Hermy G's Super Fantastic Between Challenge Workout Log of Silliness!

DEEP TISSUE MASSAGE!! 

Also I hope that the "stuff" that happened wasn't the barbell falling on your face. I'm sure it wasn't. But that's what I thought first. 

Also, for whatever reason I came across this today and it's not a gif and not related, but I laughed when I read it, so here you go, friend. Good life advice, I guess. 

tumblr_mgz2d84xtr1s2rubxo1_500.jpg

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

2" washers for smaller weight increases

DEEP TISSUE MASSAGE!! 

Also I hope that the "stuff" that happened wasn't the barbell falling on your face. I'm sure it wasn't. But that's what I thought first. 

Also, for whatever reason I came across this today and it's not a gif and not related, but I laughed when I read it, so here you go, friend. Good life advice, I guess. 

Ditto on the deep tissue massage.  Yay!

This girl is the best thing about that movie! So funny!

DEEP TISSUE MASSAGE!! 

Yeah, the massage was ok.  I don't think she was a great masseuse. I also think they didn't think I knew what I was asking for. I was like, "brutalize me" but yeah. Anyhow, definitely better but not as improved as I hoped.  I'll keep searching.

Nah, it was related to the other stuff, nothing lift related.

BAHAHAHA that just cracks me up!

I keep meaning to do some Ab Ripper X in the evenings...hasn't happened yet.

Yay workout! I am jealous of all your lifts.

Throw a little in at the end of your workout!!

Me?! Mine?!  d'awwwwww shucks! thanks :D  I feel like I've been lifting the same weights for years. haha

Ditto on the deep tissue massage.  Yay!

This girl is the best thing about that movie! So funny!

i"m ashamed to say.. what movie is this? 

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Oh shoot! You're the one who hasn't seen Pitch Perfect! It's from Pitch Perfect. Sorry. I think you even said you intend to see it soon. I'm a bad friend/rememberer. 

oOoh! Now I really need to see it!

Oh god, Ab ripper X, I hate that program...err..well it hates my abs. When I was doing p 90x a few years ago I skipped that part very often. 

Hahaha I find myself thinking, "Ooh, that looks painful. I should do that." a little too often...

I found you! Subbed so I don't miss anything. 

Yay!!!

4/20/13

Squats:

bwx5

65x3

80x2

95x1

100x1

105x5

105x5

105x5

These were ok. Not my best work. The last rep was definitely good morningish.

Rack Pulls:

180x6

180x6

180x6

Dips:

3 (PR)

Boyf joined me at the gym so I took a longer than normal break between pulls and dips (to help him with squats). I'm pretty sure that's where the pr came from, but whatever, I'm owning it. PR, mothafuckas!

Core Finisher:

Mountain Climbers

In-Out

Superman

Plank

3 rounds, 30 seconds each

did the core finisher as a 2 birds, 1 stone kinda thing. it was way worse than last time. rack pulls + core finisher = hell no.

Like I said, Boyf joined me at the gym for some quality time.  He's doing this ridonk HIIT thing that involves 10 sets x 10 reps and you decrease the rest each week (60->50->40, etc). 

He has some mobility issues we've been working on for a while and he figured while we were there he'd see if I could look at his squats. We did a little work and improved his squat a bunch.  I was pretty excited, as was he. 

Taking a lighter week this week. Thinking I'll work 80-85% of my estimated max.

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost

Oh, and forgot to add my measurements (which I'll be recording here for now on):

4/7/13 (end of last challenge)

Weight: 169.3

Shoulder: ~37.5

Chest: 36.75-37

Above Navel: 31.5

At Navel: 35

Below Navel: 38

Hips: 40.5

Butt: 41.5

Thighs: 24

LBH: 11.75; LBF: 12.25.

RBH: 11.5; RBF: 11.75

this is pre lady business

4/21/13

Weight: 166.2

Shoulder: 37.5 (made new note for accuracy: at collarbone)

Chest: 36

Waist at Narrowest (slightly above my "above" measurement): 31

Above Navel: 31.5

At Navel: 35.5

Below Navel: 38

Hips: 39.75

Butt: 42 (new accuracy note: made sure measurement was at biggest)

Thighs: 24

LBH: 12; LBF: 12.25

RBH: 11.25; RBF: 11.5

So, lost some of the water weight but the amount lost is pretty much exactly what I'd expect to lose before and after lady business.  The rest of the weight, which is up from March (163) and February (158) is confusing me.

Also confusing: the increase of my navel measurement given my weight loss. WTF?

I'm going through a very, "what should I do" thing right now.  I've basically seen little to no progress in my measurements in a very long time.  Last time I felt like I was seeing progress was last summer, pre injury.  Crazy work season is high stress and high activity, but food definitely wasn't out of control enough for me to have gained weight.

Maybe I didn't eat enough? 

It's been 2+ weeks since that ended so maybe my body is just taking its sweet time getting back to normal?

Also, (warning: emo crap ahead) suffering through some pretty serious depression right now that started with a fairly traumatic event (god, that sounds so fn dramatic).  Normally, I wouldn't really put all that out here but I feel like it is seriously affecting my body's state of being.

Other notes:

I increased my food intake during the early stages of CWS and did start seeing, or feeling like I was seeing, some slight improvements.   I'm forever battling with the "how much do I need to eat" issue. 

so, if any of you have any ideas of things I could note or advice,etc given the above, I'd appreciate it.    My plan, as it stands, is to continue on with this recomp (oh, btw, doing LG recomp) until after the SSS (or after I test my maxes, assuming I still participate) then move to a cut.

Honestly, I'm concerned a cut may negatively affect me given my current situation.

I've shortened my fast, too.  I was noticing the depression was getting really bad during the last couple hours of my fast (and that i immediately felt better when I ate).

Food stats:

Workout day: 2400 cal; 329 carbs; 49 fat; 160+ pro

Rest day: 1600 cal; 59 carb; 80 fat; 160+ pro

lately, on rest days, I've had trouble getting my protein so I usually end up hitting somewhere between 140-160. According to my math 140 is ~.8g of protein per pound of body weight (which, if I understand correctly, is ok). my fat is usually higher, especially when protein doesn't reach 160. 

Huzzah dip PR, those things are friggin hard!  That huzzah also works for helping the BF out with squat form.... No wait, screw it, that deserves it's own huzzah as well.  Huzzah!!!  By the way, that 10 sets of 10 thing sounds freaking horrible.  I'm whining over five sets of ten with all the rest I want.   

The food thing, I have no advice, in fact, I'm searching for a lot of the same answers as you.  I'm eating at a deficit from what one calculator says I should have, another one says I'm about 1,000 calories short of what my "actual deficit" should be, so maybe I should eat more, but that goes against everything I've ever heard in my life.  But then there is this info, then there is that new idea... 

things-that-blew-your-mind-when-you-were

I'm having to force myself to do one thing for at least a month and see what happens.  It's all I know to do these days.  

The path to Swolehalla is paved with a lot of Swolehate, and you won't get there without being Swole of Spirit too.

Race: Fiendish Blue Extension Cord

Class: Warrior
Links:  MFP  Battle Log  Current Challenge

Ha, no kidding!  And I feel like I keep getting interrupted so my data is always skewed. Frustrating!

I keep meaning to ask, but think I know, the LBEB folks, did they offer any dietary advice?

Ha, no kidding!  And I feel like I keep getting interrupted so my data is always skewed. Frustrating!

I keep meaning to ask, but think I know, the LBEB folks, did they offer any dietary advice?

Not really, but I never asked either, so once again, I have no helpful advice for you, sorry...  

The path to Swolehalla is paved with a lot of Swolehate, and you won't get there without being Swole of Spirit too.

Race: Fiendish Blue Extension Cord

Class: Warrior
Links:  MFP  Battle Log  Current Challenge

I'm the worst person to ask about food. I STILL can't consistently lose. I lose a bunch (by a bunch I mean 1 - 1 1/2 pounds - LOL, how quickly your baseline changes when you can't lose at all!) one week, then the next week or two I stall again. Then all of a sudden I drop another pound or two. I don't really get it. My maintenance if I'm sedentary is supposed to be around 2,100 calories, I think. And even with working out and eating around 1700-1800, I never lost any weight. I have to get down to 1500, which is really the bottom of where I can be realistically. And I think more realistic at my weight is actually closer to 1600. And that's when I'm really trying to restrict carbs enough to keep my appetite under control. 

Soooo....... Clearly for me, my metabolism is shot. You'd think a 200lb girl eating 1500-1600 calories a day and working out fairly hard 3-4X per week, the weight would drop off easily! (I think most people in my life think I have a hidden binge eating problem I won't reveal. I swear I don't.) Anyway, that said, I THINK I got myself in this mess not with bad eating or yo-yo dieting (as most people say) but with stress, lack of sleep, and too much caffeine. So I definitely think stress and depression can contribute. I've heard of some people having better luck losing doing kind of an up and down eating thing. Eat less for 3 weeks, then for 2-4 days eat a lot more. Then go back to cutting. For me, that's always been a recipe for disaster. I get up near 1800-2000 for 2-4 days and suddenly my body thinks it's hit the lottery and it takes me 2-4 weeks of misery to get back to 1500. That's why I try to keep my cheats to 1-1 1/2 days. Too much more and my body expects it. So, that's also why I suspect my body's screwed up. And I'm not totally sure eating less is good for it. But it's brought me the only weight loss success I've seen.

Alright, that said, I have read a lot about cortisol and cutting and carb restricting, etc. And some people say cutting carbs helps get cortisol under control. Others say it makes it worse. So there's evidently some evidence the cortisol stuff with a cut can be made worse. Robb Wolf suggested something like this once, which is why I increased calories and focused more on sleep. That's when I gained weight.  :nightmare:

So despite some advice sayign it's not a good idea, I actually feel the best on lower-carbs, and have been sleeping better. BUT, I've also read for those who need to lose weight (do you? I don't know what your goals are - is recomp losing weight, or just fat?), doing low carb is good until the weight is near normal. Then you raise the carb level, lower the fats. So for me, my goal is less than 80g per day now. Once (in five years at this rate!) I get to a healthy weight, I'll increase carbs to 100-150 range. And decrease my fats. ALLEGEDLY this is a good plan. Although by the time I get there, who knows what wil be suggested!

I feel like I'm rambling and talking in circles, because this is what calorie/macro counting does to me. So many theories. And it's so hard to know. The only advice I have is to try a few different things for at least 2 weeks (longer if you can do it) and see what makes you feel best. For me, right now, I think my best spot is 80g or less of carbs per day (although I hardly toy with it on purpose because it's hard to get that low, there are days I fall in keto range, which I'm actually avoiding as part of what I've decided is MY plan). And my biggest goal? Sleep. I think that's improved everything (outlook, focus, everything) the most. And I feel like, for me, that's my key to success now. And 'm getting better at sleeping. And better at avoiding anxiety the best I can.

I don't think that helps. But if number of words show my care, then at least that counts for something! 

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

I absolutely do not want to be a spoilsport and full disclosure, I have never tried to do LG so I don't know what it's like AT ALL, but I did see this article about how for some women, it's simple not optimal. Not trying to overwhelm you with info, but FWIW:

http://breakingmuscle.com/nutrition/train-man-eat-woman

Otherwise, HECK YES DIP PR!!! 

Not really, but I never asked either, so once again, I have no helpful advice for you, sorry...  

lols. Damn you, Max! I kid, I kid :)

I'm the worst person to ask about food. I STILL can't consistently lose. I lose a bunch (by a bunch I mean 1 - 1 1/2 pounds - LOL, how quickly your baseline changes when you can't lose at all!) one week, then the next week or two I stall again. Then all of a sudden I drop another pound or two. I don't really get it. My maintenance if I'm sedentary is supposed to be around 2,100 calories, I think. And even with working out and eating around 1700-1800, I never lost any weight. I have to get down to 1500, which is really the bottom of where I can be realistically. And I think more realistic at my weight is actually closer to 1600. And that's when I'm really trying to restrict carbs enough to keep my appetite under control. 

Soooo....... Clearly for me, my metabolism is shot. You'd think a 200lb girl eating 1500-1600 calories a day and working out fairly hard 3-4X per week, the weight would drop off easily! (I think most people in my life think I have a hidden binge eating problem I won't reveal. I swear I don't.) Anyway, that said, I THINK I got myself in this mess not with bad eating or yo-yo dieting (as most people say) but with stress, lack of sleep, and too much caffeine. So I definitely think stress and depression can contribute. I've heard of some people having better luck losing doing kind of an up and down eating thing. Eat less for 3 weeks, then for 2-4 days eat a lot more. Then go back to cutting. For me, that's always been a recipe for disaster. I get up near 1800-2000 for 2-4 days and suddenly my body thinks it's hit the lottery and it takes me 2-4 weeks of misery to get back to 1500. That's why I try to keep my cheats to 1-1 1/2 days. Too much more and my body expects it. So, that's also why I suspect my body's screwed up. And I'm not totally sure eating less is good for it. But it's brought me the only weight loss success I've seen.

Alright, that said, I have read a lot about cortisol and cutting and carb restricting, etc. And some people say cutting carbs helps get cortisol under control. Others say it makes it worse. So there's evidently some evidence the cortisol stuff with a cut can be made worse. Robb Wolf suggested something like this once, which is why I increased calories and focused more on sleep. That's when I gained weight.  :nightmare:

So despite some advice sayign it's not a good idea, I actually feel the best on lower-carbs, and have been sleeping better. BUT, I've also read for those who need to lose weight (do you? I don't know what your goals are - is recomp losing weight, or just fat?), doing low carb is good until the weight is near normal. Then you raise the carb level, lower the fats. So for me, my goal is less than 80g per day now. Once (in five years at this rate!) I get to a healthy weight, I'll increase carbs to 100-150 range. And decrease my fats. ALLEGEDLY this is a good plan. Although by the time I get there, who knows what wil be suggested!

I feel like I'm rambling and talking in circles, because this is what calorie/macro counting does to me. So many theories. And it's so hard to know. The only advice I have is to try a few different things for at least 2 weeks (longer if you can do it) and see what makes you feel best. For me, right now, I think my best spot is 80g or less of carbs per day (although I hardly toy with it on purpose because it's hard to get that low, there are days I fall in keto range, which I'm actually avoiding as part of what I've decided is MY plan). And my biggest goal? Sleep. I think that's improved everything (outlook, focus, everything) the most. And I feel like, for me, that's my key to success now. And 'm getting better at sleeping. And better at avoiding anxiety the best I can.

I don't think that helps. But if number of words show my care, then at least that counts for something! 

Well, that's the interesting thing... I don't really know if I need to lose weight.  I've been as low as 148 (when I fought) but I was 100% skinny fat.  When I was hovering around 158 I was pretty pleased and hoped a recomp would get me more muscle so then I could do a cut and lose some more fat.  The loss of fat is definitely the goal.  And it's all my hips and waist really (oh, and my fat arm, just the one).  I want to get rid of the muffin top.  And that's partly what makes me think there's something cortisolly going on here.  That's all where this stuff is hanging out.  My thighs have remained consistent, my skinny arm: consistent.

Sleep has been better since I started taking supplements (which I have some more notes about), caffeine I need to lower as it got pretty high during CWS, so I think that'll help. 

I'm with you on the lower for a few weeks, higher for a couple thing. My body doesn't like it.  That's why the macro cycling was pretty good (eat lots one day, then less another). But I'm thinking of, in the near future, evening out my calories and focusing on more of a weekly total... but that's for a later date...

I think my next try will be something where I do lower carb. It's just a matter of figuring out if I should continue to cycle or just do something similar to what AJ suggested to Mir in another thread (5 days lower cal/carb, 2 day refeed ~maintenance level cal). HMMMMMM

And no, it actually is helpful! It's always helpful for me to see others thoughts laid out nicely.  For me, everything gets so jumbled...

Oh, and IIRC, PrincessHeather mentioned in a thread that her hormones were a little wacky and that's why she's never cut (though from what I saw on her chin up video cut is totes not necessary!).  PH, am I remembering correctly?  Thoughts? :D

I absolutely do not want to be a spoilsport and full disclosure, I have never tried to do LG so I don't know what it's like AT ALL, but I did see this article about how for some women, it's simple not optimal. Not trying to overwhelm you with info, but FWIW:

http://breakingmuscle.com/nutrition/train-man-eat-woman

Otherwise, HECK YES DIP PR!!! 

Ha! I totally was just like, "PH, thoughts?"

I've actually read that article, and a few others.  It breaks my heart to hear some women have such a terrible time with it. BUT the information is good and I keep it in the back of my mind.   It is part of the reason I've started cutting my fasting window.

The only difference for me is I've had these troubles since before IF.  I got only a brief amount of success from it (and that was likely the whoosh effect of lowering carbs) so yeah.. just not sure what's going on!

But also: definitely going to get my hormone levels tested, too. 

And I"m considering a fitbit. 

body, y u so weird?

Hey, found ya!

Lots of awesomeness going on here to talk about, but I'll just stick to one bit of potential relevance I have from reading through all of this.

I've been taking ZMA for probably almost a year now with the occasional week or two off here and there.  As far offering direct strength gains, I doubt it.  But, it does increase T levels somewhat, which in turn has its own effects that would include assisting in gaining strength.

Also, I notice that I sleep differently when I'm on it than when I'm not.  It doesn't make me drowsy so I don't fall asleep any easier with it or have trouble waking up from it, but it does seem to make my sleep better quality.  6-8 hours of sleep feels more like 8-10.  Which aids in recovery and that's all good for your workouts.  And my dreams are much more vivid than without, especially when I first started taking it.  I don't get the crazy deep zinc dreams as often anymore, but it happens.

The one downside (which probably doesn't apply to many people beyond me) is that it makes it difficult to really hibernate like I used to.  If I am good at anything, it is sleeping.  I used to have to set my alarm on my days off (before kids, obviously) or I could easily sleep 12 hours or beyond.  So whenever I try to have a 12-hour sleep extravaganza, the ZMA usually makes it so I am up after 8 hours and can't fall back asleep because my body thinks it's already slept 12.

So yeah, I've tried a bunch of stuff and ZMA is one of three things I've found that I can absolutely tell if I've ingested or not.  But, as always, YMMV.

Aiel Rebel

Current Challenge

Str: 18.75 | Dex: 12.25 | Sta: 16 | Con: 30.25 | Wis: 27 | Cha: 16.25

Hey, found ya!

Lots of awesomeness going on here to talk about, but I'll just stick to one bit of potential relevance I have from reading through all of this.

I've been taking ZMA for probably almost a year now with the occasional week or two off here and there.  As far offering direct strength gains, I doubt it.  But, it does increase T levels somewhat, which in turn has its own effects that would include assisting in gaining strength.

Also, I notice that I sleep differently when I'm on it than when I'm not.  It doesn't make me drowsy so I don't fall asleep any easier with it or have trouble waking up from it, but it does seem to make my sleep better quality.  6-8 hours of sleep feels more like 8-10.  Which aids in recovery and that's all good for your workouts.  And my dreams are much more vivid than without, especially when I first started taking it.  I don't get the crazy deep zinc dreams as often anymore, but it happens.

The one downside (which probably doesn't apply to many people beyond me) is that it makes it difficult to really hibernate like I used to.  If I am good at anything, it is sleeping.  I used to have to set my alarm on my days off (before kids, obviously) or I could easily sleep 12 hours or beyond.  So whenever I try to have a 12-hour sleep extravaganza, the ZMA usually makes it so I am up after 8 hours and can't fall back asleep because my body thinks it's already slept 12.

So yeah, I've tried a bunch of stuff and ZMA is one of three things I've found that I can absolutely tell if I've ingested or not.  But, as always, YMMV.

Woot!

th_HappyDance.gif

What you've said here is pretty much exactly what I've noticed.  I was reading this article on AoM (I think Kdub mentioned it... I was looking for man salad) that has to do with increasing testosterone naturally and they mention the zma (or, at least, zinc-magnesium supplementation) as a way to increase the T.  I think the benefits of the increased T are what I'm seeing.  Obviously, I'm a lady, so T is naturally lower... but I've long suspected I have exceptionally low T levels (really need to get some testing done).  

I stopped taking it for a couple days and yesterday's workout was terrible.  I'm sure other things are at play there, but I find it interesting that Saturday's was rough (no zma a day or two before hand) and yesterday's was the pits.  

I've long had issues with recovery (which may be related to my sleep issues) but I definitely felt more recovered, which, like you said, is likely because when I take ZMA I sleep hard.  I've never been a hibernator so I don't notice a difference there... sleeping in to me is 7:30 am :P 

Otherwise, (and this is slightly tmi-fair warning) but there is a definite upsurge in the libido. I notice because that's really not my M.O.

The other part of the ZMA that may be helping me is the extra B vitamins.  Apparently, when under a great deal of stress and/or depressed they deplete (this is information I'm vaguely recalling from a conversation in which someone told me this is what they read  so take it with big ol' grain of salt as I've yet to do the research on this part).. faster, more, something. Anyhow, the boost is probably helping me there, too. 

The only other thing I want to look into is how to cycle supplementation.  I have lots of sleep issues so I really don't like to not take anything on week nights (then I get anxious about if I'm going to have trouble sleeping and then I think about how tired I'll be at work or that I'll go in to work late and blah blah blah, damn anxiety), but I do like to take the weekends off.  In my mind that helps me not become so immune, if you will... but i'm not sure that's even close to how it works.   I also like to cycle my supplements (so I started taking zma so I could lay off the natural calm) so maybe that will continue to work.  I've heard taking a whole week (like during a deload) off is good.. but yeah, that idea makes me nervous.

Well, there's another addition to Laura's Nonsensical Ramblings! Woo!

Let's talk workout:

4/22/13

Squat:

bwx5

65x3

80x1

90x1

95x4

87.5x5

87.5x4

lols, what?

My intention was to work at 80-85% of my estimated max, which is about 95. However, 95 felt like 115. Whaaaaaat.

Lowered it, 87.5 was still really rough but I just wanted to do some damn squats and move on.

Bench:

65x9

80x5

80x6

80x7

Just working on form here. got to work out during the day so the gym was mostly empty. huzzah, no bros hogging the bench!  read up on some bench form tips given to me by various awesome nerds and I feel like it was a lot better.  I didn't get to take video b/c my phone was dying, but next time! yay!

Seated Row:

90x8

90x8

90x7

I think 90... 85 with two of those weird little weights on top.  usually work around 100 and this was still a little heavy. I'll get a handle on these deload weeks if it kills me

DB Walking Lunges:

25x10

25x10

25x10

weight is per hand, 10 is total lunges, not per leg.

TKE:

12 each

My knees have been achy.  My right knee, which is not the previously injured knee, has been really, really achy. I'm going to talk to my chiro about some ART so I can just skip the whole tendonitis BS. 

and I realized it had been way too long since I've done these. bad laura!

DB Front Shoulder Raise:

10x8

10x8

Weight per hand x reps

DB Side Shoulder Raise:

12x10

12x10

same as above

DB Wrist Curls:

8x10

8x10

same as above

Since I was feeling really achy and tired I skipped the finisher. 

And, I think I bruised a trainer's ego.  While I've never really talked to this trainer (b/c he's skeevy) we did get to the point at which we'd smile and nod... you know, be polite. Anyhow, the other day he was training some guy on the hack press next to the squat rack I was using.  I'm not sure what all was said b/c 1. I had my noise cancelling headphones in and 2. I don't remember.  But it worked out to him saying something like, "So, are you going to let me bring you through a workout?" annnnnnnnd, I didn't mean to be so flippant, but I definitely scoffed and said, "No."   He asked why and I told him it'd mess with my program. 

I mean, that is true but also he's a perv and, I'm never going to sign up for training so why waste a good workout day?

Anyhow, saw him yesterday and he wouldn't.even.look.at.me. 

I mean, WOW. Talk about a fragile ego.  So sad.

Woot!

th_HappyDance.gif

What you've said here is pretty much exactly what I've noticed.  I was reading this article on AoM (I think Kdub mentioned it... I was looking for man salad) that has to do with increasing testosterone naturally and they mention the zma (or, at least, zinc-magnesium supplementation) as a way to increase the T.  I think the benefits of the increased T are what I'm seeing.  Obviously, I'm a lady, so T is naturally lower... but I've long suspected I have exceptionally low T levels (really need to get some testing done).  

I stopped taking it for a couple days and yesterday's workout was terrible.  I'm sure other things are at play there, but I find it interesting that Saturday's was rough (no zma a day or two before hand) and yesterday's was the pits.  

I've long had issues with recovery (which may be related to my sleep issues) but I definitely felt more recovered, which, like you said, is likely because when I take ZMA I sleep hard.  I've never been a hibernator so I don't notice a difference there... sleeping in to me is 7:30 am :tongue:

Otherwise, (and this is slightly tmi-fair warning) but there is a definite upsurge in the libido. I notice because that's really not my M.O.

The other part of the ZMA that may be helping me is the extra B vitamins.  Apparently, when under a great deal of stress and/or depressed they deplete (this is information I'm vaguely recalling from a conversation in which someone told me this is what they read  so take it with big ol' grain of salt as I've yet to do the research on this part).. faster, more, something. Anyhow, the boost is probably helping me there, too. 

The only other thing I want to look into is how to cycle supplementation.  I have lots of sleep issues so I really don't like to not take anything on week nights (then I get anxious about if I'm going to have trouble sleeping and then I think about how tired I'll be at work or that I'll go in to work late and blah blah blah, damn anxiety), but I do like to take the weekends off.  In my mind that helps me not become so immune, if you will... but i'm not sure that's even close to how it works.   I also like to cycle my supplements (so I started taking zma so I could lay off the natural calm) so maybe that will continue to work.  I've heard taking a whole week (like during a deload) off is good.. but yeah, that idea makes me nervous.

Well, there's another addition to Laura's Nonsensical Ramblings! Woo!

Made perfect sense to me.

As far as cycling goes, I've pretty much given up on anything that requires cycling.  Which all I can think of off the top of my head is creatine, and the supplement guy told me not even to cycle that or worry about pre-loading anyway.  Everyone talks about the stuff but for whatever reason I couldn't tell a difference.  I take ZMA every time before bed but I only sleep 5 times a week, so I guess it's kind of the same thing.  But if I slept every night, I would take it every night and not at all if I take a rest week.

Have you ever tried glutamine?  That stuff is awesome for recovery.  It is the second supplement that I can actually tell if I took it or not just by feeling alone.

The only other supplement that I can absolutely feel the difference on is a T booster.  I really don't know how it effects females but there is a definite increase in my general feeling of well-being along with the libido upsurge (which really kind of is my M.O. so probably isn't all that necessary, but it doesn't hurt).  It's also supposed to be an estrogen blocker and have all of those good muscle-related effects of testosterone, and, while it seems to work, those effects are less obvious.  Kind of like fish oil: I take it because it's supposed to be really good for you, but who knows (and I can get like a gajillion pills for $5 at Costco).  I have heard, however, that a lot of people who took this product also don't feel that they got much benefit out of creatine and it is suspected that the reason is because this is so effective that the creatine pales in comparison.  Who knows.

And, I think I bruised a trainer's ego.  While I've never really talked to this trainer (b/c he's skeevy) we did get to the point at which we'd smile and nod... you know, be polite. Anyhow, the other day he was training some guy on the hack press next to the squat rack I was using.  I'm not sure what all was said b/c 1. I had my noise cancelling headphones in and 2. I don't remember.  But it worked out to him saying something like, "So, are you going to let me bring you through a workout?" annnnnnnnd, I didn't mean to be so flippant, but I definitely scoffed and said, "No."   He asked why and I told him it'd mess with my program. 

I mean, that is true but also he's a perv and, I'm never going to sign up for training so why waste a good workout day?

Anyhow, saw him yesterday and he wouldn't.even.look.at.me. 

I mean, WOW. Talk about a fragile ego.  So sad.

This is awesome and hilarious, btw.

Aiel Rebel

Current Challenge

Str: 18.75 | Dex: 12.25 | Sta: 16 | Con: 30.25 | Wis: 27 | Cha: 16.25

Bah, bad squat day. Next time! And yay, bench improvement!

And hey, if bruising the fragile ego of the skeevy trainer means he won't try to interact with you anymore, no great loss.

Yes! I'm really excited to see how bench improves. Also, I love that I've properly shortened the ROM for it.. b/c sweet fn jesus I have long arms.

Right? I'm obviously devastated :)

Made perfect sense to me.

As far as cycling goes, I've pretty much given up on anything that requires cycling.  Which all I can think of off the top of my head is creatine, and the supplement guy told me not even to cycle that or worry about pre-loading anyway.  Everyone talks about the stuff but for whatever reason I couldn't tell a difference.  I take ZMA every time before bed but I only sleep 5 times a week, so I guess it's kind of the same thing.  But if I slept every night, I would take it every night and not at all if I take a rest week.

Have you ever tried glutamine?  That stuff is awesome for recovery.  It is the second supplement that I can actually tell if I took it or not just by feeling alone.

The only other supplement that I can absolutely feel the difference on is a T booster.  I really don't know how it effects females but there is a definite increase in my general feeling of well-being along with the libido upsurge (which really kind of is my M.O. so probably isn't all that necessary, but it doesn't hurt).  It's also supposed to be an estrogen blocker and have all of those good muscle-related effects of testosterone, and, while it seems to work, those effects are less obvious.  Kind of like fish oil: I take it because it's supposed to be really good for you, but who knows (and I can get like a gajillion pills for $5 at Costco).  I have heard, however, that a lot of people who took this product also don't feel that they got much benefit out of creatine and it is suspected that the reason is because this is so effective that the creatine pales in comparison.  Who knows.

This is awesome and hilarious, btw.

It really took me a minute to get the bolded part haha but then I remembered late night thread parties.

I haven't. I think we have some but I've never tried it.  Honestly, if it weren't for sleep benefits I doubt I'd ever try anything hahaha My goal in life: sleep well (or so it would seem).  I might try it, though. 

Ha, yeah I think I probably won't try the T booster... I'm not sure I want that much T enhancement hahaha

I need to work on my poker face... I'm a little to obvious with my feelings :P

I don't know anything about anything you're taking. BUT, I can say that for me, taking melatonin was almost like magic. And everyone says it's not habit forming, but I feel like I've developed a not-good relationship with it because I LOVE the sleeping SO MUCH. After going to  many years on crappy sleep to finally sleep (and not feel crappy the next day) was amazing. Decided to take a break from it this weekend. And stil haven't taken any this week. And my sleeping sucks. So I need to do more research on that. Honestly, I'd rather have crappy sleep than be dependent on anything, but it's hard to pass up with it sitting right there saying, "For a good night's sleep, call me." And I want to call. 

Your hormone levels definitely could be affecting your success at losing weight, or causing you to hold weight in certain areas. But that's as much as I know about that. :)

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

Mmm, I tried melatonin and, for whatever reason, it didn't do anything for me :(   Good sleep is addictive. the substance may not be... but getting good sleep is. At least to me.

Side note: i just reread the article about IF.  I had read it a long time ago (along with one that's a little less inflammatory) and I forgot how much it pissed me off.  I hate wide generalizations like, "if you didn't have an eating disorder before IF you will after."  My eating is not disordered. My caffeine intake is not higher because of IF (actually, lower since I don't drink tea anymore b/c tea on an empty stomach makes me sick). My hormones actually evened out when I started IF.  Lady business got super regular, pms lessened, etc.  

Could my body be sick of IF? Maybe. Could these extenuating circumstances be negatively affecting it? Maybe. But that article is just full of angry propaganda  bs.  Pisses. me. off.

There are ways to write about the possible negative side effects without being a gigantic twat. ugh.

Sorry... I forgot how angry I got last time I read it...

(PH, I promise my annoyance isn't with you or your sharing of the article. it's 100% for how the article is written)

Some stuff I read when researching IF and insulin resistance was kind of negative, too. But I actually ended up doing an opposite IF. Starting in the late afternoon and going until the next morning. Most nights I do a 14 our fast. Not a lot, but way more than I ever thought I could before. Now, if I'm starving or dinner's late or whatever, I'm not super-anal about it. But I think, for me, it worked. The AM stuff made me a little crazy, but I think I just needed to get adapted to it when I was off work, which is why I chose to start my fast earlier in the evening and break it same time in the morning. It was actually an easy shift. And focusing on eating dinner earlier actually helped a LOT with my afternoon cravings. Having those three meals a little closer together did something with keeping me full longer. And for the most part, if I'm hungry, I can go to bed and fall asleep. If I'm starving, I have a little coconut oil.

I think the problem with all diets (by diet I mean way of eating) is there's no one way. Even with the autoimmune protocol for paleo, many people do the full elimination diet, and start adding back and identify their trigger foods. Then beyond that after awhile with success will even add back primal foods. The girl I follow whose MS is in remission avoids a lot of foods, but she still eats rice. And while I'm leaving out gluten, eggs and peppers b/c they're trigger foods for me, I feel like I still do OK with dairy (and rice and even corn products - although the corn (like chips) is really a treat food and a way I stay away from gluten at restaurants).

So, I think it's absurd to say one thing works for everyone. Or that it's ALWAYS bad for all people/all women. I also think it's absurd to think that all people react the same to generally thought of unhealthy foods, even like sugar. Most people agree it's not good, but some people can digest it and be fine. Others react really negatively to soy, and some people can eat it all day long.

In general, I think angry stuff is written out of frustration, to fire people up for hits/comments, out of honest lack of education, or just because they think, "It worked for me. It's so simple, it will work for everyone!" Trust me. Almost nothing's worked for me (to lose weight). :) But, I do feel a million times better, and the only reason I got here was by trying a million different things, and finding a formula that works for me. And you know what? That struggle will probably help me stick to MY diet better than someone who's handed something already planned out for them. If you haven't tried and failed, you don't know failure's possible, so it seems almost easy. Where I've tried so many things, so when I find the formula that works, I'm throwing a "Strawberry Squatcake figured out how to get less fat, and she's hella amped!" party! (I'll invite you. You can meet the Squatcakes. We're overwhelming. Fair warning.)

Point is: Unique fuckin' snowflakes, folks.

tumblr_mes7zxomri1qebls2.jpg

tl;dr I feel ya, Brora. 

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

YES! I am so 100% there for the Squatcake celebration!

You are exactly right.  And that's why then and now I never left any comments on the article itself.  It's also why I avoid Ayn Rand (is that the crazy lady or is it some other blond that reminds me of her?) and Michael Moore, etc.  Extreme, inflammatory statements make me super angry.  ESPECIALLY when there is really good, important, accurate information contained within (like with a lot of the anti IF articles--some aren't so firey). 

Anywhooooo... in battle log related news:

My knee is all kinds of achy.  Definitely some bad stuff going on here.  I'm supposed to be at a chiro appt right now but had to reschedule (still waiting to hear back!). I'm hoping for tonight to see if they can work some of this tendonitisy feeling nonsense out.  I'm having a similar issue with my right elbow.