Sacramento, CA - Novice Workouts

Hey Rebels,

I live in Sacramento, CA. I'm about to join the Crunch Fitness gym.  I was wondering if there are any novice, beginner, and even advanced exercisers who believe in free weights and are looking for somebody to work out with?

A little about me:

Name:  Jerome

Height: 6'0"

Weight: 260 lbs (Goal weight: 230 lbs)

Goal: Taking it one step at a time. Want to be 30 lbs lighter by June 2013 and be in better shape for Taekwondo. Then set a new goal after the first 30 is gone.

Steps I'm taking to get there:

1) DIET: Slowly but surely looking to convert to Paleo. Will be seeing a Nutritionist this Thursday to be put on a program.    And I plan on buying Paleo recipe books. Reason I'm going this route: belly fat is my main issue and I feel that starchy carbs, as well as my sugar addiction are the reasons why it hasn't disappeared.

2) EXERCISE: 

a) Free weights:  Build strength, stamina and to ensure I use the correct form for getting in shape. Purpose: To build muscle.

B) Running: Cardio purposes and for endurance.  Purpose: To burn fat and because I love running.

Doing both of these should help me accomplish my goals in learning the art of Moo Duk Kwan Taekwondo.

To be specific: I'm looking for workout partners for the purpose of motivation and hopefully to establish a brotherhood. Like Steve says, it takes a team to help accomplish goals.

Novices: We can help each other as iron sharpens iron.

Experts: I can learn from you so I can get better.

So if you're looking for somebody that you can either teach, or train with, I'm game!

One Love NF

Keep it real, or keep it moving! 

Heya! I'm from Sacramento too. Woooo.

I've been doing free weights since about October, doing the Stronglifts program. I also do cardio about 6 times a week (3 of which I also do strength traiing in the morning).

Your nutritionist will probably trip out about the "no grains" stuff. But yes, Paleo is the BEST way to lose weight. I've been Paleo since 7/1/12. I do have one cheat day when I eat what I want.

If you don't mind me asking, where the heck is Crunch Fitness Gym? Elk Grove? I also plan to get into some sort of combat sport, either Jiu Jitsu or Maui Thai. I'm not sure yet. I still have about 20 lbs to go before I'll be confident enough to go work out in a mostly dude gym.

Anyways, welcome to the rebellion. :)

Level 3 - Half-Elf Warrior, STR - 5 | DEX - 1 | STA - 6 | CON - 5.5 | WIS - 3.5 | CHA - 5

I know where I'm going, and I know the truth, and I don't have to be what you want me to be. I'm free to be what I want. ~  Ali

Previous Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Hey all! 

There seem to be a  lot of us from Sacramento, and I remember talking about a meetup a few months ago.

How about we shoot for next week!?! Does Wednesday the 27th sound good? I get off work around 5:00, and I'm available any time after that. We can meet somewhere in Midtown for dinner and hang out. I've never been, but Luna's Cafe is supposed to be healthy and tasty (trying to fight against my inclination to meet at a pub).

It's on 16th ST and N. Here is the website: http://lunascafe.com/ 

Let me know if you're interested or if a different day would work better. 

Cheers!

Half-Dragon Ranger

Level 4 

Total: Str: 6.75 Dex: 6.75 Sta: 7.5 Con: 4 Wis: 5 Cha: 7.5

~ Here be Dragons ~

FyreFlies, Crunch Fitness is on Howe Ave in Sacramento. In the same shopping center as Old Navy. Thank you for the warm welcome! I'm more into Traditional Martial Arts, but I love watching the sport style as well. I'm always watching UFC!

Dragnmistris, I have Bible study on Wednesday nights, so I'm thinking another night maybe better.

Hello there, fellow Sacramento rebels! I'm not as active on the boards as I used to be, but that's mostly because I train with my weightlifting team 6 days a week, work full time, and try to give my partner and cats attention in between. I still consider myself a proud rebel!

A little about me:

I'm a competetive weightlifter with the Midtown Barbell Club. We train at Midtown Strength & Conditioning on 3rd and T. I have been on the team since September 2012, and have been making pretty big gains on my lifts. I recently got a 100kg/220lb clean & jerk and a 75kg/165lb snatch. I also recently front squatted 137kg/302lb, and back squatted 150kg/330lb for a set of five.

I have lofty goals, one of which is to make it to the 2016 Olympics. At 30, I know this is a far stretch, but I also know I'm pretty dang strong, and can do whatever I put my mind to. If you are interested in my journey, I'm trying to post weekly on my blog. Although, I'm a little behind already! OOPS!

We are hosting the NorCal Open at our gym on May 4. Please feel free to come out and see some amazing lifters!

As for a meet up, week day evenings won't work for me because of practice. But, I'll keep my eyes open for something I can make. It would be great to meet some local rebels!

90+ Masters Weightlifter

Current Lift PRs
Snatch: 93kg/205lb // Clean and Jerk: 113kg/248lb // Back Squat: 170kg/375lb

Spoiler

2016 USAW Senior Nationals - 6th place

2015 USAW American Open - 8th place
2015 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place
2014 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place

2013 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place

Instagram - MyFitnessPal

Hi Guys! I'd LOVE to meet you guys. Especially you Angela - so I can pick your brain on lifting.

Weekday evenings is a little tough on me too - as I'm usually training like a mad woman. Totally can do Sunday, March 3rd. Lunch, dinner and all between will work.

Where's RedWriter? He's a Sacramentan too.. let's get him to go too! =)

Level 3 - Half-Elf Warrior, STR - 5 | DEX - 1 | STA - 6 | CON - 5.5 | WIS - 3.5 | CHA - 5

I know where I'm going, and I know the truth, and I don't have to be what you want me to be. I'm free to be what I want. ~  Ali

The Red Writer is actually my husband :) We'd both be there. 

Ok let set the date then!!! Sunday March 3rd at 12:30. 

How does http://lunascafe.com sound? Again, I've never been but it looked healthy. 

See you then!

They are closed on Sundays... :-/

90+ Masters Weightlifter

Current Lift PRs

Spoiler

Instagram - MyFitnessPal

Especially you Angela - so I can pick your brain on lifting.

Not gonna lie. You'll get a lot of *shrug* "I just do what my coach tells me to do." LOL!!

90+ Masters Weightlifter

Current Lift PRs

Spoiler

Instagram - MyFitnessPal

The Red Writer is actually my husband :) We'd both be there. 

Lol. Nice! I look forward to meeting you both. :D

Wow, that menu looks dangerous. lol. I've been to Zocalo's - it's like a Italian/Spanish fusion place. Paesano's has mostly italian food - but it's pretty good. If you guys are in the mood for Mexican, there's Ernesto's which is good.

See you guys Sunday!

I'm open for anything - I'll probably be sticking to a salad anyhow.

Their molé sauce is sooooooooooo good! Alas, I won't be able to make it this weekend. We have some family stuff happening. Have fun, guys!!

90+ Masters Weightlifter

Current Lift PRs

Spoiler

Instagram - MyFitnessPal

Aww, no worries Angela.

So are we still meeting up guys?

So far:

Me

Dragnmistris

Red Writer

Hmm.. lol. I could swear there were more Sacramentens!

Hello there - I'm in Santa Cruz. We'll be leaving in the morning, but I'm not sure I'll make it home by the time we meet up. Do you guys want to meet up or reschedule?

It's a bit late to reschedule the time or date now, but I'm fine meeting whomever is available today. From there we can see who couldn't make it and set up a different visit better suited to your schedule :)

Hello Vector! Thanks for the suggestion - I'll take a look.

For anyone else who wants to come, I'll be letting the host know we're from Nerd Fitness and expecting at least one other person. To look out for us, my husband is tall and has long blonde hair. He'll most likely be wearing a leather jacket. I'm a bit over 5' with long brown hair and a green hooded coat. 

See you in a bit!

Half-Dragon Ranger

Level 4 

Total: Str: 6.75 Dex: 6.75 Sta: 7.5 Con: 4 Wis: 5 Cha: 7.5

~ Here be Dragons ~

Hey! Sorry I couldn't meet you and your husband for lunch - I've just now returned from Santa Cruz! O_o

Damn, I feel horrible. I'm usually very reliable. It was a last minute type of thing. I'll make a new thread for another meet up.

Hey y'all,

So sorry my schedule has been hectic but I do want to meet y'all someday. But I'd thought I'd share something. When you become a new member at Crunch Fitness, you get 1 free session with a personal trainer. Well, I took advantage and he really opened my eyes to exactly what "correct form" is and also showed me how to use "technique" in my workouts. I'm now putting it in prayer for me to have the money to purchase a couple months of training from this guy. But I've had bad posture all my life, and I need somebody that's going to help me correct it, correct my form, help me with my technique, and most importantly, hold me accountable. I at least want to work with this guy until I can get somebody on here who's more experienced to be my workout partner and help me continue without me worrying about my budget. So yeah, that's the latest on me and my journey. I got taekwondo tonight. (HAAAYAAAAA!)  :playful: