Heavy lifting and protein intake?

So question for anyone who may know...

I'm a female and I've just started lifting heavy.  I love power lifiting and was inspiried by Staci's story on here. 

Anyways,  I've been trying to cram in protein so I can build a lot of muscle but when can I take a break?

I know it's really important to get my protein in after awork out but what about days I don't lift? or if I havea  2 day break from lifting?  I'm going mostly paleo so it's not like it's the only thing I'm eating, but Do I need to be feeding my body tons of protein even when I'm just realxing?

Thanks!

I know it's really important to get my protein in after awork out (not really, meal timing is fairly irrelevant)  but what about days I don't lift?  or if I havea  2 day break from lifting?(yes its still important) I'm going mostly paleo so it's not like it's the only thing I'm eating, but Do I need to be feeding my body tons of protein even when I'm just realxing? (pick a daily goal, 1-1.5 g per lb of body weight, and hit it every day)

Replies in blue.

For women, you want more in the range of .8-1.2g of protein per lb of body weight per day and dial it up toward 1.5g per lb if you have recovery issues.  The reason for this is that women tend to be more sensitive than men to caloric surplus and excess accumulation of fat.  If you can get the 1.5g per lb of body weight per day wihtout too huge of a caloric excess, then go for it.

As for timing, it should be every day.  If building muscle, the reapir can take up to 48 hours.  If losing fat, the higher the protein, the higher the % of the weight loss will come from fat rather than muscle. Personally, I just eat very high protein meals, planning evry meal I personally make around making sure it has 80g-100g of protein in it. I'm 255 lb, so I should get 250-375g a day. It's hard to get anywhere near the upper ranges, but i typically get 250 or at least close.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

For women, you want more in the range of .8-1.2g of protein per lb of body weight per day and dial it up toward 1.5g per lb if you have recovery issues.  The reason for this is that women tend to be more sensitive than men to caloric surplus and excess accumulation of fat.  If you can get the 1.5g per lb of body weight per day wihtout too huge of a caloric excess, then go for it.

As for timing, it should be every day.  If building muscle, the reapir can take up to 48 hours.  If losing fat, the higher the protein, the higher the % of the weight loss will come from fat rather than muscle. Personally, I just eat very high protein meals, planning evry meal I personally make around making sure it has 80g-100g of protein in it. I'm 255 lb, so I should get 250-375g a day. It's hard to get anywhere near the upper ranges, but i typically get 250 or at least close.

@CoreyD: Can you give me an example of what you eat on a normal day? This is my first challenge and I just got back into lifting. I am shooting for about 200g of protein a day. I am sitting at 211lbs. But I just can't seem to fathom how I can eat that much protein in a day! What are some good foods to get you to those higher numbers?

Thanks, Matt

Level 1.5 Zerg Ranger
  STR: 4 | DEX: 4 | STA: 2 | CON: 2 | WIS: 1 | CHA: 2
"True friends stab you in the front"

My First Challenge

My lunch every day is literally 1 pound of chicken, which nets 100g of protein. I usually include 2 cups of broccoli or a veggie as well, but I've been lazy lately and only have the chicken. I cook it in 5-8 lb batches on Sunday, divide into 1 lb increments in sandwich bags, then freeze the lot. I keep 2-3 bags unfrozen in the fridge and replace them from the freezer as I go so that there is always some dethawed cooked chicken, but none that has been sitting around for more than a few days. I keep various things like Frank's Red Hot, salad dressing, or dry rubs to put on the chicken and make it different week to week. I microwave it at work for 2-3 minutes before eating. At first it was hard to stomach 1 lb of chicken in 1 sitting, but it's gotten easier. Making it appetizing with the sauces, or, if you have the calories, by using dark meat instead of white meat, makes it easier.

I also have 2 scoops of whey protein mixed in water daily. If it's a workout day, I do one pre and post workout. If it's not, it's typically pre and post dinner. Those are 26g each, so after that you have 152g.

Breakfast is 3-4 eggs and 3-4 slices of bacon. I make them either in muffin form (giant muffin tin will hold 2 eggs per cup. I top with cooked bacon or line the tins with partially cooked bacon and freeze all muffins) or casserole form (24 eggs, 1 lb of bacon in Pyrex, plus veggies if you like, cook at 375 til done. Slice in 6 pieces and freeze em all. Search livestrong.com/myplate for a few recipes I've posted) I then have 2 muffins or 1 casserole slice for breakfast. Nuking them for 3ish minutes completely dethaws and warms it up. This nets 24-32 g of protein.

So, to sum up, between breakfast, lunch, and whey, I get 176-184g of protein. I don't control dinner, my wife does, which is why i do the whey as she only typically has about 50g of protein in there and I end the day around 210-250g even with the whey. If dinner still comes up short on protein, I always have more chicken in the fridge.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

NB, if you're obese, it's recommend to use those protein/lb formulae based on your *goal* weight, not your current weight. FWIW, I aim for roughly 1.5g/kg of bodyweight, which is about 0.7g/lb (and it's overall 80g/day for me, a relatively skinny short woman). So around the bottom end of the range Corey recommends. And its still a *hell* of a lot of protein, compared to what I used to eat. I only make it most days by using a protein supplement (whey protein isolate) once a day.

It's good to make a table listing your favourite protein-rich foods and how much protein per serve they have.

Oh thank god... I am obese and the thought of cramming in 200g of protein everyday is like... daughnting.   And I will make a list! That's a good idea!