Small step for man, giant leap for drsloomis

drsloomis

As some of you know, one of my challenge goals early last year was to pass the Praxis tests as a step towards my teaching certification (i'm following the rather unorthodox path of starting in administration and moving back to the classroom!). Fast forward to literally today, and the fact that I've just been offered a teaching position at the high school near my house...the one that two of my children will be attending next year. This is truly AWESOME news except that it means having to leave my current school mid-year. While I'm not under contract (so there will be no legal repercussions), it's still a tough move because it's going to mean a VERY unpleasant conversation with my current headmaster and two weeks of long days to make sure my areas are adequately covered.

It's not a question of whether or not I take the job...it's what I seriously want and have been working towards for a while...but the uncertainty and newness of it all can be rather anxiety-inducing.

W00T for achieving your goal - and I totally understand the anxiety, big changes are always a little scary, even if they're awesome, just because you don't really know what's coming. You'll be fine, though, and it sounds like you're doing your best to leave your current school in a good situation. Go you!

Level 13 Elven Assassin
Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Current
Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe

AM Workout: Spartan WoD

Energy Level: Low...oh so very low

First early morning workout in several days, and holy crap was it hard making myself get up & work! Here was today's circuit:

Warm-up

{For repeat = 1 to 10 Step 1}

10 Burpees

10 Jumping Lunges

30 Crunches

15 Bicycle Kicks

Run 1/4 mile

{Next}

Cool Down

Ratings:

Strength    3

Endurance    2

Speed    2

Subbed the jump rope warm up from Asylum for the 1/4 mile run since it was raining outside (three minutes of jumping rope using high knees, low squat, and in / out positions for a minute each). This circuit is done for time (as in try to complete 10 reps as quickly as possible), but I made it four and a half reps before I was just done. One more burpee and my heart was going to explode, or at least so it felt. That was the good news.

The bad news? Spartan rates its workouts in three areas (Strength, Endurance, and Speed) on a scale of 1 to 5 (1 being easiest, 5 being hardest). See those ratings up there? Spartan seems to think this is an average to light workout!

I got some work to do.

Just a thought here...when someone calls their workout system something like "spartan" they're probably trying to make Olympic level athletes puke.  Good job, Jr Olympian:)

Cro Magnon Assassin

"Hold my beer and watch this..."

As some of you know, one of my challenge goals early last year was to pass the Praxis tests as a step towards my teaching certification (i'm following the rather unorthodox path of starting in administration and moving back to the classroom!). Fast forward to literally today, and the fact that I've just been offered a teaching position at the high school near my house...the one that two of my children will be attending next year. This is truly AWESOME news except that it means having to leave my current school mid-year. While I'm not under contract (so there will be no legal repercussions), it's still a tough move because it's going to mean a VERY unpleasant conversation with my current headmaster and two weeks of long days to make sure my areas are adequately covered.

It's not a question of whether or not I take the job...it's what I seriously want and have been working towards for a while...but the uncertainty and newness of it all can be rather anxiety-inducing.

Alternatively, you could go into "Beast Mode", tell your current Headmaster about this job and give him the chance to make you a better offer...it's great that you're moving up, congratulations!

Cro Magnon Assassin

Total congrats on the job thing!

love & peace,

Heidi

&,
Amazon of the Way

Gypsy Druid Paladin

Ranger Year 1: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 

Druid Year 2: 8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |Year 3: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |Year 4: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |Year 5: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |Year 6: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |Year 7: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |Year 8: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 |

Local Foods Guru | Financial Freedom Fighter | Minimalism Yoda | Smaug-Slayer
Heidi Chronicles My NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed | Amazon of Awesome | MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Day 3

DAY 2

WO: Spartan 2/4; Mudder 0/1. Deets of this morning's Spartan WoD are posted above. PM workout was upper body work focusing on a circuit of chest, back, shoulders, biceps, triceps. Planning on hitting the Tough Mudder circuit Friday evening or Saturday morning.

Water: 128 oz. A gallon! Yay! And Basscrack is right...that's a LOT of water. I may adjust my goal down a bit.

Yoga: 0 / 3

House: Replacing the gaskets / handles in the downstairs shower has moved to the top of the list at the request of my wife. Will be heading to Lowe's tomorrow to purchase said gaskets / handles and replacing them before the weekend for an easy first week project!

drsloomis: level 5 human assassin

STR: 15 | DEX: 17 | CON: 12 | STA: 12 | WIS: 14 | CHA: 8

Current Challenge

You're going to have a very yoga-y weekend if you wanna hit that goal!

I could be down with that.

&,
Amazon of the Way

Gypsy Druid Paladin

Druid Year 2: 8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |Year 3: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |Year 4: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |Year 5: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |Year 6: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |Year 7: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |Year 8: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 |

Heidi Chronicles My NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed | Amazon of Awesome | MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Haven't posted much because of LOTS of life changes / stress (the good kind), but I have kept up with the workouts...mostly.

Yesterday's modified workout:

Chest & Back

Standard Push-Ups    24

Wide Grip Pull-Ups    12

Military Push-Ups    24

Reverse Grip Chin-Ups    10

Wide Fly Push-Ups    24

Close Grip Pull-Ups   12

Decline Push-Ups    24

Heavy Pants    16r@40#

Diamond Push-Ups    20

Lawnmowers    12r@50#

Divebomber Push-Ups    20

Seated Bent Over Back Flys    12r@50#

Treadmill Circuit

0.5 mi @ 4 mph

100 meters @ 6 mph

0.5 mi @ 4 mph

40 m @ 8 mph

15 burpees

0.5 mi @ 4.5 mph

100 meters @ 6 mph

0.5 mi @ 4.5 mph

40 m @ 8 mph

15 burpees

0.5 mi @ 5 mph

100 meters @ 6 mph

0.5 mi @ 5 mph

40 m @ 8 mph

15 burpees

Week 1 Wrap-Up

WO: Spartan 4/4; Mudder 0.5/1 A-

The fact that the Mudderling circuit was so difficult for me only shows me how far I have to go to get ready for the run. I did get four Spartan workouts in, though some of them I had to modify.

Water: 5/7 B+

The plus is for getting it in the five days and coming awfully close the other two. Need to modify this goal down a bit, as a gallon is really tough to hit. Changing it to 96 ounces, which I seem to be able to hit without issue.

Yoga: 2 / 3 B-

Started working yoga in late in the week and simply ran out of time. Won't make that mistake again.

House 1/6 A

Replaced gaskets / stems on downstairs shower.

Not a bad week, especially given how crazy things went towards the end. The next 2-3 weeks will be similarly crazy, what with trying to wrap things up at my current job and starting the new one, but it's a good kind of crazy--unfortunately, I've read that the body doesn't distinguish between good stress and bad, so staying on top of my workouts (especially the mind-clearing yoga) will help keep me sane.

Current Challenge

Way to go, you!

&,
Amazon of the Way

Gypsy Druid Paladin

Good job on week 1:)  About the new job, will you be coming in at the beginning of the semester then?  Seems late in the year, but school calendars vary.  Anyway, you gotta be excited, and even if the body thinks stress is stress, being stoked dumps it's own load of hormones that take off the edge.  Good luck with the yoga, let us know what enlightenment looks like from inside the pretzel pose:)

Cro Magnon Assassin

Yay for updates! Congrats on a great first week full of lots of awesome news and excitement! Way to still fit in fitness with all the happy stress craziness going on.

I just signed up for the Spartan WoDs (on your suggestion) and saw that workout yesterday. Haven't quite figured out what to make of their formatting. I like the circuits you created. I'm quickly starting to learn that when it comes to exercise, anything out of my comfort zone can really turn me off. Glad I somehow managed to find a comfort zone that included working out at all before developing THAT annoying little behavior.

Lvl. 2 Ranger Assassin Shapeshifter

STR - 3 | DEX - 3 | STA - 7 | CON - 4 | WIS - 4 | CHA - 4

Current Challenge: Breaking Chains

(Really) Old Challenges 1 | 2 | 3

You know what would be an awesome reward for all this hard work you're putting in at home (with your workouts) and at work (with the new job)?  A new T-shirt.  And do you know how to get yourself a new T-shirt?  By keeping up with your workouts and showing a fuzzy mutant what's what.

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

Thanks all for the encouragement! It's been a CRAZY week, and looks to get crazier this next one, but my workouts and challenge goals are helping keep me sane!

Way to go, you!

Thanks! Always good to hear from the Fellowship!!!

Good job on week 1:)  About the new job, will you be coming in at the beginning of the semester then?  Seems late in the year, but school calendars vary.  Anyway, you gotta be excited, and even if the body thinks stress is stress, being stoked dumps it's own load of hormones that take off the edge.  Good luck with the yoga, let us know what enlightenment looks like from inside the pretzel pose:)

Actually, they had a teacher resign mid-year, so I'll be filling that position. Long story, but it's a seriously once in a lifetime opportunity and one that, as anxiety-inducing as the whole process of changing jobs can be,  I'll regret if I don't take it.

So far, I've hit two yoga sessions this week, so should make my goal. I used to HATE yoga, but have come to actually start to enjoy it.

Looks like you kicked off the challenge with a solid week! This seems to be the week of broken showers though, my shower head broke a couple days ago and when I mentioned it to a friend yesterday she said hers is in the process of breaking. Maybe they're conspiring?

I fixed one of two. The upstairs one may be going down this week--starting off with some easy projects to get me going before tackling some of the harder ones on my list.

Yay for updates! Congrats on a great first week full of lots of awesome news and excitement! Way to still fit in fitness with all the happy stress craziness going on.

I just signed up for the Spartan WoDs (on your suggestion) and saw that workout yesterday. Haven't quite figured out what to make of their formatting. I like the circuits you created. I'm quickly starting to learn that when it comes to exercise, anything out of my comfort zone can really turn me off. Glad I somehow managed to find a comfort zone that included working out at all before developing THAT annoying little behavior.

The format is a little...uh...lacking. But I generally try to take whatever they send out and turn it into a circuit if possible. Breaks up the monotony and still gets the work in.

You know what would be an awesome reward for all this hard work you're putting in at home (with your workouts) and at work (with the new job)?  A new T-shirt.  And do you know how to get yourself a new T-shirt?  By keeping up with your workouts and showing a fuzzy mutant what's what.

I gave you the week advantage 'cause I like a challenge. ;)

Wow. Amazing first week. I'm impressed. 

Thanks! Looking forward to much more this challenge!

Current Challenge

Updates:

3/5

WO: Spartan 1/4; Mudder 0/1.

Did the following circuit

1 minute of burpees
30 seconds rest

1 minute of jumping lunges
30 seconds rest

1 minute plank
30 seconds rest

(repeat 3-10 times)

Run 2 miles at aerobic pace

Water: 96 oz. Decided to drop my goal to a 3/4 gallon--I should be able to hit that most days, and I was floating trying to hit a gallon!

Yoga: 1 / 3 AM Yoga, Standing Poses

House: Have my eye on replacing the upstairs shower handles / gaskets / etc. this week.

3/6

WO: Spartan 2/4; Mudder 0/1.

Yesterday was a double-up workout--resistance followed by Spartan WoD:

Shoulders Bis Tris

Alternating Shoulder Press 12r@30#; 12r@30#
In & Out Bicep Curls 10r@30#; 10r@30#
Two-Arm Tricep Kickbacks 10r@25#; 10r@25#

Deep Swimmer's Press 12r@30#; 12r@30#
Full Supination Concentration Curls 10r@30#; 10r@30#
Chair Dips 20; 20

Upright Rows 10r@30#; 10r@30#
Static Arm Curls 16r@25#; 16r@25#
Flip-Grip Twist Tricep Kickbacks 10r@25#; 10r@25#

Seated Two-Angle Shoulder Flys 12r@25#; 12r@25#
Crouching Cohen Curls 8r@25#; 8r@25#
Lying-Down Tricep Extensions 15r@25#; 15r@25#

In & Out Straight Arm Shoulder Flys 10r@20#; 16r@15#

Spartan WoD

100 Jumping Jacks

30 Burpees

30 Box Jumps

Run 2+ miles

Water: 96 oz.

Yoga: 2 / 3 AM Yoga, Forward Bends

House: No update

Current Challenge

Holy crapola.

That workout.

I winced when I read it!

I'm still sore! Still, had to push through and carry on.

3/7

Recovery day. Light 3 mi run in the AM and nothing in the PM.

WO: Spartan 2/4; Mudder 0/1.

Yoga: 2 / 3 Last yoga of the week is scheduled for Saturday, so no update here.

House: No update

3/8

Another double-up day. Chest & Back followed by another Spartan WoD.

WO: Spartan 3/4; Mudder 0/1.

Chest & Back

Standard Push-Ups    30; 20

Wide Front Pull-Ups    10; 8

Military Push-Ups    30; 20

Reverse Grip Chin-Ups    10; 8

Wide Fly Push-Ups    30; 20

Close Grip Pull-Ups    10; 8

Decline Push-Ups (Toes on stability ball / hands on push-up stands)    30; 20

Heavy Pants    16r@45#; 12r@50#

Diamond Push-Ups    30; 20

Lawnmowers    12r@50#; 12r@50#

Dive Bomber Push-Ups    25; 20

Back Flys    16r@50; 10r@55#

Spartan WoD

Hill Sprints Circuit (6x)

Run uphill 30 secs

Walk down 45 secs

...had to modify the last four circuits...

Run uphill 15 secs

Walk down 30 secs

Finish up with 30 burpees.

Pass out. ;)

Yoga: 2 / 3 Yoga X tomorrow...woot!

House: Faucet repair on tap for this weekend (no pun intended).

Current Challenge

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines