• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hey guys, I wanted to tap into the collective Assassin Brain here and ask for your input. 

I'm planning on building an iPhone app [eventually android too] for parkour workouts. It's going to be free, and I'm hoping really fun. I havn't even built my first iphone app yet, so this is a ways off [although this is what I am planning to do for work eventually]. But I'm in the planning stage, and I've always found that having a fun project makes learning a new programming language a lot faster. 

I really like the format of the Gain Fitness app as far as the way it walks you through it, and for customizing your workout plan, but I wanted to build something parkour-specific, similar to the WOD from APK. I was also toying with the idea of making some sort of storyline aspect like Zombies, Run. [but obviously not zombies, becuase that is already taken.] 

So my question is this: What would YOU like to see as a feature of an iPhone parkour app?

in addition to workouts, something like a mapping feature for user-imputed jam sites?

I'm open to any ideas, i'm in the brainstorming phase! 

I haven't started Parkour yet, but I have been planning on trying it out this spring. Right now I've been reading as much as possible and watching videos etc. so I don't really have much input on what an app about it should have however I would be really super excited to see a Parkour app out there! 

Awesome!! At least I know I have one potential person who will enjoy it haha. Speaking of videos, I was planning on a section of videos that explains each move, that way you can watch them and know what to do when the workout part say "20 steps quadrapedal movement" or whatever. This will make the download pretty big, but I think it's pretty essential [especially for newbies]. I'm trying to make it an app that introduces parkour, trains newcomers, and also offers much more challenging levels for practicing traceurs. Maybe making the videos a downloaded "training pack" add-on for smaller download? 

[again, all of it will be free, including any add-ons. I want to make it as accessible to as many people as possible.]

So I worked with some parkour friends of mine and came up with this as a workout program to be integrated into the app:

Workouts

Every 4th day is a rest day, light balance work after a warm up [warm up not posted here], every day followed by cooldown, stretching and mobility work.

So IE the person would work through level one, and if it was easy by they end, month two they'd start at level two in the app. If not, they'd have the option of returning to level 1. 

Does anything look wonky? 

This sounds like a neat idea!

Are you trying to build something for beginners who are already fit, or something like a "couch to parkour" program? If the first, the exercises are probably fine at level one. If the second, those exercises are probably too advanced.

Personally, I'm starting from the couch, and I cannot do a single pull up yet. I worked on it during the last 6 week challenge (my first), and I can only do one if I have about 70% of my bodyweight set on the assisted pull up machine.

I have exercise induced asthma, too, so I'll need to improve my lung capacity, too. I'm looking into ways to get that done, but intervals are most likely at this point.

As far as "not-so-zombie" runs, what about something like Reavers or killer clowns? I'd run from either of those, even if it meant a 100% chance of an asthma attack.

OMG REAVERS!!!!!! I never thought of that!!! Although now that i'm all excited, I think there's probably a copyright on reavers. 

*shivers* reavers give me the willies. I'd totally sprint the heck out if that was chasing me haha. I'm going to look into that. I wonder if the copyright ran out. 

I was hoping to make a pretty well-rounded app, that would work up like a couch-to-parkour program to start with, and then have an advanced section for those who are fit and are looking to hone skills. Do you think body weight rows would be a better level one exercise than pull-up negatives?

3 minutes ago, FoulerHorizon40 said:

Hey I just stumbled upon this and I am very interested, are you still working on this or is it done?

haha!! Wow, zombie thread back from the dead! 

I don't even remember what happened to my plan!! 

But now that you've reminded me of it, by golly I want this app. It's such a bummer that the spreadsheet is missing? I don't even remember what I put on it. 

I never even learned iPhone programming tbh but it's still on my bucket list. However, I actually know some developer friends now (that I didn't know when I first made this post) who may be interested in colaborating. 

Ugh, I'm so torqued that I dropped this project? What happened to me. 

But hey, if you have any fresh imput on what could go into the app, I'm all ears!! I should start a new spreadsheet.

Hi, I just got interested in parkour and I’m thinking of a storyline that may be interesting? (This is just a base so it probably won’t be good yet). So, you wake up after a bunch of years and you’re like this really cool person and stuff. You’re basically a god at parkour but you’ve forgotten everything and you’re muscles have gone. You find this digital journal maybe and every day there’s a new page that re-teaches you how to do different parkour skills and it gives you different exercises to do to build your muscles back up. It’s interactive so you can say when you’ve successfully done everything for that day. (I lied this isn’t really a storyline but it could be the base for teaching the people how to do the stuff). Let me know what you think and maybe a possibility for an actual storyline?

2 minutes ago, FoulerHorizon40 said:

Hi, I just got interested in parkour and I’m thinking of a storyline that may be interesting? (This is just a base so it probably won’t be good yet). So, you wake up after a bunch of years and you’re like this really cool person and stuff. You’re basically a god at parkour but you’ve forgotten everything and you’re muscles have gone. You find this digital journal maybe and every day there’s a new page that re-teaches you how to do different parkour skills and it gives you different exercises to do to build your muscles back up. It’s interactive so you can say when you’ve successfully done everything for that day. (I lied this isn’t really a storyline but it could be the base for teaching the people how to do the stuff). Let me know what you think and maybe a possibility for an actual storyline?

WHAT no this could actually be a really cool story line! 

I'm thinking something like: You wake up with memory loss, and you find your digital journal to yourself that you have to re-train in order to fight some boss battle

OR this might be even more fun:

you've got memory loss and you wake up on this mountain and you've got this parkour guru guy trying to re-train you to be some sort of special messenger or spy or something that has to do parkour through the forrest and through cities, and you used to be the best at it and your specific skills are needed for something but, you know, your memory loss/you've been in a coma so you've lost muscle mass ect... and each page is your new WOD from your guru guy and you slowly learn more backstory about like, what happened to you and the situation in the world around you in little tidbits

• Like 1

That sounds perfect! Maybe the world is going to shit and you were put into that coma because the government knew that they would need you and that person re-teaching you was hired to help you save the world. There could also be this organization that’s trying to stop you and they could chase you or something. That’s where you could use the skills you learn to run away. We need to find the way we’re going to save the world tho.