Challenge Accepted!

m12lrv

Ok, so I know the current challenge isn't officially over and tallied, but I wanted to set out some goals for myself, as I'll be joining the next challenge. Here are my big four:

1. Start each meal (yes, this includes breakfast) with

-1 serving of fruits

-1 serving of vegetables

-8 oz of water

2. Do a back walk-over (this is my motivation for joining the Druids for this challenge)

3. Run/walk 10 miles a week

4. Build a resume

I know, this seems fairly simple, but I don't want to over-commit for this first challenge. Baby steps will work me into a new lifestyle rather than fad-dieting. And with my birthday being near the end of the challenge, I think I will combine the celebration with my level-up! Here's to living!

Psionic Amazon

Ranger-Assassin

STR-1 DEX-3 STA-0 CON-3 WIS-4 CHA-4

"And hand in hand, on the edge of the sand, they danced by the light of the moon." -Edward Lear, The Owl and the Pussycat

http://fit-2-hit.blogspot.com

Dani, great question! This is a combination of strength and flexibility, and there are several steps that can be used to mark progress. I have to preface this with a mention of safety...do use mats, spotters, and lots of stretching in learning new exercises like this!

First thing...get your backbend down. Here is a page with a bunch of stretches. Once you can go into the "wheel" pose (a.k.a. "bridge") from the ground, stand with your back to a wall, a few steps out, and walk your hands down the wall into the pose. This mimics the motion for a backbend. As you progress, get further away from the wall until you can get into a backbend without a wall. This is where I currently am, so I'm moving onto the next step.

From there, I feel like there are three parts: flexibility, strength, and confidence. A back walkover is easier to do if your hands are closer to your legs, so when in your backbend, push with your legs to stretch your back, pushing your stomach towards the sky. Work on minimizing the distance between your hands and feet. This is the flexibility aspect.

With regards to strength, there are several target areas. From a backbend position, do single leg lifts. Work to lift your leg high and hold it. This is also great for working into standing splits. Also, like mentioned before, push with your legs. You can hold or pulse this (slowly, don't bounce). Calf raises in this position are good as well. Also, work your arms by lowering in and out of this, as if you were doing pushups.

Finally, confidence. Start by facing a wall and doing handstands against it. Pay attention to what it feels like coming down. Next, lay on your back on a bed, hands on the floor "above" your head. Simulate a back walkover from this position. I see the next step as standing facing the wall. Do a backbend, then walk your feet up the wall to kick over. 

And just so you're aware, this is NOT a plan developed by an expert, it's just something I put together. I also plan on going to an "open gym" when I get the chance to work on this with a coach. In the meantime, do you want to be my virtual training buddy for this endeavor? If so, where are you at in the process? Can you do a bridge from laying on the ground?

Psionic Amazon

Ranger-Assassin

"And hand in hand, on the edge of the sand, they danced by the light of the moon." -Edward Lear, The Owl and the Pussycat

I can do a back bend from the ground, before I got pregnant I could go from standing into back bend and pull myself back up. I used to face the wall, back bend, then walk my legs up the wall to flip myself over. I tried to get my legs over without the wall but never could

I don't think my stomach muscles are quite there yet to accomplish this, but I will definitely work on those exercises with you!

Lvl 5 Mermaid Hobbit Assassin

STR 7.5 / DEX 8 / STA 6.5  / CON 14 / WIS 12 / CHA 10

"Everything will be alright in the end. If it's not alright, then it's not the end."

Current Challenge

Welcome to the Druids!

Love your goals and I look forward to following your progress with the back walk over.

I would recommend drinking the water 15 to 20min before the meal. Generally having a lot to drink during a meal can impair digestion. I know drinking water just before a meal is a trick often used by dieters. However, for good health, its best to drink ahead of the meal. Having said that, I do usually drink 1 glass of water with each meal. :)

Lusitanian Druid, Level 9
STR: 13 | DEX: 15 | STA: 17 | CON: 22 | WIS: 25 | CHA: 25

“We are what we repeatedly do; excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.†- Aristotle

Current Challenge: Living the Good Life II Past: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th,  8th9th, 10th11th, 12th

Goal: 1001 Steps on the Road to a Home -> 18/348 in 2015 

5.27%
5.27%

Goal: loose 9KG in 2015 -> 1.5KG lost 

16.67%
16.67%

In looking at all the amazing recipes I have in my collection (as well as a bundle of them I've found this past week online), I've decided to alter my plan just slightly. I'm going to take Chanda's advice and have the glass of water a bit before my meal, then give it 20-ish (maybe 30) minutes to settle, which is about how long it takes to cook most meals. I also have decided not to necessarily start with a full serving of both fruits and vegetables prior to every meal, but to at least incorporate them into the meal. That having been said, my lunch today was a little low on veggies and completely lacking in fruits. What a way to start a challenge, eh!? But I went to the grocery store tonight and bought a few things so tomorrow can be different. 

The other change I have decided to make is to the miles per week. I have found room in my budget to join a studio locally that offers a TON of fitness classes at an incredible price! I am going to take advantage of doing what I enjoy in order to find my fit body underneath these layers of chub. So the alteration is as follows: one hour in the studio will remove one mile from my mileage requirement. Yes, I realize that's not a perfect trade, but it will work for me. And that's what this is all about, right!?

Psionic Amazon

Ranger-Assassin

Until she was well into her 60s my grandmother could go into a backbend, pick up a handkerchief on the floor behind her with her teeth and come back up with it. She taught second grade and would do it in front of her class to teach the kids that even "old" people could still do cool stuff. Then one day she got stuck in the backbend and had to send a kid down the hall to find another teacher to rescue her. Anyway, that's what I think of when I think of backbends. Never could do one myself, but love the idea of it as a challenge :-)

Finding $$ in the budget is a lovely thing! Have fun with those classes! 

Wait - you found something - quick, go log it on this week's mini-challenge!

Wandern
Wood Elf Druid
Level 10
STR 15 | DEX 19 | STA 18 | CON 16 | WIS 22 | CHA 20
Current Challenge: Focuses on Fitness 

Old Challenges 1110 9 876543, 2, 1

Your grandmother sounds like an amazing woman! My mom told me her grandmother was the one that got down on the floor and taught her how to do a somersault. I hope I am fortunate enough in life to be a healthy old lady someday!

I did find something! In fact, I did laundry tonight and paired all the socks...I will have to post a pic of my final "pairing" :)

Psionic Amazon

Ranger-Assassin

Hi m12lrv! How are things going? Hope to hear from you ... 

Lusitanian Druid, Level 9
STR: 13 | DEX: 15 | STA: 17 | CON: 22 | WIS: 25 | CHA: 25

“We are what we repeatedly do; excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.†- Aristotle

Current Challenge: Living the Good Life II Past: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th,  8th9th, 10th11th, 12th

Goal: 1001 Steps on the Road to a Home -> 18/348 in 2015 

5.27%
5.27%

Goal: loose 9KG in 2015 -> 1.5KG lost 

16.67%
16.67%

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines