I can't trust people who say...

I think he ment- just show her the "steps" to take- and for some certs- there are not many- my friend paid 5-700 for hers and it was a multi day very intensive exam.

I know two other girls who couldn't tell their ass from a hole in the ground and they managed to get one.

PT's have their role and some are really good and very earnest about their desire to help people and also to be the best trainer they can be.

Yep there are good ones, but being a personal trainer, even certified, is not much of an endorsement for diet/fitness knowledge and ability to apply it. Its a step up from "well I heard from this bro who heard it from...", but the bar is still set pretty low. 

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

That being said, my bone structure means that even when I do lose weight, I'm not small and petite, I'm more of a broad shouldered female rugby player :L I'll never look like a model because my bones aren't structured like that.

Ditto.  Except I am short and kinda square, lol.  Just call me spongebob?

Pixie Adventurer

Courage doesn't always roar.  Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Yep there are good ones, but being a personal trainer, even certified, is not much of an endorsement for diet/fitness knowledge and ability to apply it. Its a step up from "well I heard from this bro who heard it from...", but the bar is still set pretty low. 

unfortunately I have to agree with this.     I work around a lot of PT's and some of them try- and some of them are good at what they do but they don't give a shit.  Makes me sad.  They have such an opportunity to help people and they just don't care. 

The PT who did my induction at my old gym told me to stay away from free weights and to do loads of reps of small weights to get (you guessed it) 'toned'. He also said that I should focus on cardio because doing too many weights would make me massive. I zoned out. 

Level 1 SheHulk Warrior [str: 1]  [Dex : ]  [sta: ]  [Con: ]  [Wis: 1]  [Cha: ] 

Challenge 2: Project Krisptonite

LOL we only have one machine guy- most everyone else does a good job of using weights and challenging their clients.  Our master trainer has a sled and a TRX system and kettle bells.  It's nice.  There is always a lot of complaining going on in the training area- it's funny. 

unfortunately I have to agree with this.     I work around a lot of PT's and some of them try- and some of them are good at what they do but they don't give a shit.  Makes me sad.  They have such an opportunity to help people and they just don't care. 

While I prefer to train on my own or with maybe one or two more experienced people to work on form, I have to say that the gym that I go to is relatively free of this--sure, there are people doing quarter squats with eleventy billion pounds on the Smith machine, but the trainers are all required to have master's degrees in an exercise science or related field and it seems to cut down on the broscience.

The only one that I've seen using machines spent his career in the French marines.  No matter how in-shape the client I see him with is, they're always hating life (even on the machines).

Male flatemate looks at my ankles (they are very slim) and says:

"You shouldn't lift much weight at the gym. Your bones don't look strong. Me, my bones are strong so I can do it, but you should be careful".

Lol, what???

I ignored the obvious weirdness of this statement and just said:

"well, that's why I'm going to the gym and lifting - to get stronger".

Warrior Princess
Eating Psychology Coach

Adventure's Guild Challenge winner: Challenge #24

â•‘ Live the Whole  â•‘ Bucket List â•‘Level up my Lifeâ•‘ 

"Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Every day you're alive is a special occasion."

On the opposite side, if someone says "calories don't matter", I'll tune them out almost immediately.

As always, the truth lies somewhere in between: eating the right types of foods is better for one's health, and makes it much easier to manage one's weight.

This is true.  calories don't matter as much as people think they do, but  beyond a certain point they matter.  You can be eating all the right kinds of foods and just eating way to many of them. 

Level 3 Human Ranger
STR: 9 DEX: 5.25 STA: 14.5 CON: 5.5 WIS: 16 CHA: 5.5 
My Current Challenge

Male flatemate looks at my ankles (they are very slim) and says:

"You shouldn't lift much weight at the gym. Your bones don't look strong. Me, my bones are strong so I can do it, but you should be careful".

Lol, what???

I ignored the obvious weirdness of this statement and just said:

"well, that's why I'm going to the gym and lifting - to get stronger".

your bones get bigger/"Stronger" the heavier you are (so they will compensate for the muscle you build by working out) haha ignore him!! Keep It up :D

At the gym I went to I heard one of the trainers explain to a few ladies that lifting weights is good for them. And that they should take a day off in between. So far so good. Then one of them asked about getting rid of belly fat. "Ow, then you need to do many many sit ups every single day!". So I asked how belly muscles are different from other muscles that need a break of a day after working out. "They just are, I've trained for this, I know this, you just listen and learn". 

Obviously I've never ever asked for any advice from this trainer again. 

LEVEL 3 Human Scout - obsessive smiley user 

"That's the best part, the outside is new, but now it reflects what's already in you" - Legally blonde the musical

people ask me for ab advice a lot and is always l how do I get flat abs" and " can I do abs every day"

of course yoy CAN do them everyday but it's just not a good idea. I don't understand why ask the die hard isolators ( back chest shoulders types) can't understand this. it boggles my brain.

Nothing's wrong with looking good! It's the not-even-breaking-a-sweat that bugs me. Maybe it's the gym I go to, but there's a lot of people (girls especially) that just don't try. Pre/Post workout = totally acceptable to look awesome. Middle-of-workout = please be trying hard and sweating.

Some people (ie. me) just hardly sweat. I could sit in a sauna at 90C for 10 minutes and not sweat. I could run sprints and not sweat. Since I've got different medication I suddenly sweat and feel very weird about it. But if I compare myself to other people I still hardly sweat. And it's not for lack of effort. 

LEVEL 3 Human Scout - obsessive smiley user 

"That's the best part, the outside is new, but now it reflects what's already in you" - Legally blonde the musical

^^

brings up a good point.

can't be trusted >>> "I was sweating really hard- so I got a good work out in"

oh so sitting in the sauna is a good work out?  damn I've been seriously missing out on this new work out stuff- god- what was I thinking wasting all that time you know- lifting heavy things.