General Chat Thread

Wolverine

Welcome Synster, don't hesitate to ask if, if there is anything we can help with.

Thank you, I'll be sure to keep that in mind!

i asked will somebody please tell

Check this video out:

I don't know much about Parkour yet but this video seems to be helpful! It also states in the beginning not to practice on hard surfaces until you've perfected the move. I would suggest recording yourself doing it, then compare it to a video of someone who has perfected the form to see what you need to change and work on.

Thank you, I'll be sure to keep that in mind!

Check this video out:

I don't know much about Parkour yet but this video seems to be helpful! It also states in the beginning not to practice on hard surfaces until you've perfected the move. I would suggest recording yourself doing it, then compare it to a video of someone who has perfected the form to see what you need to change and work on.

i am doing this only, i am at progression 1 but entire back hurt for a few hours after practicing. although i am getting pretty good at it 

ASSASSIN LEVEL:3

STR: 15(current), 4(beginning) | DEX: 11.42(current), 1(beginning) | STA: 3.26(current), 1(beginning) | CON: 9(current), 4(beginning) | WIS: 3(current), 2(beginning) | CHA: 10.37(current), 3(beginning)

Challenges: #1#2

Current Challenge: challenge 3

i am doing this only, i am at progression 1 but entire back hurt for a few hours after practicing. although i am getting pretty good at it 

Are you doing it on a hard surface?  Is the back pain external (i.e. bruising) or internal (i.e. spine/muscle)?

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

As Wolverine asked! Where are you practicing at? And check your form, you can very easily miss something, no matter how minor. If you are practicing on a hard surface, I would have no doubt that that is the cause of the pain. If not, and there is no bruising, sensitivity to the touch on the outside, it can very well be your form. This form of rolling reminds me very much of the Ninjutsu style of rolling. It seems silly that something could hurt you, but if you're messing one thing up, your going to pay for it later!

i am practicing on grass and the pain is external mainly but a little muscle pain too ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, form was initially wrong but i asked a friend to see and compare it with video. i am now at progression 2 the muscle pain has reduced like it's just for around 15 min after i stop practicing and not at all during the practice but external pain remains.

the progression 2 i did only yesterday and the pain improved,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, so might be their was something wrong with my position for progression 1

STR: 15(current), 4(beginning) | DEX: 11.42(current), 1(beginning) | STA: 3.26(current), 1(beginning) | CON: 9(current), 4(beginning) | WIS: 3(current), 2(beginning) | CHA: 10.37(current), 3(beginning)

i am practicing on grass and the pain is external mainly but a little muscle pain too ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, form was initially wrong but i asked a friend to see and compare it with video. i am now at progression 2 the muscle pain has reduced like it's just for around 15 min after i stop practicing and not at all during the practice but external pain remains.

Next question. Are you stretching properly before and after? Also, how often are you practicing? It IS possible to OVER practice! Is your grass soft, or are there little bumps and holes in the ground? Rocks? What kind of clothing do you wear? So much as a belt can cause an issue! 

ground is a little bumpy and pebbles ,,,,,,,,,,, stretching well that's one of my goals and i always stretch. clothing is simple elastic shorts and tee. i practice for 2 hrs every second day  

If the pain is external (i.e. skin) then it's probably mild bruising and totally normal.  It takes awhile for body parts to get used to new friction (when I started lifting for the first time, I had a constant bruise from the barbell across my shoulders until I got used to the weight).  Make sure you're practicing on a soft surface (throw a blanket over the grass, maybe?) and decrease the amount you practice until your skin gets used to the impact.  Gradually increase your roll time as your body adapts.

Skin pain and dull muscle aches are usually "this is a new movement" pain.  Sharp stabbing pain is usually injury.  I'm not a doc and I can't see you in real life, though, so if you're worried, stop and have a professional look at you.

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

If the pain is external (i.e. skin) then it's probably mild bruising and totally normal.  It takes awhile for body parts to get used to new friction (when I started lifting for the first time, I had a constant bruise from the barbell across my shoulders until I got used to the weight).  Make sure you're practicing on a soft surface (throw a blanket over the grass, maybe?) and decrease the amount you practice until your skin gets used to the impact.  Gradually increase your roll time as your body adapts.

Skin pain and dull muscle aches are usually "this is a new movement" pain.  Sharp stabbing pain is usually injury.  I'm not a doc and I can't see you in real life, though, so if you're worried, stop and have a professional look at you.

thanks man i will do that

I like this guild of Assassins...very useful information here! (:

yaa it certainly is 

I'm thinking there's two things going on here...one is the stress on your body from the activity, which would relate to preparatory conditioning, and the other is the external conditions, what others have said about the terrain,for example.  It's always a good idea to back off when you experience pain and analyze it to determine if it's "good" pain (adaptation to exercise) or "bad" pain (injury).  Remember, it's a learning process and you have the rest of your life to get it right, no need to hurry so much that you have to stop and heal.

Cro Magnon Assassin

"Hold my beer and watch this..."

it certainly feel like good pain, but i can't do more than 8-9 continuous rolls because of it.

well had to give rest to the roll this entire week due to elbow injury.

but will get back to it as soon as the elbow is back in shape

If its still a problem it might be time to hunt down a Parkour or Gymnastics trainer and check your technique.  A lot of times people will have pain that lasts a session or two until they adapt.  Sometimes the pain will develop and you know its an injury.  This sounds like something else.

Cro Magnon Assassin

Hey assassins! 

I'm Pretzle and I'll be joining you for the next challenge. It's kinda funny, in the first MMO I ever played (Ragnarok Online ;)) I played an assassin. Guess in a way I've come full circle then? 

Nice to meet you all, I'll lurk for a bit and hopefully I'll get to know you a bit better during the challenge :).

level 10 wood elf assassin

Intro1st challenge | .... | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | Current @ warriors

Welcome to the assassins!

Hey assassins! 

I'm Pretzle and I'll be joining you for the next challenge. It's kinda funny, in the first MMO I ever played (Ragnarok Online ;)) I played an assassin. Guess in a way I've come full circle then? 

Nice to meet you all, I'll lurk for a bit and hopefully I'll get to know you a bit better during the challenge :).

Wisdom 15.5   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 14  Constitution-11

Elastigirl:Just Living Life , Part II - Current Challenge: February 14 to March 20 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Hey assassins! 

Hey "lurker"  feel free to jump in!  We're not an uptight crowd, so consider yourself a part of the group already:)

Cro Magnon Assassin

I know there's a general 'ask advice about your goals' topic... but do we as assassins also chat about our ideas for the next challenge? Might be fun!

I'm still floundering a bit with regard to focus. I'm just not sure what I want to focus on! I originally said push ups, which is still a good idea but I've managed to hurt my shoulder/back and I have to take things easy for a bit :( Doctor told me I really have to be just wait and see (while exercising a bit) to see if the pain goes away by itself in a week or two. I'm not completely sure but I think it's push ups, dumbbell rows and possible planks (beginner BW circuit) which are making things worse. Ugh. 

Other than that I want to improve my diet... but motivation is quite low (no weight problems, environment not helping (we're living with my in-laws because of the stupid housing market. They like cheap, easy and unfortunately mostly unhealthy food. I refuse to eat too much crap, but I don't want to feel like I'm nagging all the time when we're eating things which I don't consider to be a decent meal for dinner...) Anyways, even with all the complaining, I'm planning on tackling the following goals:

- Push ups - increase them! I can could (before shoulder/back started being a problem) do 8 reps in 3 sets of the beginner BW circuit. I definitely want to get that to 10, but I'm wondering if I should focus on consecutive push ups instead for the challenge... ideas? (not part of the goal but: keep doing beginner BW circuit 3 times a week).

- Food: Improve lunches at work. 2 out 3 work lunches should be something not bread based and include veggies and fruit. I kind of already started on this one and had a quinoa salad one of the days last week :)

- No unhealthy snacks with my coffee/tea except on Sundays and important birthdays (max 3 birthdays during the challenge)

- Lifegoal: finish thesis and practical research (both huge, but doing quite well on both :))

'Bonus' goal (not for points): Practice balance by standing while travelling by train (try not to hold walls etc.) and by learning to cycle for at least 15 secs without holding the steering wheel.

What are your goal ideas? 

level 10 wood elf assassin

Intro1st challenge | .... | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | Current @ warriors

I know there's a general 'ask advice about your goals' topic... but do we as assassins also chat about our ideas for the next challenge? Might be fun!

I'm still floundering a bit with regard to focus. I'm just not sure what I want to focus on! I originally said push ups, which is still a good idea but I've managed to hurt my shoulder/back and I have to take things easy for a bit :( Doctor told me I really have to be just wait and see (while exercising a bit) to see if the pain goes away by itself in a week or two. I'm not completely sure but I think it's push ups, dumbbell rows and possible planks (beginner BW circuit) which are making things worse. Ugh. 

Other than that I want to improve my diet... but motivation is quite low (no weight problems, environment not helping (we're living with my in-laws because of the stupid housing market. They like cheap, easy and unfortunately mostly unhealthy food. I refuse to eat too much crap, but I don't want to feel like I'm nagging all the time when we're eating things which I don't consider to be a decent meal for dinner...) Anyways, even with all the complaining, I'm planning on tackling the following goals:

- Push ups - increase them! I can could (before shoulder/back started being a problem) do 8 reps in 3 sets of the beginner BW circuit. I definitely want to get that to 10, but I'm wondering if I should focus on consecutive push ups instead for the challenge... ideas? (not part of the goal but: keep doing beginner BW circuit 3 times a week).

- Food: Improve lunches at work. 2 out 3 work lunches should be something not bread based and include veggies and fruit. I kind of already started on this one and had a quinoa salad one of the days last week :)

- No unhealthy snacks with my coffee/tea except on Sundays and important birthdays (max 3 birthdays during the challenge)

- Lifegoal: finish thesis and practical research (both huge, but doing quite well on both :))

'Bonus' goal (not for points): Practice balance by standing while travelling by train (try not to hold walls etc.) and by learning to cycle for at least 15 secs without holding the steering wheel.

What are your goal ideas? 

We can totally talk about goals! For push-ups, are you more interested in strength or endurance? That'll tell you whether you should focus on as many consecutive push-ups as possible, or start working towards harder variations with fewer reps.

I like the lunch goal - reasonable, something you have control over, and measurable. 

How many birthdays do you have?! Oh wait, you mean friends and family-type birthdays, not your own. :) Excellent.

Is it reasonable for you to finish both your thesis and the practical research in six weeks? I don't know where you are on those, but it sounds kind of huge. Also, how will you score partial completion on these?

Goals I'm considering - bodyweight exercise 3x a week, still working for that pull-up. Maybe handstands again, working on actual balance. Detailed tracking - calories, macros, weight, measurements. And then a life goal - I have too many options on this one! House stuff, a new juggling goal, keeping in better touch with friends, reading more... not sure which to do.

Level 13 Elven Assassin
Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Current
Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines