Numbers Are Pretty (Rob's Battle Log)

Blah. Fitocracy sucks for long term tracking purposes. It's a good thing I kept duplicates... But I would like to stop finding scraps of paper all over the house with workouts scribbled all over them, so here they are.

Bill Starr 5x5 (aka linear madcow)

Monday: Squats, Bench Press, Rows

Wednesday: Front Squats, Overhead Press, Deadlift

Friday: Squats, Bench Press, Rows

The following accessory work is also scheduled in:

Monday: Weighted Situps, Weighted Hypers

Wednesday: Chinups

Friday: Barbell Extensions

Got it? Good! Cause here we go!

There is no signature here.

Monday February 11, 2013 - Deload week 1

The Main Lifts

Squats

3x5x45

5x140

5x170

5x200

5x230

5x260 - HOLY HELL. My thighs felt crunchy and these were diffiçile! Form was a LOT better today, but hell did it take tons of focus.

Bench Press

5x85 

5x98 - Up to here, I felt like I was going to punch through the ceiling.

5x115

5x128

5x143 - Considering I was stuck here at the beginning of the last cycle, this was really freaking easy.

Barbell Bent Over Row

5x80

5x95

5x110

5x125

5x140

- Easy peasy breezy all 25 reps of them.

Accessorize

Weighted Situps

4x8x20

Weighted Hypers

8xunweighted

3x8x10

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 - Deload Week 1

I tweaked my knee earlier today, so let's see how shit goes...

The Main Lifts

Front Squats

3x5x45

5x55

5x60

5x65

2x5x70

My knee felt fine :D

I'm totally going to have to start watching a decent front squat tutorial a bunch of times, my form felt all sorts of shaky today. 

Overhead Press

5x65

5x75

5x85

5x95

These felt fine. Light almost, even.

3x10x58

• That was some heavy shoulder volume today. I'm not sure how long it'll be sustainable. I expect to be sore as shite later. 60% top set for 10 reps, 30-60s rest in between. Explosive push, and a slower return.
  • Man does it take forever to count to 10.

Deadlift

5x150

5x180

5x210

5x240

Soooo, I probably shouldn't have done these today because of the knee tweaking, but I did them because it's been forever!, and the first 3 sets felt pretty easy. During the last set, there was a bit of a pulling sensation at the hamstring insertion point behind my kneecap. There was no pain with it, just the weird pulling feeling. Mild to moderate discomfort, so lets call the tweak a low-grade pulled muscle that I just now exacerbated! :D

In case you didn't realize, the :D was totally sarcastic. 

Accessorize Those Lifts!

Chinups

These felt good. My forearms felt blasted at the end because I was choking out those last few reps in each of the last two sets.

Hahaha. If only we could sarcastically smile with emoticons.. Ok not funny after that point. Sorry to hear about your knee. I recommend next lifting session if you decide to try your knees out with more squats, try one or two with low weight if you feel it don't go much higher if at all. Sometimes patience is key for the long run. 

Glad to hear you're doing ELECT reps on shoulder press. Feel the burn!! Ice that knee even if it doesn't hurt! I was icing my calves all the time with shin splints even on non-workout days to help. 

Warrior in Training - I squat, therefore I am TestChallenges Feb-March | Log | PvP one | Old Challenges three, fourfive, six

Social. MFP | Fitocracy

Monday February 18, 2013 - Deload Week 2

I had planned on repeating deload week 1, but I decided to say "fuck it". I've nailed all these lifts before multiple times, so I know I could do it again and just kept on going even though my deload week 1 broke down. 

The Main Lifts

Squats

3x5x45 <~~These felt great today. I think I've figured out how to work them for maximal hip opening

5x145

5x175

5x205

5x235

5x265

My form felt a lot smoother on these today. I made sure to take the long rests as necessary because all my stabilizers were feeling a little more burning than usual, since I was actually using them properly. My hips felt a hell of a lot less junky today on the brighter side. There's a very deep pain cave that's ripe for exploration in and around the right hip that I'm working through (glute insertions?).

Bench Press

5x85

5x100

5x115

5x130

5x145

Barbell Bent Over Row

5x83

5x98

5x113

5x128

5x143

I kept things elevated a bit today again. I'm going to have to start lowering things to the floor on the top set where I've got the big plates on. I'll put it up on plates and then just remove a plate weekly...

Accessorize

Weighted Situps

4x8x22.5

Weighted Hypers

4x8x12.5

It amazes me how much my low back burns after the last set of these. Goes away pretty quick though...

Glad to hear you're doing ELECT reps on shoulder press. Feel the burn!! Ice that knee even if it doesn't hurt! I was icing my calves all the time with shin splints even on non-workout days to help.

Oh man the burn. I'm pretty sure I was feeling the intense fatigue still through my bench today. I should hopefully be adjusted a bit better to the extra volume by the end of the 4 week reloading period. I elected this method over pushing 1 or 2 sets with 1 or 2 reps at a bit of a higher weight because I discovered that I'm not actually able to push up another rep or two at a higher weight on a lot of days. I'm pretty much toasted and waiting longer than 5 minutes seems like a waste of time, but with 5 minutes, pushing up those 3 sets of 10 seemed reasonable, ergo...

We'll see what happens over the next few weeks of tracking. Depending on the impact to my other lifts will depend on what happens to the ELECT sets. I have tons of wiggle room to add more or take away sets from it depending on the fatigue I feel and how my shoulders feel while benching, rowing and chinning up...

Upper body recovers pretty fast! I Glad you pressed through on this day and made some gains.. seems like you've made a much needed notice and that's some weeks are just going to be great and we go for it! :D Time is important and I have found that too. I have an excel sheet for my current program and I got 10% higher amount of a 1RM based on number of reps and such just by resting a little more. Nothing crazy.. just a little more. Pretty wild! 

I've actually been trying to find the right accessory exercises based on the lift. I think ELECT and extra sets of volume helps with upper body and I'm not sure about lower yet. I feel that's more of flexibility and technique right now for me. I've been subbing in some front squats for accessory work. We will see what happens.. :o You're doing great on your current regiment!

Warrior in Training - I squat, therefore I am TestChallenges Feb-March | Log | PvP one | Old Challenges three, fourfive, six

Social. MFP | Fitocracy

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 - Deload Week 2

The Main Lifts

Front Squats

3x5x45

5x60

5x70

5x80

5x90

Form felt significantly better on these today. I was way less rocky, things were tight. My knee probably did have some impact on my stability last week...

Overhead Press

5x68

5x78

5x88

5x98

Again, there was no problem with these. The really light front squats probably help...

3x10x60

Burn burn burn feel the burn burn burn feel the burn burn burn... 10 gets further away the more times you have to count to it...

Deadlift

5x160

5x190

5x220

5x250

I think maybe I should be wrapping me knee? It still felt a little slippery today when I was deadlifting. I didn't get any pain, but I could feel the strain and some compensation...

Accessorize Those Lifts

Chinups

Dips

Friday February 22, 2013 - Deload Week 2

The Main Lifts

Squats

3x5x45

5x145

5x175

5x205

5x235

3x270

8x205

Bench Press

5x85

5x100

5x115

5x130

3x148

8x115

Barbell Bent Over Row

5x83

5x98

5x113

5x128

3x145

8x113

Accessorize Those Lifts (Douchebro Edition)

Barbell Curls

8x55

8x55

8x55

These are less douchey if not done in front of a mirror, amirite? It feels as though this is correct...

Lying Triceps Extension

8x55

8x55

8x55

Look! Pretty much no comments on any of my lifts today! Today was good =D

These are less douchey if not done in front of a mirror, amirite? It feels as though this is correct...

Look! Pretty much no comments on any of my lifts today! Today was good =D

Haha.. Only if you're commenting and saying "What's up girl?! What's up?" 

That's good bro! Definitely not all sessions will be great sessions, but there should be some good ones in there congrats brother! Good work on bench and squat

Social. MFP | Fitocracy

Saturday February 23, 2013 - Oly Day

Put on that 'O' Face

Snatch Balance

5x45

5x45

3x55

3x65

2x75*

1x75**

*Failed the first two, nailed the last two

**Tried for two, missed the second

How do I miss, you ask? It's called a snatch balance. Exactly.

Snatch

2x55 <~~ shaky. Barely landed them. Barely.

2x55 <~~ Better. Much, much better.

3x55 <~~ Nailed it.

3x65

3x70

2x75

2x80

1x85

1x90 FAIL <~~Missed. Twice.

These are fun. Like really fun.

Clean and Jerk

3x55 <~~ The first one wasn't pretty. At all. It was a cross between a snatch and a clean..I wanna call this a double...

3x55

2x65

2x70

2x75

2x80

1x85

1x90

These felt a loooot smoother than the snatching did. But I've also used power cleans before, so it was just a matter of going down into a full squat at the catch.

I know I've said I wanted to try out the olympic lifts this cycle, but I don't think I mentioned it up top as a reminder. Saturdays are oly days! I mean, they're totally optional, but odds are, they won't be getting super heavy considering how shaky I feel at even these light weights. It's more for the practice of form and drilling the techniques than to add significant tonnage. That said, these weights are challenging enough right now that it's still a pretty intense workout... el oh el.

Haha.. Only if you're commenting and saying "What's up girl?! What's up?" 

That's good bro! Definitely not all sessions will be great sessions, but there should be some good ones in there congrats brother! Good work on bench and squat

Great sessions are reserved for those wherein I PR... Everything else caps out at good ;)

Monday February 25, 2013 - Reload Week 1

The Main Lifts

Squats

3x5x45

5x150

5x180

5x210

5x240

5x270

Bench Press

5x88

5x103

5x118

5x133

5x148

Barbell Bent Over Row

5x85

5x100

5x115

5x130

5x145

Accessorize Those Lifts

Weighted Situps

4x8x25

Weighted Hypers

4x8x15

So, last week was the first full week I ran this cycle including the oly lifts so today was the first workout where I could determine whether or not the oly Saturday would interfere with my actual program. At this time, I don't think it will. There was a little extra effort required for the top sets today, but I was also super sleep deprived, undercaffeinated, and probably way less fed from the last time I had to lift those particular weights. I decided to give my stomach a bit of a break from big eating to recover from all those big heavy meals I was eating, especially towards the end of the challenge.

With that said, things are going to pick up business wise with the workouts too because of little challenge based extras like the PLP and the plankathon, so I reserve the right to change my opinion on this later. Lol. If the lift schedule doesn't require any tweaking, my next cycle I'm going to run on infinity mode and just reset things on a lift-by-lift basis rather than the program as a whole. I'll probably able to push more PR weeks with Squats than I would the Bench, lets say, and I don't want to lose those weeks of progress I could have been making by resetting them because it takes a month to build back up....

I completely understand the not wanting to reset on all lifts! I find it one of the oddest things about programming. Why must all my lifts conform to the same cycle? Eventually I will do exactly the switch up. So far I've been good at keeping them all similar and it isn't exactly forced, but depends on my starting weight. 

I'd say with your interference from olympic lifting.. I don't think it'll be much of a problem aside from heavy weeks! When you go ultra heavy it may become bothersome. Since you're already programming everything, I'm sure you'll figure it out. Excited to see progress on the lifts!

Social. MFP | Fitocracy

I had this big long post, and the internet ate it. Fucker. Anyhooter.

Man I love the snatch. The precise combination of explosiveness, strength and balance required are a thing of sheer beauty. I was really into the power lifting until I got a feel for the snatch, and now my loyalties are torn between the power lifts and the olympic lifts. Lol.

In the notes for my program, it says to run it on infinity mode as the preferred method of execution and only to do a full reset if you're failing on a bunch of lifts simultaneously. I wanted to do one vanilla run to see how the program ran, and then I reset and tinkered, and now I'm testing this out until I flatline and compare notes. Lol. I don't think it's going to take much in the way of tinkering.

Walk The Plank: 3:00

PLP: 10 Pushups, Lunges (per leg), Pullups

The pullups for the PLP were split down the middle to 5 pullups and 5 chinups.

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 - Reload Week 1

The Main Lifts

Front Squats

3x5x45

5x65

5x80

5x90

5x100

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAHPxIAf3RQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jPH2oBCxjs

I thought I'd put them here too...

Overhead Press

5x70

5x80

5x90

5x100

Not terribly difficile.

3x10x60

These were a lot easier than last week also. Maybe cause I did this weight already? Lol. oops.

Deadlift

5x170

5x200

My knee is still pulling, and now earlier. I'm just going to stop these until further notice. :/    

Accessorize Those Lifts

NONE!

I'm removing these two arbitrary "lifts" from Wednesday as I'm doing pushups and pullups every. single. day. Note: This was always the plan for when the challenge actually started. Officially, I'm supposed to do more situps here, but I'm doing planks daily also...

Friday, March 1, 2013 - Reload Week 1

The Main Lifts

Squats

3x5x45

5x150

5x180

5x210

5x240

3x280

8x210

Bench Press

5x88

5x103

5x115

5x133

3x150

8x118

Barbell Bent Over Row

5x85

5x100

5x115

5x130

3x148

8x115

Accessorize Those Lifts (Douchebro Edition)

Barbell Curls

8x60

8x60

8x60

And then I just stopped. I'm hella tired. Eff extensions.