Anivair's Back in the Rack Challenge

Anivair

Sheesh!  I leave for like two months and you guys redecorate without me!  Glad you didn't change the locks. 

I like the new look, but I hate when my whole post vanishes (which happened to me just a moment ago).  Bugger. 

So ... I sort of took about 2 months off heavy training and I'm getting back into it.  I also took about 2 months to realize that I have a seriously freaking ice cream addiction.  Tried to quit cold turkey at new years.  Lasted a week.  Yeesh. So here's my new approach   I treat myself on Friday IF my diet was clean the rest of the week.  that gives me only one say to have bad food AND it gives me 6 days where I am motivated to keep my diet clean . if my diet sucks that week?  I want a week.  Fair. So far so good. 

Meantime, my goals are sort of like this: 

a:  CUBE lifting and MovNat workouts to get back into gains and to train for the Mud Ninja

b:  Keep the diet clean (as mentioned above)

c:  keep money saved (the house needs to be evaluated soon and it will require some work) so I'm going to limit eating out to once during the week and twice (tops) on the weekend. This should save me some money to put in savings. 

So my REAL goals are: 

15% lift improvement (from now)

10 pound fat loss (recalculated based on BFP loss, not based on just my weight)

Save an extra 250 dollars. 

Rewards:  Let's go with

15% lifts:  3 strepgth (+1 for every additional 5%)

10 pounds fat lost:  2 dex, 2 stamina (+1 stamina if it's more)

250 dollars: 3 wisdom (+1 for every hundred after)

That gives me goals plus a reason to exceed them.  

Level 3 Human Ranger
STR: 9 DEX: 5.25 STA: 14.5 CON: 5.5 WIS: 16 CHA: 5.5 
My Current Challenge

Glad to see you back Anivair!

Also, you get 15 points towards stats. You have more left!!! :)

I know.  I'm leaving room for all those optional points.  I hope to get all 15.

thanks for the welcome back, all.  

First update:  tweaked my back doing squats.  it was only 205, so I suspect I just went too long between sets and let myself get cold.  Stopped and rolled as soon as I felt it.  I should be okay tomorrow, but we'll see.  The rest of the workout was chins and heavy bag. 

Level 3 Human Ranger
My Current Challenge

So how is this going?  

The first week wasn't that great of the ice cream thing.  I hurt my back squatting* (it's getting better and it was entirely my fault).  I felt bad for myself so I ate crap.  This is driving me nuts. 

So today, with no preamble, I started the 21 Day sugar detox.  I need to break sugar addiction and get healthy.  So that's what I'm doing.  I will admit to having gone for deep dish pizza last night to kick off the last night of any sort of sugar or carbs for the next 21 days, (totally worth it, IMO, it's delicious stuff) but today it's on.  

So far it's been a fast for breakfast (to get me last the pizza hump) with some nuts to snack on.  Lunch was a ribeye steak and veggies.  Nonsweetened tea**.  Half a bottle of kombucha (home brewed, so I know it's got no crap in it).  So far so good.  I know the next few days will suck, but I can do it.  I've done worse. 

I'm skipping the MovNat meetup tomorrow to help give my back time to heal, but I will be getting back into the workout protocal probably next week.  I'm super excited about it. 

See you all on Monday. 

* I waited too long between sets.  I put up 135 as a warm up and then added 35's to each side and let myself get cold again (I probably went 8 minutes between sets).  Tried to put up 205 cold and my back was mad.  I suspect I rounded at the bottom and it just went.  I stopped and rolled out immediately, but it was really bad for about 2 days.  Now it's just stiff.  

**It pisses me off when people say "unsweet tea".  Tea is not unsweetened.  It isn't sweet to start with.  Unsweetened means that you started with sweet tea and then removed the sweet.  What they mean is non-sweetened tea.  I call that "tea".  

Level 3 Human Ranger
My Current Challenge

I know.  I'm leaving room for all those optional points.  I hope to get all 15.

thanks for the welcome back, all.  

First update:  tweaked my back doing squats.  it was only 205, so I suspect I just went too long between sets and let myself get cold.  Stopped and rolled as soon as I felt it.  I should be okay tomorrow, but we'll see.  The rest of the workout was chins and heavy bag. 

Ahh, sorry about that. I misunderstood. :)

So how is this going?  

The first week wasn't that great of the ice cream thing.  I hurt my back squatting* (it's getting better and it was entirely my fault).  I felt bad for myself so I ate crap.  This is driving me nuts. 

So today, with no preamble, I started the 21 Day sugar detox.  I need to break sugar addiction and get healthy.  So that's what I'm doing.  I will admit to having gone for deep dish pizza last night to kick off the last night of any sort of sugar or carbs for the next 21 days, (totally worth it, IMO, it's delicious stuff) but today it's on.  

So far it's been a fast for breakfast (to get me last the pizza hump) with some nuts to snack on.  Lunch was a ribeye steak and veggies.  Nonsweetened tea**.  Half a bottle of kombucha (home brewed, so I know it's got no crap in it).  So far so good.  I know the next few days will suck, but I can do it.  I've done worse. 

I'm skipping the MovNat meetup tomorrow to help give my back time to heal, but I will be getting back into the workout protocal probably next week.  I'm super excited about it. 

See you all on Monday. 

* I waited too long between sets.  I put up 135 as a warm up and then added 35's to each side and let myself get cold again (I probably went 8 minutes between sets).  Tried to put up 205 cold and my back was mad.  I suspect I rounded at the bottom and it just went.  I stopped and rolled out immediately, but it was really bad for about 2 days.  Now it's just stiff.  

**It pisses me off when people say "unsweet tea".  Tea is not unsweetened.  It isn't sweet to start with.  Unsweetened means that you started with sweet tea and then removed the sweet.  What they mean is non-sweetened tea.  I call that "tea".  

Good luck with the detox. It's worth it. :)

Sugar Detox:  So far so good.  I'm craving dark chocolate and dates, but I'll let it go.  Snacking on nuts instead. Yes, it's emotional eating, but it's better than emotionally eating a gallon of ice cream. 

The back is better, but not great.  Going to play with some exercise today and see how it feels, but I'll go easy on it. Feel like a kink in the right hip now.  Weird. 

The back is sort of slowing down the rest of my progress, but I'm not changing my goals at all.  I'll see how close I get.  Life happens. 

Level 3 Human Ranger
My Current Challenge

I wanted to start taking pictures of my food, but I was too busy eating to do that.  Breakfast was an omelet (with beef in it) and bacon.  No veggies because waffle house is not ideal.  Drinking tea.  I'll try pictures at lunch.  they will all be on my tumblr, for those of you eager to follow that piece of fitness fun. 

Back still pretty sore (more the hips now).  Crawling today to help that. 

Level 3 Human Ranger
My Current Challenge

Getting better about food pictures.  Dinner was particularly neat, so go look. 

Meantime:  Back is getting better.  I feel like I'll be good to go in a few days. 

The sugar cravings have hit big time.  I'm getting the foggy headed nonsense and feeling like eating everything in sight.  I'm pushing through it and adding in good fat where I can and eating protein to keep myself full, but when the desire to eat is not about being hungry, that's sketchy. 

I'm very eager to keep motivated, but it's getting rough.  Fingers crossed. 

Level 3 Human Ranger
My Current Challenge

Hey man, you doin' alright?

Yuppers.  I was just about to post about that. 

So the 21 Day Sugar detox is still going well.  Weight loss continues (as expected) and I feel good.  The physical cravings are, of course, gone by now, though the psychological ones are still going strong.  I am starting to realize that those will never go away entirely.  My wife wants ot do one of these next month, so I think I might take a few days off the detox and then start with her next month. 

As for lifting:  my back is finally well enough that I felt okay about doing some light lifting.  I squatted yesterday and it was fine.  it was light (only 125) but it was more than I have squatted in a month and it was a good start.  I did a pretty basicaly 3x5 and then stopped before I pressed my luck.  the rest of the workout was heavy bag (I love having it hanging in the middle of the room.  It is perfect for kicks, knees, elbows, and punching).  

So overall, I'm not right where I WANTED to be for this challenge, but I'm in a good place despite the injurious setback. 

Level 3 Human Ranger
My Current Challenge

For those of you wondering how the 21 Day Sugar Detox went .... it's over. 

It is now day 22.  I went all 21 days without ingesting a lick of sugar, artificial sweeteners (I did once accidentally get a mouthful of day old diet coke that I thought was iced tea) or anything that might turn into sugar in my body like rice or corn or whatever. 

How was it?  Not that hard, really.  For the first half I over-snacked on nuts as bit, but in my defense, I was coming down off of a sugar craving like crazy.  

I lost 9+ pounds (still waiting till this last pound levels out from post-workout-swelling before I say it's an even ten) and all of that was fat and water.    I feel pretty good about that, but mostly I feel good that I went 21 days without any sugar at all.  I don't really know if my pallet changed, though the last time I had collared greens they tasted really sweet to me, so maybe.  I'm waiting till lunch to try my first sweet thing:  a little bit of very dark chocolate.  

To be honest, I'm a bit afraid to let myself go at all at this point, so I think i'm going to keep this up.  What I might do is maintain this sugar detox for the first 21 days of every month and then add in some fruits, paleo treats,  etc at the very end of the month.  I think i could probably maintain that for a long time. 

Workout number 2 went fine (I'm working on chins and pulls, so I did a LOT of slow chin up style let downs and some bench pressing to even the top out, plus a lot of heavy bag work).  Still feeling the after effects.  I can do a chin up, but I think I rarely get a full range of motion.  Doing the reverses really let me work a lot of side and back muscles that I rarely use during chins because I can do one at a time (2, tops) and they're rarely a very large range of motion.  I think this will help me out a lot there. 

Level 3 Human Ranger
My Current Challenge

Time for the tear-down and ultimate check-in for this challenge.  

here were my goals (for those of you who hate scrolling): 

• 15% lift improvement (from now)
  • 10 pound fat loss (recalculated based on BFP loss, not based on just my weight)
  • Save an extra 250 dollars. 

How did I do? 

Well, my lifting was interrupted by injuring my back.  In that time my squat dropped (at the lowest) to 0 pounds and is now back to where I started thanks to taking rehab slow.  So I'll call that a win, but no points.  My bench is up 20%, but that is not ALL lifts, so I'm going to award myself 1 strength and be okay with that.  Cube method IS working, though.  

I did lost ten pounds of fat.  then a lot of it came back on around Easter (a flub that is really not like me).  I've got the vast majority of that back off now, but I'm not willing to call it a win.  1 stamina and that's it. 

250 dollars saved?  That happened thanks to tax season.  Some of it has since been spent, but it was used to install a new kitchen floor, so I think that's legit (I did pay for it out of savings, after all and not out of my eating and gas money).  3 wisdom

Overall, I give myself a C-, but honestly, it was more complex than that thanks to my injury. 

One of my other big goals was to crush my ice cream addiction.  How did I do?  Well, I did 1 full 21 day sugar detox (100% clean) and I'm in the middle of a second.  In between I had 2 servings of ice cream (which was the plan).  So overall, I'd say it's not even a little bit gone, but it's under control which is progress. 

Level 3 Human Ranger
My Current Challenge

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines