Waldo's Thredd

Waldo

So damn, this sucks. Less than 24 hours into my week long break and I'm dreaming about working out :disillusionment:

I need to start working on Russian dips in my quest for a muscle up I think; adding difficulty to the bar dip portion and try to strengthen the transition, where I am very weak.

currently maintaning

battle log challenges: 16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1
follow me: myfitnesspal
don't panic!

So damn, this sucks. Less than 24 hours into my week long break and I'm dreaming about working out :disillusionment:

I feel ya! I'm doing that "nuclear option" cutting you were telling me about (or at least something close to it), which means no cardio stuff, and I'm already feeling a bit pent up. I'm trying to decide if 30-45 minutes of tennis counts as cardio or not.

Level 3 Assassin

STR: 7 | DEX: 4 | STA: 4 | CON: 5 | WIS: 5 | CHA: 3

Well I'll be cutting, so there is that.

- Learning to use my left pinkie toe will be one of my goals, or at least putting forth the effort to do so.

- Working on my website regularly will be another goal.

- I think that I'm going to try out a new leg exercise and temporarily (drumroll) replace pistols as my main leg exercise. Weighted full depth skater squats are a very solid exercise, basically about the same exercise as the dorsiflexed box step ups that Jim talks about in the pistol tutorial, but using a bent leg instead of straight (enabling a much lower box). Using a box makes it a true full depth squat. I got a ton of work on skater squats when working shrimp squats (shrimp squat where you drop the rear leg in the hole = skater squat), unlike shrimps, skater squats can be loaded with 2 dumbbells. The back angle is a little better for higher loads it seems. Dunno how it'll play out exactly. I'm not looking to permanently do away with pistols, instead I envision something like I do with pushups and dips, switching back and forth every few months between them.

- I also think that I'm going to do weekly progress photos as well. Instead of in the bathroom mirror with my phone (I'm still going to do those at monthly intervals), I'm going to use my camera on a tripod with the timer and take front relaxed, side relaxed, back relaxed, front flexed, and back flexed (possibly side flexed, but that is a more complex flex). Like your weekly pictures. Since the plan is an open ended cut to basically the lowest level of fat I'm interested in going, it'll be a good way to track things.

But I am also finally going to upgrade my other progress photo taker. About time to retire the iphone 3 I've got, with its crap camera. I decided that I'm going to get a new phone, a Windows phone. Always been an Apple hater, and the Windows phone looks like everything I want in a phone. I already checked that the 4 non-apple apps I use with any regularity (weather channel, myfitnesspal, twitter, angry birds) are in fact available. Real excited for some of the features (being able to open excel files straight out of dropbox on my phone!!! ZOMG what a useful feature for a spreadsheet junkie like me). Pretty giddy to get it, have to wait until Wednesday though.

currently maintaning

don't panic!

Awesome challenge, as usual! I always find your thread fascinating - looking forward to seeing how the switch to skater squats goes. And the website! Very exciting.

Level 13 Elven Assassin
Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Current
Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe

Vid of skater squats once you're doing em?  Would love to see your take.  A quick Google search got me some vids, but nothing with weight.

I've been thinking that I need a better setup for progress photos.  Was pondering getting a small tripod for the phone so that I could get decent shots without setting up the DSLR... then I'd have to find a spot with good light... and then I lose all motivation and followthrough.

I use Google Docs and their app for spreadsheets and I like the setup, so I'll stick with the iPhone... and iPad... and Macbook Pro... and Mac Pro for now.  Yeesh.  I'm not a fanboy, but my tech certainly implies otherwise.

The screen on the Samsung is bangin' though...

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Vid of skater squats once you're doing em?  Would love to see your take.  A quick Google search got me some vids, but nothing with weight.

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=5438366

I use Google Docs and their app for spreadsheets and I like the setup, so I'll stick with the iPhone... and iPad... and Macbook Pro... and Mac Pro for now.  Yeesh.  I'm not a fanboy, but my tech certainly implies otherwise.

The screen on the Samsung is bangin' though...

LOL. Got my new phone yesterday. A Nokia. Thing is awesome, huge improvement over my old iphone 3.

I've always been a computer builder which by default makes me an Apple hater. In my work field (engineering, AutoCAD and Excel), Apple is irrelevant.

currently maintaning

don't panic!

Lacking something better to talk about due to taking exercise time off..

I look at it like this when considering Apple vs. Google vs. Microsoft:

Often when you see people write about the Windows phone shortcomings, it is all about the apps. I take it most of these reviewers/writers are dudes with a phone, a tablet, and a laptop. A lot of people have not yet come to grasp the Windows 8 reality. To explain it, I'l walk through previous realities.

Dos + Win 3x reality - Computers are stand alone boxes that can be networked together in a LAN in an enterprise setting, at home toward the end you could connect to a phone line and dial into the outside world. Most homes had no more than one computer.

Win 95/98 reality - New era where the tether to the phone line became the norm for all computers. Multiple computer households started to rise, though in general the amount of networking was limited to feeding through a router to share an internet connection, for the few that had better than dial up. Those with dial-up needed multiple lines, one for each computer. Computer to computer sharing is rare though.

Win 2000/XP reality - Multiple computers and devices in the home becomes the norm, broadband connections replace modem connections almost completely. Wifi routers begin to create real home networking and some computer to computer file sharing becomes reality. More and more devices are able to log onto the home network, including video games, DVR's, and DVD players, and toward the end, phones. Although for most computers there is limited connectitivy outside of a shared internet access point. Printers as network printers at home becomes the norm. Data storage potential and cost obsoletes the CD and the concept of music as anything other than data.

Win 7/8 reality - Functions are torn apart to be discrete points within the network. The home network becomes the new ecosystem with data sharing throughout. Storage becomes its own discrete point (along with the internet pipeline, printing). Lots of devices, simple or complex, are capable of logging onto and communicating on the network (including many houshold fuctions (the thermostat for exampe)).

Think about it nowadays. Though many have this function in their desktops, many people are moving to a backup or storage drive(s) that holds all data (documents, pictures, photos, video, movies, music, games). This is/can be backed up with cloud storage. Dedicated drives for this, even if in the desktop, begin to have a blurry relationship with the desktop and could just as easily be placed as its own node in the network (and devices are made for this task). This data itself is more important and more permanent than any devices in the network. We are also on the precipitice of of cheap data storage obsoleting the Blu-Ray (like CD's and computer games, movies and all video in general will become data and nothing more very soon, physically printed media is about to be a thing of the past). The data/media device and/or drives shared on the network is part of the win 7/8 norm.

In the modern ecosystem, discrete points include: network controller and internet pipeline, data/media storage (often with internet augmentation), powerful computers (higher end laptops, desktops, capable of running resouce hogging programs), media/internet consumption devices (low end laptops, netbooks, tablets), smartphones, media converters/controllers/temporary storage (video game console, DVR, network TV's, TVoIP devices, network music players), peripherals (printers), and control devices (thermostats, irrigation system, lighting contoller, next generation resource metering).

Within the context of the full scale modern ecosystem, Google, despite having some real impressive software, is big time lacking on the hardware side of things. Apple, with their lock and key ecosystem, will always be limited by it. The growth of the whole home network is explosive at this point, Microsoft has convered their bases far more completely than Google or Apple, though they are behind on the consumption devices and phones, that is the lowest level of the ecosystem, at the higher levels they dominate. As more and more people come to recognize the modern home network ecosystem for what it is, Microsoft is well positioned to dominate. It is all about the whole ecosystem hardware and control, not the apps, unfortunately for Apple and Google. I personally don't care too much about the apps, all of them, even Microsoft, have all the basics. As a device on the home network with control of the home network, Windows phones and tablets are already the most powerful of the bunch, and they have so much untapped capability, as Win8 matures a la XP, this will grow to absolutely blow away the competition.

currently maintaning

don't panic!

Lacking something better to talk about due to taking exercise time off..

Ha, posted just as I was wondering if you'd have time to answer a question for me...

I was all excited about all I'd learn from your next challenge thread, with a cut planned, when I realized that I don't really know how much of it will even apply to my situation. So, I'm wondering, would the style of cut you're doing make sense for someone who is overweight and has a high percentage of bodyfat?

I've been trying to figure out what my macros "should" look like in order to improve my body composition. I found this thread, but again, I'm not sure if the 1g of protein : 1pound of bodyweight is only useful for increasing muscle, or if it makes sense for decreasing fat.

(General info - I'm pretty much an omnivore, starting out at something over 30út. My current plan is to increase caloric need (activity level), because I am worried that I won't get all my micro-nutrients if I cut caloric intake. I have had problems with iron for years. Low enough hemocrit to be deferred from blood donation, not low enough to warrant a referral to my doctor.)

I look at it like this when considering Apple vs. Google vs. Microsoft:

In the modern ecosystem, discrete points include: network controller and internet pipeline, data/media storage (often with internet augmentation), powerful computers (higher end laptops, desktops, capable of running resouce hogging programs), media/internet consumption devices (low end laptops, netbooks, tablets), smartphones, media converters/controllers/temporary storage (video game console, DVR, network TV's, TVoIP devices, network music players), peripherals (printers), and control devices (thermostats, irrigation system, lighting contoller, next generation resource metering).

This is why I can still get excited about computers. There are so many more potential applications for them than what I typically see them utilized for. The winner in my book, as a consumer, is the player who makes 'stuff' (be it software or hardware) that plays well with others. Of course, that being said, the reason I've chosen the last three computers I've had boil down to them being free... which kind of means that I'm not even part of what shapes the market (at this time). But now I kind of want to take a closer look at Win8.

This used to be where  my weight loss progress bar was. Maybe it will be here again when I'm ready to face the scale and work on my fat problem.
 NewBattleLog              OldBattleLog (between challenges)

Spoiler

Don't let what you cannot do
interfere with what you can do.

-John Wooden

2013 Running Tally: I lost track in July, at 148.925  ((plus 0.5)) but I finished a Very Slow marathon in October. Then I mostly stopped.
2014 Running Tally: 134.1 miles plus 5k (as of 17 September) lost track again, but I know I had at least 147.2 plus 5k for 2014.
2015 Running Tally: 41.2 treadmilled miles & 251.93 real world miles

2016 Running Tally: 0

@ Georges- How much beef do you eat? Beef is a great source and being low on iron gives you a great excuse to eat steak. Liver is probably the best source, but I much prefer steak. Choryphlyll helps too

Wisdom 15.5   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 14  Constitution-11

Elastigirl:Just Living Life , Part II - Current Challenge: February 14 to March 20 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Georges, on 10 Apr 2013 - 11:26, said:

I was all excited about all I'd learn from your next challenge thread, with a cut planned, when I realized that I don't really know how much of it will even apply to my situation. So, I'm wondering, would the style of cut you're doing make sense for someone who is overweight and has a high percentage of bodyfat?

I've been trying to figure out what my macros "should" look like in order to improve my body composition. I found this thread, but again, I'm not sure if the 1g of protein : 1pound of bodyweight is only useful for increasing muscle, or if it makes sense for decreasing fat.

Yes and no. Yes in the sense that it will work just fine and probably be fairly easy to stick to. No in the sense that its not very aggressive (I cut @ 1 lb/wk), which tends to be needed when cutting to low BF%'s.

Much how the women's side of the fitness industry tends to give people a real warped view of reality (Sit on your butt and lose 30 lbs this week, lift those 1 lb weights to make sure your muscles don't get too big!!!), so too does the men's side of the fitness industry (take this and this and this, then sit back and watch yourself turn into baloon man!!!).

Higher protein amounts are most useful when cutting. The body has a natural tendency when cutting to eat its muscles. Having aminos from a high protein diet flooding the bloodstream tends to mitigate these effects. The body is far more protein efficient when bulking so a high protein intake isn't as necessary. For decreasing fat, 1 g/lb makes sense, though per pound lean mass is a better number than overall weight for those that are overweight. Per pound weight is overkill.

currently maintaning

don't panic!

Yes and no. Yes in the sense that it will work just fine and probably be fairly easy to stick to. No in the sense that its not very aggressive (I cut @ 1 lb/wk), which tends to be needed when cutting to low BF%'s.

Much how the women's side of the fitness industry tends to give people a real warped view of reality (Sit on your butt and lose 30 lbs this week, lift those 1 lb weights to make sure your muscles don't get too big!!!), so too does the men's side of the fitness industry (take this and this and this, then sit back and watch yourself turn into baloon man!!!).

Higher protein amounts are most useful when cutting. The body has a natural tendency when cutting to eat its muscles. Having aminos from a high protein diet flooding the bloodstream tends to mitigate these effects. The body is far more protein efficient when bulking so a high protein intake isn't as necessary. For decreasing fat, 1 g/lb makes sense, though per pound lean mass is a better number than overall weight for those that are overweight. Per pound weight is overkill.

So, 1g/lb of lean mass looks a lot more attainable, now that I've run the numbers.  It would still mean almost doubling my median daily protein.

post-5231-0-33368700-1365625056_thumb.gi

I know that the real key component is total calories, I just don't want to undermine my work at getting stronger.

If I weren't getting enough aminos, I'm guessing the sign would be a feeling like overtraining, or poor recovery.  Is there anything you look out for, or do you just run the numbers that work for you?

Not who you asked, but in the UK it has been normal to proscribe Guiness for low iron. From close experience, supplementing with chlorophyll definitely works.

A brief look at the internet tells me that Guinness as an iron supplement is wishful thinking.  Not that that will keep me away from the occasional pint.  :)

@ Georges- How much beef do you eat? Beef is a great source and being low on iron gives you a great excuse to eat steak. Liver is probably the best source, but I much prefer steak. Choryphlyll helps too

I had low iron issues before, during, and after being a vegetarian, but I could probably benefit from a bit more cowbeastie and/or liver in my diet...

The chlorophyll thing is totally new to me, so I guess I'll have to look into that.  I do dig the dark, leafy veggies, which tend to be higher in iron...

This used to be where  my weight loss progress bar was. Maybe it will be here again when I'm ready to face the scale and work on my fat problem.
 NewBattleLog              OldBattleLog (between challenges)

Spoiler

Don't let what you cannot do
interfere with what you can do.

-John Wooden

2013 Running Tally: I lost track in July, at 148.925  ((plus 0.5)) but I finished a Very Slow marathon in October. Then I mostly stopped.
2014 Running Tally: 134.1 miles plus 5k (as of 17 September) lost track again, but I know I had at least 147.2 plus 5k for 2014.
2015 Running Tally: 41.2 treadmilled miles & 251.93 real world miles

2016 Running Tally: 0

Another hat in the ring...

I'd eat protein based on your ideal body.  Not what your lean mass is now but what you'd like it to be post-weight loss.

Not a popular opinion, but, for the average trainee, I think protein "requirements" are much less radical than what we're lead to believe. I've never had a problem with strength loss during a cut and I rarely hit 1g of protein per pound of lean mass.  In fact, during this last challenge, I've actually increased strength (without training or eating to do so), and I averaged about 0.6g of protein per pound of lean mass.

• Like 1

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

So I have no idea of what is going on.  All my weight is falling off of me.

Last week was also at maintenence, but this week is an exercise break.  Last week my weight stabilized quite a bit (following the bulk), this week it is in absolute freefall.  I haven't taken measurements yet, to try to get a better picture, but this is messed up.

- The glycogen explanation is tough because last week was also at maintenence; my net calorie goals have remained the same, so I should have seen some signs last week.

- The losing my perma pump explanation is also not that good since thus far I have only missed one strength workout per bodypart.  You don't lose it that fast.  And there is still general firmness of the muscles.

- Could be that the volume of food has declined, but it really hasn't much.  Most of my dietary changes are efficiency related moreso than volume related.

- Could be that I am in fact overestimating exercise calories (this much though?).  Given how things are adjusted for results, that would mean that my base metabolism is even higher than I thought, and its already unusually high for my ht:wt even with the exercise calorie estimates I use.

- Some other unknown weirdness related to switching from overeating to maintenence?

I dunno what is going on.  Probably a combination of a few factors.  Last week my weight dropped about half a pound soon after moving to maintence (from the high 206.X are to low 206.X area) and stayed there the rest of the week.  That was likely related to food volume/glycogen.

Since Sunday though my weight has been in a free-fall.  204.X's and 205.X's earlier in the week, and this AM I was 203.6.  WTF, how the hell am I dropping weight so fast?  I also feel leaner, though this is unconfirmed with the tape measure.

Thing is, this did NOT occur last time around and hasn't happened to me yet during maintnence or a break.  At least not this extreme.  Hell this keeps going and it will end up being the easiest cut ever.

currently maintaning

don't panic!

I usually have delayed (or perhaps extended?) burn after a good workout week.  If I bust ass one week and don't train the next... I still yield the results of the training from the previous week.  Does that even make sense?

I saw this when I did the Tough Mudder Bootcamp for a week.  Busted ass that week, then did no workouts the following week.  Ate at the same calorie level for both weeks, and lost weight even though logic dictates that I should have maintained or even gained a little.

If that's what's going on then it should slow down next week.  If not, you're in for a hell of a cut... ;)

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

I noticed I haen't updated this, so....

Final challenge wrap up stats, +1 Cha for participating in the spandex challenge.

Final Stats and Measurements:

Race: Corellian 
Class: Assassin
Level: 7 (+1) -> 8

STR: 18.50 (+2.75) -> 21.25
DEX: 15.75 (+2.00) -> 17.75
STA: 10.25 (+2.25) -> 12.50
CON: 11.50 (+3.00) -> 14.50
WIS: 19.50 (+1.25) -> 20.75
CHA: 16.50 (+1.50) -> 18.00

Height: 6'1"
Weight: 203.9 -> 206.0 (+2.1 lb
Est BF% - 12.5% -> 12.6% (+0.1%)

Neck: 16.3" -> 16.6" (+0.3")
Chest: 48.5" -> 49.1" (+0.6" )
Flexed Abs: 32.9" -> 33.1" (+0.2")
Unflexed Belly: 30.0" -> 30.3" (+0.3")
Glutes: 41.4" -> 41.6" (+0.2")

R Bicep: 15.5" -> 15.8" (+0.3")
R Forearm: 12.6" -> 12.9" (+0.3")
L Bicep: 15.1" -> 15.3" (+0.2")
L Forearm: 12.4" -> 12.6" (+0.2")

R Thigh: 26.3" -> 26.3" (+0.0")
R Quad: 23.9" -> 24.3" (+0.4")
R Calf: 16.3" -> 16.4" (+0.1")
L Thigh: 26.0" -> 26.0" (+0.0")
L Quad: 23.4" -> 24.1" (+0.7")
L Calf: 15.6" -> 15.8" (+0.2")

currently maintaning

don't panic!

You lucky men and your lucky metabolisms. Ugh. (Says the chick who's not even definitively cutting or bulking, lawl.)

Waldo, seeing as you're looking into more leg options, how would you list pure BW progressions of the pistol? Which variations are more advanced than others, etc?

Train hard. Drink tea.

Assisted w/object (or door/etc)

Box pistol (using a chair or footstool)

Leaning forward pistol

Sit down pistol (sit on the floor at the bottom of each rep)

Upright pistol (hold the other leg parallel throughout, keep your torso upright)

Jump pistol

1.5 rep pistol (go up halfway, pause, then go back down and do a full rep)

Hands behind head leaning forward pistol

Hands on shoulders upright pistol

Jump-switch pistol

Hands behind the lower back pistol

List probably isn't perfect, but that's pretty close.

Have you tried hands behind the back pistols?  I'm curious as to how much of a role flexibility plays in the perceived load.  I'm pretty bendy for a dude, but I'm pretty sure you've got me beat big time in the flexibility department.  Oddly enough, the hands behind the back pistol is I beleive the hardest BW ab exercise I know of.  One single rep and my abs are on fire.  I really have no idea why though.  I'd really like to know more about the exercise, the problem is that I'm the only person I know of or read about that can even do a single rep, and I can only do one rep, with my stronger leg.

currently maintaning

don't panic!

Any other changes in diet? I know I'll free-fall a bit if I forget my creatine for a couple of days....

Make sure you link your new challenge here when you start mkaaaay?

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines