Theanne Is Grinding Levels For A Sexy Assassin

It turns out I'm quite awful at keeping up with forums consistently. But I'm back until further notice, with a mission and a vengeance.

EDIT 1/5/2014: Still bad at keeping up with forums. But, I'm back again. Original early 2013 post in the spoiler, but for current 2014 nonsense, start here.

Introducing my mission: To get a six-pack by May 21st, 2013. That is my birthday. Yes, what I'm saying is that I want a six-pack for my birthday... or at the very least - an acceptable, healthy girl version of one. 

Here's the sitch.

• Female
  • 5'7"
  • 166lbs

I'm not set on hitting a specific target weight as far as the scale is concerned, but I'm pretty sure my six-pack weight will be around 140lbs, if all I'm doing is losing fat. I lost 20lbs on here last year, so my goal is to lose about another ~20lbs of fat on here over the next several months.

I recently did the Super Spartan in Temecula, California, and it made me feel awesome... yet also showed me I have a long way to go as far as my overall abilities are concerned. 

HOW WILL I DO IT?

Good question. 

Sprinting: 1 mile, 5 days per week. Goal is just to get through it as fast as possible. 

Bodyweight Workouts:

Keeping it simple.

• Pushups: Can do inclines but will also practice by snaking (down normal, up on knees)
  • Squats
  • Body rows: Need to find an easy-to-access location for this
  • Box jumps: ^ Same deal.
  • Lunges
  • Star jumps
  • Burpees

I'm not sure how I want to program it from here though - do all of them 4-6 days together, or put together 2-3 combinations of the above and rotate through those 4-6 days of the week. And from there it's a question of whether to set times, repetitions, or max out for several rounds of each set. 

Shooting for 15-30 minute workouts.

I have some other fun ideas for what to incorporate but right now I just need to focus on making training a habit. Also: I want to call my work training, not exercising. Exercising sucks. Training is badass. 

Cold showers:

Inspired by Joel Runyon. I've done these before and they were mostly good for my mental stamina and giving me that "EFF YEAH I AM DOING THIS" wake up call. Not sure if it scientifically effected my weight loss.

I want to 100% switch over, and I'm deciding whether to do it cold turkey (ha, ha) or gradually make the move. 

Diet: 

I've got all the know-how basics in my head, but for the beginning of this I don't want to bite off more than I can chew. (I'm on a roll with these... pass the butter.)

I've discovered if I try to tackle both exercise and diet at the same time, I do neither. Towards the end I will be doing meat and veggies only, but in the meantime I'll just try to eat better portions of whatever I'm eating. 

Accountability: 

You guys. Specifically, I'm threatening Loren to make sure I'm staying on track. 

I'll be sharing progress photos regularly, mostly for my own motivation as I see improvement, but also to shame myself if I'm not keeping up to the task at hand. 

Anxious, but ambitious! Current challenge: Undermining the Conspiracy

Find me on Twitter or maybe Instagram

Here's some extended thoughts on how I might program this: 

Monday

Morning: Sprint 1 mile

Afternoon: Heavy bucket carry 2x

Tuesday

Afternoon: Bodyweight routine

Wednesday

Afternoon: Bodyweight routine

Thursday

Afternoon: Walk or hike 2+ miles with weighted vest

Friday

Afternoon: Heavy bucket carry 2x

Saturday

Morning: Bodyweight routine

Sunday

Rest

Day 1: Grinding Levels

If this were any other day than the beginning of my training, I don't think I would have done anything at all today.

As an initiation to my training, I decided to do a short run, and take a freezing cold shower. I have just returned from doing so...

Running Report: I ran most of the way without stopping, and though I didn't measure it strictly I believe it was about .92-.95 mile. I huffed and puffed most of the way, but was impressed by my stamina, as I only did 3 short stretches of walking when breathing got too hard. 

(I'm not a great runner. My goal is to be able to sprint out a mile run like it's nothing. Right now it's mostly a jog with the occasional brisk walk.)

Shower Report: I started it at full cold and never shifted the knob. Most of the shower I just stuck my limbs under the water and splashed water on the rest of me. I somehow managed to suds and rinse everything off. By the end I could almost get under the stream with most of my body, but it was pretty miserable. 

Photo Report:

I forgot to do a real weigh-in and take this photo before eating this morning. This is post-breakfast, post-snack, post-run, post-shower. 

11e3aaae-9041-4505-b7d0-b636c2ef8fbc_zps

Yoohoo!

I'll be keeping my eye on you!

Also, cold showers work. You're gonna hate them at first, but then you'll see, no matter what happens throughout your day, it won't make you feel as miserable as when you first stepped under those stinging cold water droplets. After that experience so early in the morning, anything feels easier to accomplish. Also, if you were in anyway tired/sleepy/lazy, it will wake you up fast. xD

Adventurer | Level 1

CON: 0 | STR: 0 | STA: 0 | DEX: 0 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 0

On Hiatus

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life — It goes on" -- Robert Frost

Yoohoo!

I'll be keeping my eye on you!

Also, cold showers work. You're gonna hate them at first, but then you'll see, no matter what happens throughout your day, it won't make you feel as miserable as when you first stepped under those stinging cold water droplets. After that experience so early in the morning, anything feels easier to accomplish. Also, if you were in anyway tired/sleepy/lazy, it will wake you up fast. xD

Thanks!! Yeah, I'll be reporting back on how they're going :)

Do you still do them?

I don't do them anymore, because I've gotten used to waking up early. Now I automatically stay awake once the sun shines. I never would have thought that I would say that one day, but it's true and it is thanks to them cold morning showers that kept me up by scaring my body awake every morning. xD

Still, If I ever do need to refreshen myself for whatever reason, taking a cold shower usually jolts me out of any and all lazy moods, so keep it up. I'd say after week 5, you'll start looking forward to them. xD

Adventurer | Level 1

On Hiatus

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life — It goes on" -- Robert Frost

Day 3 — Yesterday: Did my run (about the same as the first one), and took another cold shower. The cold shower was still miserable, but I got "accustomed" to the water faster.

I don't do them anymore, because I've gotten used to waking up early. Now I automatically stay awake once the sun shines. I never would have thought that I would say that one day, but it's true and it is thanks to them cold morning showers that kept me up by scaring my body awake every morning. xD

Still, If I ever do need to refreshen myself for whatever reason, taking a cold shower usually jolts me out of any and all lazy moods, so keep it up. I'd say after week 5, you'll start looking forward to them. xD

Ha! Week 5. Oy. I wish it was easier to get used to :P

Day 5: Small but steep hill springs x4, cold shower

Day 6 (today): Same run as I've been doing, brought Rachel along with me. We made the mistake of going right after eating, so it felt worse than usual. Today's cold shower was much more successful in terms of being able to stand directly under the stream sooner and longer. 

Today, I'm researching for the upcoming 6-week challenge, where I'll be incorporating my goals here. 

Since abs are made in the kitchen, that means I need to really focus on what I'm eating. Here's what I've discovered (largely for my own purposes, but you may like to see how I came to these results!) 

I'm following Steve's posts on calculating calorie intake. The first one is here and they all link together.

First things first - what do I need to maintain? 

BMR: 1576.1

Maintenance calories: 2,167 daily

My goal will be to lose 1% of my body fat every week (almost 10lbs by the end of the challenge). That's about 1.6 pounds, or a 5,810 calorie deficit per week.

Dividing that calorie deficit into daily measures, that's a 830 calorie deficit per day.

Fat loss calories: 1,337 daily

What I need to watch is how serious I get with my training. If I am able to kick it up a notch and actually train most days of the week as opposed to occasional sprints and 2-3 bodyweight workouts a week, I will need to reevaluate and adjust these measurements for a higher intake. 

Daily Macronutrient Goals

250g protein (996 calories)

~50g carbs (~200 calories)

Meeting these macronutrients is going to be where I struggle.

I have the hardest time measuring everything out when I go to eat, so I'm not sure I'll be able to hit everything 100% dead on, but these are going to be the calories and macronutrients I'm aiming for. Hopefully I can successfully plan out actual meals ahead of time that I can eat over and over again to meet these ratios. 

Thoughts? Questions? Concerns?

I'm researching how to feed myself for this sort of diet, and I've come to the conclusion that it's quite difficult. 

Here's one meal I know I'm going to have to eat about 2x every day: 

Chicken Salad

• 5oz chicken
  • Romaine lettuce
  • Assorted veggies (typically bell peppers and onions)
  • Avocado
  • Olive oil (1/2 tablespoon)
  • Seasonings

Approximate nutrient values:

400-420 calories

45g protein

~15g carbs

Edit: Also bookmarking this steamed egg recipe for my future reference. (Thanks to friends in the NF chat.)

Hey! Are you joining the 6-week challenge? Link?

Nice to see all is going well.

Also. That steamed egg recipe looks delicious.

Tomorrow I'll be home all day, so I'm going to try that recipe out!

Adventurer | Level 1

On Hiatus

I'm going to resurrect this as a place to talk about the things I'm doing in an attempt to rekindle my health efforts. 

Because, holy shenanigans this is all so embarrassing. 

QUICK RECAP: 2013 seemed to be a hibernate and reset and try just to make it through sort of year. I managed not to gain like a gazillion pounds and *mostly* maintain where I was at. 

NEW GOALS: Not stress about fitness and health, but slowly take steps to (affordable) healthier habits. I'm not in a place where I'll keep up with meticulously tracking food or anything, but I'm in a place to start making better choices. And to discuss those choices here.

--

My situation: I'm super broke right now. I am only sort of working part of the time and honestly feel lucky when I make rent. Until just the last week or so I've really been living on ramen (aside from when my friends feed me). My mom did fly me home for the holidays where I feasted like fat, fat king for a week. 

Changes I've made over the past week: 

Since I still have to think 'super cheap', I am trying to transition to rice and lentils rather than ramen noodles and bread. I happen to know I operate a hundred times better on a gluten-free or low gluten diet. Still being high carb may still not optimal for overall health, but it's a hundred times better than what I've been eating.

I've been throwing cooked up carrots, broccoli and onions into my fried rice. Rice fried in olive oil!

I've been using almond milk rather than cow milk wherever I'd be using it (just trying this splurge recently, we'll see how long I can keep it up). Actually more because I like the flavor a lot better but also I think it helps me hit nutrients I have been missing.

I usually eat 2-4 eggs a day. Or more.

I'm also trying a thing where I buy a $7 rotisserie chicken and tear it all up to eat through the week because I end up letting chicken go bad because I'm too lazy to also be cooking that with whatever else. 

I still have a few packages of ramen left that I will inevitably eat, because I can't afford not to stretch what I have. I don't eat the packet that comes in it, I usually just cook up the noodles and throw an egg into it. 

I imagine almond milk and chicken will come and go as I can afford it, but rice and lentils are going continue to be a staple. I find lentils not as fun to eat, so until I'm used to them I tend to favor rice. 

As far as exercise goes, I usually go dancing for 3-4 hours a couple times a week. It's not all strenuous but it definitely gets me moving! And I'm rarely drinking while I'm out, because I can't afford it. 

NOTE: This thread will probably be very low key and not very exciting, so I'm really just using it as kind of a personal tool/journal to keep moderate track of what I'm doing and how things are going. 

Things I've already noticed: 

I've noticed that I feel a hell of a lot better over the last week as I've been changing up my diet. My brain doesn't feel foggy or as slowed down like I've been feeling. 

The Bad: I've been eating ramen at like 3am/4am in the morning after being out and pretty much eating nothing all day. 

The Good: I'm almost out of ramen. 

Which means I'll be restocking up on rice, and maybe grab myself some plain oatmeal. I'm almost out of the prepackaged instant stuff my friend bought me a little while ago. 

Also, today's lunch is chicken, carrots, lentils!

IMAG2060_zpsb7853933.jpg