Hermy G's Super Fantastic Between Challenge Workout Log of Silliness!

Ugh. Knee problems are the worst. One time I jumped up and took off running and my knee popped and felt terrible. And over the next week or so was painful all the time. I thought for sure I'd ruined mah knee. And the doctor's like, "Nope. Everything's fine!" He gave me some rehab moves (which I've since lost) and after a few months it was like nothign was ever wrong, and I haven't had issues since. Bodies are so weird how they come out of nowhere with da pain. Sometimes it's bad. Sometimes it's not. It's like this weird crapshoot.

So I hope both of you get to feeling better fast (including a good MRI with no bad stuffs). 

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

2" washers for smaller weight increases

Thanks! Here's hoping! 

It's this cardio nonsense that does it to me. It'll be a little off and whatever... so I keep on... then the second my knee caves on a squat my knee is toast.  And that is exactly what happened here. SO annoying.  My body hates met con. 

I got that appointment rescheduled so I'm excited for that.  I'm hoping she'll be able to work something out.  :fingers crossed:

MoC, I hope yours cuts the crap, too!  Keep me posted about the doc and MRI.  Stupid knees!

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

YES! I am so 100% there for the Squatcake celebration!

You are exactly right.  And that's why then and now I never left any comments on the article itself.  It's also why I avoid Ayn Rand (is that the crazy lady or is it some other blond that reminds me of her?) and Michael Moore, etc.  Extreme, inflammatory statements make me super angry.  ESPECIALLY when there is really good, important, accurate information contained within (like with a lot of the anti IF articles--some aren't so firey). 

Anywhooooo... in battle log related news:

My knee is all kinds of achy.  Definitely some bad stuff going on here.  I'm supposed to be at a chiro appt right now but had to reschedule (still waiting to hear back!). I'm hoping for tonight to see if they can work some of this tendonitisy feeling nonsense out.  I'm having a similar issue with my right elbow. 

I think you mean Ann Coulter.  Although Ayn Rand (author of The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged) is shudder-worthy for different reasons, she died in 1982.  /end librarian-nerd  

Mmm, I tried melatonin and, for whatever reason, it didn't do anything for me :(   Good sleep is addictive. the substance may not be... but getting good sleep is. At least to me.

I suffer from major sleep issues--I was going through stages where one night would be good (7 hours of quality sleep, up 2 times during the night) and the next night would be awful (couldn't fall asleep, couldn't stay asleep, up 7-10 times a night, maybe 2-3 hours of actual sleep), followed by another good, then bad, for MONTHS.  

This may not work for everyone, but I will share what worked for me.  On the advice of my nutritionist, I did a sleep reset.  8 nights taking about 400-600mg of valerian root supplement.  (I have 450mg capsules that work fine.)  Take it 30 minutes before bed.  Make sure you're making time so that you can get 8 hours.  At the end of the 8 days, try it without.  I had NO problem that first night without the valerian.  That was a month ago, and I've had one small stress-related backslide, but I took it one night, and from then on, it's been back to deep, excellent sleep, up maybe 1x per night.  

YMMV.  But it was too life-altering to keep to myself.  :)

Amazon Warrior
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Druid Side Project
"All great truths begin as blasphemies."--Annajanska, George Bernard Shaw

I think you mean Ann Coulter.  Although Ayn Rand (author of The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged) is shudder-worthy for different reasons, she died in 1982.  /end librarian-nerd  

I suffer from major sleep issues--I was going through stages where one night would be good (7 hours of quality sleep, up 2 times during the night) and the next night would be awful (couldn't fall asleep, couldn't stay asleep, up 7-10 times a night, maybe 2-3 hours of actual sleep), followed by another good, then bad, for MONTHS.  

This may not work for everyone, but I will share what worked for me.  On the advice of my nutritionist, I did a sleep reset.  8 nights taking about 400-600mg of valerian root supplement.  (I have 450mg capsules that work fine.)  Take it 30 minutes before bed.  Make sure you're making time so that you can get 8 hours.  At the end of the 8 days, try it without.  I had NO problem that first night without the valerian.  That was a month ago, and I've had one small stress-related backslide, but I took it one night, and from then on, it's been back to deep, excellent sleep, up maybe 1x per night.  

YMMV.  But it was too life-altering to keep to myself.   :)

Yes! It is Ann Coulter I meant! Thank you!  Yeah, that b*tch be crazy.  And also not an Ayn Rand fan.

Sweet! Yes, I'll take all the sleep ideas.  Duly noted.

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost

Welp, I feel ya on the depression and the lack of weight loss. I've definitely been the same way - like, all last year. Just breathe, and keep on keeping on. You're awesome and so many people here (myself included) totally look up to you. I hate when life stuff sucks but hopefully it will start to get better soon. 

How long have you been doing IF? Maybe it is time for a break. Personally, although I haven't been 100% on calories or macros, I'm liking the 5 day-2 day thing. I like that 1) I don't have to feel deprived ALL THE TIME - I can have treats occasionally. And by treats I mean beer and pizza. And 2) I don't have to feel deprived FOREVER. Basically (in case you don't recall) I'll do this for 6 weeks. Then I have a week at maintenance. Then I see if I want to do another cycle.

Or - what about changing up your lifting program? At least that way you'd be doing something different.

I dunno. Major hugs to you girl. Hang in there.

ETA: I wanted to ask about ZMA. Can someone give me the TL;DR version?

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

ETA: I wanted to ask about ZMA. Can someone give me the TL;DR version?

ZMA is zinc, magnesium, and vitamin B6.  It is supposed to (and I can verify that it does in fact) enhance sleep and increase testosterone levels.  Since the Human Growth Hormone is produced by your body while you are sleeping at your deepest level, this is also supposed to result in higher levels of HGH, which leads to the claims of ZMA helping increase strength and build muscle.  That part is pretty much supposition, but it makes sense to me I guess.

I take the multi-vitamin and fish oil and whatnot because I "should," but this stuff I actually feel doing something.

Aiel Rebel

Current Challenge

Str: 18.75 | Dex: 12.25 | Sta: 16 | Con: 30.25 | Wis: 27 | Cha: 16.25

Interesting. Do you think it would be too much if I'm already taking a multi-B supplement? I like increasing strength and muscle :D

My label says that the primary purpose of the B6 in the ZMA is because it is supposed to increase zinc and magnesium's effectiveness "by about a factor of 2."  There is only 3.5 mg's of B6 in mine and I think you need to take several hundred mg's before you get any negative effects from B6, so I don't imagine there would be a problem there.  That "factor of 2" thing seems a little hokey to me, but I don't know if taking extra B6 will make the zinc and mag too effective? lol

The only thing the product suggests is not to take ZMA with calcium due to diminished results, but nothing about not stacking extra B6.  And I really don't think the minimal amount of B6 in it would bump you into the range of toxicity.  I don't really know for sure, but I'd say you would be fine on both.  Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the ZMA alone would have enough B6 that you could forego your regular supplement if you were happy with that already.

Aiel Rebel

Current Challenge

colbert-were-not-friends.gif

Oh, pish posh!

Brett+Stupid.gif

ZMA is zinc, magnesium, and vitamin B6.  It is supposed to (and I can verify that it does in fact) enhance sleep and increase testosterone levels.  Since the Human Growth Hormone is produced by your body while you are sleeping at your deepest level, this is also supposed to result in higher levels of HGH, which leads to the claims of ZMA helping increase strength and build muscle.  That part is pretty much supposition, but it makes sense to me I guess.

I take the multi-vitamin and fish oil and whatnot because I "should," but this stuff I actually feel doing something.

FWIW, I've noticed a difference in sleep (or, at least, I did) and what I think are effects of increased testosterone. But it's highly subjective and I have no real way of knowing without doing a bunch of tests, I guess. 

The effect on sleep is lessening.  Last night I woke up around 2 am when Boyf came to bed. My brain was going a mile a minute so it took me some time to fall asleep again. I definitely fell asleep faster than I would have supplement free, but the fact that I was more awake than normal makes me sad. There's something about Wednesday nights..

My chiropractic appointment yesterday was very successful.  My knee feels 93% better. Yay! So, no missing deadlift day for me :D Very happy about that. It's a light day anyway so I think it'll be good stuff.

93% better. I'd like to see the equation you used for that! :)

I can't remember if I wrote this already, but for funsies I went off melatonin. OMG. Misery! I couldn't fall asleep for three nights. Or when I did, I'd be awake again in a few hours. To be fair, it was probably how I felt pre-melatonin, not worsened or anything. But finally yesterday I was so exhausted and had a few drinks with dinner. I probably looked hammered. My friend is finally like, "You know, you can go home and go to bed. We won't be mad." I got home, fell asleep and slept the whole night. And feel fan-freaking-tastic today. I feel like my body can't relax without melatonin until I'm totally run down. Which I think is where I start the cycle of getting sick. So, I'm not sure what the answer is for me. I don't like taking stuff that affects me or could be habit forming (it FEELS habit-forming), but is good sleep worth it? I've heard some people who start with high dosages (I take somewhere between 6-9mg for the best results - but I've heard of people taking way more) and then slowly back off to where they're taking 1mg. If I could do that, I think I'd be OK with it. Feeling such a marked change in relaxation freaks me out a bit, for some reason? Anyway... Musings. Not saying it's good or bad. I'm indifferent at this point, aside from feeling like I'm dependent. But I think you're right, the addiction is to good sleep. But is an addiction an addiction? Is worrying about being addicted to sleep keeping me from sleep? ;) 

I did not realize melatonin caused more vivid dreams (was that mentioned here or somewhere else?). Honestly, I'd prefer NOT to dream. Dreaming freaks me out sometimes. What's up with mah brain?? Although I guess I can see why people would like to dream.... Just not me! :) 

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

FWIW, I've noticed a difference in sleep (or, at least, I did) and what I think are effects of increased testosterone. But it's highly subjective and I have no real way of knowing without doing a bunch of tests, I guess. 

The effect on sleep is lessening.  Last night I woke up around 2 am when Boyf came to bed. My brain was going a mile a minute so it took me some time to fall asleep again. I definitely fell asleep faster than I would have supplement free, but the fact that I was more awake than normal makes me sad. There's something about Wednesday nights..

My chiropractic appointment yesterday was very successful.  My knee feels 93% better. Yay! So, no missing deadlift day for me :D Very happy about that. It's a light day anyway so I think it'll be good stuff.

I obviously can't know for sure but I suspect the increased testosterone is a bit more obvious for guys.  Really no testing needed, you can just tell.  Beyond the obvious libido thing, too, into just a general feeling of well-being.

Something I've noticed about ZMA is that the effect on sleep is still the same, and I've been taking it quite a long time, but if something wakes me up any time after the 5 hour mark I do have a harder time falling back asleep on it than off of it.  I think it is because my body thinks it has slept longer than it has.  So that is one downside and for that reason sometimes I don't take it if I think I might be woken up before I want to get up.  But if you were up, you could've totally come and hung out with me because I was on the nod all night trying to stay awake :)

And yay for 93% improvements and deadlifts!

Aiel Rebel

Current Challenge

Wow 93% that's an oddly specific amount of improvement!  Good job chiro!   

Yes indeed!   It was a very complicated formula.. I won't bore you with details :D

I can't remember if I wrote this already, but for funsies I went off melatonin. OMG. Misery! I couldn't fall asleep for three nights. Or when I did, I'd be awake again in a few hours. To be fair, it was probably how I felt pre-melatonin, not worsened or anything. But finally yesterday I was so exhausted and had a few drinks with dinner. I probably looked hammered. My friend is finally like, "You know, you can go home and go to bed. We won't be mad." I got home, fell asleep and slept the whole night. And feel fan-freaking-tastic today. I feel like my body can't relax without melatonin until I'm totally run down. Which I think is where I start the cycle of getting sick. So, I'm not sure what the answer is for me. I don't like taking stuff that affects me or could be habit forming (it FEELS habit-forming), but is good sleep worth it? I've heard some people who start with high dosages (I take somewhere between 6-9mg for the best results - but I've heard of people taking way more) and then slowly back off to where they're taking 1mg. If I could do that, I think I'd be OK with it. Feeling such a marked change in relaxation freaks me out a bit, for some reason? Anyway... Musings. Not saying it's good or bad. I'm indifferent at this point, aside from feeling like I'm dependent. But I think you're right, the addiction is to good sleep. But is an addiction an addiction? Is worrying about being addicted to sleep keeping me from sleep? ;)

I think briefly but only about day 1. So further updates are interesting.   My theory: anything that shuts my brain up gets addicting because having my brain STFU for a minute is the happiest feeling in the world... and I am addicted to it.  So I get ya.

Woo, not missing deadlift day!

yesssssssssss!

I obviously can't know for sure but I suspect the increased testosterone is a bit more obvious for guys.  Really no testing needed, you can just tell.  Beyond the obvious libido thing, too, into just a general feeling of well-being.

Something I've noticed about ZMA is that the effect on sleep is still the same, and I've been taking it quite a long time, but if something wakes me up any time after the 5 hour mark I do have a harder time falling back asleep on it than off of it.  I think it is because my body thinks it has slept longer than it has.  So that is one downside and for that reason sometimes I don't take it if I think I might be woken up before I want to get up.  But if you were up, you could've totally come and hung out with me because I was on the nod all night trying to stay awake :)

And yay for 93% improvements and deadlifts!

You know, it's funny you say that because when I woke up I was confused about what time it was.  I thought it was 5 but he told me it was 2.  I suspect this has happened more than I realize because I've been waking up at night wondering where he is (assuming he fell asleep on the couch) and then he'll come in a bit later.  Again, I'm always assuming it's ~5 am, but I have no idea why.  Anyhow, I'm going to ask him... this is all very curious.

ETA: yup, it's confirmed.  He said he's been coming to bed between 1-2 (which is normal).  So, I"m obviously sleeping harder than normal for the first 4-5 hours.  Craziness.

I did not realize melatonin caused more vivid dreams (was that mentioned here or somewhere else?). Honestly, I'd prefer NOT to dream. Dreaming freaks me out sometimes. What's up with mah brain?? Although I guess I can see why people would like to dream.... Just not me! :)

From my limited knowledge of melatonin, the reason some people feel it might be habit forming is that melatonin is something you body should be producing on its own, at the appropriate time of day and at correct levels. It's one of the things regulated by your circadian rhythms, which are affected by exposure to sunlight and vitamin d levels etc. When that gets thrown off, melatonin production gets wonky (technical term) and effects the ability to fall asleep. So the "danger" is that because you're giving yourself the melatonin, your body might say "thanks, now I can be lazy" and not really make it on its own. I don't know if that is scientifically proven, but that's the jist of the idea. So other things, like valerian root, or magnesium or whatever, that are things that can help you regulate melatonin levels without actually being melatonin, might be better, because you're just giving your body support to do it's job. FWIW.

Also, Laura, I totally get being pissed off by that article. It's almost fear mongering... instead of saying "It might not work for you, so be aware of symptom X and make changes" some of its more like "Do IF and you might die." Not super helpful. It was a starting point for me doing a little research though, since so many around IF have sucess with it and who doesn't want to lose body fat? BUT the risks are things that given my own hormonal weirdness, isn't worth the supposed benefits. But that's just me. I've also experienced slightly disordered eating in the past, and that's pretty well fixed now, so I sort of also don't feel like doing anything restrictive, since I'm maintaining by just eating what I want within a paleo/primal mindset.

Since you are already slowly changing the fasting window, I would say keep playing with that. You mentioned the initial success might have had more to do with the carb numbers, so at some point you might try doing a more typical three meals a day but using similar macros and see how that works. But it could easily be other things too, so who knows? If you're feeling strong and you're advancing in lifts, I think you'll slowly recomp anyway.

From my limited knowledge of melatonin, the reason some people feel it might be habit forming is that melatonin is something you body should be producing on its own, at the appropriate time of day and at correct levels. It's one of the things regulated by your circadian rhythms, which are affected by exposure to sunlight and vitamin d levels etc. When that gets thrown off, melatonin production gets wonky (technical term) and effects the ability to fall asleep. So the "danger" is that because you're giving yourself the melatonin, your body might say "thanks, now I can be lazy" and not really make it on its own. I don't know if that is scientifically proven, but that's the jist of the idea. So other things, like valerian root, or magnesium or whatever, that are things that can help you regulate melatonin levels without actually being melatonin, might be better, because you're just giving your body support to do it's job. FWIW.

Also, Laura, I totally get being pissed off by that article. It's almost fear mongering... instead of saying "It might not work for you, so be aware of symptom X and make changes" some of its more like "Do IF and you might die." Not super helpful. It was a starting point for me doing a little research though, since so many around IF have sucess with it and who doesn't want to lose body fat? BUT the risks are things that given my own hormonal weirdness, isn't worth the supposed benefits. But that's just me. I've also experienced slightly disordered eating in the past, and that's pretty well fixed now, so I sort of also don't feel like doing anything restrictive, since I'm maintaining by just eating what I want within a paleo/primal mindset.

Since you are already slowly changing the fasting window, I would say keep playing with that. You mentioned the initial success might have had more to do with the carb numbers, so at some point you might try doing a more typical three meals a day but using similar macros and see how that works. But it could easily be other things too, so who knows? If you're feeling strong and you're advancing in lifts, I think you'll slowly recomp anyway.

As is often true for me, I based my final decision (after so much conflicting data) on this from Robb Wolf:

"Melatonin-I’ve experimented with this a good bit and found results with levels as low as 5mg and as high as 30mg. I talked to Grace about this and I’m no longer worried about down-regulation of normal production. I do not sleep as well when I do not have it and have had a really busy day. Cortisol is antagonistic to serotonin, which is why melatonin can be so beneficial ina Cortisol management program. BUT, it is not a fix-all. Some sleep issues can be GABA related in which case melatonin could actually worsen your situation. Again, it pays to know what the heck you are doing."

As background, I only chose Robb because I credit him for tons of strides I've made with my health. When it comes to controversial stuff (what isn't?), when I'm torn, I often go to him for the final answer. Stupid? Maybe. But he makes sense to me.

Ultimately, I think cortisol is a big part of my problem (especially seeing my belly fat). So seeing the two tied together was a nail in the coffin, and kind of a "what the hell, let's see what happens!" But I started to get a little freaked when I felt like I looked forward to taking it. I agree with Laura that actually falling and staying asleep feels like the addictive part - the melatonin doesn't make me feel good directly. But the sleep is fucking awesome. People who fall and stay asleep effortlessly have always been a source of my jealousy, even when I was way younger and didn't have a cortisol issue.

But now, I'm unsure. I'll do more research. Many people site Robb as their source for "it's not a problem/take it regularly if you like." So I need to look outside of him, and people using him as a source. 

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

DL question... how do you load up for DL?  Do you put the bar on the floor, and lift from there, or do you put it in the rack, on the lowest safeties, and lift that way?  I've been going from the floor (same for rows), and I feel like I'm getting funny looks from the bros...

I've done both but I usually load it from the safeties and move it from there to the floor. That's only because I have trouble getting the plates on the bar when it's on the ground.  BUT my guess is the bros are all like, "whoa, homegirl's deadlifting" haha they are forever amazed by ladies lifting :)   Do whatever you find easiest!

DL question... how do you load up for DL?  Do you put the bar on the floor, and lift from there, or do you put it in the rack, on the lowest safeties, and lift that way?  I've been going from the floor (same for rows), and I feel like I'm getting funny looks from the bros...

I've done both but I usually load it from the safeties and move it from there to the floor. That's only because I have trouble getting the plates on the bar when it's on the ground.  BUT my guess is the bros are all like, "whoa, homegirl's deadlifting" haha they are forever amazed by ladies lifting :)   Do whatever you find easiest!

I find putting the biggest plates on the bar while it's on the safeties to be easier and then if I'm lifting more than that, I'll move the bar to the floor and slide the smaller plates on down there so I minimize the amount of time I'm moving the bar around when it doesn't 'count' and only pick up the fully loaded bar when it 'counts'. Especially at the gym where the bar is 45 and the hex plates don't slide well if they're on the floor and while I can jiggle the bar around, it's kind of a pain in the ass and seems to prompt guys to come over to help. (On the plus side from the point of view of someone who is not looking to interact with other people, the guys all left to do whatever they were doing before as soon as my bar was loaded.) But I second do what ever you find easiest.

I never considered that aspect of taking melatonin! Bodies are crazy things, man.

100%! I read a handful of those articles over some time and I thought it was really interesting so it's always something I've kept in the back of my mind. Now that I"m in this weird body place i can't be sure.  But damn her for being such a psycho!

Happy eating is better than all other eating!

Right now I'm dropping it down to a 12-12.. and may make it a little earlier. It's really hard to spread all that food out now that i'm used to it eating all at once hahaha  but I think bone broth may be a good morning drink that will likely break my fast but not involve eating all my calories for hte day. hmmmmmm

As is often true for me, I based my final decision (after so much conflicting data) on this from Robb Wolf:

"Melatonin-I’ve experimented with this a good bit and found results with levels as low as 5mg and as high as 30mg. I talked to Grace about this and I’m no longer worried about down-regulation of normal production. I do not sleep as well when I do not have it and have had a really busy day. Cortisol is antagonistic to serotonin, which is why melatonin can be so beneficial ina Cortisol management program. BUT, it is not a fix-all. Some sleep issues can be GABA related in which case melatonin could actually worsen your situation. Again, it pays to know what the heck you are doing."

As background, I only chose Robb because I credit him for tons of strides I've made with my health. When it comes to controversial stuff (what isn't?), when I'm torn, I often go to him for the final answer. Stupid? Maybe. But he makes sense to me.

Ultimately, I think cortisol is a big part of my problem (especially seeing my belly fat). So seeing the two tied together was a nail in the coffin, and kind of a "what the hell, let's see what happens!" But I started to get a little freaked when I felt like I looked forward to taking it. I agree with Laura that actually falling and staying asleep feels like the addictive part - the melatonin doesn't make me feel good directly. But the sleep is fucking awesome. People who fall and stay asleep effortlessly have always been a source of my jealousy, even when I was way younger and didn't have a cortisol issue.

But now, I'm unsure. I'll do more research. Many people site Robb as their source for "it's not a problem/take it regularly if you like." So I need to look outside of him, and people using him as a source. 

"Again, it pays to know what the heck you are doing."

Haha, I like that. When it comes down to it, if you can't sleep otherwise, obviously getting sleep is the important thing.

Sleep! It's the freaking best!  I have an appointment in the morning so no work at 8. I intend to sleep until my body says otherwise. Such a glorious thing!

Oh hey, I worked out last night..

4/25/13

OHP:

45x3

55x3

60x6

60x6

60x5

50x8

i forget what my working reps were... higher than normal, I think.. maybe 8 and not 6...

Deadlift:

105x5

120x3

135x5

135x5

135x4 or 5 ?

just focused on form.

Good mornings:

65x6

65x6

65x6

lightened it up, kept it low rep

DB Step Ups:

6 risers

10x8

10x8

10x8

lightened up accessory work is weird. are you supposed to do that? whatevs.

Gymnastic core thing:

5 reps each crunch-v up bastard baby; superman

2 rolls each left and right

Bike intervals

Mins 1-2:30 warm up

Mins 2:30-10 various intervals

Mins 10-12 cool down

kept it easier than usual. varied the intervals to whatever i was feeling