED!

Wazz00

Grey Elf - Ranger

Level 1

Day Five:

Another good day. Slept uneasy after the gym so found myself getting angry at silly things today. No biggie though. Not compared with Monday and Tuesday. Spent most of the day hungry as well. One of the women on my team went out and bought everyone different flavored Kit-kat’s. The woman next to me had the peanut butter one. She caught me staring longingly at it and offered me half. I declined with a quiver of my bottom lip. Close call. Also, another happy day indigestion free!

Breakfast, had my protein shake in addition to the banana and nuts. No OJ though. It helped keep my hunger free until 10-30ish. I’m guessing these unwanted bouts of hunger are only temporary?

Snack, same old. Had yesterday’s celery, cucumber, peppers, carrots and tomatoes. I’m thinking of ditching the tomatoes as I think they have significantly more sugar than the others. I might try and replace them with something. Any suggestion?

Lunch, same as day three. I bought the chicken on offer. Three packs for £6. Salad with lime and mint dressing. I really like this lunch. It’s fast becoming my favourite!

Just the two coffee’s today. I’m steadily increasing my water intake too. Not necessarily deliberately but it’s just something I’ve noticed.

Went for a run before dinner today. Much better than day one. I managed two laps at 20 mins. I think each lap is about a mile or just under. I should clarify, it’s not a lap of a track, it’s just a loop around where I live. It starts off downhill, up a few large sets of stairs, continuing uphill at the top until ¾ through then downhill back to my house. It’s pretty tough.

Dinner, smashed it again. Decided steak was the way to go tonight so I splashed out on some really nice rump steak. I also bought a spicy rub for it. Take the beef out the fridge, pat dry with a paper towel and let the steak or beef come to room temperature, or “bloom†before you cook it. Apply the rub straight out of the fridge if you’re using any. I use a griddle and like my steak rare(ish). For a standard size rump, all you need is 2 mins either side, turn once. Then wrap in tin foil (aluminum foil) for a further 6 mins. Perfect. I did spicy sweet potato wedges. Part boil for 20-25 mins, leave to cool, cut to wedges and place on a baking tray. I made a mixture of spices and applied before, half way though when turning and again after. I looked online and in shops for a sauce that is paleo friendly but couldn’t find anything I liked. I decided to make my own… three Portobello mushrooms, half a red onion, half a sweet pepper, a chili and two spring onions. Slice em all up and pop in a blender with some Dijon mustard and a splash of olive oil until like a thick paste. Try it and add salt/pepper/spices to taste. I added a little beef stock to this to make it runnier and to get a better blend. I then poured into a frying pan and simmered with a few extra button mushrooms until it was how I like it. All served up with some carrots and peas. I was very impressed at how well it all came out.

After dinner I relaxed and watched Rocky. Early to bed as gym tomorrow at 10! Last thoughts…. Still hungry!

Wazz00

Grey Elf - Ranger

Level 1

Day Six:

Survived the first Friday night alcohol free. Went to bead early and up fresh for the gym at 9-30. Pretty standard Saturday. Though my first Saturday session at the gym in a while. I was expecting it to be empty but it was fuller than normal. Had a good session, key points as follows:

Squats: 3 sets of 5 @ 35kg
Shoulder press: 2 sets of 5 @ 30kg (one extra at on the last set, because I could)
Power cleans: 1 set of 5 @ 40kg
Barbell rows: 2 sets of 5 @25kg

Was a bit wobbly for the rest of the day but felt ok. The only thing is, I think I pulled a muscle in the back of my thigh. I must use this as a warning to stretch properly before I train!

Lunch, sliced Moroccan chicken breast. Unfortunately this gave me indigestion, but I’m not too bothered as it was manageable.

I put a bet on the footie this week and ended up winning like £23. Extra plus point for the day!

Dinner, I made a Thai chicken curry. I bought all the ingredients from this oriental place in town. It was great but it was SO hot!

Went to a friend’s house in the evening to watch The Godfather 2 and eat some chicken wings.

Again, in bed early. Another Paleo day done.

Wazz00

Grey Elf - Ranger

Level 1

Day 7:

I was a bit swore today from the gym on Saturday. My leg has become worse. I’m hopping that this won’t affect my training next week. It’s my day off today so I’ve had a bit of time to mend. Kept it easy, cleaned the flat, which is actually pretty good cardio if you put your back into it.

Win for the day was trying scrambled eggs for breakfast. I had them with bacon, it feels like I’m cheating with the bacon but I think it’s okay? Someone correct me if I’m wrong. I grilled it so it wasn’t drenched in oil. Anyway, I actually enjoyed the eggs. Might try and make better use of that going forward.

Lunch, pretty simple. Banana and a pack of ham. Bit lazy but I was on the way to a friend’s to watch the football so just grabbed it quickly.

Dinner, roast chicken and honey glazed veg. My sister cooked tonight. We got the chickens on special offer. Two chickens for £7. Blinding result!

Early to bed tonight as I need to rest my leg. I’ve got the run tomorrow and I don’t want to miss it.

I do believe that’s week one done. Just 8 and a half to go!!

Wazz00

Grey Elf - Ranger

Level 1

Hi! Wow, you are doing amazing! Good job on sticking to your goals, and improving your run. As for the food, I recently started switching over to paleo, not all the way yet but getting there. Breakfast is a huge challenge for me because I hate it. Hands down, I just don't like to eat in the morning, and I also have had an egg aversion my whole life. Bacon is ok (even though it feels like cheating to me too), and smoothies are awesome for the mornings. Often I put a double scoop of protein powder in mine. As for the eggs, I have learned to mask them. I put salsa on them, put them in quiches, put them on salads, or put hot peppers in them. So that might work for you.

A way that we have managed to keep mostly healthy is by buying meat for 4 or 5 days at a time, and packs of steamed veggies. Often I make my husband a chicken breast to take to work, that he eats with a veggie pack. Its actually easier than you think to cut a lot of the bad things out, often I cook things I would normally eat except I leave out the grain and beans, etc. We had a lovely taco salad minus the taco shell the other night. 

It sounds like you are off to a awesome start, and I love that you are posting how you make things! Just look around the internet and you will find lots of cool things. There are lots of good paleo recipe sites that are good. Good luck with your goals, you are doing great!

Thanks for the comments guys.

Marybelle, I agree, breakfast can be tough on paleo. I used to love my cereal in the mornings but it's a big oh no no while on paleo. I like the idea of a smoothie in the morning and I suppose you can get cherry protein powder etc to put in it as well. That would be perfect for after a work out too. I'm going to try eggs cooked in different ways to see which I prefer. Salsa sounds good. I'm hoping my taste buds will change over time and I'll learn to like them. Everyone always goes on about how amazing they are. I'm enjoying looking around for recipes and trying new things but you're right, you can still cook all the food you used to, just make some minor adjustments. Thanks for the encouragement!

Lavendercat, it's funny how your body will shake itself out of a routine if you let it. How's the non smoking going?

Day 8:

First day of week two today and looking forward to getting on with it. I’ve been told by many that once you’re past the two week mark, it’s not a struggle anymore. I read one of Steve’s articles and very quickly diagnosed myself as a “Rationalizerâ€. I have a knack for convincing myself not to do something because, “I’ve had a hard dayâ€, or “I’ve been really good this weekâ€. It has always been at the core of everything I’ve applied myself to. Giving up smoking is easy; I’ve it hundreds of times. The trouble lies in blurring the lines, I need a clear distinction, black/white or yes/no. With this lifestyle change (I hate the word diet too), I’ve learnt that “No†means “Noâ€.  I have it in my head that if I have one biscuit (cookie) or a packet of crisps (chips) I will have failed. I do not consider these food items an option anymore. I’ve applied the same mentality to stopping smoking and I haven’t had a cigarette for over a month. It all boils down to kicking the habit. For example I was at my friend’s house over the weekend and out of habit, I reached into a bowl and pulled out a few Doritos and was half way to my mouth before I realised what I was doing. I had to sneakily return them and take a few steps back. Fingers crossed I can keep this up for the remainder of my challenge.

Breakfast, Weetabix (lol kidding), banana, OJ and a protein shake. I’ve got some ideas in the pipeline for a paleo breakfast cereal but I’m going to wait for it to materialise before I tell you all.

Snack, good old celery, peppers and carrots.

Lunch, I prepared at home the night before. Salad with a tin of tuna with a little pot of French dressing. It was nice but not as great as the chicken slices I go on about constantly. I’ve been told there’s a place down the road from my work called Loaf that will put a fresh salad together for you for £3 which seems good. I’m going to try that and will update you accordingly.

Dinner, I went for some jerk chicken this time. I followed the same format as the day one but for the sauce, this time I used brown sugar (I know I’m not supposed to but it’s not a lot), cinnamon, cayenne pepper, nutmeg, ground cloves and fresh thyme. The sauce was really sweet and sticky. Loads of Mediterranean style veg. Loads of colour, love it.

My run went okay. I was pretty shattered throughout but I made better time 19 mins 10 secs over two laps. I’m pretty sure I started the timer two early too but I can’t prove it so we’ll stick with what the clock says. I found out that each lap is just over one mile so I'm happy with the time/speed but I want more laps!

Protein shake, apple and bed. Ahhh bed. It's twice as good when you earn it.

Wazz00

Grey Elf - Ranger

Level 1

Day 9:

Day 9 will be my last daily entry into this blog. I intend to keep it updated with anything that I feel is worth mentioning. Such as achievements, milestones, tips, questions and of course dinner recipes. I will still be updating regularly, this is just to cover me if I forget!

Today is pancake day. F*cking pancake day. I walked into work and there were fresh pancakes delivered from a bakery with all the toppings you can think of. Literally everyone from our two teams was swarming around them, making sure to catch my eye while eating. It didn’t really bother me. I didn’t want one anyway. I just had some water.

Breakfast, OJ and a banana.

Snack, usual chopped celery, cucumber, carrot and pepper with cherry tomatoes. I really quite like my snack.

Lunch, I tried that Loaf place I mentioned yesterday and it was nice. Full fresh salad (you choose what you want) with chicken and ham with a bit of green pesto for £3.70. I got halfway through before I realized sweetcorn isn’t actually paleo so I tried my best to dodge it.

Dinner, barbeque style satay skewers chicken with salad. The satay was made with almond butter instead of peanut butter so it’s all good. Satay sauce was lime juice, almond butter, soy sauce and a bit of olive oil. Skewer up and marinade for an hour or so in the fridge and grill.

Gym tonight… it was great. Felt like my exercises are getting more controlled and therefore more effective. Key points as follows:

Squats: 3 sets of 5 @ 40kg
Bench press: 3 sets of 5 @ 40kg
Deadlift: 2 sets of 5 @ 60kg
Chest dips: 4 sets of 5

Lots of protein when I got home. Feeling okay, not too tired. Hopefully wont be too swore for my run tomorrow!

Bed.

Wazz00

Grey Elf - Ranger

Level 1

can't believe you've never tried Loaf until today....you work opposite it!! They do some banging sandwiches. Obviously from my pre-paleo days but they were still pretty good.

If you want more laps on your circuit do more laps!! just take it easier on the last one if its knackering you out!

Dont forget to look at some Deadlift form videos on youtube!

Ranger
Level 1

"Fitness is not 80% diet and 20% training, its 100% dedication to your diet and your training."

Turner_prize - I've tried Loaf but only for sarnies. This was the first salad from there. Although I hear The Terrace at my work mixes a better one. I'll try this week.

Do more laps you say? 3 laps and 27 minutes was it today? Very chuffed with that. We'll be doing 8 minute miles in no time.

Too late for dead's today, I'll look tomorrow.

lavendarcat - Sorry to hear quitting smoking isn't going too well. I used one of those electronic cigarettes to heavily cut down how many I smoked. I then stopped smoking that. I didn't decide to, just one day I didn't use it and never looked back. I found it helped MUCH more than any other quit smoking program out there. I know a lot of people who have used them and the people in the pharmacy always say how much positive feedback they get. If you haven't seen or heard of them, go into you local pharmacy and ask a few questions. Here's a link to the website... check it out:

http://www.vapourlites.com/

Good luck!!

Wazz00

Grey Elf - Ranger

Level 1

Week 2:

I’ve made 2 weeks. Things have really started to settle down and I’m feeling like I’m living a normal life. Just healthier. I’ve got into the Paleo routine now and I don’t find it a struggle. I’m finding myself less hungry between meals now and even though I’m training hard at the gym and really pushing myself on the runs, I’m not feeling tired or achy at all. The amounts I’m lifting at the gym have rapidly increased and my lap time now puts my first to shame. I’m losing a bit of weight but that’s no my sole goal so I’m not too worried. My BF hasn’t dropped but it’s only two weeks in. I am noticing small changes in my body shape though. Here are some of my gym and running stats:

Deadlift: 70kg 1 set of 5
Bench Press: 47.5kg 3 sets of 5
Squats: 50kg 3 sets of 5
Shoulder Press: 32.5kg 3 sets of 5
Power Cleans: 40kg 3 sets of 5
Running: 3 laps – 24 mins 02 secs

Making healthy progress but I think I may be trying too much too fast. I’m going to take next week and work of form rather than pushing up the weight.

The eating is going well. I’ve had some nice dinners this week, including a mini roast (chicken quarters), Thai mango chicken, Italian meatballs and beef stew. The lunches have been pretty standard, chicken or ham salad. I’ve started eating scrambled eggs on Sunday’s with some bacon, may add a sausage with week! I bought a trail mix from a health food shop which contained all kinds of nuts, coconut, dried banana, raisins and various other bits and bobs and had that with almond milk on Saturday’s before the gym. It’s amazing!

If you want me to post any of the recipes for any of the above meals, let me know and I’ll put em up. The meatballs were mega tasty fyi.

The second week went well. The weigh in was at 76.6kg down from 78.1kg and still no cigarettes in sight! On to the third week!

Wazz00

Grey Elf - Ranger

Level 1

If you want me to post any of the recipes for any of the above meals, let me know and I’ll put em up. The meatballs were mega tasty fyi.

start posting in here boss:

http://nerdfitnessrebellion.com/index.php?/forum/19-recipe-book/

Ranger
Level 1

Week 3:

3 weeks on the clock now and the diet is still going well. I missed my Friday run for this week but it was due to a work meal that I agreed to go to before I’d seen the error of my ways. I kept my meal Paleo and stuck to the soft drinks (I had 2 J2o’s as a treat) while those around me consumed vast amounts of calories and alcohol. I was proud of myself. In my books, it makes up for missing the run.

As I’ve made some good progress with my weights over the past 3 weeks I’m going to keep them the same for week four and work on my form. A couple of times now I’ve made an error in a lift and ended up hurting myself. Nothing major but if it happens again it could mean trouble. That leaves me a week of form to become comfortable with the weights I’m at now. I’ve noticed vast improvements with the lower weights as I work up to the heavier ones. What I once considered a workout is now a warm up!

I’m seeing changes in my measurements too. Since I started, I’ve lost 2.4kg. My waist has reduced from 36†to 35â€; I’ve gained an inch on my chest and ½ an inch on my biceps. All the measurements are doing the right things. It’s just a case of keeping it up. My BF % had hovered at 19.6% for the past 2 weeks but today I took a consistent measurement of 16.4%. I really don’t think this is accurate so will re-measure in a couple of days.

I’ve started the 6-week challenge too. My main target is to work on my pull-ups. I’ve taken a “Pay the toll†policy with the pull-up bar over my kitchen door. Every time I want to go in, I have to do two pull-ups. If you want to read further on my goals, please check out the following link!

http://nerdfitnessrebellion.com/index.php?/topic/24822-challenge-accepted%E2%80%A6-page-loading%E2%80%A6/

Week 3 done. Onwards and upwards!

Wazz00

Grey Elf - Ranger

Level 1

YES Vagaries! Countertop dips are my favourite!! I'll make you think twice about microwave meals, that's for sure!

P.S. I've never realised how many times I go into the kitchen before.

Wazz00

Grey Elf - Ranger

Level 1