General Chat Thread

Wolverine

Pretzle:

Sounds like you have a good idea of the areas to build goals around.  The question seems to be how to work on them.  Your diet plan seems very workable, but I'm not sure what you're after with it.  If you aren't focused on losing weight are you looking at fueling your workouts more effectively.  Or is it an effort to detox?  The answer to this question will help you with the details.

Props for wanting to keep at your push up goal, but you should balance that against aggravating your pain.  Maybe this is the time for your push up goal to be alleviating the pain and maintaining what you have rather than pushing on to 10 reps?

Are you within 6 weeks of wrapping up your thesis and research?  If not, you probably have several measurable milestones towards that goal that will serve as goals for this challenge.

As for my goals?  I have a lot of miles to run in preparation for a race at the end of June, a continuing effort to learn German, and a mission from God to hassle Wolverine on my plate:)

Cro Magnon Assassin

"Hold my beer and watch this..."

I can't have as a goal something I do already, that would be cheating! 

Really? I totally make goals related to things I'd do anyway - my bodyweight workouts are ongoing, but I'm still using them as a goal every challenge, just leveling up gradually. Not to say I'm against you renting yourself - I did really enjoy watching the different weeks of your challenge against various people last time!

Level 13 Elven Assassin
Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Current
Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe

Maintaining your success story is not "cheating"  it is every bit as challenging as getting there in the first place!  How often <looking ing the mirro>) do we achieve a goal, only to slide rapidly back into our bad habits once we've accomplished it?

Cro Magnon Assassin

We can totally talk about goals! For push-ups, are you more interested in strength or endurance? That'll tell you whether you should focus on as many consecutive push-ups as possible, or start working towards harder variations with fewer reps.

Is it reasonable for you to finish both your thesis and the practical research in six weeks? I don't know where you are on those, but it sounds kind of huge. Also, how will you score partial completion on these?

Goals I'm considering - bodyweight exercise 3x a week, still working for that pull-up. Maybe handstands again, working on actual balance. Detailed tracking - calories, macros, weight, measurements. And then a life goal - I have too many options on this one! House stuff, a new juggling goal, keeping in better touch with friends, reading more... not sure which to do.

I'd say strength - but I should first figure out if I'm actually doing the push ups properly (really no idea what hurt my back/shoulder, so ehh.. yeah). Will probably record myself this week and hope I'll figure it out. Or maybe the pain is just bad luck after becoming quite a bit more active than I was? :) 

my thesis is almost-almost-almost done! (Second version :( bah, I hate things like that) and the deadline is near the end of May so it'll work out great for the challenge. My other research is a lot smaller (more practical etc.) with the deadline around the beginning of June. I guess I'd just call it an A if I finish both, a C if I finish one but not the other :) It should be very possible - maybe not to get the whole report done for the second thing, but the actual research-part should be fine.

Pretzle:

Sounds like you have a good idea of the areas to build goals around.  The question seems to be how to work on them.  Your diet plan seems very workable, but I'm not sure what you're after with it.  If you aren't focused on losing weight are you looking at fueling your workouts more effectively.  Or is it an effort to detox?  The answer to this question will help you with the details.

Props for wanting to keep at your push up goal, but you should balance that against aggravating your pain.  Maybe this is the time for your push up goal to be alleviating the pain and maintaining what you have rather than pushing on to 10 reps?

Are you within 6 weeks of wrapping up your thesis and research?  If not, you probably have several measurable milestones towards that goal that will serve as goals for this challenge.

As for my goals?  I have a lot of miles to run in preparation for a race at the end of June, a continuing effort to learn German, and a mission from God to hassle Wolverine on my plate:)

Diet ... yeah, just 'getting healthier' (I guess I'm/was one of those skinny fat people - I can eat whatever I want 'no problem' (it doesn't look like a problem) but I want to feel healthier and have more energy - I'm wondering if eating healthier would help out (and I think it might). I guess the whole healthy eating trend here at the forums infected me. (I've never been horrible with eating, I love my veggies and fruits etc. but I do eat a lot of useless food because it just 'doesn't seem to matter'). So even though it's still vague, a general 'eat healthier' is the main thing, helping me get stronger and fuel for + recover from the work outs is a part of that.

Language learning goals are awesome! I studied Japanese for about 3 1/2 years before simply not reviewing etc. anymore because I wanted to focus on my 'official' studies at uni. Once you start learning a language do. not. quit. Makes you feel horrible and makes it so much harder to start again because you've lost some progress. (Hey that sounds just like exercise ;)). 

level 10 wood elf assassin

Intro1st challenge | .... | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | Current @ warriors

Goals I'm considering - bodyweight exercise 3x a week, still working for that pull-up. Maybe handstands again, working on actual balance. Detailed tracking - calories, macros, weight, measurements. And then a life goal - I have too many options on this one! House stuff, a new juggling goal, keeping in better touch with friends, reading more... not sure which to do.

I coulda sworn you were looking at my future goals. I was going to do the Bodyweight circuit x3, and Handstand work O.o

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

I'd say strength - but I should first figure out if I'm actually doing the push ups properly (really no idea what hurt my back/shoulder, so ehh.. yeah). Will probably record myself this week and hope I'll figure it out. Or maybe the pain is just bad luck after becoming quite a bit more active than I was? :)

my thesis is almost-almost-almost done! (Second version :( bah, I hate things like that) and the deadline is near the end of May so it'll work out great for the challenge. My other research is a lot smaller (more practical etc.) with the deadline around the beginning of June. I guess I'd just call it an A if I finish both, a C if I finish one but not the other :) It should be very possible - maybe not to get the whole report done for the second thing, but the actual research-part should be fine.

Diet ... yeah, just 'getting healthier' (I guess I'm/was one of those skinny fat people - I can eat whatever I want 'no problem' (it doesn't look like a problem) but I want to feel healthier and have more energy - I'm wondering if eating healthier would help out (and I think it might). I guess the whole healthy eating trend here at the forums infected me. (I've never been horrible with eating, I love my veggies and fruits etc. but I do eat a lot of useless food because it just 'doesn't seem to matter'). So even though it's still vague, a general 'eat healthier' is the main thing, helping me get stronger and fuel for + recover from the work outs is a part of that.

Language learning goals are awesome! I studied Japanese for about 3 1/2 years before simply not reviewing etc. anymore because I wanted to focus on my 'official' studies at uni. Once you start learning a language do. not. quit. Makes you feel horrible and makes it so much harder to start again because you've lost some progress. (Hey that sounds just like exercise ;)). 

I was asking because I tend to fail when I choose an "I ought to..." type of goal.  Success comes most often with "I can brag about this" or with "I really need to do this or I'll be in trouble" goals:)

Cro Magnon Assassin

I dunno, I don't care for maintaining type goals.

For example, I know lots of people have goals related to diet. For me this is just pointless, I've been at this so long now and controls in place so fine tuned that I would have no trouble sticking to +/- 50 calories and 10g protein for the duration of the challenge.  That is a ridiculous and useless level of precision, but not hard for me to maintain.  Having a goal about not skipping workouts would likewise be pointless.  Its been like a year and a half since I last skipped a workout I had planned to do (injured =/= skipping).

I also don't like goals that are predicitons of where I'm going to be.  For example when I say do 10 reps of some exercise, it requires me progressing to that point.  As long as I stick to working that exercise, all my goal is doing is attempting to predict how I'm going to progress.  Plenty of challenges in the past I worked as hard as I feasibly could on a goal, got A+ level effort, but a poor prediction meant that I wasn't going to meet my goal.

I always want goals that challenge me in new ways, that require the creation of new habits, grading based on how well I do with the habit creation.  Those make the best goals.

currently maintaning

battle log challenges: 16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1
follow me: myfitnesspal
don't panic!

I use a combo of both techniques, I think.

For areas where I will slack off, I set a goal to maintain (e.g. flossing).  For areas where I won't slack off, I like to progress (e.g. tracking what I eat ---> tracking what I eat and hitting a certain calorie target).

I'm also not a fan of "predictions", which I learned when I was attempting to add pull-ups.  If I stick to the plan, I'll progress... and at a pace that's right for me, which I can control by tweaking my plan as necessary.

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

I'm also not a fan of "predictions", which I learned when I was attempting to add pull-ups.  If I stick to the plan, I'll progress... and at a pace that's right for me, which I can control by tweaking my plan as necessary.

Having now done 7 challenges in the levels era and a few before that, every time I made a progress prediction type goal I regretted it.

It seems either I hit my goal super fast, or have little chance of reaching it no matter how hard I try.

Avoiding exercise progress prediction goals would definitely be #1 on Waldo's Challenge Tipsâ„¢ list.  Doesn't mean to avoid exercise specific goals, but instead focus on the process of progression as opposed to progression you hope to have occur.

currently maintaning

battle log challenges: 16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1
follow me: myfitnesspal
don't panic!

Avoiding exercise progress prediction goals would definitely be #1 on Waldo's Challenge Tipsâ„¢ list.  Doesn't mean to avoid exercise specific goals, but instead focus on the process of progression as opposed to progression you hope to have occur.

I totally second (or third) this tip - if you're working towards a skill, the best you can do is work towards it. Guessing where you'll be after six weeks is frustrating, prone to failure, and generally not a great idea. I started out entirely opposed to process-type goals, but now they're nearly all I do.

Level 13 Elven Assassin
Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe

Yes, that's something I could notice, I'm awful at guessing how far I could go in 6 weeks. I went too easy on my first push-ups goal, too hard on the pull-ups and on another planet for the pistol squats. I think I'm just not good at goal settings :D

Nuala, level 13 Robot mistress of pain, Assassin Guild leader

First journey: The Rise and fall of an Assassin

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13

Second journey: Crawling back

If I may also chime in, as a newb, one of my goals is running-related. Instead of saying that I want to be able to run a 10K in six weeks, I am planning on saying that I want to run at least 3 times a week. However my distance or completion time improves is just icing. Delicious, delicious icing.

Anyway, that's an attainable goal instead of driving myself crazy trying to meet a time or distance goal within the 6 weeks. Like Nuala, I might overshoot a goal or completely miss it althogether.

CharlieBoston

My Character Page

Introduction - CharlieBoston and the Wavering Motvation
Fitocracy Profile

Athlinks Profile

"Hope, D'Argo. It's what keeps you going... I have hope or I have nothing."

Reading over the commentary on goals has developed my thoughts on the subject.  I agree with Wolverine and will "maintain" a goal if its one that I will otherwise slack off.  I will also do reoccurring goals, like language study, because they're never ending, and again, I have to keep holding myself accountable.  As far as numbers go?  I have a scale that I refer to as I go along, just 'cause I'm used to thinking that way, we all want to do 100 push ups, right?  Waldo's right about all of the down sides that go with that kind of thinking, though.  If your performance improves with each workout then you're on track.  If not, then you're either slacking off (mea culpa!) or you're not allowing yourself to fully recover.

I'm wondering if we can convince Waldo to put together his collected training tips in one file...:)

Cro Magnon Assassin

I coulda sworn you were looking at my future goals. I was going to do the Bodyweight circuit x3, and Handstand work O.o

Hey, that just means we can cheer each other on! YOU CAN DO IT!

Level 13 Elven Assassin

Hey, that just means we can cheer each other on! YOU CAN DO IT!

Alright then!

waterboy-you-can-do-it.jpg

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

/cry so I was working on a truck and got my pinky bit between a loaded shock and A-arm, so like 1.5 - 3 weeks (no insurance) no frog stands. And I was getting good at them .............................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Race: Deva | STR: 5  DEX: 4  STA: 4  CON: 3  WIS: 4  CHA: 2

! = Inactive ! = Active/Non-Focus ! = Active/Main Focus

Wizard Lv. 5 Monk Lv. 1 Assassin Lv. 2 

CURRENT CHALLENGE: ZachAcid - Tutorial Finished: C! Next Phase: Conditioning

BATTLE LOG: Experience Box (BLLVL: 2)

PROGRAMMING: Reshaping My Body for Parkour

QUEST: The Quest of A Buddha

/cry so I was working on a truck and got my pinky bit between a loaded shock and A-arm, so like 1.5 - 3 weeks (no insurance) no frog stands. And I was getting good at them .............................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OUCH. Take it easy!

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines