A bet for a healthier and biker me!

I'm turning a new leaf in my determination to lose my unhealthy weight and live better.  I have a bet with my husband of 9 years.  He hates motorcycles and think its death on wheels. I understand that, but I still want one! So if I lose 50 lbs in one year's time then I can buy my bike- he will help- and not hear one word about it from him. 

Now one year is totally doable.  Of course I didn't focus and kept resorting to my bad habits so now I only have 6 months left in the year bet.  6 MONTTHS!  That said, I will not resort to crazy fads and start downing pills and not eating.  The point is being healthy right?   So I will take a mix of Paleo and Bob Harper's Simple Rules and adapt them to my life.  If I make drastic changes I know I will give up and not follow through.

I was a chunky kid growing up. When I started high school I became very active and lost all the weight.  I went on to college and started well. I was very fit and ate pretty well, but drank tons.  I met my future husband and it was our thing to drink and eat terribly.  I got sick in college so there went my running and working out routine.  The pounds packed on.  After college I rode my bike eveywhere (Philly) and lost the weight again. Then I had to move back home to Texas and ate like a Texan:enchildas, tortillas, refried beans, deep fat fry!  Yeah, I packed the pounds right back on. 

At this point, my hubby and I decided to move to Colorado. We kept on drinking and eating not so healthy. I started to get better and drink less, eat healthy in preparation for maybe having a kid. Then I got pregnant.  I stopped drinking and started eating healthy while pregnant and breastfeeding. Now I am on and off of eating healthy and working out sparadocially. I don't want to be that fat mom who just sits and watches her son play by himself.  So here I am.  6 months into this bet and I have only lost 10 measley pounds.  My mother called me last week and tried to get me to enroll in Weight Watchers.  That was tough.  So I'm done.  Done with fried foods, eating out, drinking most weekends, and living unhealthy.  If anyone reads this, cool.  If not, that's ok- this is for me.  This is my reminder of where I am going and holding myself accountable.  This is my journey to a healthier and bad ass biker me!

Welcome to Nerd Fitness! You've still got plenty of time to rock that bet, and your bike.

Scout 30/Ranger 1 (3 skipped)

Spoiler

"I must not fear. / Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing......Only I will remain."
-Litany Against Fear

Facebook | Twitter | Runkeeper | Strava
Shukar Still Isn't Lion

I think you can do this!!  Take small victories whenever you can.  Dont get caught up in mistakes, no one is perfect and we could all use a little more discipline.  Plus, even if it takes a little more than 6 months, you are getting healthier now and I bet your husband would respect your accomplishment and let you get that bike even if you dont meet the deadline!  

Go for it.

I am an avid moto enthusiast and I've been riding for about 4 years- I love it. I couldn't imagine my life with out.  Please please please please make sure you do your research.

MSF.  Motorcycle safety foundation. They will teach you want you need to know in the bare bones of what you need to know.

Invest in good gear.  It can mean the difference between walking away or dying. yes- the same accident can result in death- or merely some stiffness the next day all depending on your gear.

Don't buy the first shiny bike you see- get one that's beginner appropriate (plus all of these things will help you convince hubby that you are being as safe as you can)

I know it's six months off- but- oh lord I could ramble for days about bike stuff. LOL I'll just step off the soap box now.

You'll do great- stick with it and when you start hunting come back to me with any questions you might have!!