Hermy G's Super Fantastic Between Challenge Workout Log of Silliness!

Looks like my last battle log got archived.  That's okay! Now I have this fun new place to log my workouts and post moar ridiculousness! 

Anywho...

2/19/13

Squats:

bwx3

55x3

65x2

75x1

85x5

85x5

85x5

Walking Lunges:

15lb dbs 2x12

Bench:

55x4

70x3

85x1

90x5

90x5

90x5

Hip Thrusts (on leh ball):

3x12

Before the thrusts I attemped to do barbell thrusts with my bench weight on my bench. Not so much. Soooo, thrust folks (men, in particular) where exactly is the barbell resting?  I feel like it's a little ehrm weirdly placed.. 

Stretching and mobility, before, after, during.

Things I learned this lift:

Erotica by Madonna makes a great squat song

My hair looks exactly like my FB cartoon avatar's

Deload week's are awesome. Came back and all my lifts felt pretty strong.

Eating more might be playing a happy roll already. Yays.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Yeah, it just seems like a weird spot.... doesn't help the whole humping thing :P  Anyhow..

February 21, 2013

OHP:

45x2

55x2

65x1

70x1

72.5x5

72.5x5

72.5x5

72.5x5

one more than last time... skipped last week

Deadlift:

105x3

120x2

135x1

150x1

160x5

145x1

145x3

Finally back to bodyweight deadlifts. Huzzah. Only 75 pounds to go to be back where I was for reps.

Good Mornings:

60x6

60x6

60x6

I'll stick with this for a while to get used to the form. it felt like sufficient weight.

Side and Front Lateral Raise Superset:

10x10 side

10x5 front

10x10 side

10x5 front

had to wait for step so I threw these bad boys in.

Step Up:

15# dumbbells; 6 risers

3x8

And I skipped ab work. because frak that, that's why.

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost

Your thread.  Where is it.

Edit:  Dammit I suck, there it is.

Ha, it took me a while to get it set up. 

That reminds me, I should post my last workout (which was pre challenge)

2/23/13

Squats:

bwx5

55x2

70x1

80x1

90x5

90x5

90x5

frakking finally. 

Rack Pulls:

95x3

105x3

120x3

135x3

135x3

decided to quit cleans for the time being.  some research on rack pulls made me all oooh and ahhhh, so isolation style it is.

Dips:

I left my notebook on the rack while some guy worked in on my sets... did I mention I put smiley faces on my lifts to denote how pleased I am with them? Yes, there are varying levels of smiles. Anyhow.. awkward

Tabata skiers: low score 34 (that's 2  more than last time)

Oh hai, it's that week again.

4/6/13 (technically during the challenge but I didn't log it there)

Squats:

bwx6

70x3

85x2

95x1

100x5

100x5

100x5

I wasn't pleased with my form on these but, oddly enough, some guy came over and complimented it.. so, that was kinda cool.

Also, FINAFRAKKINLY! back to 100lb squat. Sweetbabyjesus.

Rack Pulls:

135x2 (or 1? not sure, just did a bit to activate things)

155x1

175x5

175x5

175x5

maybe on these sets. i completely forget now that it's been a few days.

but for realz, how do y'all super load.. jiminy

Dips:

got a negative on the first and second set, also

Gymnast core thing:

3x5 left

3x5 right

that might have been it? I skipped my finisher because I was feeling blehhh and wondered if tabata fun would mess with what I suspect are higher than normal cortisol levels. So, there's that.

4/9/13

Squats:

bwx3

70x3

bwx2

85x2

95x2

100x5

100x5

100x5

better form. much more solid.

DB Bench:

30x6

35x5

35x5

weights are per db. all the flat benches were being used. wah.

DB BSS:

20x6

20x6

ow.

Push ups:

Curly curlz:

15x2

20x4

20x4

15 was too light, 20 just a bit too heavy

Tabata box jumps:

so freaking awful. i will own you box jumps. I will.

Woot for being back up to 100 on squats!

Woot, indeed! It feels like it's been forever...

4/11/13

OHP:

45x2

60x2

70x1

75x1

75x1

75x1

75x0

75x1

after I failed I wanted to see if I could do more. answer: no, not really. that last rep was a mess.

Deadlift:

135x2

135x1

150x1

170x1

180x2

180x2

180x1

155x1

blehhhhhhh. 170 came up so easy last week... 180 was a hot mess. thought to do some more but my body say, um hi. no.

DB Step Ups:

5 risers

20x10

20x10

20x10

so 6 risers has been really rough on my right leg, so I thought I'd try 5 and see what happens. turns out that's pretty easy. So, I'm not sure if I should try 6 risers and 15# dbs or just keep at the 20s.

Good Mornings:

65x8

70x8

70x6

didn't realize I had forgotten to do these until I finished my step ups and was checking what core work to do.

Dead bug:

8# medicine ball

8 reps

my hips kept popping so I stopped

Boat:

8/7

Side reach thing:

26/26

I wanted to do some cable wood chops but there were some bros hitting their shoulders/backs/whatevs in every conceivable manner so it was never free. wah. 

annnnnd..... fin.

Lots of heavy OHP singles though, yay! Maybe do back-off sets of 8-12 reps of maybe 75% of your max single? I promise 55lbs will feel much lighter on the way down than it would have on the way up. :D

That's a good call. I added that note to my notebook on Saturday so I remember to do it next time.  You are a smart one.

4/13

Squat:

bwx4

65x3

65x3

80x2

95x2

100x5

100x5

100x5

made my warm ups longer because I felt like I wasn't warming up properly/enough the last few times. my quads felt tight and rippy, which is not cool.  So, this was definitely more but still better. Also, possibly incorrect b/c I already forget.  but it's the jist.

the 100 was perfecto this time. i debated going up in weight but realized it was about to be lady business time and I usually deload so i opted to try again at the same weight.

*more notes below

Rack pulls:

135x1

165x1

175x6

175x6

175x6

queries:

1. how do y'all usually program these? I've been operating under the 3-5 sets of 6-10 reps accessory principle but these feel like maybe they call for something different.

2. do you continuously pull or reset each time?

Dips:

2.5/2/1.5

got a good negative on set 2.  seems like I'm making a wee bit of very slow progress here. woot.

Gymnastic V rolls:

5x3 left

5x3 right

Bike intervals:

2 minute warm up

30 on; 30 off from min 2-10:30

Cool down

*thoughts on squats:

I need to find the balance between moving up too fast and ending up with poor form and not moving up fast enough because I'm being a wimp/scaredy cat.  I think more detailed notes on how they felt and what I liked and didn't like about them will be helpful for this. 

I did rack pulls mostly doing three or four sets of three to six reps. I don't remember what I did with resetting though I vaguely remember the bar not staying in place well so I think I did have to reset my grip after each rep. My log from that time also says I did increasingly heavy singles until I couldn't pull any more once. That was pretty fun. I ran out of plates about the same time I ran out of pull.

Subbed because I will miss seeing your challenge thread my dear :)

Yay!!!  :D

I did rack pulls mostly doing three or four sets of three to six reps. I don't remember what I did with resetting though I vaguely remember the bar not staying in place well so I think I did have to reset my grip after each rep. My log from that time also says I did increasingly heavy singles until I couldn't pull any more once. That was pretty fun. I ran out of plates about the same time I ran out of pull.

The resetting is definitely because the bar doesn't like to stay put.  It makes sense and I'm trying to remember what I've seen others do... I think they also reset.  I did put my band around both of the safeties so the bar would, at least, stop rolling forward as much... it was mildly helpful.

I'm wondering why it is I can't properly superload.  My guess: not using my posterior chain as effectively as necessary.  Work to be done! 

Seriously, though. Saturday's workouts always kill me.  Major DOMS, etc.  I kinda love it.

Switched my workout days this week to Mon/Wed because Thurs got all filled up with appointments. Freakin' A, I hate the gym on Monday night. 

4/15/13

Squats:

bwx5

65x3

80x3

95x1

102.5x5

102.5x5

102.5x5

initially, i thought about doing a lighter workout since i'm in full lady biz mode. also had a really emotionally exhausting day. decided to see about increasing it anyway. i'm glad i did. these were super solid and felt great.

the body, she adapts. and i love it.

DB Bench:

35x5

35x5

35x5

the bros were all up on the flat benches. they're really starting to tick me off. how can i practice my bench form when you're jacking my stuff?

stupid bros.

DB Walking Lunges:

20x10

20x10

20x10

Pushups:

ha. decided to do them, then remembered the finisher I had planned and decided not to do them. also, my arms were all ryoqpoura;fauraweopqr

Finisher:

3 rounds; 30 seconds each

Mountain climbers

In-Outs

Superman

Plank

this was like a ninja finisher. i saw my trainer friend running a client through it and thought, "sure, sounds good." uh no. my core was 100% jello and i was drenched in sweat.  surprise!

next time I'm going to see if i can wrangle some girly dbs (you know, the colorful ones that aren't round) so I can grip those while doing mountain climbers. i have long standing wrist issues. they hate anything like that. neutral wrists are happy wrists.

Suggestion time:

It seems I'm running into the bench problem a lot lately.  DB bench is fun and definitely a different animal, but is there anything additional I should do with it? Or another exercise to do in place of it? 

I already do dips (though, theoretically, I could do them twice a week if that's advisable).

Ima cross post this to the warrior chat thread, too.

I'm finally getting over here. It's already overwhelming. I can't keep up!! 

For DB benching, I also like to do pec flies. I don't really know that they help with benching, but while I'm there, I do a few sets of flies. And I like them for whatever reason. I feel like they give the ole girls some pep. ;)

I do DB bench and flies either on the floor on on a step (like step aerobic step), if you hadn't considered the step. That's actually how I learned them (floor and/or step). The step obviously give you more ROM. 

I'm sure you've thought of this, but that's all I can add. 

Also... Over 100lb squat. RAWR! You go, girl! <-- Said like Rikki Lake from the 90s. Her show now (if it's still on the air) is bo-ring. 

rick_lake.jpg

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

2" washers for smaller weight increases

I'm finally getting over here. It's already overwhelming. I can't keep up!! 

For DB benching, I also like to do pec flies. I don't really know that they help with benching, but while I'm there, I do a few sets of flies. And I like them for whatever reason. I feel like they give the ole girls some pep. ;)

I do DB bench and flies either on the floor on on a step (like step aerobic step), if you hadn't considered the step. That's actually how I learned them (floor and/or step). The step obviously give you more ROM. 

I'm sure you've thought of this, but that's all I can add. 

Also... Over 100lb squat. RAWR! You go, girl! <-- Said like Rikki Lake from the 90s. Her show now (if it's still on the air) is bo-ring. 

rick_lake.jpg

90's Ricki is the best!  This makes me want to watch some of the terrible/wonderful movies she was in...  Like that one I always want to call Sugar Babies, but that's a candy. I think it was actually Baby Cakes. 

Anywho, yay! 1. Glad you're here, 2. I hadn't thought of chest flies, actually.  Interesting! I might give 'em a try. I wonder if I can fly what I can db bench?

Oh Hai! I was looking for your challenge thread, no wonder I couldn't find it. I'll keep an eye on this for some awesome stuff!

Yay! Yes! Hopefully awesome will be here.. I think I can handle some awesome for muh friends.

So, Boyf brought home some ZMA (zinc magnesium aspartate) a while back and was all, "take this to help you sleep."  I've been taking it for maybe a week, give or take a couple days.  Only last night did it occur to me I should probably know more about it.  So, I did a very, very quick google search and found this:

ZMA claims to raise strength levels, though independent studies do not support this claim.

(wiki!)

So, while I didn't read much more, and it says studies don't support it, I can't help but wonder if it is the reason behind my recent bout of strength.  Usually, during Teh Lady Biz I'm way weak, but the last few workouts have been pretty stellar.

So, I guess worth noting here for posterity's sake.

So I just realized that you don't have a thread.  

friendsomg.gif

(I actually realized it yesterday, but was too busy to come find you, but this way I get to use a Friends gif)  I'll be lurking around here plenty, just to make sure that your "awesome" is staying at appropriate levels.  

Also, I finally broke down and I'm shopping for a rotisserie, let the price comparisons begin!!!

The path to Swolehalla is paved with a lot of Swolehate, and you won't get there without being Swole of Spirit too.

Race: Fiendish Blue Extension Cord

Class: Warrior
Links:  MFP  Battle Log  Current Challenge

Regarding bench versus pec flies, I can actually do more with pec flies than I can bench - BUT that's probably doing more volume than you do. Looks like you do sets of five reps @ 35lbs. Is that 70lbs total? Has to be, otherwise what dumbbell sizes would that be? I should be able to do this math. 17.5? They don't make that size of DB do they?

Anyway, I like flies. But I have no proof they do anything. I just like the cue "pretend like you're hugging a big barrel." And then I think of a root beer candy, which reminds me of childhood. And before I know it, I'm done. Then I crave root beer candy, but that goes away pretty quickly. 

2d4cef321ca6a8e6.jpg

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

Eureka! I figured out why my subscribe isn't working! It doesn't subscribe me if I go back and edit. I have to do it on a new post. So don't mind me. I NEED to be subscribed. Unlike the Warrior thread, I can't wing this one by glancing through to see what i'm missing. Efficiency, people! 

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

Eureka! I figured out why my subscribe isn't working! It doesn't subscribe me if I go back and edit. I have to do it on a new post. So don't mind me. I NEED to be subscribed. Unlike the Warrior thread, I can't wing this one by glancing through to see what i'm missing. Efficiency, people! 

Yeah, I only sub on people not in the Warrior section because I figure I'll see the Warriors when I go to post in my own thread. Though I always get overwhelmed by the number of people posting there and can't remember if I commented or read or lost someone on page two.

What exactly is an in-out? That circuit sounds brutal...

If I remember right, isn't an in-out where you sit, use hands behind you for support.  Legs out straight together, then bring them in, knees as close to your chest as possible. Pretty sure they do it in Ab RipperX, if you're familiar with that...

Stealing that finisher for my core work this week too.

So I just realized that you don't have a thread.  

friendsomg.gif

(I actually realized it yesterday, but was too busy to come find you, but this way I get to use a Friends gif)  I'll be lurking around here plenty, just to make sure that your "awesome" is staying at appropriate levels.  

Also, I finally broke down and I'm shopping for a rotisserie, let the price comparisons begin!!!

Yay friends gif!

Excellent. I expect no less!

Squee! Rotisserie!! I can't wait to see which one you get!!!  Your life is about to get way better. I hope you're prepared...

Regarding bench versus pec flies, I can actually do more with pec flies than I can bench - BUT that's probably doing more volume than you do. Looks like you do sets of five reps @ 35lbs. Is that 70lbs total? Has to be, otherwise what dumbbell sizes would that be? I should be able to do this math. 17.5? They don't make that size of DB do they?

Anyway, I like flies. But I have no proof they do anything. I just like the cue "pretend like you're hugging a big barrel." And then I think of a root beer candy, which reminds me of childhood. And before I know it, I'm done. Then I crave root beer candy, but that goes away pretty quickly. 

2d4cef321ca6a8e6.jpg

Lols, I love your trains of thought. You know, that' interesting that you can do more weight. I find I don't think I can do much w/ dbs but when I actually start I can (originally tried 25 # dbs for db bench and that was too light).  I'll give 'em a try!  Seth also suggested them.  Watch out world, the girls are about to get peppy!

Yeah, I only sub on people not in the Warrior section because I figure I'll see the Warriors when I go to post in my own thread. Though I always get overwhelmed by the number of people posting there and can't remember if I commented or read or lost someone on page two.

I can't read, "Eureka!" without thinking of the show...which is what i'm watching right now. Love it.

I have it set up to add to my content when I comment. Otherwise I get a little note in my notices.  BUT I still have a bunch of stuff I had unfollowed/unsubscribed to before the switch that keeps showing up and I can't get it to go away. So annoying.

That's because root beer candy is gross. Root beer floats are vastly superior.

Dammit. Now I want a root beer float.

mmmm root beer floats...

I submit for your consideration (Ricki Lake, far right):

07361.jpg

Yessssssss! Love that movie! So great.

What exactly is an in-out? That circuit sounds brutal...

If I remember right, isn't an in-out where you sit, use hands behind you for support.  Legs out straight together, then bring them in, knees as close to your chest as possible. Pretty sure they do it in Ab RipperX, if you're familiar with that...

Stealing that finisher for my core work this week too.

^ yup, that's it!  I held my hands out by my knees to make it harder... turns out that totally wasn't necessary hahahahaha

I hope you enjoy it!  I'm really in this place where I'm loving how much I suck at some stuff b/c I'm now super dedicated to getting better at it. Watch out core circuit, you are going down. Box jumps will meet you there. Booya.

speaking of: workout!

4/17

OHP:

45x3

60x2

70x1

75x1

75x1

75x1

75x1

75x0

55x6

added WQ's idea of a back off set. meant to go to 10 but Stuff happened.

Deadlift:

135x3

150x2

170x1

180x1

180x2

180x2

the first break was b/c I forgot to move my little plate and it got in the way. I think I could have done 3 consecutive, at least.  However, the constant reset f*cked with me and the last couple were shitacular. :grumble:

Step ups:

6 risers; 15 pound dbs

3x8

so I goldilocksed this and found the "just right"... 6 risers with 15# dbs was challenging enough

Good Mornings Ball Glute Bridge:

3x12

I keep forgetting to do GM while i have the rack. So I rewrote my notes to remind myself next time. When I went back the racks were being used so I did the ball thing.

Jackknife:

3x6

I was going to do cable wood chops again (or again I was going to...) and damn bros got there first.

My TFLs are super, duper sore. They are so hard right now. It's just crazy. I've been rolling them out on the ball and roller but it's only mildly helpful. Light yoga this morning helped a little.  I finally booked a deep tissue massage for tonight so I'm hopeful that will break down some of my issues.