225x1 

Seated Rows

60x10

80x10

100x10

120x4

90x10

Hamstring Curls 10x3 bodyweight

Lat Pulldowns - these weren't even on the agenda today but I just felt pumped and not ready to leave the gym yet

60x10

100x10

120x5

90x10

• Like 1

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. - Wayne Gretzky." - Michael Scott.

Still looking super awesome Albeus!

Deadlifts are killers!! :)

Thanks Seven! Yeah DL seems to be my runaway best lift. I focus on it a lot because I love it! Gotta start spreading the love to the other lifts to make sure I'm well rounded.

Friday's Workout:

The gym location I have been going to for the last year closed down, so for the last two workouts I tried out a new location, the next closest one to me. I hate it! The layout is different, the people seem douchey, and the pull-up assistance machine is different and much harder, I can do less reps and need more assistance. BOO!

Pullups:

140lb assist x 6

130lb assist 5 x 3

Dips:

140lb assist x 6

130lb assist 5 x 3

Trap Bar Carry 40 ft:

these weights are what is loaded, I don't know what a trap bar weighs 35lb?

90 x 1 

140 x 1

160 x 1

180 x 1

that last one was really hard, I had to take a break at 20ft, and I tore the callous on my left hand pretty bad. I really like this movement, but doing it the day after DL is a stupid idea. I'm going to have to move it somewhere else in the schedule. Shrugs was also on the menu but due to stinging gross hands I stopped. Going to add those on to the next workout.

Finished with the elliptical for 20 min. Going to start adding these in 3 x a week for at least a lil light cardio. They are also good for stretching out my legs after squats. I set it on a high cross ramp so my legs make a big circle with low resistance. It seems to help lessen DOMS.

• Like 1

Day 7 of cut, holding steady at 181 point something. Finished with 1709 calories yesterday. My original goal was to cut for seven days, or until I hit 179 pounds. I guess it is going to take another week so here we go. I also need to drop down to 1500 to get there in a week. Adding in 20 min cardio 3 x week as well.

I started adding my daily calories and my weight to the calendar in our kitchen recently one day, really on a whim. But I've found it got my husband more involved with my goals, and he has been more supportive than usual, asking questions, cheering me on. It is nice. 

He suggested I stop lifting completely and just run and do bodyweight stuff to lose weight fastest. I said NO WAY MAN but I am switching to 8 reps x 4 sets this week. Not going for any 1RMs.

Long term plan after this week - increase slowly back to maintenance over 3-4 weeks preparing for strongman. I'm considering a small bulk a week or two before strongman competition, but I'm right at the high end of middleweight and don't want to accidentally cross over into heavyweight for weigh-ins.

• Like 1

Monday's workout:

OHP

45x8

65x8

75x8

70x8x3 was supposed to be 75 for 4 sets but too heavy!

Farmer's Hold with 45lb plates: 2 minutes 30 seconds! Now I know for sure my issue with the heavier weights dropping quickly isn't my muscle endurance, it's my grip.

Shrugs with 45lb plates. These felt really good, I think it pulls down on my shoulders even better than dumbbells because the center of gravity is lower. What sucks is there is no way to increase the weight, just reps.

8x3

Leg Raises (that weird back bench where you hold yourself up with your arms)

8x4

Russian Twists with 18lb kettlebell

8x3

I tried to do the rower for 20 min, but my back got sore very quickly after 5 min, so I switched to elliptical for the remaining 15. Also my day was hectic so I didn't get into the gym until 9pm, and was up until 1 am because I was wired afterward. No more night workouts!

My calories keep slowly creeping up, 1799 yesterday and holding steady at 181 lb. I don't think I'm doing this right. Time to reread Waldo's articles!

Just checking in to say, doing some great work there Albeus!

I just skimmed the whole log. Awesome progress on your lifts!

Thanks guys! Yeah I am really proud that, even thought my weight and measurements have only improved slightly, my lifts have improved dramatically in the last 12-18 months. I have to remember that on days like today, when I've been holding steady at 181 point something for 8 days in a row, and with every passing day it is increasingly frustrating. I feel like I'm at the beginning of the Eliminator trying to run up that reverse treadmill. 

803626.jpg

• Like 1

Sunday's Workout:

Clean and Press

45x6

65x5

75x5

80x4

85x3

65x5 was supposed to be as many as possible to failure, I guess that's all I had left

Zercher Squats

45x8

65x6

75x6x2

Lateral Raises

7lbx5

7x8

10x10

15x4

12x6

12x8

Trap 3 Raises

7lbx8 each arm

10x8

15x5

12x8

I was playing around with these to see what would be challenging reps at different weights

Elliptical 18 min

• Like 1

Because I did back yesterday, all my press and back work was spread over two days. Kind of weird, but I'll be back on track for squats on Tuesday.

Monday's Workout:

Seated Cable Rows

60x10

100x10

90x10x2

Lat Pull downs

60x10

120x6

100x10x2

Lat Pull overs

35lb DB 10x2

40lb DB 10x1

Decline Situps 10x3

Farmer's Walk 60lb x 3

went for 3 laps around the free weights floor. I think that is the farthest I've carried that amount of weight. My forearms were so spent afterward I couldn't use the pen to write down anything for a few minutes. Yay grip work!

Elliptical 8 min cool down

• Like 1

You are my inspiration Albeus. :)

D'aawww. This website has seriously been the catalyst that changed my life. The knowledge and inspiration I've gained from this site and the people on it during the last year is immeasurable. I'm glad others feel the same way I do!

Today's Workout!

Squats

bodyweight x6

45x6

85x4

115x2

135x1

I somehow got it in my head that today I was going to try a bodyweight squat (180lb) but it became very clear that wasn't going to happen when 135 felt super heavy. Maybe it's the new lifting shoes, yeah that's the ticket.

100x5x4

Calf Raises

90lbx10x3

Sled Pulls

90lb 50ft x 2

Tire Flips

Here's where it gets fun!

medium tire 8 x 2

big tire x 2

Afterward I went online to research the weights. I figured they were around 100 and 200 by the feel of them. AS IF I KNOW HOW MUCH TIRES WEIGH.

After looking them up online I was really surprised to find out the medium one is a Razorback R-4 19.5L-24 and weighs ~210lb, and the big one is a Goodyear 20.5-25 and weighs ~310lb!

Holy crap I flip 300lb tires now. That's a thing I do. I was giving everyone this stare walking out of the gym afterward

gina-carano-wonder-woman.jpg

• Like 1

Today's workout:

Was supposed to be regular BP but they were all taken so I used the decline BP instead

45x10

75x5

100x5

115x6x4

95x12 new max reps PR!

Chest Flys

25lb DBs x6

20lb DBs x10x2

Curls

25lb DBs x6x2

20lb DB x10

Was supposed to do dips last but two women were hogging the assisted pullup/dips machine and I didn't want to try to work in, so I did the cable triceps pull down instead. I know I know!

Blasphemy.

60x10

70x10

80x10

90x8

I hadn't used that machine since 2011 so it was hard finding the right resistance. By the time I hit a good number I was ready to go home and eat!

Today's Strongman Challenge Workout

This was, to say the least, a learning experience.

1. Axle clean and press / Log press medley, 3 reps each

To sub for the axle bar I used a barbell, and for log press the closest I could approximate was dumb bells.

75lb BB / 70lb DB (35 ea hand) - made all 4 reps of each good start!

85lb BB / 80lb DB - OH NO. too heavy. At this point I got pretty mad. I could only do one rep of each. I sat on the bench and was like, dammit this isn't even the competition weight and I can't cut it. So I had to do an ego check, put away the weights that were too heavy for the reps I needed, and used a 65lb BB and 50lb DB. I was able to complete the 3 reps each medley in 1 minute 5 seconds. I'll just have to keep adding incrementally from here each week and see where I get by the end of the month. I would rather get used to the movement, and jumping back and forth between each set up, even if it means < competition weight. 

2. Deadlifts - at the gym I as at the guy was hogging the floor, so I tried to do them in the squat rack but I hated the feel so I decided to come back and do these later

3. Zercher squats (to approximate atlas stones)

45x5

65x2

85x2

105x1 new PR!

95x8 in 75 seconds. I was pretty happy with these, but oh man was I sweating and panting by the end. That eighth rep was ugly and in just under the wire.

4. Sled Pull (to approximate truck pull)

I loaded 180lb on a sled and pulled it 50ft with a strap around my waist. I tried to drag it the 50ft back but ran out of steam and had to take a plate off to make it back.

5. Farmer's Walks

The weight clips don't fit on the handles correctly, so I was afraid of loading 45s to get 90 each hand. I did 25s instead so they were 50lb each. I was able to make it the 50ft and back no problem. The actual farmers handles are easier to maneuver than I thought they would be. So I might just keep using DBs to work on grip strength and upping the weight.

All this happened this morning. Then later in the evening, fueled with cookies and ice cream, I went back to the gym and finished my deadlifts.

2. Deadlifts Redux

95x3

145x1

185x1

210 attempted and failed twice. Not too happy with this, but considering the workout I tackled this morning I'm not sure why I was expecting to set new PRs.

185x4 this was great! My previous max reps at this weight was 3

145x12 in 75 seconds. This was also brutal toward the end.

Lessons Learned:

Conditioning! Doing max reps in a short period of time is SO different from leisurely resting between sets of 4,5,6 reps. Or singles. I know, you are slapping your face and saying DUH! But today really highlighted for me the difference, and I think I'm going to end each major lift this week with a final set that is balls out max reps for time. 

Monday's Workout:

OHP

45x6

65x6

75x2

85x1

95x1

105x1 new PR, it was ugly but I locked it out!

75x6 (this was supposed to be 75x6x4 but it quickly fell apart)

75x4

70x6x2

60x10 (max reps to failure)

Lat Pulldowns

70x6

90x6

120x5

105x6x4

Farmer's Hold 65lb DBs one whole minute! up from 45 sec last time yay!

• Like 1