Preferences

Preferences

hey there ppl...

My name is Ris and I'm continuing my journey of weight loss and fitness.  I'm a self described science nerd, and pre-service teacher/grad student. 

Here's my story:

I was always an active kid and I considered myself an athlete for many years.  My sports were (are?) figure skating, dance, rowing, and soccer.  My senior year in HS I was about 135lb.  Mostly I fell off with these sports when I went to college. I had a very rigorous program and didn't adjust well to feeding myself away at school or make time for exercise.  :( I gained about 20 lbs. in college and didn't even think about it.

When I graduated and came back home for a full time job (a rarity in 2008) I started to really put on the lbs.  At my heaviest I was 196lb. AHHHHH!!!  :disgust: That was a wake up call and I joined a gym, got a personal trainer and changed my diet.  I had success with that program of strength training and cardio, I lost about 20lb.  But I soon realized that the huge amount of $ I was paying was not something I could afford any more.  I learned some great tips but found it extremely hard to motivate myself.

I gained back 10lb...

Went on Weight Watchers and lost 17lb...

Stopped WW cuz I just lost my momentum and its just so hard to stay focused when no one around you gives a hoot about healthy eating!!!!!  My willpower has seen better days.

I have been hovering around the 170 mark for about 6 months and to say the least I hate it.  My grad school program is SO time consuming but I'm tired of making excuses for myself.  I feel like crap about my body and I'm searching for the methods I will stick with.  

That all being said, I'm looking forward to this community and I'm going to start paleo very soon.  I think it is a good fit for my needs and lifestyle, plus I'm a big fan of evolutionary biology... :wub:

Cheers all,

Ris

Preferences
§
-
=
Backspace

Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]

Return

capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\

shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
/
shift

English

Deutsch

Español

Français

Italiano

Português

РуÑÑкий

alt
alt

Preferences

Ris

Level 1 | Halfling | Adventurer

STR 2 | DEX 1 | STA 2 | CON 4 | WIS 4 | CHA 2

"Gandalf: I am looking for someone to share in an adventure that I am arranging, and it's very difficult to find anyone.

Bilbo: I should think so — in these parts! We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner!â€

― JRR Tolkien, The Hobbit

good luck! you found an amazing support group-

I was a biology major//agriculture grad student and post doc// soil scientist before the rest of my life happened-

set good goals, join the next challenge, have fun, stay determined

Hi, I'm a new recruit as well.  I just graduated (BS in Animal Science, biology rules!!!) and my fitness level dropped in college too, which is one of the reasons I'm taking some time off before appling to grad/vet school.

Good luck with your goals!

Level 0 Yeti Adventurer with Assassin Aspirations

"Every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as I have received and am still receiving" - Albert Einstein