Kickin' Ass Katinka Style

I really needed to get back in the habit of logging my daily meal plans/exercise progress, so I thought I'd switch over to this forum from the one I used during my whole30. I finished a Whole30 on Feb 1, but since then the scale is stuck (I know, I know, the number doesn't matter), and I'm tired of my weekends turning into cheat days for stuff that isn't even worth it.

Anyway, I pretty much just want to use this thread to post my meal plans each day, current lifting routines, and other things I notice about my mind and body so I can see how everything is going. I post all of my recipes, too, for anyone who is interested.

February 18 Menu:

Meal 1: sweet potato, bacon, and apple hash

Aidell's Chicken Sausage, with mustard

Peppermint Tea

Morning Snack: Small slice of cake from the lunch room (I told you I need this log)

Meal 2: Chocolate Chili

Carrots

Green Beans

Pre-Workout: Shrimp Cocktail (5 pieces)

Meal 3: Chicken Lettuce Boats with Avo-Ziki Sauce (from Practical Paleo)

February 18 Workout:

Squats: 85, 105, 125, 145; 6 reps each

Pushups (3 sets)

Body weight rows (3 sets)

Tricep Dips (3 sets)

Bicep Curls - 45 lb bar (3 sets)

Ball Pikes (3 sets)

Plank Rows - 10 lbs (3 sets)

Good workout at the gym yesterday, and good weight on the scale this morning - 157.4 . I finished my Whole30 18 days ago at 157.0 and I've been stuck ever since - my reintroductions really threw me off, I think. I've been reading Practical Paleo (and salivating over all of the recipes), so hopefully that will give me a renewed kick in the butt with my diet. I pulled a muscle in my shoulder at the gym yesterday, so I'm hoping to take it easy tonight (a little more cardio) so I can lift well when I meet with my trainer tomorrow night.

February 19 Menu:

Meal 1: Sweet Potato, Bacon, and Apple Hash

Chocolate Chili

Meal 2: Chicken Lettuce Boats with Avo-Ziki Sauce (From Practical Paleo)

1/2 Red Pepper

Apple

Pre-Workout: Scrambled Egg

Meal 3: Lemon and Artichoke Chicken (Practical Paleo)

Candied Carrots (Practical Paleo)

Zucchini

I also usually have a protein shake each night, too - 1 scoop Designer Whey, 1 banana or some pumpkin, and a splash of coconut milk. Lately, I've also been making protein "cakes" like this recipe from amazing paleo. I have mine with a little bit of maple syrup instead of sunbutter, since I don't eat seeds or nuts.

February 19 Workout:

5 minutes running

Squat Thrusters - 15 lbs (3 sets)

Pushups (3 sets)

5 minutes running

Ball Plank - as long as possible (3 sets)

Side Plank with Dip (3 sets each side)

5 minutes running

Cable Rows - 140 lbs (3 sets)

Romanian Single Leg Lift - 20lb kettlebell (3 sets)

*sigh* I miss my hips.

I was looking in the mirror last night, and I noticed that since I've lost a lot of fat around my hips and butt, I've sort of lost the hourglass shape I had before (It was a big hourglass, but an hourglass none the less). This new shape is decidedly less feminine. It's really frustrating to have made so much progress and not be thrilled with the point I'm at now. Hopefully my waist will catch up soon.

I had a good workout yesterday, and I rocked the running intervals I threw in throughout my workout. Tonight I'm meeting with the trainer, so I don't know what I'll be doing, but it will likely kick my butt.

I had some anxiety last night, and I'm trying to figure out if it could be the dairy I had after dinner (homemade ice cream), or if it's more likely to do with some issues in my personal life right now. Either is likely, so I'll have to continue to evaluate.

February 20 Menu:

Meal 1: Roasted Squash and Pineapple (from Practical Paleo)

Chocolate Chili

Apple

Meal 2: Lemon Artichoke Chicken (Practical Paleo)

Candied Carrots

Roasted Broccoli (without cheese to keep it paleo)

Meal 3: Slow Cooker Chicken and Gravy

Brussels Sprouts

Zucchini

Meal 4: Protein Shake

Last night, I just could not get full. Since going paleo, I've been trying to serve 2 vegetables each night with dinner, since before I would serve 1 vegetable and 1 grain. Well, last night I didn't feel like cooking a second one, so I only made brussels sprouts to go with our chicken. Between the limited vegetable option, and the absence of a fat, both my husband and I still felt hungry after our meal. I made some gluten-free baked oatmeal, but I still had to eat a massive amount of that to fill up. Since the slow-cooker chicken and gravy is an absolute favorite of mine, I'm going to have to find some fat source to go along with it as well.

I had a good workout at the gym last night - moderate weight with high reps. I switched over from the assisted dips/chins machine to working with resistance bands - ugh it's so much harder! I'm thinking of buying some to use at home with my husbands pullup bar, but I'm not sure how I could modify the dips in our house.

I'm running errands after work before meeting friends at a knitting group, so I have to find dinner on the run. I'm not sure what I'm going to get (or even where I'm going to go), but I'll have a plan by the time I leave work.

As of today I've been stuck at the same weight for 3 weeks   :suspicion: . I realize this is better than gaining, but it's still so frustrating! I'm thinking of taking on a whole7 or whole14 to see if I get any noticible results from that.

February 21 Menu:

Meal 1: Roasted Squash and Pineapple (from Practical Paleo)

Chocolate Chili

Baked Oatmeal

Meal 2: Slow Cooker Chicken and Gravy

Brussels Sprouts

Apple Sauce

Meal 3: Undecided

Meal 3 last night ended up being the Chicken Cobb with Avocado salad at Panera, with a side of chips. I was pleasantly surprised at how simple the ingredients in their chips are: Potatoes, Sunflower Oil, and Sea Salt. The salad was "All-natural, antibiotic-free chicken, romaine lettuce, tomatoes, Applewood-smoked bacon, Gorgonzola, hard-boiled eggs, all chopped and tossed with herb vinaigrette, topped with fresh avocado." Between the chips and the avocado in the salad, this meal had plenty of fats, and kept me full from 4:30pm to 10pm, when I had a few bites of this morning's breakfast before heading to bed. I also indulged in 2 Ghirrardelli 60% Cocoa squares - they actually seemed a little too milky, further proving that my true love is cocoa, not chocolate.

I'm still sore from Wednesday's workout, which is awesome! Those chins and dips really wiped me out - my shoulders and triceps are burning. Tonight's workout is actually going to be at home - a Spartacus workout I found online. I'm going to download a HIIT app for my phone to help me time it.

I'm excited to start my first NerdFitness Challenge! I'm still trying to come up with all of my goals, but I'm hoping the motivation and accountability help me power through some obstacles in the coming 6 weeks.

February 22 Menu

Meal 1: Protein Cake

Baked Oatmeal (glad this is gone, now - gluten free, but still too tempting!)

Applesauce

Meal 2: Slow Cooker Chicken and Gravy

Roasted Brussels Sprouts

Snack: Egg in a cup

Meal 3: Costco Pizza (one of my goals for the 6 week challenge is quantifying my cheat meals to see their effect on my overall health)

How to cook an epic breakfast:

1. Place 3 pieces of bacon in a skillet.

2. Discover that you can, in fact, overcook bacon. Turn off fire alarm. Apologize to husband for waking him up.

3. Remove (now burnt, but oh so delicious) bacon from skillet, keeping grease in pan. Add in about 1.5 cups of shredded sweet potato. Cook until crispy.

4. Whisk 2 eggs in a bowl. Add to skillet, stir into sweet potatoes.

5. Remove from stove and add bacon back in. Add lots of salt, and enjoy your awesome Saturday morning.

So, last night I had pizza for the first time since December, and it wasn't very good at all - I ended up only having one slice. It was a Costco pizza, and I used to love their pepperoni pizzas, but at least plain cheese doesn't do it for me anymore. In another few weeks I'll probably try a slice from our local pizza place, but I'm still not expecting to be wowed.

Today's weigh in was 157.0, exactly what I weighed on February 1 (and I haven't gone below that, just up to 158.6). I put the scale in the closet - I'm trying to go back to saturday-only weigh ins for the current six week challenge.

Last night's Spartacus workout was pretty good for an at-home workout, but nothing amazing. I'll definitely keep it in mind for the future, though.

Today's exercise is Zumba this morning followed by rock climbing this afternoon - as though my triceps weren't still sore from Wednesday!

February 23 Menu

Meal 1: Bacon, Egg, and Sweet Potato Skillet

Meal 2: Still no idea. Have to go grocery shopping after Zumba.

Meal 3: Sriracha Salmon and Cauliflower with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce

http://tastefoodblog.com/2011/05/27/sriracha-baked-salmon-and-cauliflower/

How to cook an epic breakfast:

1. Place 3 pieces of bacon in a skillet.

2. Discover that you can, in fact, overcook bacon. Turn off fire alarm. Apologize to husband for waking him up.

3. Remove (now burnt, but oh so delicious) bacon from skillet, keeping grease in pan. Add in about 1.5 cups of shredded sweet potato. Cook until crispy.

4. Whisk 2 eggs in a bowl. Add to skillet, stir into sweet potatoes.

5. Remove from stove and add bacon back in. Add lots of salt, and enjoy your awesome Saturday morning.

So, last night I had pizza for the first time since December, and it wasn't very good at all - I ended up only having one slice. It was a Costco pizza, and I used to love their pepperoni pizzas, but at least plain cheese doesn't do it for me anymore. In another few weeks I'll probably try a slice from our local pizza place, but I'm still not expecting to be wowed.

Today's weigh in was 157.0, exactly what I weighed on February 1 (and I haven't gone below that, just up to 158.6). I put the scale in the closet - I'm trying to go back to saturday-only weigh ins for the current six week challenge.

Last night's Spartacus workout was pretty good for an at-home workout, but nothing amazing. I'll definitely keep it in mind for the future, though.

Today's exercise is Zumba this morning followed by rock climbing this afternoon - as though my triceps weren't still sore from Wednesday!

February 23 Menu

Meal 1: Bacon, Egg, and Sweet Potato Skillet

Meal 2: Still no idea. Have to go grocery shopping after Zumba.

Meal 3: Sriracha Salmon and Cauliflower with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce

http://tastefoodblog.com/2011/05/27/sriracha-baked-salmon-and-cauliflower/

Not much to add today, just updating my food log. I'm excited for the official start of my first 6-week challenge tomorrow!

Meal 1: Apple Muffins (from practical paleo)

Meal 2: Protein Shake

Meal 3: Bacon, Egg, and Sweet Potato Skillet

Meal 4: steak, asparagus, and julienned sweet potatoes.

Today's workout was a HIIT class that totally kicked my butt!

I had some coconut milk ice cream last night that made my stomach want to die. Lesson learned.

Getting started on my first 6 week challenge today - feeling very motivated! I also have my monthly pictures and measurements coming up on Saturday. I'll be curious to see how these go - I haven't lost any weight in February, but that doesn't mean my measurements and/or muscle tone haven't changed.

February 25 Menu:

Meal 1: Swirly Crustless Quiche (Practical Paleo)

Chicken Sausage and Mustard

Apple

Meal 2: Steak, asparagus, and julienned sweet potatoes

Cabbage Salad with Ginger Carrot Dressing

Afternoon Snack: Apple Muffins (Practical Paleo)

Meal 3: Roasted Chicken Thighs (Practical Paleo)

Oven Roasted Root Vegetables (Practical Paleo)

Eggplant

I was rather disappointed (again) with my grocery store's vegetable selection this week. I couldn't find sunchokes or artichokes. I was, however, able to get some jicama, parsnips, and turnips for my roasted root vegetables tonight, so we'll see how they go (I've never cooked any of them before).

Another good day yesterday. I subbed out some vegetable chips as my afternoon snack, since I'm not wild about the apple muffins, but still a good choice. I went to a HIIT class last night where we did all partner activities - having someone else working with you really makes you stay on your game! I felt awkward at first because the girl I was paired with was really thin, but then one of the instructors came over and complemented me on how much weight I've lost! No gym tonight - taking the evening off to go get a facial and relax :)

February 26 Menu:

Meal 1: Swirly Crustless Quiche (Practical Paleo)

Chicken Sausage and Mustard

Apple

Meal 2: Roasted Chicken Thigh (Practical Paleo)

Oven Roasted Root Vegetables (Practical Paleo)

Meal 3: Beef and Broccoli

White Rice

Consensus on Practical Paleo: All of the meat and vegetable recipes we've tried so far have been a hit. The breakfasts - not so much. Haven't tried any desserts yet. Overall, though, this cookbook still gets an A.

Nice relaxing night yesterday, although I had to throw out a bag of animal crackers I just couldn't keep my hands out of. Plaeo meals are super easy for me, it's the random urge to snack on simple carbs that kills me. I wanted to make some deviled eggs last night, but realized I only had enough to make it through dinner tonight. Paleo makes me go through a crazy number of eggs. And sweet potatoes. I have to stop by the store on my way home from work to restock on both.

My workout tonight is with my trainer, so I have no idea what to expect, other than that it will be a good one. I'm dying to try Zombies, Run, but there hasn't been any nice weather since I downloaded it! I wonder if I could possibly suck it up and try it on the *shudder* treadmill...

February 27 Menu:

Meal 1: Sausage, Sweet Potato, and Apple Hash

Apple

Meal 2: Beef and Broccoli

White Rice

Meal 3: Firey Jalepeno Burgers on Sweet Potato Buns (Practical Paleo)

Green Beans

Guacamole?

I had a killer workout last night. I don't think I ever thought I would die during a workout before. I did:

Overhead Squats at 25lbs: 50x

Bodyweight Rows: 50x

Tricep Dips at 90lbs resistance: 50x

Low plank with 25lb plate on my back: 3 minutes (total, not continuous)

Shuttle Run: 10x

Squats at 95lbs: 10x-10x-8x

And surprisingly, the only thing that's sore this morning is my triceps. However, this workout is still less than 12 hours ago, so I'm sure I'll get a little more sore as the day goes on. I plan on an easy workout tonight - running, if the sun ever comes out and it stops raining (not likely) or some light-weights and cardio in my basement.

The burgers I made last night from Practical Paleo were awesome - I was still full hours later, and had to force myself to have a protein shake after the gym. I'll definitely be making those again (I have leftovers for lunch - yum!)

I had to make a mid-week grocery store run last night, which I try to avoid. My shopping list? Eggs, Sweet Potatoes, and Bacon. Can you say #paleogirlproblems?

February 28 Menu:

Apple

Meal 2: Firey Jalepeno Burger on Sweet Potato Bun (Practical Paleo)

Guacamole

Meal 3: Chicken Bacon Bowl

Green Beans

Not much to update today. Didn't work out last night, since the weather was blah and I really didn't feel like working out at home, since I was sore already. Tonight will either be a run (third time's the charm, right?) or the Spartacus workout I did last week. I did do two sets of pushups last night as part of my 6 week challenge - I made it to 16 on the second set!

I had some non-paleo snacks yesterday (a granola bar and a small bag of cheez-its). I need to get back in the habit of keeping paleo snacks around the house. During my whole30, I was always stocked up on deviled eggs, dates, pre-sliced sweet potatoes, and tostones. Today I brought two apple-egg muffins to work with me, just in case.

February 29 Menu

Meal 2: Chicken Bacon Bowl

Green Beans

Meal 3: Apple Curry Chicken

Broccoli (I leave out the cheese - so good!)

I did my first zombies, run mission last night, and it was amazing! It really needs to get warmer, though; I got back in and could barely type on the computer my fingers were so cold. My stats for the first one weren't that great, partly because I haven't run in a while, and partly because I didn't realize that I should have stopped the mission before my cooldown. Now that I'm more used to the program, however, hopefully it will get better. But either way, this is very fun!

Went grocery shopping this morning, followed by my HIIT class. This afternoon I have plans to prep our laundry room and bathroom for painting, help my husband put up crown moulding, and make some lasagna for my cousin who just had a baby. Sometimes, I think my weekends are the busiest part of my week.

March 2 Menu

Meal 1: Epic Breakfast Skillet

Meal 2: Protein Shake

Meal 3: Chicken Salad, vegetables

Meal 4: Tilapia, vegetables

So yesterday, after going to the grocery store and the gym, we decided to hang crown moulding in our bedroom - this took about 10 hours in total. That said, we decided to get chinese food for dinner instead of making the fish I had planned to make. I felt guilty the entire time I was ordering it, eating it, and the rest of the night as well. And then this morning, I discovered I weigh THREE POUNDS more than I did yesterday morning.

I am the same person I was yesterday. I ate one "bad" meal. Why does this make me feel like I undid every good thing I've ever done for my body?

Ok, so after a crash and burn of a weekend (at least as far as my diet was concerned), I'm ready to greet the week back on track. The good news is that while my eating may not have been so great the past two days, I did a few killer workouts and accomplished a lot around the house as well.

Today is a heavy lifting day after work, followed by dinner (steak!) and some housework. I also made some deviled eggs to bring to work as afternoon snacks this week, and bought some banana chips to keep at my desk - hopefully slaying the non-paleo snack monster.

March 4 Menu:

Meal 1: Sweet potatoes, bacon/sausage, and eggs

Apple

Meal 2: Chicken Salad

Green Beans

Pre-workout: Deviled Eggs

Meal 3: Steak

Butternut Squash and Anise

Asparagus

Meal 4: Protein Shake (maybe)

March 4 Workout:

Squats (135 lbs) - 3 sets

Pushups - 3 sets

Bicep Curls (45 lb bar) - 3 sets

Dead Lifts (110 lbs) - 3 sets

Tricep Dips - 3 sets

Ab Pulls - 3 sets

Yesterday was a good day - clean eating, good workout, plus some productivity around the house. No workout tonight, just running errands and going to a knitting meetup. I'm still really bloated (I hope?) from the junk I ate last weekend - wishing this would go away.

March 5 Menu:

Meal 1: Sweet potatoes, bacon, sausage, and eggs

Apple

Meal 2: Steak

Butternut Squash and Anise

Asparagus

Afternoon Snack: Deviled Egg

Meal 3: Cobb Salad from Panera

Thanks to the storm that never happened, I got to sleep in this morning :) The weather called for 5-8" of snow, and we got...rain. Drizzling rain. So since I didn't have to be in work until 10am, I got to make a nice hot breakfast and enjoy it at my kitchen table rather than my desk. The bloating is definitely going down, all I do is pee, lol. Still not sure if it's more related to my period or the Chinese food I ate last weekend, but either way at least it was just water weight! Working out with the trainer tonight, I'll have an update on that tomorrow. I'm also hoping to get in another Zombies, Run workout soon, but the weather has been so gross I can't bring myself to do it.

March 6 Menu

Meal 2: Chicken Salad

Carrots

Snack: Deviled Egg

Meal 3: Grilled Green Chicken

Zucchini and Tomatoes

Sweet Potatoes

The trainer I work with was sick last night, so I ended up doing a Spartacus workout at home. It's 40 seconds on, 20 seconds rest doing 3 sets each of:

Plank with leg raise

Dumbbell Chop

Dumbbell Lunges

Goblet Squat

Squat Press

Dumbbell Row

One Leg Deadlift

Dumbbell Deadlift

Side Lunge and Touch

Not the most epic workout ever, but good enough for a cold rainy night when I don't want to drive to the gym. I also painted our laundry room yesterday, so I was on my feet for a while. Tonight, I'm either going to do another Zombies, Run mission after work, or one of my Denise Austin dvds if the weather is too gross.

I indulged in some (ok, a lot) of cookie dough last night. I forgot that that's the one food that's actually better if you freeze it, not an out of sight, out of mind type thing. I meant to throw it out on my way out the door this morning; I'll have to remember to do that when I get home.

March 7 Menu

Meal 1: Eggs, Avocado, Chicken Sausage, and mustard

Meal 2: Grilled Green Chicken

Zucchini and Tomatoes

Pre-workout: Deviled Eggs

Meal 3: Lemon-Ghee-Basil-Dill Tilapia

Green Beans

Also, I took my March progress pictures last weekend. My weight didn't change in February, and neither did my measurements, but the pictures look better - go figure! This is the first set I've taken in the bikini I bought to wear this summer - I'm getting close! I've never actually worn a bikini before - I'm more of a please-don't-look-at-me-I'm-wearing-a-tankini kind of girl, lol.

I completed Zombies, Run mission #2 last night - it was so sunny I think I would have gone outside no matter how cold it was! Luckily it wasn't too cold, and I remembered gloves this time. I ran 3.01 miles in 33:31. Not bad considering how long it's been since I've run on a regular basis!

I'm planning on running again tomorrow since it's supposed to be sunny and over 50, so I'll do a heavy lifting workout tonight.

Bar Squats - 5 sets - (65, 95, 115, 135, 155)

Dead Lift - 3 sets (80lbs)

Bodyweight Rows - 3 sets, 10 rows per set

Pushups - 3 sets

Tricep Dips - 3 sets

Overhead Pull - 3 sets (50lbs)

Ball Pikes - 3 sets

Pull Ups - 3 sets (60lbs resistance)

Dips - 3 sets (60lbs resistance)

March 8 Menu

Meal 1: Plantains, Chicken Sausage, Mustard, Apple

Meal 2: Grilled Green Chicken

Broccoli

Avocado

Pre-workout: deviled eggs

Meal 3: Beef (I have no idea what to do with it...)

Broccoli

Sweet Potato Crisps (with taco seasoning!)

Ack, I didn't post at all this weekend. It wasn't bad, though. We were very busy - hanging (more) crown moulding, visiting friends in MD, cleaning up the yard, and lots of spring cleaning (and finishing our latest Doctor Who dvd!) I did a Zombies, Run mission on Saturday - 3.06 miles in 32:07! Yesterday I went to a HIIT class. I was planning on running again tonight since it was supposed to be the last warm day for the week, but now there's a possibility of rain, so I may end up at the gym instead.

Nutritionally, this weekend wasn't too bad. I had a taste of some lemon bars I made on Friday (I was trying out a new recipe for easter - it's a winner!). Saturday was on-plan for breakfast and lunch, then had a brownie with our friends, and some fries for dinner. I didn't feel great that night, I have a feeling it was the canola oil she made the fries in, since I'm not used to that. Yesterday was back to paleo again. I made the cherry barbeque steak skewers from nomnompaleo last night - this is definitely in my top 3 favorite recipes now. I'm excited to enjoy leftovers for lunch :)

March 11 Menu:

Meal 1: 1/2 sweet potato

Chicken Sausage with mustard

Apple

Meal 2: Cherry Barbeque Steak Skewers

Savory Sweet Potatoes (Practical Paleo)

Asparagus

Pre-workout: Deviled Egg

Meal 3: Bacon Chicken Bowls

Brussels Sprouts

I completed Zombies, Run Mission #4 last night - 2.93 miles in 33:14. I was hoping the run I mapped out was a little over 3 miles like my last few had been, but now I know I need to add another block or so. Time wasn't great, but I've been coming down with a cold, so I'm not overly concerned. Thanks to this cold, I'm taking my off night from the gym tonight. I know I've become a workout junkie when I'm disappointed that it's my day off.

March 12 Menu:

Apple

Meal 2: Bacon Chicken Bowl

Brussels Sprouts

Meal 3: Pollo in Pottachio

Zucchini

Blergh, yesterday's cold was gross, but I'm (hopefully) over the worst of it now. I bought some ice cream at lunch yesterday, which helped a little but didn't taste nearly as good as I remember ice cream tasting (This was the first time I've had store-bought ice cream since at least December. I am not impressed). Still not feeling 100%, but hopefully I'll feel good enough by this afternoon to have a good workout with my trainer tonight.

March 13 Menu:

Meal 1: Sweet potatoes with Taco Seasoning

Chicken Sausage with Mustard

Apple

Meal 2: Pollo in Pottachio

Carrots

Meal 3: Salmon with Lemon and Bay Leaves

Green Beans