Time to lose my love handles!

Hey everybody,

I'm 30, from the Surrey/Hants/Berks border in the UK. I am and pretty much have always been overweight.

I'm currently 205lbs, 5'11". I gave up my 20 a day smoking habit and my WoW habit (NE Druid) just over a year ago, and I only drink very occasionally.

So I've recently joined a new company (I'm a Software tester), and everyone here uses the local gym. Good excuse to pull my finger out and get in shape.

Oh and I'm getting married on 2nd March this year and have 2 kids.

I've actually already hit one of my targets, which was to join the gym (and go for the induction!).I went earlier today for the first time ever, and managed 25 mins of cardio with minimal issues.

My overall goals are to have a 6 pack and to be able to do 100 consecutive push ups. I figure by the time I can do both of those, I'll be in pretty good shape.

I created myself an "Gym Level" spreadsheet which assigns EXP values to each type of activity. It also contains a Lvl 1-50 scale with increasing amounts of EXP required to "ding". I started this morning at Level 0 - 0 EXP, got a quest bonus of 100EXP for joining the gym, 10EXP for actually going and a further 90EXP for the cardio I completed. This gave me the 200EXP I required to hit Level 1. Level 2 is at 400EXP, 3 - 700EXP, increasing up to 282600EXP for Level 50.

Not sure the values I've set for each activity is representative (Crosstrain a km - 12EXP, Push up - 1EXP etc), but will give it a go and see how I do.

I'm hoping that I can use this system as an extra incentive to keep going to the gym.

Maybe have other skill levels as I go along (cooking etc), I'm an RPG'er at my core (Planescape, Final Fantasy, Elder Scrolls, Fallout Etc)

Sorry, that's probably way too much info for an introduction!

Cheers,

chojin

Troll Adventurer

Level 3 STR 10.5 - DEX 4.5 - STA 4.5 - CON 8.7 - WIS 8.5 - CHA 9

Inventory: Babel Fish, Carrot Nunchucks, Fire Flower

Introduction Challenge #1 Challenge #2 MyFitnessPal

Welcome to Nerd Fitness! Congrats on the wedding, and the level. You seem to have a nice plan in place, now just to execute it. 

Scout 30/Ranger 1 (3 skipped)

Spoiler

"I must not fear. / Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing......Only I will remain."
-Litany Against Fear

Facebook | Twitter | Runkeeper | Strava
Shukar Still Isn't Lion

Well, you're off to a great start by joining the gym AND quitting smoking.  Remember that what you eat is about 80% of your fitness.  A 6-pack is impossible without a serious loss of fat - you may have great muscles but they'll be covered up with fat!  Click on the NERD FITNESS tab/free resources and check out the guide to healthy eating.  Congrats on the upcoming nuptuals. 

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

If you're into RP, then check out the challenge guilds and the Real LIfe role Playing articles, they might give you some guidelines on how to track your progress.  Welcome to the rebellion.  Also, you may want to check out hundredpushups.com on how to get to 100 pushups.  For the six pack, everybody has one, they are just hidden by bodyfat.  Reduce bodyfat to see the abs you have always have.  Good Luck and welcome to the rebellion.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath