Fitness advice for the temporarily immobile?

Hello Rebels!

I decided to join this fine site after years of perusing Women's Health and Shape for fitness advice and never feeling super comfortable with the mounds of conflicting information and the approach/mindset toward fitness ("Be Yourself- No Need to Change!" "6 Tips on How to Completely Alter your Habits!").

My ultimate goal is not weight loss, since I have come to recognize that when I feel my best I am generally packing some sweet muscle and weigh more. I just want to get my cardiovascular system tuned up (quit a 10 year smoking habit a month ago!), and I am working on slimming down just a tad. I dance burlesque so I can't become a twig- I need to keep some jiggle. With that in mind, I need to work on flexibility also.

So here comes my plea for advice: I recently underwent a small surgery on my lower back that probably won't be 100% healed for 6-8 more weeks. I've altered my diet to not become a beached whale as I basically am relegated to my couch during recovery.  I can move about a bit, but anything that could irritate my wound is verboten. 

Any thoughts on exercise? The internet has been surprisingly void of solutions.

Thanks!

Hello! You're absolutely right that there is a crazy amount of conflicting misinformation regarding health and fitness and as a society, we flip drastically from embracing one extreme or another. That's why rebels question everything!

Congrats on quitting smoking and being ready to make other postive changes! For now, while you're not able to doing anything too intense while recovering, would you be comfortable just doing some gentle stretching, mobility or yoga? It can be both relaxing and a nice workout for your muscles.

Thanks! You know, the more I read the featured success stories and other members' experiences on the forum, the more I realize I'm kind of using my wound and limited mobility as an excuse. I pretty much just can't do anything that would cause friction on my tailbone, really, so yes I CAN totally do yoga! I can also probably do push-ups and bicep curls with dumbbells, and certain moves with the yoga ball...just need to get off my ass :-)

I feel like exercising despite my current situation will really mentally prepare me for when I'm recovered, because if I can do it NOW, then I really have no excuse when I'm physically better.

Ok, I'm going to go do plank position for 2 minutes and do 20 pushups. And then 20 minutes of yoga. Wow, setting specific goals really does matter, doesn't it? 

Wow! Great job with the goals. So nice to meet a fellow dancer :) I think I'm going to join you with a mini challenge, though I'm just getting back in the workout routine. Yoga totally isn't my thing, but I'll do a set of planks totaling 1:00 (15 sec middle, 15 sec each side, 15 sec middle) then 20 pushups (starting with real ones, but I'll probably end up on my knees). Lastly, I'm going on a self-paced walk/run. I think today I'll go 30 minutes. I was going to set an alarm to do it in a bit, but there's no reason I can't get off my boo-tay right here right now! Thanks for the inspiration :)

Psionic Amazon

Ranger-Assassin

STR-1 DEX-3 STA-0 CON-3 WIS-4 CHA-4

"And hand in hand, on the edge of the sand, they danced by the light of the moon." -Edward Lear, The Owl and the Pussycat

http://fit-2-hit.blogspot.com

Are you able to perform exercises on your back as long as it's supported? For example, sit-ups may be too much strain, but something like bicycles or leg lifts, even if you have to keep your legs a little higher, would still provide some core work while keeping your back in a safe zone...?

Psionic Amazon

Ranger-Assassin

STR-1 DEX-3 STA-0 CON-3 WIS-4 CHA-4

"And hand in hand, on the edge of the sand, they danced by the light of the moon." -Edward Lear, The Owl and the Pussycat

http://fit-2-hit.blogspot.com