Small step for man, giant leap for drsloomis

drsloomis

Still fleshing out my goals for this challenge, but wanted to go ahead and get a thread started. Here's what I know at this point:

Fit Goal 1 (STR +3, STA +2)

Mud on your face, but not a disgrace: Spartan WOD at least 4 x per week to prep for Tough Mudder / Spartan Run (to be completed in 2013) / Tough Mudder circuit 1 x per week.

Fit Goal 2 (CON +3)

Water water everywhere and I'm not drinking enough of it: straight water, gallon 96 oz a day (lowered the amount cause hitting a gallon was tough without feeling my eyeballs float)

Fit Goal 3 (DEX +3)

Bend like a reed in the wind: Yoga 3 x per week

Life Goal 1 (WIS +2, CHA +2)

The house that drsloomis built: complete 1 household task per week (i.e., replace porch posts, fix leaky faucet, etc.)

Bonus goal: complete guitar goal from last challenge (no points, but will help me with my Van Halen-esque life goal of making sure I finish what I started).

Will assign points later today / early tomorrow.

drsloomis: level 5 human assassin

STR: 15 | DEX: 17 | CON: 12 | STA: 12 | WIS: 14 | CHA: 8

Current Challenge

Yay, Drsloomis returns to the assassins!

Wisdom 18   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 16  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Just a thought on your home repairs...I've owned a few fixer-upers, and sometimes the one day fix becomes a month long project because you uncover deeper issues.  I say this because you might have trouble meeting one completed project a week through no fault of your own even though you're putting in the time and effort.  Wouldn't want you to feel like you didn't succeed when you really overachieved.

Cro Magnon Assassin

"Hold my beer and watch this..."

Can you play that solo from "Beat It?" I think that'd be a good finale to this challenge!

Glad you're back.

The scary thing is I used to be able to--my guess is it would come back to me fairly quickly. ;)

Nice goals- I'm doing house tasks this challenge, too! Looking forward to following your progress.

You a member of accountabilibuddy group yet? Thinking about starting one specifically for people with house projects!

Just a thought on your home repairs...I've owned a few fixer-upers, and sometimes the one day fix becomes a month long project because you uncover deeper issues.  I say this because you might have trouble meeting one completed project a week through no fault of your own even though you're putting in the time and effort.  Wouldn't want you to feel like you didn't succeed when you really overachieved.

I've already taken that into account in picking the projects. All projects are things that have already been thoroughly examined and vetted and can be completed in a single weekend max (or over the course of a week, as time and need allows)--that's why you won't see replace soffit boards (not entirely sure what I'm going to find underneath them!).

Current Challenge

You a member of accountabilibuddy group yet? Thinking about starting one specifically for people with house projects!

Ooh, nope, haven't done accountabilibuddies yet. Could be awesome!

Level 13 Elven Assassin
Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Current
Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe

Good to see you back! Love your goals, good luck! 

#2 just reminded me that when I was growing up (and to this day, actually) my father was convinced that therw is nothing that can't be cured by drinking a metric sh*tload of water. I drink water constantly as a result. I don't get sick very often, but I don't know how related that is. Anyway, can't hurt!

"In the silence of your bones and eyes forgotten magic sits and waits for fire." 

-Robert Montgomery

Assassin Crest

human assassin | viper jock
STA: 6.25 | STR: 6.5 | CHA: 9 | WIS: 12 | DEX: 5 | CON: 6.5

Sister's Getting Swole: Starbuck Vs. IrishAmazon

Fitocracy

Welcome back! I'm glad to see you around again. :)

Good to see you back, too! Yours was one of the first threads I followed in my early NF days.

Ooh, nope, haven't done accountabilibuddies yet. Could be awesome!

It's a great way to focus on specific goals with a small group, especially if you all share a common theme.

#2 just reminded me that when I was growing up (and to this day, actually) my father was convinced that therw is nothing that can't be cured by drinking a metric sh*tload of water. I drink water constantly as a result. I don't get sick very often, but I don't know how related that is. Anyway, can't hurt!

I tried converting metric sh*tloads to gallons, but couldn't find anything on google. ;) I cut sodas out completely last year, and drink mostly water with the occasional fruit juice / almond milk smoothie. Sadly, I know I'm not drinking anywhere near enough of it...making myself consciously focus on how much I'm drinking will help.

Once again, nice goals! And it sounds like you have a solid plan of how you're going to tackle your house goal too 

The nice thing about the house goal is that I'm not lacking for stuff to do--I've got a list about a mile long to choose from!

Updated goals to add point values.

Current Challenge

Subbed, and here to keep you honest!

&,
Amazon of the Way

Gypsy Druid Paladin

Ranger Year 1: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 

Druid Year 2: 8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |Year 3: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |Year 4: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |Year 5: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |Year 6: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |Year 7: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |Year 8: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 |

Local Foods Guru | Financial Freedom Fighter | Minimalism Yoda | Smaug-Slayer
Heidi Chronicles My NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed | Amazon of Awesome | MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Good to see you back, too! Yours was one of the first threads I followed in my early NF days.

It's a great way to focus on specific goals with a small group, especially if you all share a common theme.

I tried converting metric sh*tloads to gallons, but couldn't find anything on google. ;) I cut sodas out completely last year, and drink mostly water with the occasional fruit juice / almond milk smoothie. Sadly, I know I'm not drinking anywhere near enough of it...making myself consciously focus on how much I'm drinking will help.

The nice thing about the house goal is that I'm not lacking for stuff to do--I've got a list about a mile long to choose from!

Updated goals to add point values.

I don't suppose you've considered metric sh*tloads of barley water?  I hear it's right up there with liquid grains and old juice:)

Cro Magnon Assassin

"Hold my beer and watch this..."

Yay for water goals! I'm in the same boat.. don't drink soda and very rarely drink juice. The occasional coffee and those damn liquid grains are pretty much my only fluid intake, which is no bueno!

Does cleaning house count as home improvement projects?

Oh, and I'm right behind you with the Tough Mudder goals. I am not sure yet whether I'm doing the one coming up in June (no way am I going to be ready.. doesn't mean I won't try) but I think my life will vastly increase in epicness if I complete one by 2014. I will definitely be doing Rugged Maniac this year, for the second year in a row. Have to kick the boyfriend's ass, he wasn't even a runner and seriously shamed me last year when I dragged him along.

Lvl. 2 Ranger Assassin Shapeshifter

STR - 3 | DEX - 3 | STA - 7 | CON - 4 | WIS - 4 | CHA - 4

Current Challenge: Breaking Chains

(Really) Old Challenges 1 | 2 | 3

Day One WO: Spartan 1/4; Mudder 0/1. 20 min casual run...I kid you not. That was the suggested workout for today. Given how absolutely insane mst of the WoDs are, I didn't argue. Water: 100 oz. Not a gallon, but pretty close. Yoga: 0 / 3 House: haven't settled on this week's project yet, but am leaning towards stripping and reselling the porch posts and replacing the molding.

Current Challenge

Nice work on the water. I live in the desert, and I don't drink enough. That'll change when it hits 120 degrees! :)

I have almost the opposite problem--the humidity hits upwards of 90% in the summers and the last thing you want to drink is water when being outdoors feels like a sauna.

Current Challenge

90% humidity? Ew! How'd day 2 go?

That's upwards of 90...evil stuff.

DAY 2

WO: Spartan 1/4; Mudder 0/1. Early morning interview and an evening playing taxi dad meant no workout, but I did schedule my workouts (at least the ones NOT based on emails I get at midnight) through the next couple of weeks. FYI here was today's WO:

Jog 1 mile easy to the hill

Find a .5 mile hill (preferably in the woods with rocks and roots in the way)

Run all out to the top of the hill

Moderate jog to the bottom of the hill

At the bottom of the hill do 10 burpees, 10 squat jumps, 10 pushups, 10 side lunge jumps

Repeat 5 times

Jog 1 mile easy to cool down

They don't play.

Water: 96 oz. Hittin' a gallon's tough, but my water intake is definitely up.

Yoga: 0 / 3

House: No update.

Current Challenge

AM Workout: Spartan WoD

Energy Level: Low...oh so very low

First early morning workout in several days, and holy crap was it hard making myself get up & work! Here was today's circuit:

Warm-up

{For repeat = 1 to 10 Step 1}

10 Burpees

10 Jumping Lunges

30 Crunches

15 Bicycle Kicks

Run 1/4 mile

{Next}

Cool Down

Ratings:

Strength    3

Endurance    2

Speed    2

Subbed the jump rope warm up from Asylum for the 1/4 mile run since it was raining outside (three minutes of jumping rope using high knees, low squat, and in / out positions for a minute each). This circuit is done for time (as in try to complete 10 reps as quickly as possible), but I made it four and a half reps before I was just done. One more burpee and my heart was going to explode, or at least so it felt. That was the good news.

The bad news? Spartan rates its workouts in three areas (Strength, Endurance, and Speed) on a scale of 1 to 5 (1 being easiest, 5 being hardest). See those ratings up there? Spartan seems to think this is an average to light workout!

I got some work to do.

Current Challenge

As some of you know, one of my challenge goals early last year was to pass the Praxis tests as a step towards my teaching certification (i'm following the rather unorthodox path of starting in administration and moving back to the classroom!). Fast forward to literally today, and the fact that I've just been offered a teaching position at the high school near my house...the one that two of my children will be attending next year. This is truly AWESOME news except that it means having to leave my current school mid-year. While I'm not under contract (so there will be no legal repercussions), it's still a tough move because it's going to mean a VERY unpleasant conversation with my current headmaster and two weeks of long days to make sure my areas are adequately covered.

It's not a question of whether or not I take the job...it's what I seriously want and have been working towards for a while...but the uncertainty and newness of it all can be rather anxiety-inducing.

Current Challenge

Congrats on the new job! Maybe you should just send your resignation by text? :highly_amused:

Wisdom 18   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 16  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

That's upwards of 90...evil stuff.

DAY 2

WO: Soartan 1/4; Mudder 0/1. Early morning interview and an evening playing taxi dad meant no workout, but I did schedule my workouts (at least the ones NOT based on emails I get at midnight) through the next couple of weeks. FYI here was today's WO:

Jog 1 mile easy to the hill

Find a .5 mile hill (preferably in the woods with rocks and roots in the way)

Run all out to the top of the hill

Moderate jog to the bottom of the hill

At the bottom of the hill do 10 burpees, 10 squat jumps, 10 pushups, 10 side lunge jumps

Repeat 5 times

Jog 1 mile easy to cool down

They don't play.

Water: 96 oz. Hittin' a gallon's tough, but my water intake is definitely up.

Yoga: 0 / 3

House: No update.

Holy cow, they really don't play. Half a mile full speed up hill? Oh heck no.

A gallon is a lot of water, I bet it is hard. I did 96 oz yesterday and that was making myself drink 32 oz. at work. I peed 9 times between 3:30pm and 11. Freaking annoying.

Lvl. 2 Ranger Assassin Shapeshifter

STR - 3 | DEX - 3 | STA - 7 | CON - 4 | WIS - 4 | CHA - 4

Current Challenge: Breaking Chains

(Really) Old Challenges 1 | 2 | 3

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines