Hermy G's Super Fantastic Between Challenge Workout Log of Silliness!

Excuse me while I go get my rage face.  

Grr elliptical and bike spewing doctor!!!  

I googled "mild narrowing of C5-C6 intervertebral disc space" and read a lot of abstracts on papers filled with jargon, now my brain hurts.  

The path to Swolehalla is paved with a lot of Swolehate, and you won't get there without being Swole of Spirit too.

Race: Fiendish Blue Extension Cord

Class: Warrior
Links:  MFP  Battle Log  Current Challenge

Excuse me while I go get my rage face.  

Grr elliptical and bike spewing doctor!!!  

I googled "mild narrowing of C5-C6 intervertebral disc space" and read a lot of abstracts on papers filled with jargon, now my brain hurts.  

HAHAHAHAHA yeah... pretty much.  I'm too sleep deprived to really try to weed through the interwebs.  I'm getting all ticked off just trying to figure out how long this medicine takes to get out of my system (all the posts about it are the worst and convince me I'm going to get fat and miserable and stay that way forever even though I'm already off it).  Internet, Y U so full of bullshit?!

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Ohhhh dear. That sounds very familiar to what I have. Is the disc herniated?

NINJA EDIT:
"small bridging osteophytes impinging on the neural foramina"

Yup, that sounds like herniated disc. That whomps, big time. I've herniated my L3-L4 disc a couple times, and it got so bad that I could barely walk at one point.

The weird part of herniated discs is having random numbness in parts of your leg, because the herniation pushes on nerves and cuts off the signal.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

Ohhhh dear. That sounds very familiar to what I have. Is the disc herniated?

NINJA EDIT:

"small bridging osteophytes impinging on the neural foramina"

Yup, that sounds like herniated disc. That whomps, big time. I've herniated my L3-L4 disc a couple times, and it got so bad that I could barely walk at one point.

The weird part of herniated discs is having random numbness in parts of your leg, because the herniation pushes on nerves and cuts off the signal.

zomg, yes! That's exactly what's going on in my right arm.  My deltoid has been randomly numb. Super annoying and weird. And scary. 

what was your recovery protocol?

Ouch, no good with the back.

Looks like you're making good progress with the pistols. If you're able to go down to a bench and up on only one leg, you're real close.

Yay! That's encouraging!

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost

Yah. I had outside of my left leg and, oddly enough, the space between my big and second toes. No, not one toe or the other, the space in between

It... was a multi-month ordeal. I started out with physio, which I'm not entirely sure whether it helped or not (combination of stretching and electro stimulation, VERY unpleasant), but it no longer killed me to try and walk places after about two weeks, and a month in I was able to re-join rugby practice. Took three months to be cleared for squats and deadlifts in the gym again, and even now I NEED to limit my exposure/volume to those sorts of heavy loads, as the entire section is basically held together by what are now ridiculously strong lower back muscles (wouldn't be surprised if a similar muscularity phenomenon is what holds my right shoulder together >.>). But yeah three months before I could stop physio, but had minor flare ups from time to time for up to a year following if I pushed it too hard and I can still get ridiculous pain nowadays if I tried to do too much volume at once.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

Ouuuuuuch. Geez, man. You are obviously talented in the injury arena! Yikes.

It's kind of hilarious (read: not really) that YOU were the first to use the term "herniated disc"... (say wha?) so I did some research there and found lots of information.  I reached out to my chiro who said we'll chat at our next appointment as my questions were a little too involved to do via email (she's also the only doc at her practice right now since the other just left to be a stay at home mom).  I'm looking forward to that.  A lot of what I found said it would be a good six weeks, at least.  I'm just hoping it'll respond to the conservative treatment and surgery won't end up being a necessity. 

So far the adjustments and at home treatment seem to be helping. So maybe they are actually helping. We'll see.  I see my chiro again on Wed.

In the meantime, I need to find a new doctor. 

I'm finally feeling a little better, but not entirely. I think I may have a virus or something (which I likely caught while those heinous meds were suppressing my immune system).  Still getting very easily dehydrated (especially at night), woke up with a massive headache and feeling pretty sick.  Got sick for no discernible reason and now I feel better (in that sense anyhow). 

Telecommuting today. Working from the couch is glorious.

Saturday I felt well enough to get a workout in, but I definitely over did it. Noted for next time.

5/11/13

Pistol work:

Lowering to third box (down/up)

Left (1/1): 4/4; Left (1/2): 1/1

Right (1/1): 5/4; Right (1/2) 0/1

stronger on my right leg. some of these were continuous whereas last week I had reset at the top on all of them. 

I tried to lower to the smallest box once on each side for giggles. I need something in between, but it was pretty good.

DB BSS:

15x5

15x7

weight per hand/reps per leg

Random db squat stuff:

just played with various ways to squat with some weight--there is no good way to do this, I've decided.

Lunge w/ Front Foot Elevated:

20x8

20x6

weight per hand/reps per leg.

this was too much after the random squat stuff i think.

annoying dude kept chatting with me. he always talks to me when I work up front. the other day he called pistols "sissy squats".. um..please don't talk to me. ever. kthanksbai.

Bodyweight Squats:

10/10/10

Glute Bridge w/ ball: 10

Glute Bridge w/o ball: 10

Clam: 20 each side

Bike intervals:

Mins 1-2 warm ups

Mins 2-7:30 30 seconds on, 30 seconds off

Mins 7:30-9 cool down

got vomit-y.

Felt like crap most of the rest of the day. Spent way too much time out and about with Boyf. Hi, overdone workout.

I'm also to do my neck thing from chiro 3x/week.  I did it Friday, Saturday, and today.

annoying dude kept chatting with me. he always talks to me when I work up front. the other day he called pistols "sissy squats".. um..please don't talk to me. ever. kthanksbai.

I know this would involve conversing (which would probably mean encouraging) with the guy, but next time annoying dude is making disparaging comments about pistols, ask him if he's ever tried them. Because if he can knock out multiple reps while holding a heavy weight, okay, but if not, put up or shut up, dude, I hear stories about 400lb squatters utterly failing to be able to get up using one leg holding nothing at all.

Hope things get figured out soon!

Ouuuuuuch. Geez, man. You are obviously talented in the injury arena! Yikes.

It's kind of hilarious (read: not really) that YOU were the first to use the term "herniated disc"... (say wha?) so I did some research there and found lots of information. 

I like this method. Much better than the usual HERP DERP I DUN UNDERSTAND PLEZ BE MA PERSUNAL GEWGAL

I know this would involve conversing (which would probably mean encouraging) with the guy, but next time annoying dude is making disparaging comments about pistols, ask him if he's ever tried them. Because if he can knock out multiple reps while holding a heavy weight, okay, but if not, put up or shut up, dude, I hear stories about 400lb squatters utterly failing to be able to get up using one leg holding nothing at all.

Hope things get figured out soon!

It usually involves him asking a question, to which I'll respond with one word... that's all it takes. Next thing I know he's all "blahblahblah"

He's one of those people who talks AT you, not to you, ya know? So annoying. I need to get a new phone so I can go back to using my headphones. Glorious headphones.

But seriously, me every time he talks (and specifically when he said that about pistols):

clint-eastwood-disgusted-gif.gif

I like this method. Much better than the usual HERP DERP I DUN UNDERSTAND PLEZ BE MA PERSUNAL GEWGAL

Hahaha whaaaat? Y u no want to B gewgal?  ;)

It usually involves him asking a question, to which I'll respond with one word... that's all it takes. Next thing I know he's all "blahblahblah"

He's one of those people who talks AT you, not to you, ya know? So annoying. I need to get a new phone so I can go back to using my headphones. Glorious headphones.

But seriously, me every time he talks (and specifically when he said that about pistols):

clint-eastwood-disgusted-gif.gif

Hahaha whaaaat? Y u no want to B gewgal?  ;)

Bcuz a gewgull is rilly big!

Laura <3 Hopefully your issues get sorted and soon! 

There is no signature here.

I need to find the balance between moving up too fast and ending up with poor form and not moving up fast enough because I'm being a wimp/scaredy cat.  I think more detailed notes on how they felt and what I liked and didn't like about them will be helpful for this. 

I share this affliction.  It sure sucks.  I'd rather be able to hit every single session though, as a opposed to being gimped out for days or weeks at a time and unable to lift up my daughter...

Also, I vote for wearing headphones even without music.  I'm notorious for doing this at work when I don't want to talk to people (i.e. most of the time).

I second the musicless headphones. If you pull the cord through your shirt, no one notices its plugged into nothing...

Detailed notes are very important. I prefer plain language to symbols and shortforms because it would take me longer to come up with a legend to annotate something like "failed one, two shaky lockouts but decent hip drive" than to just write that out. A week later when I review my notes, I wont need a translator...

There is no signature here.

I second the musicless headphones. If you pull the cord through your shirt, no one notices its plugged into nothing...

Or leave the cord hanging free to be extra obvious to people that you aren't listening to music, you just really don't want to talk to them.

Hearing gym stories makes me glad I workout at home.  Tons of people tell me that you can't make progress at home due to distractions/family/etc., or that if you don't train around other people who train you won't progress as far.  People bug me and I tend to feel better off alone, but I'm sure there is a lot of truth to all of that, too.

Aiel Rebel

Current Challenge

Str: 18.75 | Dex: 12.25 | Sta: 16 | Con: 30.25 | Wis: 27 | Cha: 16.25

Bcuz a gewgull is rilly big!

Laura <3 Hopefully your issues get sorted and soon! 

Ohyuhz. lolz.

Thanks! Impatient Laura is impatient :P

I share this affliction.  It sure sucks.  I'd rather be able to hit every single session though, as a opposed to being gimped out for days or weeks at a time and unable to lift up my daughter...

Also, I vote for wearing headphones even without music.  I'm notorious for doing this at work when I don't want to talk to people (i.e. most of the time).

Ha! Brilliant! How I never thought of that is beyond me. Herp derp.

Detailed notes are very important. I prefer plain language to symbols and shortforms because it would take me longer to come up with a legend to annotate something like "failed one, two shaky lockouts but decent hip drive" than to just write that out. A week later when I review my notes, I wont need a translator...

Definitely. I forget most things so trying to remember what weird annotations mean is a recipe for failure.

This is a true sissy squat:

image001.jpg

but dem quadz

Or leave the cord hanging free to be extra obvious to people that you aren't listening to music, you just really don't want to talk to them.

Hearing gym stories makes me glad I workout at home.  Tons of people tell me that you can't make progress at home due to distractions/family/etc., or that if you don't train around other people who train you won't progress as far.  People bug me and I tend to feel better off alone, but I'm sure there is a lot of truth to all of that, too.

HA! I need to learn to be meaner, I think. I don't have the cajones to be like, "don't talk to me" but that is a beautifully passive aggressive way I think hahahaha unless they don't get it..which is possible...

Seriously, the older I get the less I like humans. It's troubling.

Just got back from an adjustment. I'm going to be in so much pain tomorrow. She adjusts my clavicles, y'all. Do you know how awful that is?!?! hahaha (Chaze, you and your easily moved clavicle don't count ;))

We talked about exercise and she answered somewhat unexpectedly.  She said that I should continue to work out but just listen to my body and probably lay off overhead movements. She said, over all, it's important to maintain as much of my normal functioning as possible and that maintaining muscle and strength to any extent I can is going to be beneficial for me. 

We talked a little about the difference between degenerative disc and herniated disc but got interrupted and I forgot to go back to it. I also forgot to ask about the timeline of this treatment, etc.  I'm going in tomorrow for a workshop so I'll try to get that stuff in then. 

I'm really not sure what to do next.  Honestly, I'm nervous about working out and further hurting myself but I can't really keep not working out because it's been about week since I felt like I had a good workout and I'm getting crabby.  Workouts keep me sane.  So yeah. Not sure. We'll see, I guess.

I'm taking this week kind of off anyway as I'm still not feeling well. Seriously, what's going on? I have no idea. The plus side: have not felt nauseated this morning. So, that's good. Slept poorly last night, too.

Food stuffs!

My macro ratio experiment is still underway but the data is surely skewed given everything going on. So, not sure what to make of it. Haven't done measurements or anything. However, definitely noticed an increase in my waist and hips the last couple days.  Possibly/probably bloat? Not going to worry about it right now.

I decided to go back to fasting more like I did before.  However long it was that I've been shortening my fast (maybe a monthish?) my body seems unhappy.  I noticed I got hungry way more often and also got HANGRY a lot like I used to.  Weird, right? So yeah, not a fan of the hanger or hunger.  I'm still not going to worry about extending it out too long (like today I got latte at 10) but fasting is my friend.

Lastly, ORGAN MEAT!  It's so good for you, right? Right. But it's super, ridiculously disgusting and creeps me out, right? Right.  So, read this article and I guess she got the idea from the Nourishing Traditions book (which we own but I find dense and boring so haven't read much). Brilliant way to get the benefits of liver without actually having to taste it.  The cutting it up part was super gross and took a lot of strength of stomach hahaha but I've been popping a few in the morning (forgot this morning :( ) so I'm hoping to see some benefits!

I got some grassfed marrow bones when I was getting my liver.. they were so beautiful. The broth I made is only ok. Not that tasty. I think maybe I added too much fresh tumeric. Damnit. But seriously, dem bonez.

I know I said I'm taking the week off but I did a little activity last night. Random sets of lunges and bw squats. Some supermans and my posture pro thing I'm supposed to do.  Good stuff.

I never replied before when you said you were cubing and taking the frozen liver. It's funny because that was one of the first thing I read with organ meats, and for whatever reason that's like a next-next step for me. Totally not cooked at all weirds me out, even though I eat sushi. And I eat steak rare to medium-rare. So I'd probably swallow those suckers then convince myself I had food poisoning. Every. Single. Day! :)

Liver is supposed to have one of the stronger flavors, but is milder with calf liver (I have cow liver). But heart is supposed to be really mild. So I'm excited to try it in SOMETHING. Soon. Probably will still be a ground up and added to ground beef deal. I also have a tongue, which I've heard is good slow-cooked, BUT post-cooking there's a gross step I won't mention here. :) 

And then the kidney. I know nada about the kidney flavor. 

As for everything else, sorry you're feeling hungry/hangry. That's how I feel if I force myself to fast! So we're opposite. Opposites attract! Some days I naturally fast, but the only way it's worked for me is starting in the afternoon, but stil having breakfast. I actually like that, leaves my nights more free! 

I slept for crap last night. So I loaded up on vitamin D first thing this morning. And will do melatonin kind of early tonight. I feel like my clock's jacked up again - like I don't want to fall asleep until 2AM. I hate that. It happens so randomly/suddenly for me. And I think it's because I was up so late Saturday, so I slept in Sunday. It's like it takes one day to undo all of my progress! It's hell getting old! :) 

Does your broth smell weird/unappetizing? If so, next time grate a little ginger in, if you have some (dry might work, too). When I was learning to make pho, I read the reason they use ginger in beef pho and not chicken is because the beef bones put off an unappetizing smell that transfers to taste, and ginger masks/removes that smell. If you can get them, I LOVE shin bones! And oxtail. But I think you said you're not there, yet. I swear it's not freaky at all once you're looking at it. Chicken feet definitely more, "Oh man. These are FEET!" :) 

Keep up what you're doing with the docs and whatnot. And good luck figuring out a routine you like (see below for my favorite "routine") that doesn't hurt. I bet knowing the difference between herniated and degenerative will help you figure out what you're most comfortable with. You'll get there! 

tumblr_lgrtk6nrkq1qh17feo1_400.gif

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

2" washers for smaller weight increases

That's funny because I couldn't remember if I told y'all!   I let my liver thaw a little too much while I was cutting it and it was so disgusting. I mean. SO disgusting. I got beef liver, too.

the good thing is that I can't taste it at all. It's just cold. So woot! I was worried. 

I'll look for shin! I think I could handle oxtail now... now that I use feet on the regular the oxtail doesn't seem nearly as creepy hahaha

It's just a little.. off? It's hard to say. Boyf used up a whole bag of frozen onion in his last batch (I don't put my scraps in single serving bags, I just fill 'em until I can't anymore so you kinda have to dig out what you want) before I could tell him not to, so I was lacking in the onion department.  I also put a lot of carrot and celery.  I wonder if using so little onion messed with it?  I do add ginger, too, since you told us about that.  I love some ginger! 

Ha! Amazing! That will be the routine I do from now on, obviously. How I missed it before is beyond me!

Just got back from an adjustment. I'm going to be in so much pain tomorrow. She adjusts my clavicles, y'all. Do you know how awful that is?!?! hahaha (Chaze, you and your easily moved clavicle don't count ;))

As soon as I read this I thought "That is a thing that they do?!"  That sounds soooo wonderful.

I used to dream of going to a chiro all of the time because I had a really bad back and all of those poppy brutal adjustments seemed like they would break me in just the right way.  I had non-progressive scoliosis at such a young age that my rib cage finished developing crooked.  Plus my wonky shoulders didn't help anything.  Physical therapist said that I over-utilized my traps to compensate for a lot of things which led to underdeveloped delts and all kinds of other stuff.  Lifting fixed everything for me, at least in terms of discomfort.  I always forget I had any back pain until I take a week or more off of lifting because the pain comes back, like a couple weeks ago when I had teh sick.  It's just another good reason to work out.

I'd still like to see a chiro, just so little time for it and I'd probably become an addict.

Aiel Rebel

Current Challenge

Str: 18.75 | Dex: 12.25 | Sta: 16 | Con: 30.25 | Wis: 27 | Cha: 16.25

As soon as I read this I thought "That is a thing that they do?!"  That sounds soooo wonderful.

I used to dream of going to a chiro all of the time because I had a really bad back and all of those poppy brutal adjustments seemed like they would break me in just the right way.  I had non-progressive scoliosis at such a young age that my rib cage finished developing crooked.  Plus my wonky shoulders didn't help anything.  Physical therapist said that I over-utilized my traps to compensate for a lot of things which led to underdeveloped delts and all kinds of other stuff.  Lifting fixed everything for me, at least in terms of discomfort.  I always forget I had any back pain until I take a week or more off of lifting because the pain comes back, like a couple weeks ago when I had teh sick.  It's just another good reason to work out.

I'd still like to see a chiro, just so little time for it and I'd probably become an addict.

Ha! It's new to me, actually. I didn't realize it was a thing either.  She's only done it a couple of times.  She also used the little gun thing on them. I was all D: the entire time. Trying to remain relaxed when someone is throwing their weight onto your clavicles is hard. 

But seriously, it's really, really amazing. You'd definitely end up addicted hahahaha

I did an espom soak and some good stretching so I'm not as sore as usual. Woot!

Lifting fixed everything for me, at least in terms of discomfort.  

Me too.  

I loved loved loved my chiro but my work schedule doesn't match his anymore.  He did craniosacral therapy too; I still have dreams about getting my neck adjusted and the cranial adjustments.  Man it feels awesome afterward.  I was super picky in finding my chiro, though, and now that I work with people who have seen lots of adjustment-related injuries I'm even pickier :/  

I can't wait to lift again. Tempted to do some light barbell work tomorrow. We'll see how I feel, though. 

My hands and arm are almost entirely tingle free now. Still get it when I sit in a weird position but I'm definitely improved. Hooray!  Road to wellness!

Better news (maybe-I should meet with her first-jumpin' the gun much?) but I found a physician in the Paleo Physicians Network who's close to me and in network. Say whaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!  She does general internal medicine, hormone stuff, thyroid stuff, and.. wait for it... SPORTS MEDICINE! 

Seriously. It's almost too good to be true.  I can't wait to see her. I'm not sure if I should go see her now or wait until... I need a doctor? Then again, I guess if I had a doctor I liked I would probably still be consulting him re this issue. But, as it stands, I'm pretty much going to see where my chiro leads.

I can't wait to lift again. Tempted to do some light barbell work tomorrow. We'll see how I feel, though. 

My hands and arm are almost entirely tingle free now. Still get it when I sit in a weird position but I'm definitely improved. Hooray!  Road to wellness!

Better news (maybe-I should meet with her first-jumpin' the gun much?) but I found a physician in the Paleo Physicians Network who's close to me and in network. Say whaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!  She does general internal medicine, hormone stuff, thyroid stuff, and.. wait for it... SPORTS MEDICINE! 

Seriously. It's almost too good to be true.  I can't wait to see her. I'm not sure if I should go see her now or wait until... I need a doctor? Then again, I guess if I had a doctor I liked I would probably still be consulting him re this issue. But, as it stands, I'm pretty much going to see where my chiro leads.